Start by marking “My Bus” as Want to Read:
My Bus

My Bus

Published April 15th 2014 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about My Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Bus

PEI Public Library Service
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Joe drives his bus to town, stopping along the way to pick up five cats and five dogs. When the bus is full he drops off five cats and four dogs. At the end of the day, he drives his car home with the one dog left on the bus -- Joe’s dog.

My Bus cleverly introduces readers to a variety of modes of transportation (boats, trains, and planes), as well as counting and basic addition and subtraction. The cheerful, brightly coloured illustrations perfectly complement the simple text of the story. It's
Richie Partington
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: MY BUS by Byron Barton, Greenwillow, April 2014, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-06-228736-6

"I think I'm missing a contact lens.
I think my wallet's gone.
And I think this bus is stopping again
To let a couple more freaks get on.
Look out!"
-- Weird Al Yankovik's Queen parody, "Another One Rides the Bus"

Given how many hundreds of times I've read his books aloud over the past forty years, I cannot believe that I am -- for the very first time -- getting to write about Byron Barton. Having shared his
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a bizarre book -- this bus driver collects up cats and dogs, and drops them off on boats, trains, and planes. Big, garish illustrations. My toddler adores this book because of the variety of transportation options and the animals. Grateful to have returned it to the library if only for the break; I'll be getting it again in a month or so because he still asks for the "cat bus".
Joan
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians and little boys
This was a delightful book, very simple and happy. The bus driver narrates this story of how he picks up various animals and then drops them off at their destinations. Really, he acts more like a large taxi than a bus. But forget that. The story is gentle but interesting to the preschooler crowd. He teaches the audience simple addition and subtraction and ends with just a bit of a surprise for preschoolers to enjoy. This is a companion to My Car. The colors are nice and bright, perfect for story ...more
Alison
Sep 17, 2013 marked it as to-read
Great preschool/Pre-K math concept/ counting picture book. Children will count up and then back from #10-which I believe is part of the early level CCSS math goals for this age level. Simple, yet colorful art throughout. From a classic author-illustrator, Byron Barton.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-books
A delightful, vibrantly colored counting book.
Amy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Freaking adorable honestly
Megan Edwards
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
Goodreads description:
My Bus is a lively celebration of vehicles and transportation, occupations, pets, and basic math concepts. The busy bus driver in Byron Barton's preschool tour-de-force has a job to do. He drives his bus along his route, picks up the cat and dog passengers waiting at the bus stops, and delivers them to their destinations—which in this case include the airport, the harbor, and the train station. Along the way, children are introduced to the concepts of addition, subtraction
Mary
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Bus, author and illustrator Byron Barton. Children will enjoy counting along with Joe, the bus driver, on his daily route picking up his animal passengers and dropping them off at the train station, on a boat, and on a plane to fly away. The bright primary colored illustrations are engaging and entertaining. The font is large enough for small hands to comfortably follow the words, using their finger, during independent reading. This is a fun, but short counting story.
Target audience: Independ
Savannah Martin
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was interesting due to the fact that there is a bus driver who picks up animals and takes them where they need to go. However, if I were to read this book to my class I would probably use it more so as a math lesson. This book provides a lot of opportunities for children to count the dogs and cats as they arrive and leave the bus. It's a good learning experience because children love animals and they can use animals to help them with math.
Carlie Lattanzio
This short picture book is a good book for young children. This book could be read to a child that is learning about numbers and animals. The pictures could be better but, I think for a young child it will keep them interested. The author did a good job involving animals noises as well to get the children exposed to animals sounds. Overall, I think this is a good book for the children between the ages 2-4.
Mary Peble
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This particular book will probably go over well with any small child who likes either animals or "things that go."
I don't understand why my son likes all the Byron Barton books so much. The text isn't very exciting (doesn't rhyme, isn't catchy, doesn't invite mimicry), and the illustrations look like they were done via a 90's edition of Microsoft Paint.
RJ
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, storytime
Simple book with lots of opportunities to count while you read, but a little dull. Maybe I'm just bitter that it seems so much more highly rated than My Bike.
Mely
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Though we are a Byron Barton book loving family, I have to say that I was a little disappointed in this book. I guess I expected it to be like one of our favorites "My Car". This does have a counting theme related to it, but I thought the storyline just fell flat.
Eliot Reads
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great counting book created with photoshop art.
Kitty
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book
For some reason, all four kiddos (1.5, 2.5, 4, and 5.5 years old) loved this one and made me read it again and again and again... :)
Mikki
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Math skills picture book including cats, dogs, buses, and other vehicles. Ending has an "aww" moment.
Gwen Marie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: babies
Love the bold colors and large font. Variety of subjects - animals, transportation, and counting. Good length.
Kary
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this might be more appropriate for the toddler crowd. Probably will not use for storytime.
Caleb Moes
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230a
This was a simple picture storybook. It is easy to read. It is enjoyable and I think it is great for early readers.
A short, simple choice for toddler storytime. The bus driver takes cats and dogs to a train, plane & boat, then goes home with his own dog when his work is done.
Cori Cook
Joe drives a bus. On his bus route, Joe picks up some interesting passengers. By the time he makes several stops, Joe has five cats and five dogs on his bus. Where are the cats and dogs going? My Bus drives a very busy day. Joe drives his passengers to many stops until he only has one dog left on the bus. The last passenger and Joe share the final stop.

Activity – In My Bus, Joe picks up a total of ten passengers in four stops. After the four stops, there are five cats and five dogs. In My Bus, o
Katie Fitzgerald
This book features Byron Barton's characteristic style: bright colors, big clearly-defined shapes, solid backgrounds, and simply drawn figures. The pictures clearly depict what is happening in the text, and they make it easier for kids to follow the addition and subtraction as the bus fills up, and then empties.

Given the popularity of Barton's other books, there is no question that My Bus will find its way into many story time rooms. The fact that the bus's passengers are all animals makes it a
Margaret Chind
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written, to type. Sequel. Not my favorite type of illustrations, but without that preference in mind it is a good book for what it is.

My Bus 4 stars

Notes: Greenwillow. Transportation
40 Jacketed Hardcover 9x9”. Ages 4-8 Preschool

Illustrations reminicent of Todd Parr. My Bus is my first Byron Barton book, although I have an ARC of My Bike sitting here waiting on me. The illustrations are simple and bright. They are full of examples the earliest artists may emulate My Bus allows reader to meet se
Kara Stark
My Bus by Byron Barton is about a bus driver who spends his day driving around cats and dogs to where they need to go. The animals get dropped off and get onto other forms of transportation. The other forms of transportation are a boat, a train, and a plain. The story ends with the bus driver dropping off his last rider and heading home for the night.
This book is educational for pre-school and kindergarten students who are learning how to count and learning about transportation. Children are a
Gwen the Librarian
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A long-awaited follow-up to My Car, I was expecting this book to follow Sam on his daily bus route, but instead, we're introduced to a new character (is it Joe? Now I don't have the book in front of me, sorry). He drives through town picking up cats and dogs and the reader counts them as they board the bus. Then, he drops the animals off in different number combinations at their destinations of train, boat, and plane.

I don't love this title as much as My Car, but it has the dual appeal of vehic
Mary
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
At first glance, this is a bright, colorful picture book about a bus driver. But as Joe picks up his pet passengers, adult readers can guide little listeners through basic math concepts. How many dogs does he pick up? How many cats does he pick up? How many animals are on the bus all together? How many get off the bus at the train station? How many get off the bus at the airport? Reading this book will lay solid foundations for both math and reading skills. I am sure I will use it at story time ...more
Janet Luch
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Joe is a bus driver who picks up cats and dogs at various spots on his route. He then leaves them off at a train, bus and plane. This is a wonderful, colorful early math book because children can count the number of cats and dogs getting on the bus, how many animals are on the bus at a specific time, and how many get off at each stop.
Youngsters who like this book may also enjoy My Bike and My Car.
Jason
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
What I want to know is--why are all these humans transporting animals on mass transit? I feel like there might be something very sinister going on here.
I've got two theories:
1) We're in a dystopian society where pets have been outlawed and they're all being confiscated and sent away to be euthanized
2) We're in a dystopian society where dogs and cats rule and humans are their slaves, and they're all going on vacation.
Gratia
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Barton continues to do books for Toddlers with design skill that dazzle. While it might look simple his formula for a pre-school - K book is flawless, and this is one of the most exciting. Look at those color combinations! Enjoy the clear text. Think about what a child is feeling when he/she approve their first bus to school. All these emotional and visual needs are met with brilliant decisions. Layout is feisty but not chaotic. Joy is everywhere.
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • The Bus Is For Us
  • Matilda's Cat
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • One Pup's Up
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Five Trucks
Byron Barton is the author and illustrator of many picture books for young children. He has been honored by ALA, SLJ, and Reading Rainbow. He worked as an animator for CBS before he started creating children's books. He is currently making his illustrations completely on the computer.