Start by marking “Diseasing of America: How We Allowed Recovery Zealots and the Treatment Industry to Convince Us We Are Out of Control” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Diseasing of America is a classic that marked a turning point in the addictions field. Stanton Peele dared to assert that while alcoholism and drug-taking may be addictions, they are not diseases. In this plainspoken and courageous critique of America's approach to addiction, Peele attacks the "addiction as disease" model promoted by Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous, and ...more
Published January 22nd 1999 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Diseasing of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diseasing of America

Abailart
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written some ime ago and dealing with the USA, Peele's message is even more relevant today. Extrapo;ating claims of the addictions industrusties it would seem that there is a larger population of addicts in America than there is a population of people! We are all supposed to be addicts now, all victims of genetic or biological or brain disease. We all need help, and we will pay good money for it.

Addictio as a disease is a myth. Peele shows why. Throw away your snake oil. charms, higher powers am
Robert Beveridge
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Stanton Peele, The Diseasing of America 2/E (Lexington, 1995)

There are two types of people in the world: those the recovery zombies have already attacked, and those they will. It doesn't matter if you don't drink and don't smoke, they'll find something else about which you're "diseased"-- perhaps you enjoy shopping, you like to eat, you spend a couple of weekends per year in Vegas. Did you know these are all symptoms of diseases? Oh, you didn't? Well, they are. Don't believe it? You must be in d
Fishface
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well-researched, well-thought-out, well-written book takes issue with some of the destructive ideas salted away inside the Twelve-Step philosophy. A very empowering read with major policy implications.
Travis Fox
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great view point on addiction and behavior

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, it transformed the way I view alcoholism.
I have a new understanding now of causes of behaviors and a new philosophy on how to deal with my problems. I see the negative impact of categorizing so many of our behaviors as diseases.
Lukas Szrot
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a breath of fresh air, a truly consciousness-raising book about how behavior problems being labeled diseases is both impeding our ability to deal with them and thwarting individual senses of efficacy and accountability. To believe for example, that a person who drinks too much has a bad habit and should abstain or cut down rather than saddling them with the label 'alcoholic' and declaring that because they drink too much at this point in their lives they have a chronic, progressive illn ...more
Ellis Amdur
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
An indictment of the current common “wisdom” that deviant behavior – drug and alcohol addiction, gambling, overeating, too much or the wrong kind of sex, even crime – is a disease. The book is somewhat dated - but still relevant, as this false epidemic, which defines people as helpless against their desires and compulsions is all the more prevalent today.
Doreen
Oct 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is the fourth book by Stanton Peele saying the same thing and making the same claims. It's hard to argue with the millions of people who have achieved sobriety through AA, but he continues to try. I'd like to see scientific, quantitative research from his next.
Deborah Carroll
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, science
Very good, I just keep bumping it to read other things...
Excellent book with dynamic, practical points-
Michael T. McComb
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Stanton does a great job of opening your eyes to the broken addiction recovery system in place here in the United States.
Tom Dubsky
Mike Meyer
Jan 27, 2013
Aki
Aug 06, 2012
“In the words of Durk Pearson and Sandra Shaw, the authors of Life Extension,” 1 likes
“prominent spokespeople lecture us that cocaine is a drug with “neuropsychological properties” that “lock people into perpetual usage” so that the only way people can stop is when “supplies become unavailable,” after which “the user is then driven to obtain additional cocaine without particular regard for social constraints.” 1 likes