Start by marking “The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)

The Human Division

(Old Man's War #5)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  22,025 ratings  ·  1,349 reviews
Following the events of The Last Colony, John Scalzi tells the story of the fight to maintain the unity of the human race.

The people of Earth now know that the human Colonial Union has kept them ignorant of the dangerous universe around them. For generations the CU had defended humanity against hostile aliens, deliberately keeping Earth an ignorant backwater and a source o
Published May 14th 2013 by Tor Books (first published May 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Human Division, please sign up.
Larry Tuxbury You don't need read read the rest of the series first (although I think especially "Old Man's War" should be read first to introduce you to Scalzi's…moreYou don't need read read the rest of the series first (although I think especially "Old Man's War" should be read first to introduce you to Scalzi's world), but this book does, in passing, give away some key plot points from "The Last Colony." But as long as you don't mind that, you could read this without having read the others.(less)
Brad No, different authors. Ender's Game was written by Orson Scott Card. Both Science Fiction, but different worlds.

Bradley
I admit I stopped reading the series for years after I realized that this installment was a serialized novel. I just stopped. I wanted full novels and I got pissy.

Well, fortunately, I got over it. Mostly because I have friends in buddy reads who made me feel guilty as hell. But even more, I have a lot of fond memories for the series as a whole and I think I may have been plain WRONG.

Yeah. So. Eating crow now.

These are a bunch of great short stories here that don't feel all the connected at first
Mayim de Vries
“This is now. We’ve lost Earth. Now we have to learn to deal with it.”

After the atrocious Zoe’s Tale, I have fully expected to hate the Human Division. It turned out to be OK, just a kind of a cash grab. It still disgusts me, but I am an honest enough reader to admit that Mr Scalzi is a skilled writer and can get away with it.

Why a cash grab? Two primary reasons: Firstly, the fact that Human Division is branded as the fifth instalment in the Old Man’s War series is misleading. This is not a con
Silvana
What a useless, puerile, asinine sequel. Ditching the series because it became completely unengaging, formulaic and not funny. I am tired. I don't think I will read any Scalzi in the next few years. I will just think of every character in OMW and Lock In series to live snarkily ever after. The end.
Eric
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, especially Scalzi fans
There are 13 "episodes" that author John Scalzi has broken this book down into, and they are being released weekly for the next few months. Instead of writing thirteen separate reviews, I will review each self-contained episode here, which will, eventually, be a review of this entire work.

'The B-Team'

Well this is certainly off to a hell of a start. Not only does Scalzi give the requisite background information on the "Old Man's War" universe without being boring or summarizing his previous book
Tim
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After an interesting beginning, this story drifts like a ship without much power in space. Once Scalzi starts writing about dogs, whiny mothers and takeovers the novel wanes and interest is lost. 3 of 10 stars
Xabi1990
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hace poco comentaba Xan (del grupo de CF en Español) sobre la nueva saga de Space Opera de Scalzi que leerlo era como “comer palomitas”, algo siempre agradable, asociado a ratos de diversión -si queréis un poco descerebradas- en torno a una peli con la que sabes que vas a pasar un buen rato.

Pues eso mismo se aplica a esta novela.

Volvemos al universo de Space Opera de la Tierra, la Unión Colonial y el Cónclave. De los soldados de piel verde con CerebroAmigo y las intrigas a nivel galáctico, de la
Christian
PART ONE - March 16

Dun Dun DUNNNNNNNNN...

Is how each part of John Scalzi's experiment in Dickensian Science Fiction would end if the author had stuck to Chucky D's well-established method of chopping what we now know as classics into weekly or monthly episodes - "please sir - can I have some more?" Next week, child, next week - assuming you can pony up another 99c for Audible.

But no – Scalzi wants to have his cake, eat it and still have the abs of a Men's Health cover model. The Human Division c
Lindsey Rey
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, science-fiction
My favorite in the series so far! Loved all of the diplomacy and the B-team!
Veronique
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stars-4-0, 2017
When I heard that this volume consisted of short stories, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, especially after the strong narrations of the previous books. I expected vignettes set in the same universe but otherwise quite separate. What Scalzi offers is episodic but tightly connected - to the point that I forgot its nature, although if I had had to wait for each instalment, that wouldn't have been so much the case...

The cast is wide but features recurring characters, especially the B-team,
Tom Negrino
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scalzi fans, with caveats
I'm an unhappy customer after reading The Human Division in its serialized run. It was clear by around episode 8 that Scalzi would not be able to wrap up all the threads of the story, but (no spoilers) the book ends with an epic battle and no resolution of the main plot, and with smoking guns littering the stage. The day of the final episode's release, Scalzi announced that there was going to be a sequel (or perhaps sequels, given how he's likening The Human Division to a TV series), which he'd ...more
Krbo
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originalno ova knjiga je zbirka priča (13) objavljenih u e-obliku tijekom nekoliko mjeseci. Tu su i dvije dodatne.

No nema nikakve brige oko toga, čak je i zanimljivo kako je svako poglavlje (priča) lijepo zaokružena.
Većinom su to različiti slučajevi pa je osigurana visoka dinamika radnje - pred kraj se počinje provlačiti i jedna zajednička tema koja ostaje neriješena. (hoće li ju nastaviti i u najnovijem nastavku ostaje vidjeti no dobra je pa bi bilo OK)

Wilson je zanimljiv lik, a humor je dosta
Connor
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Yep, this series is still totally awesome. It's definitely a different kind of formatting, but I really enjoyed the change. I had a couple of areas where I wished I'd gotten a little bit more information, but overall, I loved this. I skipped Zoe's Tale because I'd heard it's just The Last Colony rewritten in Zoe's perspective, but I'll go back and read it eventually.
Rob
Executive Summary: This might be my favorite book in the Old Man's War universe yet. Though it's not really a book, so much as a collection of short stories. Either way, I can't wait for the next one!

Audio book:William Dufris is a great fit for this series. I really like Wil Wheaton for Scalzi books, but I was really missing Mr. Dufris for Zoe's Tale (though I totally understand why they didn't use him). He does a great job delivering the snark and really just the dialogue in general that I'll c
Fred Hughes
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author John Scalzi has answered our wishes to read more stories based on the Old Man’s War series with this book of 13 superb short stories in that universe. While each story is a stand alone story our protagonists appear in most of the stories.

The back ground to the stories for those not yet enlightened by the Old Man’s War series is that when you reach 75 years old you can join the CDF and have your consciousness transferred into a young body with enhanced capabilities. The main condition to t
Nikki
And now the serial's over, I will sum up my impressions here. I quickly skimmed through all the episodes again, trying to decide how I felt about how well it all tied in. And I really don't know. Some of it still feels incredibly bitty, sort of gratuitous -- The Dog King, for example, is funny, but I'm not sure how much it contributes.

The overall plot is pretty good, but by the time the next "season" comes out, my surmises and hopes will be so much less present and powerful. I wish there'd been
Marijan
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
skupina priča, povezanih manje više istim likovima, koja kronološki slijedi dosadašnje knjige, a kvalitetom ne zaostaje.
Jeraviz
Siempre me gusta leer a Scalzi. Es una ciencia ficción fácil si se me permite la expresión. No plantea problemas complejos, tiene humor, hace muchos guiños a la cultura actual... Para cualquier no iniciado a esta secta de la ciencia ficción es un buen comienzo. Y de vez en cuando viene bien para aligerar lecturas densas (sí, me estoy refiriendo a ti, Kim Stanley Robinson).

En esta quinta entrega del universo de La vieja guardia se retoma la acción en el momento en que se quedó el tercer libro (La
Ana
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La humanidad dividida es la quinta entrega de La vieja guardia de John Scalzi. En esta, a través de las diferentes historias que se van desarrolando con personajes que ya conocíamos de los libros anteriores, vamos deslizándonos por el libro con esa rapidez con la que se caracteriza Scalzi. Hay momentos en los que su vena cómica sale a reducir de tal manera que no podemos evitar reír de la escena tan absurda que se desarrolla (vease la escena con el perrito), para luego pasar de nuevo a la seried ...more
Lesa Divine
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 🌟
There's a conspiracy going on. Who's shooting down spaceships. Kidnapping humans and aliens? Who's behind it all.

It's a set up to make CDF look bad. Earth isn't too happy with CDF.

It's Harry we the readers follow through this book he's a nerd with a BrainPal.

Interesting, intriguing.
Paul
Written review from: http://commontouchoffantasy.com/book-...

Video review: https://youtu.be/4-Mi5wb-pJs

The Human Division by John Scalzi is Scalzi’s writing at its very best. Scalzi’s ability to take over a dozen different stories, with a different tone in each, and weave them together, to form one unifying overarching storyline, that has this many complexities, is simply fantastic.

5/5 21/25 possible score

Type of Story: Sci-Fi space opera with multiple short story like segments.

Plot – 4(Strong)

C
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 stars. Back when I first started getting into reading more sci-fi, John Scalzi's Old Man's War series was a great starting point. The books had just the right mix of space travel, aliens and futuristic technology, but were still light enough not to intimidate a relative newcomer to the genre. Now they still rank among some of my favorite books of all time.

So when I found out about Scalzi's new serialized novel based on the Old Man's War universe, I became all excited and got set to pick up t
Ashley
Consider this experiment a success, I think.

The Human Division is the fifth novel set in John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War universe, but it can be read on its own if you are so inclined (although I highly recommend reading the first three books–they are wonderful).

The experiment I’m referring to is that The Human Division was initially released as thirteen separate ‘episodes’ at set intervals, and then collected together in ‘novel’ form and released as a hardcover. I say this was an experiment because
Matthew Hester
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Scalzi has just solidified what the future of the publishing industry looks like. Gone are the days where 1400 page epics can wait for years to be released (GRR Martin, i'm looking at you) as consumers want immediate payouts on investments in this instant gratification society we exist in.
While constructing a coherent story that is broken out into individual segments can be difficult, it allows for a unique way to explore aspects of the story that might otherwise been ignored and present
Alex Ristea
I read this hardcover edition all in one go, but really it's a collection of short stories that reads like a novel.

As is the nature of short stories, sometimes the reader feels too distant from the story, but thankfully The Human Division is closer to the novel form.

That being said, I was impressed by how Scalzi took advantage of the medium, and changed his writing style between stories. There was some clever authorial experimentation, and it worked.

It's a more serious look at the issues starte
Elchamaco
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continua donde lo dejo el 3er y 4º libro de la vieja guardia. Hay que avisar para lectores de los anteriores que la estructura del libro es un fixup de relatos que conforman la historia, quizás por la forma de publicación inicial, aunque creo que el 6º es similar, dónde se fueron publicando los relatos que conforman el libro de forma separada y se buscaba que funcionasen de forma independiente.
Aunque seguramente funcionen, yo no termino de verlo porque muchos personajes repiten y si lees algún r
Ric
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This latest entry into what will probably turn out to be a long-running multi-publication series (that started with the entertaining Old Man's War) is vintage Scalzi. Mr. Scalzi, who apparently hasn't found a gag line that was beyond inclusion in his books, sprinkles The Human Division with his brand of humorous, irreverent, quirky and inventive story-telling. Whether for marketing purposes or for novelty, the author has chosen to piece this book together from episodes of short story length that

Robert
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
OK, let's keep score:
Old Man's War: John Perry (smart-arse)
The Ghost Brigades: John Perry's girl friend (mostly non-descript, mildly bad-ass)
The Last Colony: John Perry and now wife (smart arse and stereotypical loving Mum, (still mildly bad-ass))
Zoe's Tale: Zoe Perry (smart-arse)
The Human Division: Wilson (smart-arse, seems to have had a personality transplant from John Perry)
Fuzzy Nation: A smart-arse lawyer
Lock-in: Disabled (but is he really? That's the point) son of an over-privileged busine
Jon
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well then, that was a thing.

So, the easy bits. This was typical Scalzi, and I say that in a good way. This was amusing, interesting and engrossing sci-fi in a universe that I already love, by and author I also already love. If you like Scalzi, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't.

There. Now that that's out of the way.

This was, as Scalzi has said in several places, somewhat of an experiment. The individual "episodes" (chapters) were released weekly, and the intention was for them to stand al
Tudor Vlad
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Human Division felt different from the other Old Man’s War novels, there was a tonal shift which was to be expected after The Last Colony’s ending. It does not follow any of the original characters, but instead we get to follow new ones. The main character in this book does appear in the original trilogy and it took me way too long to figure out who Harry was. The book has an interesting format, it feels almost like a conventional science fiction television show. The book is divided into thi ...more
spikeINflorida
Scalzi's gone soft and light, cute and spunky...in a "Redshirts" and "Zoe's Tale" sorta way. Where'd the grit and grime, the blood and guts of "Old Man's War" and "Ghost Brigades" go? It was popcorn fun...but left me hungry for true grit. Is it even worth reading pt.6? I'd rather read some more Richard K. Morgan or Dan Abnett.
  • Guardian (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, #3)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
  • Zero Point (Owner Trilogy, #2)
  • Great North Road
  • Starship: Rebel (Starship, #4)
  • Starhawk (The Academy, #7)
  • Cauldron of Ghosts (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #3)
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • Neptune's Brood (Freyaverse #2)
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)

Old Man's War (6 books)
  • Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
  • The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2)
  • The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3)
  • Zoe's Tale (Old Man's War, #4)
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)
“Captain Sophia Coloma looked every inch of what she was, which was the sort of person who was not here to put up with your shit.” 7 likes
“I propose a toast. Here’s to being right all the time. May God and history forgive us.” They all clinked glasses to that.” 7 likes