Start by marking “Bertie And The Tinman (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bertie And The Tinman (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #1)

Bertie And The Tinman

(Albert Edward, Prince of Wales #1)

It is 1886 and the greatest of all jockeys, Fed Archer, has put his gun to his head and shot himself. An inquest is arranged with indecent haste. His mind was unhinged by typhoid, say the jury, despite conflicting evidence.

The Prince is suspicious. He admired Archer. He knows the Turf better than anyone on that jury and he has personal experience of typhoid. When he learns
Published 1987 by The Mysterious Press

To ask other readers questions about Bertie And The Tinman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bertie And The Tinman

Start your review of Bertie And The Tinman (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #1)
Susan
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Peter Lovesey is best known for his Peter Diamond series, but I am delighted that this mystery novel has now been re-released. Bertie and the Tinman is the first of three novels featuring the future King Edward VII, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, as the hero. First published in 1987, this book is followed by Bertie and the Seven Bodies and Bertie And The Crime Of Passion.

Set in 1886, this novel begins with the Tinman, jockey Fred Archer, committing suicide. Bertie, the Prince of Wales, is a gre
Deanna
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

Prince Albert blusters about solving a mystery. A modest and enjoyable enough tale.
Clare O'Beara
I read this as part of the three-book omnibus called Bertie.
The Prince of Wales, Bertie, is jaunting around the country seemingly without many cares or attendants, and resolves to find out whether the top jockey of the day shot himself. This jockey had ridden one of Bertie's horses to victory. Amusing scenes occur in the midst of tragedy and seriousness, such as when Bertie, dressed in black, is mistaken for a funeral home attendant. His manner is fussy and quite formal, as I suppose it would h
Deanne
Little dissappointed in a book on the top 100 crime novels, Lovesey has written better than this. Bertie doesn't solve the crime so much as blunder into the correct answer, plus it's hard to believe he'd be able to run around the country without people in tow, though maybe the royal family could do that 125 years ago.
What is fun is the way that Bertie sees himself, handsome, young and of superior intellect, not the way in which the rest of the country seems to regard him.
DeAnna Knippling
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great historical research, great character...I wasn't so hot on the plot, which was serviceable but not inspired. It wasn't so much that I called the twist early (ehhh) but that the plot twist force some of the chapters to move very slowly, as in, "The fact that nothing much happened here is important, but...that meant that nothing much happened," happened several times. The excellently flawed Bertie made up for that, mostly.
Jack Heath
Synopsis: in 1886 the greatest of all jockeys, Fed Archer, shot himself. The Prince, who admired the jockey, decides on action.
Nancy Oakes
I kind of like the main character, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (who would go on to become Edward VII), fondly known to his friends & family as Bertie. He has a very tongue-in-cheek way of sharing a story, and I give some kudos to Mr. Lovesey for using him as a fictional character.

The story is based on the real-life death of one Frederick Archer, probably the most famous & most successful jockey during the time of Queen Victoria up until his death at age 29. In real life, of course, the Prin
Aidan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, audiobooks
"Ultimately it is the charm of the novel that carries the day and makes it easy to overlook some of the weaknesses of the mystery at its heart. Bertie is instantly recognizable, credible and amusing so it is never a chore to spend time in his company while Lovesey’s attention to the details of the historical setting and character is superb. A very entertaining effort."

For a full review check out my blog Mysteries Ahoy!
LeAnne
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. It is based on the real life and death of a well know British jockey, Fred Archer. However, the author Peter Lovesey, takes some liberties with the story between Archer's life and his death. The story is told by Bertie, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII. It is a "tongue in cheek" version of the life of the jockey. The book begins with Bertie telling the reader about Fred Archer and how he (Bertie) turned detective to prove that Archer did not commi ...more
Tony
Set in 1886, this frothy confection is the first in a sequence of murder mysteries featuring "Bertie" aka Prince Edward aka the future King Edward VII as an amateur sleuth. It's a fun conceit, and those looking for a quick and amusing period whodunnit could do a lot worse than this. The plot was inspired by, and revolves around, the mysterious suicide of a real-life star jockey of the era. The real life Prince took a great interest in horse racing, and so his fictional version seeks to investiga ...more
P
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the synopsis of this on BookBub, I thought it sounded like a hoot. I mean, the Prince of Wales as an amateur sleuth? Afraid of nothing except his own mother, the queen? Right up my alley.

I was not wrong. This little book was a romp! How could it not be? The main character, Bertie, is Queen Victoria’s oldest son, who had quite the reputation before ascending to the throne as Edward VII. Bored as he waits for his turn to reign, and intrigued by the apparent suicide of England’s most f
grundoon
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 I read the first few Loveseys many years ago (not sure why I stopped... probably a combination of distraction by other newly-found authors and lack of sustained interest in the Victorian setting) and at some point must have also picked up this first of his next series, in which Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (future Edward VII), fancies himself a detective. If you can put up with the narcissism and callousness of a philandering aristocrat, it's really quite well done – told in first person, ...more
Karen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This took a while to get into. Once I did I enjoyed it but this probably would be more interesting if I knew the historical background better, or if I really liked horse racing more.

This had a nice plot and some great surprises.

I learned a lot about the times and London at this time in history.

I may try another to see if the characters grow on me a bit more. I really did not relate at all to Bertie.

I borrowed a copy from the public library.

Claudia
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok, understand, while the mystery itself was good, what I really liked was his writing in the style of Victorian England. It gave me a real sense of what life was like back then both for the wealthy (read royal) and the common folk. All in all, not the best mystery I've read, but a very enjoyable, quick read nonetheless. It definitely takes you to another time and place, and Bertie is a hoot!
Harry Addington
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Prince of Wales in the Victorian age becomes a detective to investigate a suicide he doesn’t believe is a suicide. The Tinman, the best jockey, has killed himself and he doesn’t believe it. He is a hilarious detective who is not afraid of much except his mother Queen Victoria.

Funny story.
Andrea
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fun-mysteries
Not my cup of tea, but I'm biased. Lovesey has done his research on Prince Albert and while some people may find the adolescent humor amusing, and I don't doubt from what I know of British society and Prince Albert himself, the character is accurate, I got thoroughly tired of Bertie and gave the whole thing up before I properly understood the mystery and its major clues.
Elaine Orr
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read and a good mystery

Plenty of opportunities to laugh as Bertie
very seriously pursues the various people he believed committed the murder. Good sense of life and England at that time, too.
Linn
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The Prince of Wales investigates a suicide. The story wasn't predictable which was nice but the language at time was cumbersome as he uses many terms that are specifically British and appropriate for the time period.
Colleen
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable mystery' light and breezy with sufficient violence to avoid being a cozy , a fun plot, a hint of the supernatural and period color
Jack
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Audible Audiobook: Pleasantly upbeat, colorful language and intriguing mystery; exceptional narration adds to this most pleasant listening experience.
Susan Ferguson
Prince Albert (Bertie) enjoyed racing. When the Tinman, jockey Fred Archer, killed himself, Bertie finds it very difficult to believe. He does not believe Archer had typhoid because the symptoms everyone talks about, do not fit those of typhoid. So he decides to investigate for himself. And gets involved in some very strange circumstances.
Josephine
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Lovesey may be best known for his Victorian era Inspector Thackeray and Sergeant Cribb series, which had a brief run on PBS' Mystery show, and his modern setting Peter Diamond mysteries. I confess a weakness for his 'Bertie, Prince of Wales' trilogy, Bertie and the Tinman , Bertie and the Seven Bodies and Bertie and the Crime of Passion . the 'Bertie' trilogy purports to be memoirs of Victoria's son, Edward Albert, set down while his mother was still alive but put away in a safety depo ...more
rabbitprincess
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the era and historical mysteries
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Top 100 list
After experiencing the late 1800s in France (with Murder on the Eiffel Tower), I hopped across the Channel to follow along with Albert Edward "Bertie", Prince of Wales and later Edward VII, on his detective adventures.

The story is told by Bertie himself and chronicles his investigation of the death of noted jockey Fred Archer, who was proclaimed to have committed suicide while unhinged by typhoid fever. Bertie, however, is not convinced that this is the truth, especially because he has had perso
Spuddie
I listened to the audio version of this book, which is a historical mystery told in the first person by Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (aka "Bertie") set in (obviously) Victorian England. The reading was perfect, with the narrator imparting that posh, snobby accent and the upper class 'tone' that was likely very accurate for the time. The author didn't try to gloss over Bertie's flaws but admitted to them freely, although mostly just alluding to his naughtiness rather than going into graphic det ...more
Melanie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Main issues with this book:

1) Slow pace - the plot moves very slowly with the MC's patronizing explanations of such and such social event and how he's so amazing at this and that. I only kept at the book to find out if Archer really was a bad egg, but the twist ending was a major yawn.

2) Insufferable protagonist - maybe this is part of the joke, but Bertie is so annoying to read as the narrator. He overstates his accomplishments and frankly cares for no one but himself to the extent that other
Virginia Owl
the Bertie in the title refers to Prince Albert, the Prince of Wales. A fun take on historic mysteries, this Bertie reminds me very much of Bertie Wooster of Wodehouse fame. Both have rather inflated views of their capabilities & both authors poke much fun at their hapless attempts to solve problems.
Read Wodehouse first, all of him, but then this Bertie is a pleasant enough fellow to while away an afternoon with.
Shiela
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
This one was okay. I really liked the historical aspect and the premise (the king in waiting bumbling around secretly sleuthing), but the story itself was just okay. I hate books on horse racing so I figure that probably had a lot to do with my overall enjoyment but I will give the second book in this series a try. I did find the characters quite hilarious, especially Bertie and his not so discreet indiscretions.
Sue
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertie isn't convinced by the apparent suicide of champion jockey Fred Archer, aka The Tinman. He decides to turn detective to uncover the truth of the matter. He's not the world's greatest detective so it's fortunate that he has his day job to fall back on as The Prince of Wales, later to be Edward VII.

Bertie doesn't quite replace Peter Diamond as my favourite detective but this was a very entertaining read.
Dane
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, victoriana
This is a fun little mystery, featuring several "characters" (real people) that I'd met for the first time earlier this year in The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: the Whitechapel Horrors. Sir Charles Warren, Sir Frances Knollys, and Bertie himself, at least in the aspect of his being "Bertie," his real, personal self, and not as a public figure. He makes a delightfully un-self-aware narrator. I will look for the other two books about Bertie.
Mkb
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun and fluffy. Another mystery novel with descriptions of extravagant meals! The detective (?) is Queen Victoria’s son “Bertie”, who was by all accounts a bit of playboy, so it means that he is not a super-sympathetic main character. The joke is kind of that he thinks he is hotter stuff he really is. It’s fun, but I am not dying to spend more time with him. No fan girl crush a la Peter Wimsey, that’s for sure! :)

• Mycroft and Sherlock: The Empty Birdcage (Mycroft Holmes 3)
  • The Agatha Christie Book Club (Agatha Christie Book Club #1)
  • Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery #9)
  • The Devil's Workshop (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder
  • Death on Nantucket (A Merry Folger Nantucket Mystery #5)
  • Hieroglyphics
  • He Who Fears the Wolf (Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • Review To A Kill (Annabelle Archer, #4)
  • The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories
  • For Better or Hearse (Annabelle Archer, #2)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #4)
  • The House on East 88th Street
  • Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady
  • The Constant Rabbit
  • The Last Hunt
  • Donald Duck #2
Peter (Harmer) Lovesey (born 1936 in Whitton, Middlesex) is a British writer of historical and contemporary crime novels and short stories. His best-known series characters are Sergeant Cribb, a Victorian-era police detective based in London, and Peter Diamond, a modern-day police detective in Bath. Lovesey's novels and stories mainly fall into the category of entertaining puzzlers in the "Golden ...more

Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (3 books)
  • Bertie And The Seven Bodies (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #2)
  • Bertie and the Crime of Passion (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #3)

News & Interviews