Start by marking “Cornhusker: Demon Gene” as Want to Read:
Cornhusker: Demon Gene

Cornhusker: Demon Gene

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
First accepted in A Flame in the Dark's Monsters! anthology, "Cornhusker: Demon Gene" pits a young man's desire to live a long life against the sudden realization that his worst fears have come true. He has the Demon Gene and has only hours left before becoming a monster. Jessica Bell would pick this day to have lunch with him.
Published May 19th 2013 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Cornhusker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cornhusker

Timothy Ward
May 21, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my first published short story. You can find it, exclusively, on Amazon Kindle for the next 90 days, and will find its way into paperback form as the anthology, Monsters!, gets published.

What it's about:

The emotional focal point centers on a high school senior with something worse than death looming over his immediate future. His family has a hereditary disease that could turn him into a monster any day now. When a special girl breaks through his wall of self-defense, he experiences grea
L.K. Evans
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m just going to say it: I LOVE GORE! Now, this wasn’t overly gory to me, but keep in mind that I fucking love gore. So, this had enough to keep my interest, but I don’t think it’s over the top for anyone who reads horror. The reason I mention this is because I think the gory parts were beautifully written. I had a clear image of what was happening, which was great!

I read that Ward had cut down the length, and I must say I’m disappointed. I had the feeling I was walking through a haunted house;
Paul Nelson
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
The main problem with any short story is that the author has very little time and space to leave a big, resounding impression on the reader and make them want to come back for more. I've read short stories that are instantly forgotten and ones that frustrate you simply because you want more and can't get it.
This for me fell into a horror/young adult category and was a decent read, normally its the sort I would avoid like the plague but it was entertaining enough for me to think 'is that all' at
Lyndon
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This debut novelette by Tim Ward is a classic horror story that moves from a conflicted character to crisis to climax and resolution in short order. If you're a fan of Grimm (or any contemporary fantasy-horror television series) then this story will read like a slice-of-life episode in a broader world of myth and make-believe. The solid story-telling is accompanied by a powerful moral message that can be read allegorically or simply appreciated for what it is: love overcomes evil. [Disclaimer: I ...more
Misty Iputi
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cornhusker was interesting and was written with thought provoking symbolism. It was more than a teenage boy finally getting his crush on the day his demon curse comes. It is about a fight between God and evil and if this boy is going to give in to the evil.
Mia
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
The author kindly and generously gave me a copy of this short story.

As if being a teenager isn't hard enough, CORNHUSKER: DEMON GENE is about a young man, Geoffrey, in the process of transformation into a monster. He had previously hoped to be spared from the metamorphosis, but this is the day the uncertainty is resolved. Not in his favor.

I would classify this as urban horror-fantasy. As a horror enthusiast, I commend Ward for communicating the terror of the young man's ordeal. This is the best
An
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a story that makes me hate the Star rating system. I'd like to give it 2.5 stars. or, just be able to say that it was "Okay, but closer to Good than just okay."

It took my a minute to adjust to the writing style. Once I got a handle on it being more of a young adult story, the voice of the narrator/main character made more sense, and didn't take me out of the story, a story that i really did enjoy.

The failings of "Cornhusker" are really owed to the fact that it's a short story. I feel lik
˚✧₊⁎ѕαи∂у⁎⁺˳✧༚
Exceptional reading

I'm not sure how could the writer have such excellent dark, warm, and enlightening feeling, on such short story. The characters were well written. Amazingly well written! You felt the emotion, the faith; and what must have been being in the characters place. It was fun, creepy, dark and cute. I became a fan and follower of Timothy C. Ward after "Scavenger: Evolution". I'm still amazed. I even went back to check the numbers of pages. Yes, it's a short story. But, I was so enthr
Diana
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Though this is not my usual genre, I gave it a try. The story caught me in the first few paragraphs and held me to the end. My only complaint was the end came too quickly.
Seulgi Seagull
Dec 10, 2017
Modern Good Reads: R4R Supernatural horror (short story) 3 11 May 23, 2013 04:07AM
Timothy C. Ward is a former executive producer and Hugo Nominee of Adventures in Scifi Publishing. He has been broke and lost on the other side of the world and now dreams of greater adventures from his keyboard in Des Moines, Iowa. He recently released his second Sand Divers book, Scavenger: A.I., where two parents use an ancient technology to fight a reproducing A.I. while trying to resurrect th ...more
More about Timothy C. Ward...