Start by marking “Coldness of Marek (Serengard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Coldness of Marek (Serengard, #1)

Coldness of Marek

(Serengard #1)

Serengard has been under Orion rule for centuries — centuries of insufferable adherence to laws and traditions that its people no longer believe in. Raised by her scholarly grandfather in the fiery southern city of Neroi, Trzl is dedicated to turning the monarchy into a free society where knowledge is king and no one has to be subject to the whims of an Orion.

As the rebell
Published August 6th 2013 by Dublin Mist Press (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Coldness of Marek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coldness of Marek

Start your review of Coldness of Marek (Serengard, #1)
Hannah
First of all, this is my first Goodreads Giveaway win, so I was pretty excited to receive it.

Pros:
I thought it was a good storyline. I was impressed by the imperfection of the protagonists. No one is perfect, and neither were the main characters. They made flawed decisions and said things (or didn't say) some things that drove you crazy.

Cons:
It was a strange writing style-- one that I'm certainly not used to. For instance, sometimes there would be question marks at the end of questions and somet
Debra
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Book Lovers
Recommended to Debra by: Author
Beautifully written fantasy book. I really enjoyed reading this tale of the lives of Trzl, Malcolm, and Lord Marek. The characters are so deeply intertwined, yet easily understood. The richness of the landscape is brought out so you feel that you are there, this is truly a fantasy book that draws you in to another world. Really amazing. I am very thankful to have won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway!
Mara Valderran
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I haven't felt this immersed in the world of a book in a long time. Rachel O'Laughlin's attention to detail is amazing. She doesn't spend pages upon pages describing the world to you, but does an excellent job of letting you see it all through each character's eyes. The changes in POV were fluid, the overall voice never faltering, but still giving you a feel for the differences in the characters and their views. There were times I would come back from a reading break and forget that the story wa ...more
Sharrice
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
See original review and author interview here on my blog.

I received a copy of Coldness of Marek for an honest review.

Trzl has been a part of the rebellion since she could remember. Under the wing of the leader, Trzl’s grandfather Trzl feels very strongly about the cause to remove all the Orion’s from rule. At a meeting one night she meets Mikal who Trzl immediately falls for, but their beliefs are different and those differences separate them by worlds. Still the two can’t stay away from each ot
Hafsah Faizal
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Serengard has been under the rule of Orion for centuries. And now the people are rebelling. They shall overthrow the Royal Family.

Trzl, grandaughter of Otreya the leader of the rebellion, is one of many that wishes her people were free of the laws. Enter Mikel, the mysterious loyalist farmer, who seems to be intent on changing her mind on the King and the rebellion. Before long Trzl finds herself alone in a tangled web of betrayals, danger, and heartbreak.

Woah, Rachel O’Laughlin knows how to wri
Darci Cole
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy fantasy, you will love the Serengard novels. They're set up in a way I've never seen before, and it makes reading them an adventure of its own. I've been privileged enough to already get an eye on a section of book two and a section of book three, and from what I've seen all three will make you love the characters, get you invested in an incredible world, and touch your heart for good... and sometimes ill.

As for COLDNESS itself, this is Trzl's story. I wasn't sure I liked her at fir
Crystal Clifton
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: first-reads
I can sum this up in a short review, I gave it a four star because it kept you in the story in the lives of the characters but especially the main character Trzl. Living life running and fighting and not knowing who to trust is a big part of her life. I felt like I could see every detail of the book. I believe everyone should have a chance at this book for reading. I won this on goodreads and I don't know why it took me so long to read it. Thanks for such a great book.
Michelle Roberts
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4.5/5 Stars.

OK, I'm biased. I admit it. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is. All I can say is that this book, written by my lovely Critique Partner, is amazing. It was such a good thing to take down the old version. This is the rebooted version and it is sooo much better!

Great characterization, engaging characters and plot. I can't wait to see the completed version and read it yet again!
Savina
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first Goodreads giveaway first reads, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first few chapters were harder to start with but once I got into the plot with all it's twists and turns, I couldn't put it down. Wonderfully written and anxious for the sequel.
Brett Jonas
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started this book, intending to read two or three chapters and then go to bed.

...3 hours later...

I finished the book and crawled into bed, muttering "why, Mikel, why?!?"

Yes, it's one of those books. I can't recommend this highly enough!
Holly
Thank you, Hafsah @IceyBooks for making me add YET ANOTHER book to my TBR mountain!! But it just sounds too dang good to pass up. Sigh.
Jolene Haley
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review to come...
Michelle Roberts
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
See review for new version.
H. E. Gryphus
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been struggling with fantasy novels lately. Nothing has really drawn me in. Until this. I couldn't stop reading. Absolutely wonderful book. Loved it. LOVED.
Sep 01, 2013 added it
Fantastic, complex, truly interesting characters and a great - and constantly surprising - plot! What a fabulous fantasy! Can't wait for the next!
Rachel O'Laughlin
Mar 16, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure/fantasy fans, young adults
Lauren Garafalo
Bonnie Colvert
Amy
Marcie
May 13, 2012
Rachel O’Laughlin grew up writing adventure stories on an archaic laptop that only ran one program, couldn’t connect to the internet, and died every few days—which provided a nice excuse to use a typewriter in the middle of an epic murder scene. After high school, she pushed novels to the backburner for immersion in the arts, touring with her band, and a hands-on education in sustainable living. A ...more

Serengard (2 books)
  • Knights of Rilch (Serengard, #2)