Start by marking “Moeder, kom thuis” as Want to Read:
Moeder, kom thuis

Moeder, kom thuis

In Moeder, kom thuis heeft Paul Hornschemeier op even kunstzinnige als aangrijpende wijze het psychologische proces van verlies en het verwerken daarvan verbeeld.
Paperback, First
Published 2009 by Atlas (first published 2003)

Start your review of Moeder, kom thuis
karen
i can't even get close to reviewing this book. ("well, who asked you to?," they sneer) i can't but i feel like i have to. i have been putting it off for a really long time now but i think i have to get it over with once and for all. this review done, i am going to wash my hands of all complicated human emotions because this week has been far too full of mourning and apprehension and second-guessing and worry. after this, i am pure cylon and you can all go to hell with your feelings.

after this r
Archit
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks
Puissant!

Melancholy at its striking best.

There is a sweet pain and there is a bad pain. Sometimes, some souls suffer sufferings. Not a problem, not uncommon.

The problem begins when they start loving this suffering.

To be frank, I did not expect a book to render me clueless after 25% of its total page length. I did not know where it was heading, what the genre was or am I reading an actual book even?

And then it came to me. Hard and powerful. The keeper of the grounds and the mask he wears. I was
El
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shit.

This one disarmed me.

Today is beautiful outside. A little warm for my tastes, but this is the weather normal people like and they all go outside and do normal-people things. Personally I like a little gloominess, a little overcast skies, even some rain. It doesn't have to be cold, but I'm not a hot-weather kind of gal. I do not like to sweat. Or even glisten. I do not like to glisten.

But in honor of the nice weather, I took the longest walk known to man, and it was good. I went all over the
Pooja
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Archit Ojha
Shelves: graphic-manga
My mother loved to give presents.

Ever felt as if you're so shattered after reading a book that hardly one or two sentences will come out of your mouth, not just because you are flabbergasted with the brilliancy of the book but also because you are troubled to see what situations people go through dealing with death of their loved ones?

The story is about a son and father dealing with the death of their mother/wife.

Both have different styles of handling the situation.
Made me think about As I La
Lesley
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so i read this book because 1)it was a graphic novel and as of late, being a new mommy and all, graphic novels complement my short attention span very well. 2)i was familiar with this guy because of the whole jeffrey brown/holy consumption affiliation and figured it was about time to read something from him, especially because the drawings were just the right type for me when it came to graphic novels and 3)because i saw it on karen's list of books that made her cry and being the nosy me, i just ...more
Licha
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel

This was just so weird for me.

The story is about a boy and his father. The boy's mother has just died and his father is basically like a zombie that he neglects his 7yr old son. The uncle and aunt try and step in and help but it's not enough. Dad gets institutionalized and the boy goes to live with uncle and aunt.

There were just so many things wrong with this book. The print was so hard to read, I almost gave up into the first two pages. The colors were a muddy, depressing tone (it fi
The Crimson Fucker
WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IN PUBLIC!

I think the word depressive comes short to describe this comic thingy… is there a word that express more depression than well, depression??? Maybe There is a term among my people used to describe depressive songs... it translates to something like “wrist slitters” or something like that. but if there is an actual word for it please let me know so I can update this review! When I asked a friend to pick a short comic for me the other day I was expecting som
Vishal Katariya
Trigger warning: suicide.

Good grief. What a book. Don't read if you're not in a good place mentally.
Nicole
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
Sad and depressing, but beautiful at the same time.
Seth T.
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It has to be a hard decision for an author to begin a book with something that moves in the direction of North-by-North-Impenetrable. Especially when the rest of the book is engaging and enjoyable. And moreso when the author hopes to secure readers.
Mother, Come Home by Paul Hornschemeier

(Those who don't write to be read are more than welcome to make not just their introduction but their entire book a roadblock to diligent readers.)

Personally, I'm working on a novel and the first chapter is a bit... high concept. And therefore, a bit
Doc.
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book happened to me like a gust of wind: sudden, unexpected and startling.

It had been a while since I read a graphic novel, so I reached for the shortest one at hand, deciding to give this a second chance. I’d started it a few months earlier and promptly set it aside because the first few pages are just... weird. But on this attempt, once I’d made it past the oddity that is the introduction, it proved a thoroughly captivating and completely devastating book.

This is a tale of death and loss,
Lisa
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Recommended to Lisa by: Readers' Advisory Group

WOW!

I read a lot of comic books as a kid, but have not read many graphic novels as an adult because I generally find them unappealing. This book is so different from any book I have ever read. The pictures are an integral part of this story and bring meaning to the words.

In graphic novel form, this book tells the story of father and 7 year old son who have lost their wife/mom, mostly through the eyes of the son. Even though the pictures are kind of odd at times:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The pictures really captured m
Charles
Apr 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book is sad and dumb, it probably shouldnt be read by anyone but absentee parents, and only so they can see the bullshit that their selfish behavior puts their children through. the final actions of the father in this book are strictly self-important and vain. it makes me angry even to have read it. angry and sick.
Sooraya Evans
Jun 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall depressing.
Too wordy for a graphic novel. Even worse, the font chosen is hard to follow.
The artwork is also lame.
If possible, skip this one.
Vijetha
"My Heart is far too clouded."

Death. Loss. Agony. Existential Dread.

"Sometimes, when I'm sad, I think life was a commercial for something so much bigger, but then we ordered it and it was broken or didn't come. That's a bit muddled, I think. Does that make any sense? Probably not, I think up a lot of things when I'm sad that I think must be pretty great or profound, but then someone points out that they (the ideas) are foolish."
Liam
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: of-comics
Spoiler-free review

My impressions.
Pros:
-Nice linework, textures, colour scheme and panels to suit the mood.
-Easy to read speech and panel transitions.
-Clear focus (albeit, not direction).
-Punch-in-the-gut morose imagery.

Cons:
-Too melodramatic and directionless.
-Plot feels claustrophic and much too abstract/cryptic/confusing for some readers.

I'm a bit unsettled about this. This is an odd disappointment, as I tend to very much enjoy work that plays with this level of 'severity'... I feel lik
Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mother, Come Home" is Paul Hornschemeier's first graphic novel. I've read two of his previous books "Let Us.." and "Paradoxes" which were interesting and enjoyable with shades of Clowes and Ware. It follows the breakdown of the family once the mother dies leaving the father and son shattered. The father seems hardest hit - he is unable to function properly and the 7 year old boy soon assumes the day to day running of the household and acts as secretary to his father. Soon it's found out that th ...more
Ademption
What a gut punch of a book. There are few emotionally manipulative, emotionally draining works by indie white people, in the category of white-people-hating-stuff, that I feel are on the level of actual tragedy. As such, I was skeptical of "Mother, Come Home," but Paul Hornschemeier deftly transcends this category. Technically beautiful, this book is well worth your time if you can stomach depressingly sad works. Though the repetitive dream sequence at the beginning is slightly off-putting, the ...more
Kwoomac
Maybe because I went into this read thinking, "Brace yourself, you're going to cry" that I never got to the point where I needed to. Yes, it's beautifully written book and a few times I choked up. There's the time where there's a shot of everyone sleeping in their separate beds at night. Another time when Thomas talks about the feel of his father's cordoroy jacket.

The kid was great, walking around in his lion mask. It reminded me of the kid in that movie A Perfect World. I loved that kid too.
Joshlynn
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read someone's review that said not to read this book if you've lost someone or feel culpable in someone's death. To which I cry bullshit. As far as I'm concerned, this book belongs on that hallowed list of comics that are required reading for the entire human race. ...more
Farhana
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-books
Melancholic!
A poignant story of the loss of a family's mother - how father & son strive to accept the fact through various levels of escapism & fantasy. Paul's drawings provide a beautiful narrative of this fateful sad tale.
Spike Dunn
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. And completely depressing. After reading, I sat silently for fifteen minutes contemplating the impossibility of happiness. And then promptly watched “Animal Crackers,” as a rebuttal.
Kales
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What. Did. I. Just. Read? Holy. Crap. I. Just. Can't. Even. Right. Now. ...more
Mariyam
The artwork was great, it captured the mood perfectly. I liked how the drawing style slightly changed in Thomas' reality vs. imaginations. I loved the part where he was imagining his aunt and uncle as a duck and a cat, I believe. I'd love to see that scene made into an animation, with like clay figures.

The ending was complete whiplash, I can't completely comprehend what happened with Thomas and his dad on the cliff. The abruptness was actually a good shift from the flatness before it.
(arc)
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this helped me process the grief i have a little bit more. grateful for that.
Adam
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Hornschemeier writes a heart-breaking book. There's no getting around that. Nor, after reading "Mother, Come Home" is there really any desire to.

Death is one of life's inescapable parts, and this books deals with it on many different levels. I'm pretty sure this is autobiographical, seeing as that Paul's uncle (referenced and drawn at several points throughout the book) draws the introduction. It grants its reader a squirmingly intimate look at grief and loss through the eyes of a small boy
Julie
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's what happened: I was at the library looking for Faith Erin Hicks, who writes delightful books that are very different from this one. But this book was alphabetically nearby, and so beautifully bound that I HAD to touch it. And then I had to pick it up and read the back.

The wife-and-mother of the story dies. I said, "Hell no, I'm not reading this!" I am a wife-and-mother and am not drawn to stories conjuring my surviving family mourning me.

Then I read the first page - like you do when yo
Stephen
Not great. The story could have been tightened up a bit. The art could have definitely benefitted from more accurate rendering. The problems I have with the book are not due to the author's experimental bent, but rather from a technical, craftsman perspective.

The story content was fine, meaning I didn't have a problem with the suicide or the mental health hospitalization. But if this was fiction, there were plenty of opportunities to make these characters more likeable and more three-dimensiona
Bryce Holt
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Read this whole book in about 1 1/2 hours. It was beautiful, tragic, and overall, perfect. I've never read another book like it, and recommend it to anyone and everyone, so long as they have not recently lost someone close to them. I think it would be too challenging if that were the case. What an incredibly heart-wrenching and moving piece...this is a literary endeavor, regardless of if it is a graphic novel or not. Best book of the year, so far, and what a surprise that this has not been laude ...more
Michelle
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm gutted after reading this. My mouth literally hung ajar for 10 minutes after turning the last page. This is a powerful and honest portrayal of how grief and mental illness can have profound and complicated impacts on loved ones. Read this. Just maybe not right before bed like I did since you'll want to digest and really reflect on it when done. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Confidence: How to Succeed at Being Yourself
  • Everyday Matters
  • And the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 1
Paul Hornschemeier was born in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1977 and raised in nearby rural Georgetown, Ohio. As a child he liked to draw, dreaming that he might publish his own comic books one day. While majoring in philosophy and psychology at The Ohio State University, Hornschemeier was introduced to the graphic novel Ghost World by Daniel Clowes and began exploring underground and literary comics. He s ...more

News & Interviews