Start by marking “The Genesis Quest” as Want to Read:
The Genesis Quest

The Genesis Quest

(Genesis Quest #1)

The first title in ibooks' reissues of classic science fiction adventures by bestselling author Donald Moffit! After intercepting a message from Earth, Nar scientists have learned the secret of human life. The alien species understands everything about human technology and culture and uses this knowledge to build on each breakthrough until they succeed in re-creating ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by iBooks (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Genesis Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genesis Quest

Start your review of The Genesis Quest
Bria
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: members of a culture
Reading this book made me really weirded out by just about every aspect of human culture I happened to focus on or notice, as I tried to abstract it from the setting in which I found it, and imagine what information or impression could possibly be gleaned from it by an entity without all the background knowledge I have.
Eric Simons
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My idea of a sci fi classic

I read this book I don't know how many years , not long after i graduated from university with a biology degree. It used a lot of pretty up to date concepts in genetic engineering. While time hasn't been entirely kind to the science the story remains just as imaginative and believable as it was all those years ago. This is a universe that doesn't take shortcuts like other science fiction. Whether the Nar are possible they really sound like people I'd be glad to meet.
Chris
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting story and concepts centered on a kind of mopey and weirdly passive protagonist. Story is worth it for the world building, but I kept putting the book down in disgust at how much of a general weenie the main character was being. Having said this I also bought the second book in this series so the story was still compelling.
Jessica
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A lot of politics for such a short book. But very believable if this came to pass. Was really sad there was no audible version!
Sylvie Dale
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting concept, and very believable commentary on the essential nature of man (violent), but I just couldn't engage with it on an emotional level.

Bram is the protagonist, a human raised by a long-lived species called the Nar. The Nar look like big flowers with 10 petals - 5 above the waist and 5 below, with a belt of eyes around the waist area. They communicate with each other by touch through highly sophisticated cilia. They can also speak human language. The Nar actually received the
Joseph
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
So I've worked my way though this book. I can't say I like it. There are interesting aspects, the underlying concept is interesting...aliens catch the transmission of a genetic code, re-build it, and boom, humans, in another galaxy. I like some of the more out there science fiction concepts... Including the space ships. Moffitt must really have liked Niven, that's all I can say there.

But I can't like the protagonist. The human rebels I can understand...but the protagonist is a wet sponge, with
David Rowan
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
After intercepting a message from Earth, Nar scientists have learned the secret of human life. The alien species understands everything about human technology and culture and uses this knowledge to build on each breakthrough until they succeed in re-creating humans. Now they encourage their "pets" to evolve within the alien community and learn the mysteries of the galaxy, but prohibit any knowledge of the planet Earth itself. Bram has always dreamed of traveling to the forbidden planet. Although ...more
Alan Clark
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Interesting ideas and likeable aliens, so a great read. One minor quibble is that humans supposedly sent a radio transmission to the Virgo cluster of galaxies but the signal is detected by aliens in the Whirlpool Galaxy, which is in a completely different area of sky. How this happened is never explained! Having read three of the author's books, I find that he is prone to making strange errors, but despite that I can recommend the book (and its sequel).
Exan Gutierrez
It's not a bad book, but I couldn't get that interested in all the technological jargon. I'm not usually turned off by that kind of thing, but... i dunno. Bad execution?

Also, the Nar, are too... perfect, for my taste. It's claimed that in order to be able to evolve, in any world, you need to be the perfect predator. I'm not sure if it's true, but I felt them too mellow to survive in any kind of survival-of-the-fittest world.
Rob Rowntree

Recommended by author Greg Bear
Jon Norimann
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf_first_contact
Somewhat complex story about mixing humans and other races. A brilliant concept but the book never quite takes off.
Ash
Apr 08, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Artificial Life: A Report from the Frontier Where Computers Meet Biology
  • The Time Masters
  • The Sea Devil: The Adventures of Count Felix von Luckner, the Last Raider under Sail
  • Batavia's Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History's Bloodiest Mutiny
Donald Moffitt was born in Boston and now lives in rural Maine with his wife, Ann, a native of Connecticut. A former public relations executive, industrial filmmaker, and ghostwriter, he has been writing fiction on and off for more than twenty years under an assortment of pen names, including his own, chiefly espionage novels and adventure stories in international settings. His first full-length ...more

Genesis Quest (2 books)