Start by marking “Maximize Your Potential: Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks Build an Incredible Career” as Want to Read:
Maximize Your Potential: Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks  Build an Incredible Career

(99u #2)

Success isn't about being the best. It's about always getting better.

Can you step outside your comfort zone? Bounce back from failure? Build new skills? Tapping into your true potential is no idle endeavor. It demands creativity, dedication, and a whole lot of hustle.

With wisdom from 21 leading creative minds, 99U's Maximize Your Potential will show you how to generate new
Published September 24th 2013 by Amazon Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Maximize Your Potential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximize Your Potential

Jonathan Phares
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Maximize Your Potential is a shallow collection of short essays written by some experts and mostly psuedo-experts citing case studies and unsourced "studies show" to make a case for its many obvious claims. The book is dedicated to "those who strive". I'd argue those people, with whom I identify, are disappointed by the content in this book. With advice like be the better you and cultivate your luck quotient, how could we not be?

So as not to be completely derisive, I will point out a couple hig
Patrick
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Overall, this 99U book is a good read. It is what I like to call a "cocktail" of modern career advice. If you aren't following a lot of the Tim Ferriss' of the personal development era, then these collections of essays will be very rewarding.

While each essay holds up well, if you are familiar with a lot of these writers, then you might not get as much excitement from the material. But that isn't to say it isn't worth the read. Given its length, it's still worth reading and having that informati
Mustafa
مجموعة مقالات قصيرة مفيدة ومشوقة ، وتقدم زبدة الكلام دون اسهاب ممل
تتنوع المواضيع المطروحة ويتنوع كتاب المقالات ولكن هناك اطار جامع
وهو ما يتعلق بكيفية تحسين ادائك الوظيفي وكيفية تحقيق نجاحات في عالم الاعمال والابداع
الكلام المطروح ذو مصداقية جيدة ويساعدنا في فهم مايجري فعلا

*مهما حدث سوف تتكيف
* اعمل مجازفات صغيرة
* الاخطاء بمث
Anastasiya Mozgovaya
useful when both your mind & life are a mess :)
Sumeet Mahendra
WoW! So much to learn from this book. The second in series and an incredible sequel of Manage your day-to-day (link http://amzn.to/2lkpOXe )
Seriously, there're no words enough to explain the greatness of this book, a fabulous compilation of stories, lessons and teachings of some rare and successful persons.

Why just four stars?
Simply, bcoz earlier one was beyond my expectations and this one is some what repetition and extension of earlier book.

I honestly recommend you to read. If not, then at
Jason Abdul
Kurikulum yang hilang. Buku yang mesti dibaca berkali-kali.
Lindsay
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
While the tips in this book are new enough to the business world to avoid being cliche, there are still very few concrete and actionable tips for an ordinary individual to use. For instance, what does "accept uncertainty" mean in a person's career? How do you put that into practice. This book, like many other self-help books, fails in that regard. A few of the contributors did offer helpful and practical advice though, so the book wasn't a total bust.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this bo
Chris Theule-VanDam
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Change will lead to insight far more often than insight will lead to change.
Lilly  Minasyan
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“With focus and consistency you can change your habits. By changing your habits, you reprogram the behaviors that control most of your life and ultimately determine your success.”

I actually enjoyed this book way more than the first one!
It was full of great advices, examples and questions that you need to constantly keep in mind. I think that's why I am into self-help books, because you need to keep hearing the same advice over and over. Habits aren't created in one day, you constantly need to s
Vladimir Kobetic
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Vladimir by: Michal Pařízek
The first book of Maximize Your potential was more impressive for reading, however a lot of inspiration and bright ideas could be found in this book as well. I would imagine that in various stages of my live the book gives me different information and different insights of my life attitude.

Book highlights/extracts:
The possibilities are infinite. But so, too, are the responsibilities. Having that abilitiy brings the lead of your own development on to you, do not wait for the manager,that would gu
Yuko Shimizu
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading 99U books (there are 3 of them so far) is like going to a creative conference inside a book. There are carefully selected speakers with different background and expertise, talks are short and right to the point. There are talks that are relevant to you, and also there are ones that are not so. But overall, there are always things you can take away, you want to jot down to your notebook (or underline in the book).
And, just like 99U conference, talks are not superficial motivational BS. T
Paul Deveaux
Decent book. This is a collection of essays on four major themes to maximize your potential. If you are at all following any online gurus on productivity, creativity, and the like, you will hear several familiar voices here. Lots of great insights but not necessarily a cohesive tome. There is not a through line or a thesis here that is easily apparent. This book is best read an essay at at time, leaving space for reflection and adjustment before moving on to the next. Not a bad book but easily n ...more
John Stepper
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful. This book, along with the first in the series - "Manage Your Day-to-Day" - is a well-selected set of short articles from a wide range of productive, creative people.

It's a short, engaging, interesting read that delivers very valuable, practical wisdom.
Zeh Fernando
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you can get past the terrible foreword (which makes it sound as if the book was written for entitled pricks), this is actually a great list of thoughts and action items on various important topics for someone's career.
Saikat Basu
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A good read in short chunks. More for the guy, who is debating whether to take the next big step...or not.
Charlie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a quick and fairly useful book. There are several useful practical steps and insightful ideas presented.

The structure of the book was problematic because the chapters were so short and always ended with a short description about the author and their work. It seemed like having commercials in between each of the lessons. The overall effect was that the 'story' of the book was disrupted and it seemed like small sound bites of information from different people rather than a coherent and c
Katrina
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book, and by far one of my favorite and most useful books on my bookshelf. To first give context, this book is a series of short essays by 21 different thought leaders. The essays are organized by the topic of professional advice: 1. creating opportunities, 2. building expertise, 3. cultivating relationships, and 4. taking risks. This makes it especially useful and unique because you get such a diverse range of advice, research, case studies, and storytelling that very effe ...more
Annie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a collection of essays grouped into four categories: opportunities, expertise, relationships, and risks. Since the essays are short, most lack examples and depth that would provide insights to the reader. For example, one essay states that in this age of flux, the most important skill is the ability to get new skills. Obviously, being a quick learner is a valuable trait to have. However, suggesting that you try more things, particularly outside of your usual experiences, is not very ...more
Aarif  Billah
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Follow your passion” may be the most common advice job seekers received, but many would have heed it to their own detriment. Unfortunately, chasing our passion might turns out not to be relevant to most jobs,though other strong motivations may prevail.
Read further on my reading notes here (https://aarifbillah.com/2018/12/24/ma...)
Thanks,
Sasha Minh
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
There're several valuable points to learn from the book, but they don't go into detail so basically, don't expect much! This book is suitable for someone who's at the beginning of a career and want to have a good glimpse of planing his/her career journey. I am absolutely in love with the author's writing but the book is rather too shallow in general.

Tóm tắt sách tiếng Việt: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKr...
Barnabas
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Solid advice on career building, self improvement (with the help of peer groups), risk taking and cultivating creativity. The used blog/interview format I found very easy to follow and the advice comes from true life experts (who accomplished what they teach you).
I will reread this one, just as I did with the first book in the series Manage your Day-to-day.
Anil
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Neither was it a groundbreaking, nor thought-provoking book to me. If you read business related articles and/or books, you would have already encountered some of, if not all, the ideas this book tries to convey to its readers. Henceforward, I would suggest a potential reader to invest their time into a book that may provide more contemporary and unique ideas than this book does.
Veronica
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone out there that wants to build a strong career for themselves. It is full of great tips, advice, and research from all kinds of successful people in a wide range of fields. I would highly recommend, especially if you are someone who maybe fells lost or is doubting their ability to create something successful for themselves.
Kara
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
An easy read with some practical business tips. However, nothing earth shattering and unfortunately ends with a Bill Cosby quote, which made me seriously question why they couldn't have done a reprint with a new end page.
danni
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
a good collection of mostly practical advice, although the “just work really hard and it’ll all turn out great!” attitude falls short of acknowledging the realities of failure and hardships on the road to success
wing-wing
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn này rất gần gũi với công việc trong ngành quảng cáo. Cực kỳ hữu ích với nhiều lời khuyên hợp lý, dễ thực hiện, từ những thay đổi nhỏ và thực tế. Nếu bạn đang loay hoay với những bế tắc trong công việc thì hãy đọc nó.
Genilton Barbosa
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it

Great advices for antes creative mind trying ti improve life and work.
I liked very much the direction and simple language.
Elaine
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Each chapter features a different author/expert with a unique but complimentary point of view. A quick, but thought provoking read.
Tugrul Yuksel
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Goodreads Librari...: Request for New Book Addition/Merging? 3 18 Aug 08, 2013 10:04AM
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • The Freaks Shall Inherit the Earth: Entrepreneurship for Weirdos, Misfits, and World Dominators
  • Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day
  • It Will Be Exhilarating: Indie Capitalism and Design Entrepreneurship in the 21st Century
  • The Career Manifesto: Discover Your Calling and Create an Extraordinary Life
  • The Time Trap
  • The Little Guide to Unprocrastination
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Smart But Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • The Body Sacred
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Popular Lies About Graphic Design
Jocelyn K. Glei is a writer who's obsessed with how we can find more creativity and meaning in our daily work. Her latest book, Unsubscribe, is a modern guide to killing email anxiety, avoiding distraction, and getting real work done. Her previous works include Manage Your Day-to-Day, Maximize Your Potential, and Make Your Mark, which offer pragmatic, actionable advice for creatives on managing th ...more

99u (3 books)
  • Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
  • Make Your Mark: The Creative’s Guide to Building a Business With Impact
“Studies consistently show that when we look back on our lives the most common regrets are not the risks we took, but the ones we didn’t. Of the many regrets people describe, regrets of inaction outnumber those of action by nearly two to one. Some of the most common include not pursuing more education, not being more assertive, and failing to seize the moment. When people reflect later in life, it is the things they did not do that generate the greatest despair.” 2 likes
“Nothing truly innovative, nothing that has advanced art, business, design, or humanity, was ever created in the face of genuine certainty or perfect information. Because the only way to be certain before you begin is if the thing you seek to do has already been done. In which case, you’re no longer creating, you’re replicating. And that’s not why we’re here.” 2 likes