Start by marking “Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #8; Songs & Swords, #2)” as Want to Read:
Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #8; Songs & Swords, #2)

Elfsong (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers #8)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,729 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Fantasy - A book in the bestselling 'Forgotten Realms' series. Danilo Thann joins forces with a deadly enemy to discover who is causing the ancient ballads - the rich memory of noble quests and heroic deeds preserved by the Harper bards - to be forgotten or changed throughout Faerun.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 1st 1994 by TSR (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Elfsong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elfsong

Victor
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading "Elfshadow" I was intrigued to see what else would happend to Arylin and Danilo, and was a little dissapointed that Arylin only appears at the beginning of the book and that her role is inconsequential to the overall story.

Yet "Elfsong" is a powerful, witty and smart tale that made me savor every page from beginning to end. Elfsong is not a stand alone adventure about Danilo Thann; rather, it sets him on the spotlight of a plot that endangers the past, present and future of Faerun.
Mairen
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot better than the first one in this series. The storyline was much more interesting, and the characters were very capturing! I found myself liking even Elaith, even though he is just waiting for the right moment to kill off poor Danilo. The music in this book was amazing as well. I loved how it was combined with spell casting for an even greater effect. Songs and Swords is a perfect series name for this book in particular.
Joe
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
no comment
Jesse
Aug 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten-realms
Okay,

So I liked this book, but not as much as I usually like this author. This is one of her first books, so maybe that could be part of the reason.

The things that I liked were the intrigue in the city of Waterdeep and a bit of insight into the polotics of the Lords. I liked getting to know the character of Elaith and the relationship between him and Danilo.

I didn't like that Arilyn was not in this book (except in the very begining). I didn't like that the antagonist wasn't really evil, but dis
Hacedores Desierto
Bueno, teniendo en cuenta que del libro anterior dije que el personajes que más me gustaban eran Arilyn y Elaith, lo cierto es que cuando me encontré con que en este libro todo el protagonismo recaía en la figura de Danilo... pues fue una ligera decepción, por mucho que en la sinopsis me prometiera la aparición de Elaith. Me temía que iba a ser una aparición fugaz, al fin y al cabo, la verdadera unión entre Elaith y Danilo era Arilyn... así que sin ella no veía cómo iban a poder interesarse el ...more
Darren
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5 stars

I enjoyed how Elaine picked up the story from Elfshadow and continued the threads in this book. And I do love a sequel. I really do. This one just didn't strike me as anything that moved the needle into excellent territory. I will commend her on the grasp of the lore, the battles (harpies... yeah!), and the way in which she made spell casting feel like we were actually battling in 2nd edition D&D :)

I'm not sure if I'll continue onto Silver Shadows... if I do, I don't think
Veronica
I found a receipt in the back cover, so I have apparently owned this book since 2007 but never read it! I enjoyed all the cheesy high fantasy archetypes rolling around together, although I definitely missed the Arilyn/Danilo interaction from Elfshadow. (I have apparently retained a terrible soft spot for Elaith even though he's kind of... awful... so I especially liked seeing more of him. And Morgalla and Wyn were so cute! More dwarf/elf romance always.) On to Silver Shadows!
Donna
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone has altered the bardic songs and the memory of all but a few bards. Danilo Thann sets out to find the culprit and to break the spell before all of history and the future of his world is altered.
This is a great sword and sorcery novel. It has lots of action and suspense set in a world you'll wish was yours.
Brian Turner
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Elaine Cunningham is one of the better D&D novelists out there.
This one follows Danillo Thann from Elfshadow (book 1) as he has to try and find out why the old songs of the bards are being subtly changed.
Unlikely alliances are formed as he tries to get to the bottom of things.

Interesting mix of characters, fair amount of action as well as intrigue and picking at clues.
Jeff
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some excitement and humor, and some nice ideas about the importance of art in a political realm, but none of the characters other than Danilo are that multi-dimensional. I'm glad I read it for the Waterdeep connections but this kind of story needs more teeth to be truly engrossing.
Rhonda
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, favorites
A little slow getting into but once I got into it, I just devoured the book. This book took approximately 5 days to read. Time well spent.
Cindi Smith
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this story was full of surprises, and I'm happy for the way it ended for Danilo. Everyone got what they wanted in the end. There is no reason way any one would not like this book!
Nimrod Daniel
Shelves: reinos-olvidados
One of my favorites
Cynfelin
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love both, the characters and the history, and the way Elaine writes it!
Kevin Woodard
Songsmythe
Jan 03, 2015
Amber Campbell
Jan 13, 2013
  • Finder's Bane (Forgotten Realms: Lost Gods, #1; The Harpers, #15)
  • Stormlight (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #14)
  • The Veiled Dragon (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #12)
  • Curse of the Shadowmage (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #11)
  • The Ring of Winter (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #5)
  • The Night Parade (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #4)
  • Soldiers of Ice (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #7)
  • Rising Tide (The Threat from the Sea #1)
  • Red Magic (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #3)
  • Lord of Stormweather (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #7)
  • Realms of Mystery (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #6)
  • Shadow's Witness (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #2)
  • Heirs of Prophecy (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #5)

Elaine Cunningham is an American fantasy author, best known for her contributions to shared-world settings such as the Forgotten Realms, Star Wars, EverQuest, and Pathfinder Tales.
More about Elaine Cunningham...

Forgotten Realms: The Harpers (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Parched Sea (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #1)
  • Elfshadow (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #2; Songs & Swords, #1)
  • Red Magic (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #3)
  • The Night Parade (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #4)
  • The Ring of Winter (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #5)
  • Crypt of the Shadowking (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #6)
  • Soldiers of Ice (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #7)
  • Crown of Fire (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #9; Shandril's Saga, #2)
  • Masquerades (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #10)
  • Curse of the Shadowmage (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #11)