Start by marking “The Death of Mr. Love” as Want to Read:
The Death of Mr. Love

The Death of Mr. Love

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The reverberations from the Nanavati society murder in 1950s Bombay were so great they reached the offices of Prime Minister Nehru. However a second, connected crime went unreported. Now the children of the two victims return to India to uncover the mystery of the crime and exact their revenge.
Published June 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster (Trade Division) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Mr. Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Mr. Love

Smitha
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Death of Mr Love is based on a real life incident, the Nanavati murder in the late 1950s. The blurb says.. The reverberations from the notorious Nanavati society murder in 1950s Bombay – the fatal consequence of an affair between an Indian playboy and his married English lover – were so great that the reached the offices of Prime Minister Nehru and irrevocably changed the face of the Indian justice system.

The author weaves a fictional tale using the backdrop of the murder case. Bhalu, in mod
Baljit
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale that alternates between India in the 1950's and present day England. Events in the past have affected lives, and this leads to regret and result in a search for the truth, but can actions be undone and at what expense....
I felt the storyline was great in the beginning, but towards the final 100 pages, dragged out a bit and lost momentum.

Quotable passage:
Karma is such bitter knowledge. No angel waits on the far side of death to slap a writ on me. I shall not be judged before the great
Catherine Siemann
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of what I knew about the Nanavati love-triangle murder trials in 1950s India were based on Salman Rushdie's fictionalized Sabramati family in Midnight's Children; I had no idea the real-life wife was English, for example, or more significantly, that it undermined the jury trial in the Indian justice system. Sinha's novel, which exists on the borders of the Nanavati murders with the the aftermath the case causes in the life of the family and friends of another of "Mr. Love"'s mistresses, is ...more
Mitch
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, just-fiction
Mr. Sinha has done something interesting here...he's started with a real historical event and then added a few fictional layers to come up with an interesting read. The characters are well-drawn,the plot convoluted and the ending satisfying.

However, the central plot points pivot around some of the worst of human behavior- betrayal, sexual infidelity, blackmail, murder...and all of the psychological ramifications that follow. There is some rancid evil at the core of this book's mystery and it is
Praveen Palakkazhi
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
An intriguing tale set around the real life Nanavati murder trial which rocked the country back in the 1950's. Indra Sinha weaves a delicately gripping and emotionally resonant story of the consequences and mystery behind a second crime which arose from the famous case and which was never punished. Tracing the lives of the protagonists from England to India, this is a great read.
Jenny
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very long mystery! I loved the stories and intrigue; this was more about the characters than India (or England), though the landscapes and backgrounds were a big plus for me. I also enjoyed the history and the contrast between city life and village life in India. Not my favorite "India" novel, but a great one on its own.
Neha
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is tough to start seeing its size and does not gain momentum in the beginning. But if you don't quit at that time, it becomes really interesting in the middle.
Though i didn't quite like the end as i was expecting some more clearity but otherwise a nice read.
Amy
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very rarely do i pick up a bargain book and it's actually good. this one i got for, like, a dollar, and i was pleasantly surprised. it could be my unending interest for books about india though. this one melds urban legend, fidelity, and a mystery together to make a good soup.
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-group
A family intrigue based around the true Nanvati murder trials for the murder of Prem Ahuja.
Bahlu was quite sypmathetic but grown up Phoebe just annoyed me.
I loved the childhood reminisences but not so much modern day India.
Elaine
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
I loved this book! What an intricate web the author weaved! The characters are so human - flawed, good, bad etc. The story line was good, it was an actual court case, with this story woven around it. Very well written, quick read and definitely engaging with the characters of the book!
MissNYix
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, but the ending was a little rush
Frances
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This fictional novel is closely woven around a real-life murder in 1950's India. It paints a vivid picture of the country and its politics. A very worthwhile and informative read.
Larissa Kosits
LOTS about India in this book! Its almost a primer on culture, languages, the country-side itself.
Ashley
Really good first book.
Mohd Danish
read before die
MissNYix
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, but the ending was a little rush.
Rosie
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So liked parts of this book... But I eventually got so bored with it that I didn't finish... I might pick it up again someday
Verginia Krumova-Varbanova
This is the first book I've read from Indra Sinha. I was pleasantly surprised by the development of the story.
Pamela
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story... loved the historical picture it painted.
Cason
Aug 12, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Author on Booker long list (2007)
Carakins
Aug 06, 2011
Hannah Payne
rated it did not like it
May 05, 2009
  • The Beautiful and the Damned: A Portrait of the New India
  • Bombay Time
  • The Memory of Scent
  • Darjeeling
  • It's your move, Wordfreak!
  • Condensed Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Why I Write: Essays by Saadat Hasan Manto
  • Kapitan Cook
  • Daughter of the Sun (Cult of the Cat #1)
  • The Great Books: A Journey through 2,500 Years of the West's Classic Literature
  • Delirious Delhi : Inside India's Incredible Capital
  • The Ugliest House in the World
  • The Solace of Sin
  • Burning Bright
  • The Spy's Little Zonbi
Indra Sinha (born in 1950 in Colaba, which is part of Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra, India) is a British writer of English and Indian descent. Formerly a copywriter for Collett Dickenson Pearce & Partners, Sinha has the distinction of having been voted one of the top ten British copywriters of all time.

Indra Sinha's books, in addition to his translations of ancient Sanskrit texts into Eng
More about Indra Sinha...