Start by marking “Abigail” as Want to Read:
Abigail

Abigail

Published September 1st 2013 by Tiger Tales (first published August 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Abigail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abigail

Rachel
Among counting books, Abigail does not stray far from the norm. It goes through the numbers 1 to 10, as Abigail tries to count the various leaves, stripes, and creatures of the Savannah. What does make this special, is Rayner's specific touch.

Like her other works, splotchy painting and inking create a highly stylized, detailed, and frankly gorgeous look. Most backgrounds feature a gradient as the sky melds into the open landscape of Africa. Once again a fold out page reveals the full size of th
Erin Buhr
Mar 27, 2014 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
My daughter and I love giraffes, so right away when you see the cover with this quirky little giraffe peering at you we could not wait to start reading. Abigail the giraffe loves counting, but everything she tries to count keeps moving away. The ladybug scurries under a leaf, the leaves get eaten by a zebra, and the cheetah's spots are moving entirely too fast. Together with her animal friends, Abigail comes up with a solution so that she can enjoy some counting. It is a sweet story, but what I ...more
Beverly
Sep 13, 2014 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
A simply wonderful picture book with enchanting ink and watercolor illustrations, which are quite large enough to share in a group setting. This is not a typical counting book, with a number on each page and a number of objects to match the number. This is a story of a giraffe attempting to count various objects, which won't stay put. Only on one of the last pages are there 10 flowers and the numbers 1 through 10 floating across the double page spread. Then the real challenge: Abigail and her fr ...more
Emily Heideman
Sep 04, 2015 Emily Heideman rated it it was amazing
I love everything Catherine Rayner does. Seriously. "Abigail" is no different. It is a nice story that helps children practice counting/numbers. Rayner's illustrations are so beautiful, I want to use them as artwork in my home! ...and I just may...
Cheryl
Dec 11, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
Delightful. Even it if didn't have the advantage of being safari instead of farm animals, even if the pictures weren't so gorgeous, I'd love the storyline itself. Simple enough that this would be even better as a board book... but then, the pictures do need to be large enough to give our heroine scope. I especially love the title page and the very last.

I like the design of the fold-out page: even if the flap is lost to careless rugrats, the story is not significantly disrupted. Book designers sh
Dolly
Sep 12, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls have grown out of reading counting books, so without a sarcastic or humorous storyline (like Musk Ox Counts or Count the Monkeys), they are a bit offended by the babyish nature of the story.

So before we read our stories tonight, I prefaced each book by saying that I was reading the book for my book club and I wanted them to appreciate the book for the illustrations, if nothing else. That advice certainly worked well for this book, which at least has a bit of a story and gorgeous ink a
Hannah Mitchell
Feb 11, 2015 Hannah Mitchell rated it it was amazing
"Abigail" is an adorable story about a giraffe that just wants to count something. The problem is, everything keeps running away. When her friends realize that she wants to count, they try to help by bringing her to a field of flowers. Abigail realizes that her friends do not know how to count and spends the afternoon helping them and practicing. They realize that it is too dark to count the flowers now, so Abigail suggests that they count the stars. They spend the night counting the stars toget ...more
Kristi Bernard
Dec 08, 2013 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
Children enjoy books that teach them the basics of counting. Abigail, the giraffe loves to count. It's her favorite thing to do out in the safari where she lives.

Abigail counted the dots on Ladybug 1 2 3. But Ladybug scurried under a leaf. So Abigail counted the leaves on the tree 4 5 6. But... somebody was eating the leaves.

This goes on and on and Abigail is finding it more difficult to find things to count. She tried to count stripes on Zebras but they are always moving. Cheetah moves way to f
Melanie
Abigail the giraffe loves to count. In fact it's her absolute favorite thing to do. But when she tries to count Ladybug's spots she flies off. And the leaves are disappearing as she's counting because they are being eaten by Zebra. And Cheetah won't hold still either. When Abigail becomes frustrated Ladybug has an idea. The 4 friends head into a field that is full of flowers! Abigail begins counting with joy! But she soon realizes that Zebra and Cheetah do not know how to count properly. So Abig ...more
Madison Ryffel
Oct 20, 2014 Madison Ryffel rated it it was amazing
If you love giraffes, then you will love this book. Abigail is a book written about a giraffe that loves to count. She counts the dots on ladybugs and then counts the leaves on a tree until she realizes that a zebra was eating the leaves. So she started counting the zebras stripes which then lead to meeting a cheetah, whom had too many spots to count. The theme of this book would be numbers because of all the counting that Abigail wanted to do. I would use this book in my classroom when teaching ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Abigail LOVES to count, but what to count?

Rayner offers an adorable story about friendship and counting in an African setting. The illustrations are beautiful silkscreen prints. Abigail begins counting moving objects, which isn't easy and she soon becomes frustrated. Her friends help her out by finding something to count and volunteer to help...except they can't count. I love their counting. It's fun and true to life for the youngsters learning their numbers. Abigail patiently teaches them to c
Thabata
Aug 18, 2016 Thabata rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Abigail loves to count. She wants to count everything and everyone in the jungle. Through the day we accompany the friendly giraffe and her friends in her counting spree. The illustrations are very good looking and the book even has two surprises in its visuals that makes it all the more adorable. It is a great addition to the readings of a young child learning about numbers and counting. It also gives a good excuse to explore a little of the jungle and its different animals. Abigail n ...more
Chrystina
Apr 30, 2015 Chrystina rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book for grade K-1. This book is about a giraffe named Abigail that loves to count. She tries to count dots on a lady bug, leaves on a tree, spots on a cheetah and even flowers in a field. At the end she ends up counting the stars in the sky. I really enjoyed this book. I real enjoyed the illustrations on every page. The art was full of color and detail, and overall just beautiful.
Mary
Feb 03, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
There's not much of a story, but it's a kind of cute story about a giraffe who loves to count. Unfortunately, the things she counts tend to move or disappear on her. Her friends find flowers for her to count and she teaches them how to count after she realizes they aren't very good counters. Once they get the hang of it, night falls so they begin to count the stars. The illustrations are quite nice.
Christine Turner
Abigail the giraffe loves counting. One day, she tries to count the spots on her friend Ladybug, but the little bug scurries away. Abigail tries to count Zebra's stripes and Cheetah's spots, but her friends just won't stand still! After several more unsuccessful attempts, Abigail begins to wonder if there's anything at all that she can count. Then, she has an idea....

Subject:
Counting -- Juvenile fiction
Giraffe -- Juvenile fiction.

Cemeread
May 22, 2014 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Lovely illustrations. Abigail charms from the cover on. There's not actually much counting since things keep moving (though there are a few things the children can count) and her friends don't know how to count (until she teaches them). It's fun to find the lady bug and enjoy the friendships.

Illustrations 4.0
story 3.0
Katie Melbourne
Apr 30, 2016 Katie Melbourne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Illustrations are gorgeous and love that the sizes of animals are relative. Giraffe Abigail towers above her friends and sometimes has to bend down to fit in frame - just one example of how this book is visually engaging. Here is my review for Babyology: http://babyology.com.au/sunday-arts/l...
Barbara
Mar 05, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I am charmed by Abigail. She is my new favorite picture book. Rayner's illustrations are fascinating, humorous, great for sharing with a story time crowd. Her love of counting and her difficulties counting things in the world around her are the truly the experiences of the kids she represents. I will count on her to help me present number awareness to my preschool customers.
Samantha Tai
Abigail loves to count, especially Zebra's stripes and Cheetah's spots, but when her friends won't stand still, what's a giraffe to do? Abigail may be the cutest giraffe in picture books. Can you spot Ladybug in each illustration?
Den
Dec 15, 2014 Den rated it liked it
Shelves: children, 2014
A lovely colourful counting book based in Afria and it is based on a giraffe who loves counting. She finds it hard to find things to count and so teach the others animals to count so they can help her
Kate McCartney
Mar 27, 2014 Kate McCartney rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art, the animals are so realistic in the shapes and contours of their bodies. A fun counting book for kids we are still trying to the numbers in correct order. Very sweet friendship book as well.
Hilda
Mar 04, 2015 Hilda rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest book about a counting giraffe named Abigail. I just know my four year old cousin will love it, her name is Abigail. I'm mailing it to her today and I can't wait to receive the excited phone call.
Scottsdale Public Library
A colorful, creative counting book heads above the rest. -Monty K.

Check it out!
Scottsdale Public Library
Karen
Jun 13, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
There isn't much to this story -- it's pretty much just a book about counting -- but the illustrations are so amazingly quirky and lovely, it is worth reading this book. I love Abigail the giraffe.
Kristine Hansen
Sep 11, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Loved this! Especially the pull out page at the end. Beautiful art, clever and funny story. I'm a little disturbed at how the zebra, giraffe, and cheetah are all friends. I don't trust that Cheetah one bit.
Lindsay
Jan 16, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations accompany an adorable counting story. I appreciated that Abigail was frustrated without being over the top or the focus of the story. I also chortled at the counting her animal friends do - so like a child learning to count!
Jenny
Aug 23, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
Abigail the giraffe loves to count but her friends aren't good at counting. So Abigail teaches them. A cute counting book with beautiful illustrations.
Maggie KutsBorg
Mar 12, 2014 Maggie KutsBorg rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-2-3
Abigail loves to count, and I love Abigail. Lovely pictures, great counting. Simple enough for the young ones.
CharityJ
Nov 29, 2013 CharityJ rated it liked it
A sweet, funny story but this is worth it just for the illustrations. The most darling giraffe ever. Good bedtime read-aloud.
Zayneea
Mar 17, 2015 Zayneea rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book to I didn't realise that it was about counting - I just really like the illustration of the Giraffe. Beautiful book that can show children how to count to ten.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ball
  • Yeti and the Bird
  • What Will Hatch?
  • Breathe
Award winning author and illustrator Catherine Rayner studied Illustration at Edinburgh College of art. She fell in love with the city and still lives there with her husband, young son and a handful of creatures: Shannon the horse, Ena the grey cat and a goldfish called Richard.

She finds huge inspiration in her pets and often uses them as models, frequently asking Ena to pose so that she can study
More about Catherine Rayner...