Start by marking “The Shadow Reigns (Witch-Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Reigns (Witch-Hunter, #2)

The Shadow Reigns

(Witch-Hunter #2)

The world has been thrown into darkness by the Shadow Witch's revolution. The witch-hunters are scattered, but still strong.

The race is now on to gather allies and win the war. New enemies will arise; loyalties will be pushed to the limit.

And an important question will be answered: can a witch-hunter that practices magic ever be trusted, or will he be persecuted?
It is s
Published December 15th 2013 (first published December 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Reigns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Reigns

TeaAndBooks
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Firstly, a HUGE thank you to the wonderful author who sent me a review e-book of this novel!

Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Style: 5/5
Originality: 5/5

This is the second book in the Witch-Hunter trilogy and it couldn’t be better!
We continue with the story of the Witch-Hunters and the war against the witches. We learn about the tyrannical reign of the Shadow Witch. But, there’s a twist- we learn about the power of love, whether it can conquer all and whether love is always right, especially if this lov

Miranda Reads
"The witches have us surrounded."
Mrs. Astley blinked..."How very inconvenient, I've just made a pot of tea."
After barely surviving his most recent battle, George "Hunter" Astley must contend with a myriad of problems.

His body is in shambles and his heart is in pieces.
No, it had been worse. The woman he loved had turned out to be the Shadow Witch.
Every minute he wastes on recovery is another that Sophie, who turned out to be the shadow witch, has to plan her next move.

He has nothi
Merril Anil
Enticing read

First of all a huge thanks to the author for providing me with the copy of the book.

I had fallen for the series right from the first page of the first book, The Shadow Rises. In fact I had fallen in love with the series so much that I had begged her for the sequels but it took a long time for me to return back to the series and now that I have returned back, all those emotions that made me fall for the book in the first place is back. I realized how much I had missed Hunter, the
Sharon Lash
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lidia
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my review of the audio version as posted on Audible:

The second book in the Witch-Hunter series is dfinitely better and definitely darker than the first one, and it makes you want more... I rated the story in the first one at 3.5 stars, this installment is somewhere between 4.5 and 4.9:)

Hunter and Sophie are now on two opposing sides of the war - both equally powerful, though Hunter is still to learn everything about what he is capable of doing and acting on instinct rather than knowledge
Rose English
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-fav-s
Book 73 of my Goodreads Challenge

This is the second reading of this book but this time I bought it from the lovely author when I met her at a book signing I now have the complete series in paperback. They sit on my shelve of all time favourites.

I first read this book in ebook format in 2015 after I could not put down book 1. This time it is all out war between the witches and the witch-hunters but do we know who is friend and who is foe. The world as we know it has been plunged into darkness th
Wilmar Luna
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The Shadow Reigns is the sequel to book 1 The Shadow Rises in K.S. Marsden’s the witch hunter trilogy. Originally, K.S. sent me the digital copy of books 1, 2, and 3 so that I could read them and review them. Unfortunately, without a kindle or tablet, it was impossible for me to read these books in a timely fashion. So, rather than never finish I decided to buy both books so I can read and write the review this author deserves.

She did not disappoint.

The Shadow Rises is a big improvement over the
Claire
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me the series has highlighted how difficult it can be to identify who is in the right, who is the good guys, it beautifully illustrates that history is written by the victors. While the good guys seem obvious at the beginning of book 1 the further into book 2 I got the less obvious it is.

Both sides do things that are morally questionable and both sides believe passionately that their cause is the right one. As the reader probably supposed to side with the Witch Hunters and yet at times this
Lana
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have just read this very thrilling book in one sitting. The shadow witch is back and she is still aiming on taking down the whole witch-hunter team. She has had her baby, a son whose father is George Astley the 7th gen witch hunter himself. Sophie has tried to persuade Hunter to join the witches since his newly discovered magical abilities evolved however, he chose the other side, the side he had been trained for as a witch-hunter all his life. Hunter fights with all his might against the witche ...more
Ashley
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second story in this series and continues with the awesome characters that Marsden introduced to us before! I really like what she did with the plot twists in this one. I do think there could have been a little more description and slower pacing to get everything in, but overall it's a good story that has a very fun premise!

Deedra
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good follow up to The Shadow Witch.There is so much packed into the 4 hours,you really need to keep up! Jonathan Ip was a fine narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Tanya
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the shadow witch has scattered all the hunters but they are still strong. he is no longer trusted and he has a love which he has to keep hidden. he needs to gain allies so they can fight the next battle. see if they will win this time

Roger
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fourth read/listen from author K.S. Marsden was well-written and entertaining. Narrator Jonathon Ip’s British accent made for enjoyable listening. I'll be reading more by her in the future. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018)
Rebecca Waldron
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Didn't see that coming.

Holy crap! Another good one! I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that! I didn't see that coming! Totally bums me out that some faves in the series are gone.
Jacqueline Jackson
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Good Book!

This series is amazing! I read the first two books in two days. I'm now on to the third. It is extremely rare for me to read more than one book at a time in a series. That's how good this series is.
Zoltán
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a review copy from the author for an honest review.

This is the second book of the trilogy. While there is a good introduction, it is a direct continuation and should be read only after absolving the first one.

I read the first book, gave it five start and was happy to get my hands on this. The story continues where the previous one finished. The world is in a disarray, the Shadow Witch has the upper hand and the MMC is just the shadow of its former self. (No pun intended :) )

As with ma
J.C. Brennan
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
K.S. Marsden's The Shadow Rises
It is about a witch hunter who has been called Hunter, though this is no his true name; his name is George. He is a 7th generation witch hunter which makes him powerful, witty, and sharp-edged to a witch and their influences. He is hardcore, staying away from emotions, though he still has them. He is human after all but shrouds his in his work. He protects a girl, Sophie, in the begin of the book but she will come back to haunt him. She ends up wanting to become a
Ayla
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lorraine
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, paranormal
I read the three books in the Witch-Hunter series back to back.
The Shadow Rises drew me in after the first few pages and wouldn't let go so I moved straight onto The Shadow Reigns, quickly followed by The Shadow Falls.
These books now make up one of my favourite trilogies!

The second book in the series starts with Hunter recovering from the revelations and after-effects of book ones' ending. It moves at a slightly slower pace, but with more descriptive writing. The details of the magic make it com
Jonel
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I quite enjoy Marsden’s writing style. She draws you into the story with her inviting yet dense and thought-provoking writing. A sense of darkness winds its way through Marsden’s descriptions painting this world in shades of red and grey. Everything is very easy to picture, and the storyline definitely sparks your imagination. The story definitely ends a bit harshly at the ending without being a definite cliff-hanger, leaving you reaching for the next novel in the series.

I quite enjoyed getting
Maryann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, witches
Greg Thomas
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow Reigns.
Gripping sequel to “The Shadow Rises”.
K.S Marsden develops the conflict between humans and witches that began in Book 1 (I’d recommend reading this prior to The Shadow Reigns as you’ll be more familiar with the characters and simply enjoy it more). The author uses her ability to create and develop a new team to work alongside Hunter and James and spends some time exploring the relationships that evolve between them, so that at times, the pace of the action slows down, but then,
A.J. Chaudhury
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Shadow Reigns continues the story of Hunter Astley. Like the previous one, Marsden's writing remains powerful, easily drawing one into her world. The depth of the magic remains awesome too. The character building is so good you can actually forgive the rare times when interactions between characters were just a bit below the mark. The ending felt a bit abrupt, like it had in the first book, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Overall, this book is a very good sequel and I recommend it to e ...more
Rose
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up where the last one finished.
I think this is a very original series - its not often witches are cast as the bad guys.
There's the romance between Hunter and Sophie - I wish that we'd seen more of Sophie in this one, there were only teasing snippets to hint at what she was thinking and feeling.
But there seems to be more focus on friendships in this book, including an amazing storyline for my fave character James. I still can't believe it!
I thought it ended a bit abruptly, but I'm
Teresa
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Astley VII, nickname Hunter, is a witch hunter. Unfortunately, the mother of his son (Sophia) is a very powerful witch, a Shadow witch. When they meet in battle, it's explosive! Full of fast paced action,with a great plot and characters, looking forward to book 3!
I received a complimentary copy and freely give my honest review.
Jodi Woody
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This second book in the witch Hunter series continues with the rest of the story of Hunter Ashley. I liked it. I did like book one better than this one, but still a good work. I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review. I give it 3 stars.
Joanna Costin
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Not quite as fast paced as I'd prefer, and the interactions between the witches and the witch hunters annoyed me at times. The magic sometimes felt like it hadn't been fully thought through, or was being used conveniently. But it wasn't a bad book and I will probably read the third at some point.
Barbara Desmond
2.5 Stars

Since I'm still kinda newish to reading ebooks I am still trying to get into the habit of checking the nether realms AKA the Docs section for books I download and totally forget about when they disappear from my sight. I believe the author might have sent me this one. Whoever did thanks for that. The cover is creepy.

Anyhoo I did like the writing but I am debating on whether or not to read the next one. If it is just a trilogy I probably will. Honestly I think the second book and the fi
Aly
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still really enjoy K.S. Marsden series so far. This book for me slowed down just a little. But the characters are still great the story line is exciting for me. I look forward to the next book! * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
John McCleary
Jun 13, 2017
  • Shaman: The Awakening
  • Scented
  • Wander This World
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Scandalous Heroes Box Set: Sensual Romance
  • I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)
  • The Frenzy War (The Frenzy Wolves, #2)
  • A Guardian's Desire
  • The Sticks
  • Wind Follower
  • Not If You Were the Last Vampire On Earth
  • Odd Adventures with your Other Father
  • Winter's Bite
  • Dark Elves: Taken (Dark Elves #1 & #2)
  • The Elven King (Claimed Series, #1)
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Like Part of the Family
  • The Way of the Black Beast (The Malja Chronicles, #1)
Kelly S. Marsden grew up in Yorkshire, and there were two constants in her life - books and horses.
Graduating with an equine degree from Aberystwyth University, she has spent most of her life since trying to experience everything the horse world has to offer. She is currently settled into a Nutritionist role for a horse feed company in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
She writes Fantasy stories part-tim

Witch-Hunter (3 books)
  • The Shadow Rises (Witch-Hunter, #1)
  • The Shadow Falls (Witch-Hunter, #3)
“I thought you guys could detect witches." Jonathan muttered as soon as he got over his shock at seeing two people materialise in front of him. The wiccan sat on the floor, his shoulder being strapped with a makeshift bandage, by the ever-practical Ian.

"We detect magic, not witches." Hunter clarified. "We can't feel anything out of the ordinary, unless they start casting."

"Oh fantastic!" Jonathan groaned. "I'll remember that excuse later.”
18 likes
“A wiccan?" Ian's deep voice rang out. Hunter did not have to look to know that his friend was tense with the idea of the unknown.

"Relax." James answered. "It's like a witch without powers... or a human with magic. Something like that."

Jonathan looked as confused by James' description as the rest of those present.”
5 likes