Start by marking “The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)

The Spider

(Elemental Assassin #10)

The tenth book in the bestselling and “outstanding” (Romantic Times) Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series finally reveals for the first time the origins of Gin Blanco’s career as the deadliest of assassins.

Published December 24th 2013 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Spider, please sign up.
Terry Marine Depends what you're looking for. I like a detailed description of fights. If a teenage girl claims to be "the best assassin", there should be a…moreDepends what you're looking for. I like a detailed description of fights. If a teenage girl claims to be "the best assassin", there should be a convincing reason as to why. The story has plot twists, and held my attention; also I liked the heroine. But there are inconsistencies, too. A lot of books make it in to print, which really aren't all that. This is one. (less)
Terry Marine Yeah, they're all written as stand-alone stories, with the characters and setting described in each book.

Choko
*** 3.44 ***

A buddy read with my UF loving assassins at BB&B!

This is book number 10 in the series, but it realy is more of a prequel to the series, giving us a glimpse of Gin as a young assassin still in training... We see her getting ready for one of her first solo jobs, at a time when Fletcher was still monitoring and mentoring her heavily. And we get to see the young, impulsive, hotheaded Gin, who, as most young adults do, thought she knows it all, she can deal with it all, and she can o
Ferdy
2.5 stars — Spoilers

-I have to admit, the only reason I'm reading the new Gin/Elemental Assassin books is for completion's sake, ever since the whole Owen personality transplant my love for the series has all but vanished. I wasn't expecting to like The Spider but it was actually better than I thought it'd be. Even though I enjoyed it more than the last few books (though that's not saying much since I hated the last few), I still had a number of issues with it.

-The whole book was basically just
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy Read with my UF junkies at Buddies Books & Baubles

description

On a good day I struggle with the main character, Gin. As UF heroines go she really isn’t my cup of tea, I still haven’t been able to put an exact finger on why *shrugs* but really if it wasn’t for the cool girl posse and Steven that I’ve been reading this with I might have given up on Gin a while ago. So if I’m already having a hard time with 30 year old Gin can you imagine how well I did with an entire book set in a flashback to 20 ye
Jo
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

06/07/2016 Buddy read with my awesome friends over at BB&B, because we love UF!! May our Wednesday BRs never stop.

Happy anniversary.

In this book we see Gin a decade earlier, before she became the most feared assassin of Ashland.

Fletcher has received a job which Gin wants. He’s been training her for seven years, and she’s had a few solo jobs, but this one would be her first big one. And Gin feels very confident, thinking she’s more than ready to go at it on her own. Add the fact that

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
This is a story that starts almost at the beginning, well, at least at the early start of "The Spider". Unfortunately, what we get is a younger Gin learning a very hard lesson.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was interested in reading this story. Oh sure, I definitely wanted more Fletcher but who wants to go back? However, the pull was too great and I was just too curious!

Thankfully, all the stars aligned because it was wonderful! Once things got going, I could not put the book down and read it
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The Spider is hands-down my favourite Elemental Assassin book to-date and, the fact that it’s the tenth installment is even more impressive! I can count on one hand the number of authors who’s ENTIRE SERIES’ deserves a 5-star rating and it should come as no surprise when I tell you that Jennifer Estep has earned her spot on that list because of Gin Blanco. Not only has she proven that she has talent, but staying power as well!

I loved going back in time to re-visit the Spi
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
The Spider is book ten in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

This is by far one of my favorite series. Each and every installment gives me something new to fall in love with. Estep just keeps delivering on each and every installment!

Now, you can read this novel without every reading any of the other books in the series. The Spider takes the reader back 10-years to the begging. It’s the start of Gin’s career as the assassin known as the Spider.

I loved seeing Gin interact with Fletch
Hmr28
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh....I hate prequels!

And...alas this book did not change my mind. Bland and boring.
AH
Initial Thoughts: An interesting plot device whereby Gin receives some beautiful dark blue roses, which remind her of one of her first hits. The story is 10 years in the past and Gin is younger and a little brash. There's still a lot of details in the cooking, so have a snack ready while you read. There are some nice cameos from main characters in the series before they became main characters. Nicely done.

The Review:
I’ve often wondered about Gin’s early days and how she learned how to be one of
Cheryl La Pa
This was a flashback by Gin about her early days as the Spider. I loved the young, cocky Finn and the banter & rivalry between him and Gin. And Fletcher trying to impart his wisdom on his overconfident, enthusiastic young assassin.
However, I found there was too many cameos to make it believable and I tire of the villains being so rotten to the core.
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the awesome assassin aficionados over at BB&B and part of the MacHalo July TBR Cleanup Challenge.

Actual rating 2.5 stars.

This was the most annoying book of the series so far. And most boring. Because it was a flashback from ten years before in-universe time. I don't usually mind flashbacks and even find them fascinating. It's a way to see the character's growth in the same way as comparing a character from the beginning of a series to the final personality at the end of t
Beth
Gin Blanco is ten years older now but as she looks back at one of the defining moments in her life, we get to relive the haroing experience right along with her.

The Spider is a flash from the past, giving us insight into the now 30 something Gin Blanco AKA the spider. We see the younger Gin, and now understand more thoroughly why she's made some of her life decisions. While meeting or re-meeting characters from her past that come to play pivotal or can play pivotal roles in her future.

Jennifer E
Shelley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*MY Thoughts*

"It all begins with a girl-a stupid, arrogant girl who thought that she could do no wrong.."

In the 10th installment of the Elemental Assassin series, Jennifer Estep takes her character, Gin Blanco aka the Spider, back in time 10 years after she receives a mysterious package of Dark Blue Roses with a note attached saying "Happy Anniversary." Who is the mysterious person sending Gin roses? Why is Gin receiving them on this particular date and time? Is
Douglas Meeks
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I got my ARC of The Spider today and I am hoping to be amazed and enthralled but as a prequel it will have to be awesome to keep those 5 Stars.
------------------------------------------------------
Well I wrote that back in Oct 2013 and was not to excited about a prequel in one of my favorite series. It is mid December and I read it all day yesterday because I could hardly put it down, looks like I get to eat some comments I have made about how I hated prequels. It did indeed earn those 5 St
Steven
While I am not normally a fan of the flashback type book, this one was a great entry. It's not my favorite entry in the series, but it was good to see a little of young Gin and how she learned some of the lessons she needed to learn to become The Spider. I'll give it a little over 4 stars, rounded up. :)
Jen Davis
I wish I could say that I loved this book. I’m a long time fan of this series, but ever since the destruction of Owen, things just haven’t been the same. Owen isn’t my problem here, but I did have many issues. Don’t get me wrong, there were things I enjoyed, but I think it’s time for me to accept that this series and I are just drifting apart.

This is a flashback book, which was kind of disappointing off the bat. After all, by its very nature, it could not advance the overall storyline. What it d
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Vivacious Valkyrie - Marta:
--Actual rating 4.5 Skulls

This series is Urban Fantastic at it's very best! A world not unlike our own is explored, but the addition of magic and supernatural creatures adds to the fun. This is a series well worth reading from the beginning, but this - the 10th book - is a prequel of sorts, so in many ways, a good place for new readers to start.

Although the story begins in the present, the author has cleverly allowed the lead characte
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Gin Blanco's early days as an assassin have been hinted at yet never told until now. Flynn is an exacting teacher and father figure for Gin along with his son Finn. Gin is in constant want for Flynn's approval. Yet she's very impatient with the process of Flynn's teachings. What lessons does Flynn want Gin to learn? Your answers await you in The Spider.

I'm loving this series! The characters and story keep me wanting more and more. I can't wait for my next adventure in this series.
Monica
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was my least favorite novel in the series. It was a giant flashback. The book got better as I went on and there was an interesting teaser with Owen. It gave insight into why she is the way she is but I didn't like one particular event. I look forward to reading her next one.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Love that we got this look into how the Spider really came into her own and more importantly it was so much fun seeing how and when all my favorite characters met! Great addition to the series.
Ina

Wow. I wasn't ready for this.

When I started reading The Spider and realized that it will be probably one big flashback, I was seriously disappointed, because I'm not particularly fond of prequels. So I just rolled my eyes, mentally prepared myself to be let down and wished that it was just a short story I could skip. I dropped my expectations. But as I continued reading, a strange thing happened. I started enjoying this book very much really early on.

Things I liked about The Spider:
1. Fletcher
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally Reviewed at The Book Nympho

With The Spider being the 10th book in the Elemental Assassin series one can’t help but wonder if Jennifer Estep can still bring the same outstanding writing and characters to us. I’m here to tell you that she can and she did!

You could read The Spider without having read the series because Estep takes us back 10 years to show us a young and naive Gin in the early stages of her becoming The Spider but you will miss all the little easter eggs to events and cha
Ezinwanyi
This book purports to give us the background of how Genevieve Snow earns her stripes on her path to becoming Ashland's most feared assassin--The Spider. In Truth, it is a book about a specific event that helped solidify Fletcher's lessons and cement them for Gin on her first solo assignment as the Spider.

Since this is an e-arc, I won't ruin it for you fans...but I saw similarities with her behavior in this book with her behavior in Spider's Bite, book 1 of this series. I also found it interestin
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
How did Gin become the Spider? How did she become such a good assassin?  Anyone really good at their job learns from experience and mistakes. What kind of mistakes did Gin make? In The Spider, it's a painful read from beginning until close to the end. It's difficult because Gin is exposed as a young, arrogant and self-righteous avenging angel.

Ms. Estep does a great job at filling in Gin's early years as she learns to be a killer. It's done very well because it shows how a cocky person can fall s
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE SPIDER is the Elemental Assassin book I’ve been waiting for. I’ll admit to being a few books behind in my reading, but this prequel installment doesn’t require you to be all caught up on current events to enjoy it, or even be a reader of the series at all! Full of the standard Estep drama, action and witty quips, THE SPIDER was everything I wished for and more.

The majority of the book (probably about 95%) took place in a flashback stuck between two
Marta Cox
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is Urban Fantastic at it's very best. A world not unlike our own is explored but the addition of magic and supernatural creatures adds to the fun. This is a series well worth reading from the beginning but this the tenth book is a prequel of sorts so in many ways a good place for new readers to start. Although the story begins in the present the author has cleverly allowed the lead character Gin to take a trip down memory lane and what an intriguing journey it is.
Gin is an assassin w
Heather
For the first time, the origins of Gin Blanco’s career as the deadly assassin “the Spider” are revealed in full. In a story that pre-dates the other nine books in the series, Gin Blanco goes through her paces to become the most feared assassin in the Ashland.
I did not like this story quite as much as I thought I would. The "villain" seemed obvious to me from the very beginning. It also was a little ridiculous how she just happened to run into every one she now knows. Also why is it that she is s
Theresa
4 Stars... This read took a little time for me to connect with... The author decided to taker readers into the past showing a younger, naive, and impulsive Gin who succumbs to a manipulation and makes a fatal mistake... It was interesting witnessing this younger Gin and not become frustrated with her inability to see the deceit occurring in front of her; I had to keep reminding myself that it was not the same character I have come to know in the first nine books... Once the story gained momentum ...more

• Hell Bent (Broken Magic, #1)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires, #10)
  • Dark Days (Black London, #6)
  • On Midnight Wings (The Maker's Song, #5)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Darklove (Dark Ink Chronicles, #5)
  • Hellhound (Deadtown, #5)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)
“Actually,” Finn said, sniffing, “I was too good for you. I’ve ruined you for all other men.” “Hardly. I’ve had longer, deeper, more meaningful relationships with cheeseburgers than I did with you.” “Yes, but at least I didn’t go straight to your ass,” he said in a smug, superior tone.” 13 likes
“All kidding aside, just be careful around this guy, okay, Gin? A slick smile can hide a lot of sins.” He paused. “Trust me. I know all about that.” “Of course you do. You’ve broken far more hearts than I’ve ever cut into.” 4 likes