Start by marking “The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Road to Oz

(Oz #5)

Meet Dorothy's new friends, the Shaggy Man, Button Bright and Polychrome, as you travel with them to the Emerald City. Share their adventures with the Musicker and the Scoodlers. See how they escape from the Soup-Kettle and what they found at the Truth Pond. Find out how they are able to cross the Deadly Desert and finally get to the Emerald City of Oz.
Published 1909

Start your review of The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
Evgeny
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A shaggy-looking guy called Shaggy Man asked Dorothy for directions; the latter trying to show the right road completely lost her way and the pair ended up in a magical land - not Oz, but somewhere close to it geographically. Their decided to proceed to Oz instead of going back to Kansas. By doing so they met a lot of magical creatures and saw a lot of magical countries.

In the review of a previous book of the series I mentioned that L. Frank Baum had great imagination which was clearly
Paul E. Morph
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another trip to Oz for Dorothy and Toto lovers will be pleased to hear that her little dog is along for the ride again this time.

Speaking of Toto, I'm slightly puzzled as to why every other animal arriving in Oz suddenly develops the capacity for human speech but Toto sticks to barks and woofs. Perhaps he feels doggy talk is superior to people chatter...

I enjoyed most of the new characters introduced in this volume, particularly the Shaggy Man (cripes, Scoob!), but found Button-Bright to be
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Catching up with the classics # 11

Well just whimsical
I always enjoy an Oz novel, even if its the new Dorothy Must Die series, which one can appreciate so much more the more one reads these old school Baum books. This time it is Ozmas birthday, so its time to celebrate! We meet some new friends while inviting some old favorites. Such a quick read too!
Obsidian
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
So I hated this book. Like a lot. I got this way back in February and only finished it in July because I started going through my Kindle device and started downloading books to read back in February. I originally only read 4 percent and said nope and put the book aside. When I finished it in July I decided that was it for me, no more Oz books. The only saving grace is that I didn't pay money for it. I got it for free on Amazon.

Dorothy is still a pain in the butt who doesn't have the common sense
Emily
While not as dark as the last book, The Road to Oz has many similarities to Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz. Again, our little heroine unintentionally sets off on a journey during which she meets a host of new characters, experiences a few easily-overcome challenges, and ends up in Oz. This time, though, there wasn't really any conflict and only one encounter with a malicious opponent on their travels. The Shaggy Man was actually a bit creepy at the beginning (my kids have been taught to run and ...more
TJ✨
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
So im reading all the Oz books plus the side books but feeling a little sick so review to come when i'm feeling better
Jason Pettus
Sep 19, 2009 rated it liked it
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally. This review covers all 14 of the Baum Oz books, which is why it's found on all 14 book pages here.)

I think it's fairly safe by now to assume that nearly everyone in Western society is familiar with The Wizard of Oz, most of us because of the classic 1939 movie adaptation; and many realize as well
あきこ
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Dorothy gets lost about 15 minutes away from her house in Kansas after she decides to help a stranger, Shaggy Man, get to Butterfield. One thing leads to another and she's no longer in Kansas anymore.
As the Shaggy Man and Dorothy try to find their way, they meet up with other individuals who have lost their way: Button-Bright and Polychrome (the daughter of the rainbow).

Their adventures include: the secret behind the love magnet, entering the town of Foxville, the queen of the
Amy
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-books-read
This, is, quite frankly, the worst of all the Oz books I've read. I got the feeling that, by the end, Baum was bored with writing it and just stopped trying.

It starts rather disturbingly in that Dorothy walks away from her farm alone with a stranger called The Shaggy Man who says that he's lost and needs directions. Since Dorothy has no sense at all of stranger danger, she goes off with this man who swears that he has a "love magnet" that attracts everyone to him. Eventually, he leads Dorothy
Jenna
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
I've been reading my way through the Oz books lately in order to fill in some gaps of children's literature I'd missed as a kid. I wasn't too happy with the previous story because it felt like Baum didn't really feel any of it and just wrote Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz because he was pressured by a publisher as well as ravenous fans who wrote him imploring for more Oz. I found myself more than a little peeved that he allowed children to dictate what he put in his book. Sure, he pleased his ...more
Cassie
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children
As I continue to read these books as an adult I am shocked by what Baum has gotten away with as an author. Some of the spark that I had for this series as a child is quickly leaving as I realize some of the mechanics that he uses as an author that I simply am not fond of or even okay with. He often calls people or things stupid in his books. He belittles frequently and he continues to do that in this book. He also doesn't seem to be that respectful for the most part to his actual fans. It ...more
Kat  Hooper
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
OK. Its obvious whats going on here. As L. Frank Baum explained in the foreword to one of the OZ books (and Ive seen such sentiments in some of his other forewords, too):
It's no use; no use at all. The children won't let me stop telling tales of the Land of Oz. I know lots of other stories, and I hope to tell them, some time or another; but just now my loving tyrants won't allow me. They cry: "Oz Oz! more about Oz, Mr. Baum!" and what can I do but obey their commands?
I think its sweet that
Abigail
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oz Fans
When a shaggy traveler asks Dorothy Gale the way to Butterfield, the helpful young Kansas girl sets out to show him the way, only to find herself caught up in another magical adventure when the road inexplicably shifts, leading her and her companion into fairyland. Soon meeting Button Bright, a beautiful but not-so-clever toddler, as well as Polychrome, the lost daughter of the rainbow, the companions slowly make their way closer and closer to Oz, hoping to attend Ozma's upcoming birthday ...more
Madeline
3.5 stars for me. I was thinking 2-2.5 Stars most of this book.

Nothing too exciting UNTIL Ozma had her birthday party.

Love the eclectic group of guests!

Such gaiety!

Grandiose and picturesque shows!

Stately dinners!

And a spectacular exodus!

Whoop to the author!
Jeanette
These books are starting to feel a little repetitive. Somehow Dorothy, unintentionally, ends up on a journey to find OZ and along the way she meets a new cast of eccentric characters and/or she is reunited with every eccentric character she has met on her previous journeys.
Maybe I need take a longer break before I read the next book.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I was first given a copy of this for my birthday when I was about 9 or 10, and read it several times. I never read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as a child (only been terrified of the flying monkeys in the movie!), nor did I know until then that there were any other Oz stories. Thanks to Project Gutenberg I was able to read it again and see that it pretty much stands the test of time, though I wonder what today's helicopter parents would make of the Scoodlers. Kids, however, often like to be scared ...more
Robyn
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-books, 2011
Wendy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, five-star
Another great Oz book!

Dorothy meets the Shaggy Man, a friendly man who is sorta of lost, who wants to know the way to Butterfield. Dorothy starts walking with him and suddenly she gets lost! She meets a little boy, named Button-Bright, who is also very lost. They start walking in hopes of finding Oz, instead they wander into a fox kingdom. They are immediately taken to the king. The king asks Button-Bright some questions, to which he answers "Don't know". Apparently, the king is pleased with
Kami
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
- I'm starting to feel like the stories are the same, but with different companions and lands to visit.

- I liked this book, but the ending was a tad boring. Ozma's party was just list after list after list. There was a lot of listing and telling, and I wish I had been more immersed in her party.

- I really wish there was a new illustrator. I'm tired of John R. Neill's pictures.

- L. Frank Baum was very dedicated to his readers. They asked for more Oz, and he delivered. I really enjoy reading his
shannon  Stubbs
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just got a kick over the characters that Dorothy met. The Musicker reminds me of some of the wheezy patients I see at work. Copd was probably rampant then also.
Illiterate
Oct 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even the love magnet doesnt attract me. ...more
Catherine
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
A clueless boy in a sailor suit named Button Bright, a hobo with a "Love Magnet" called simply Shaggy Man, the Rainbow's daughter Polly Chrome and all the usual suspects combine to make a truly yawn-inducing 5th volume in the Oz series. This one reveals that no one ever dies in the Land of Oz. What????

It took over a month to read this one to my boys, in part because it's summer, but mostly because I lost my will to read. This will be our last Oz book.
Drew
Oct 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read_to_kids
This one starts out a little creepy: Dorothy, back in Kansas, meets a shady character called "The Shaggy Man," who asks her to show him the way to Butterfield. Way too many tragic stories start like that, eh? Worse, he claims to have a "love magnet" in his pocket that will instantly cause anyone he meets to love him.

But no, it's all innocent, okay? Even though modern readers are going to be totally creeped out by this.

The Shaggy Man doesn't even get a name. Everyone just calls him "Shaggy Man"
Nostalgia Reader
I found this installment much more enjoyable than Book 4 ( Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz ). While this one also had only vague allusions to a proper plot, and had some annoying characters, the entire thing felt more purposeful and more like the first three stories were. We had some proper adventuring in the beginning (I was excited to finally read about the Scoodlers and was not disappointed with them at all... horrifyingly AWESOME) and in the end we're introduced via multiple parades, to a ...more
Jessica
This book starts out giving you the creeps in the first chapter. Dorothy is confronted with a scruffy looking stranger that also happens to be an older male. He asks her for directions, kidnaps her dog and convinces her to show him the correct path rather than just telling him the directions. Dorothy follows the stranger and later on he tells her about his love magnet that causes everyone he meets to fall in love with him. By the second chapter they come upon a small boy dressed in..a sailor ...more
Pete
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bedtime-stories
This one is for children only. Once again Dorothy is....traveling. She meets some different and unique people. There really is no adversity. Ugg.

If not for the introduction of The Shaggy Man and Button Bright it would have been a complete wash.

Unfortunately my son is enjoying Oz too much to get away so on to the next story.

Side note: Santa make an appearance. Ho Ho Ho
Patricia Vocat
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
The formula is pretty familiar by now. Dorothy ends up in OZ, unintentionally, after overcoming some difficulties in deus-ex-machina style and meeting some very rude local heroes or weirdos. A quirky story, but the charm has worn off.
Line Bookaholic
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amazing and hilarious as usual !
Tinka
#OzAThon, Book 5

Well, someone should educate Dorothy on Stranger Danger, because its about damn time. Like, I understand to talk to strangers when you are stranded in a weird magical land and those people are made of straw and tin and youre trying to get home, but when a weird man shows up and asks you for directions, you tell him, but not freakin' go with him! What the hell, Mr. Baum? What are kids supposed to take from that?

In this merry story (feel the sarcasm), Dorothy is too trustworthy and
Christine Marie
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children's, Classics, Morals, Ethics, Fables, Wizard of Oz, Wondefrul Wizard of Oz, Fantasy fans
Recommended to Christine by: Robert Allen
What a cute adventure! I really liked the premise of Dorothy once again following a road to a destination that would help her get home: the Emerald City. It had a similar "yellow brick road" feel of the first book, but luckily the plot was different enough that you didn't get bored with the similarity of the books. I find that that's the only way I'm interested in any of these books at all. I mean, in all of them besides the second, Dorothy is bizarrely transported to a fairy land, and she must ...more
Confessions of Bo...: The Road to Oz (Oz, #5) 21 3 Jul 18, 2014 03:46PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: L. Frank Baum - The Road to Oz 1 2 Jul 29, 2013 01:38PM

• The Royal Book of Oz (Oz, #15)
  • The Book of Pirates
  • Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up
  • Stories And Fables (Childcraft: The How and Why Library 1984, #2)
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Synthetic Men of Mars (Barsoom, #9)
  • El Ekeko: Un misterio boliviano
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • Space Boy
  • A Heart's Betrayal (A Journey of the Heart #4)
  • A Heart's Home (A Journey of the Heart, #6)
  • A Heart's Promise (A Journey of the Heart #5)
  • A Heart's Danger (A Journey of the Heart, #3)
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas in Oregon
also wrote under the name Edith Van Dyne, Floyd Akers, Schuyler Stanton, John Estes Cooke, Suzanne Metcalf, Laura Bancroft

Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of

Oz (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • The Lost Princess of Oz (Oz, #11)