Start by marking “Les Misérables” as Want to Read:
Les Misérables

Read Book* *Different edition

Les Misérables

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  621,868 ratings  ·  14,516 reviews
Jean Valjean is free at last after nineteen years in prison. Cold and hungry, he is rejected by everyone he meets. But Jean’s life is changed forever when he discovers love. He spends the rest of his life helping people, like himself, who have been victims of poverty and social injustice – ‘les misérables’.
141 pages
Published February 2012 by Pierre Bordas et Fils (first published 1862)

To ask other readers questions about Les Misérables, please sign up.
Melody I've read the Norman Denny translation and to me he truly grasped the poetry and drama of Victor Hugo's writing. Hugo wan't just a novelist, he was a…moreI've read the Norman Denny translation and to me he truly grasped the poetry and drama of Victor Hugo's writing. Hugo wan't just a novelist, he was a poet and a playwright and Denny communicates that in his translation very well. As I was reading it I couldn't stop thinking, "Why do they teach Shakespeare when every single line of Hugo is this deep, poetic, profound truth?". Some have stated that the language he uses is less true to the French version, but I believe he captured the spirituality, and this other-worldly quality of the novel the best of all the translations.(less)
Raya راية ترجمة منير البعلبكي، دار العلم للملايين

·  621,868 ratings  ·  14,516 reviews

Hippo dari Hongkong
Dec 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of the "biggest" book I've ever read, and I remembered Mick Foley's "warning" about a big book.

"A big book is like a serious relationship; it requires a commitment. Not only that, but there's no guarantee that you will enjoy it, or that it will have a happy ending. Kind of like going out with a girl, having to spend time every day with her - with absolutely no guarantee of nailing her in the end. No thanks."

Haha... Well, I took my chances reading this big book. I made my commitment, I spent
Emily May
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Les Misérables can be translated from the French into "The Miserable Ones", "The Wretched", "The Poor Ones", "The Wretched Poor" or "The Victims". So, as you will have concluded, this is not a happy book.

In fact, it is the very opposite of fluffy happiness. It is a story about the lowest and darkest parts of French society in the first half of the nineteenth century. Hugo takes the reader on a 1200+ page journey around France and into the lives of criminals, prostitutes, those wasting away under
Aubrey
Let's say that I could choose a single book with the guarantee that every man, woman, and child would read it. I would not choose my top three favorites, nor would I choose the one whose remnants are permanently inked upon me. I would choose this one. You argue, the length! The time period! The cultural barriers! It's just another long expounding by some old dead white guy whose type has suffocated literature for centuries! Women will be frustrated with poor representation, people who aren't whi ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'm in the minority unfortunately. I thought the book was okay. I was hoping it would blow my mind and be a favorite like The Count Of Monte Cristo, as I was afraid of that book too, but alas, it was not =(

I might as well put the ole spoilers tag up on here! Oh and even though Jean's name will be changed in the book, I'm sticking with Jean so I won't get all messed up!

FANTINE

6) Javert
7) The Champ
Fabian
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read the hefty Victor Hugo classic for my thirtieth birthday, &, let me tell you, the experience was One Biiiig Bitch. I mean, why EVEN go to the 200 + year old text when the Broadway musical exists! THAT work of art exudes all beauty and majesty in one continuous song that unites the characters through time; ultimately giving us a true theme, or feeling of genuine victory over adversity. The plot, one gorgeous telenovela of a story, replete with jailbreaks, insurrections, betraya ...more
Lisa
What makes a favourite book?

In this case, I will have to say: one single character that broke my heart and shaped my idealism and stirred my anger: Gavroche Thénardier.

"Si l'on demandait à la grande et énorme ville : Qu'est-ce que c'est que cela ? elle répondrait : C'est mon petit."

One of those street children that see and hear more during their childhood than most people ever experience, who carry pain and neglect with them on their daily adventures to survive in a hostile, careless environm
Ahmad Sharabiani
873. Les Misérables, Victor Hugo
Les Misérables is a French historical novel by Victor Hugo, first published in 1862, that is considered one of the greatest novels of the 19th century. In the English-speaking world, the novel is usually referred to by its original French title. However, several alternatives have been used, including The Miserables, The Wretched, The Miserable Ones, The Poor Ones, The Wretched Poor, The Victims and The Dispossessed. Beginning in 1815 and culminating in the 1832 Ju
Michael
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will be another review-as-I-go!

First, a thank you to Rachel for recommending the Fahnestock and MacAfee translation, which is wonderful so far!

Next, a question: Why have I been so drawn lately to these 1,500 page 19th century behemoths? War and Peace, The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and now this. Am I just a glutton for punishment? Or just showing off? I hope not. When I think about it, I think it has to do with the moral scope and depth of the work and the way these books rea
Ahmad Sharabiani
873. Les Misérables, Victor Hugo
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I saw the movie version of this before reading it and I was utterly shook by the powerful nature of the story. When I read it I hoped for the same experience, instead I had one more powerful. In life there are few truly great men: there are few men that are truly and incorruptibly good. Jean Valjean is such a man; he is a paragon of goodliness: he is a superb character.

At the beginning of the novel he sacrifices everything: he steals a loaf of bread knowing full well of the consequences. He ri
P-eggy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a couple of years since I read and reviewed this book. I asked a question in a spoiler, "How come Valjean never recognised Thénardier no matter how many times he met him?" And just now I had an ah-ha moment and realised it was because Victor Hugo himself might well have had prosopagnosia.

How did I get to this? I reviewed Oliver Sacks' On the Move and made a point about his prosopagnosia, face blindness, I have it too. It just struck me that although it is very odd for the hero never to rec
Jonathan Terrington
"We can only suppose that its new life as a musical - and what an appropriate fate for that most operatic novelist - will help to bring Les Misérables to the attention of a new generation of readers, reminding them perhaps that the abuses Hugo catalogues are still alive elsewhere, awaiting their own chroniclers in the brave new world of the twenty first century." - Peter Washington, Introduction

There are few novels which one can consider true masterpieces and among the greatest pieces of writing
Jo (A follower of wizards)
This is the longest book I've ever read, and is, without a shadow of a doubt, the BEST book I've ever been privileged enough to read. I mean, WOW. Hugo had me smiling, laughing and most of the time crying, all in one chapter. This is in no way, a happy tale. Not in the slightest. The man certainly knows how to captivate the reader, and captivate, he did.

The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two being
Duane
I'm obsessed with everything Les Miserables. The novel, the musical, the movies, especially the latest adaptation of the musical. I actually saw the musical before I ever read the novel. It's musical score is second to none and yes I have been known to shed tears during the performance.

The novel is epic, a timeless classic and described by some as "the greatest story ever told". I don't know about that but it is one of the most detailed and intricately constructed novels I have ever read.

The le
Matthew
I dreamed a dream of reading this book - and I accomplished it! Surprisingly easy to read - even though it did take quite some time. Hugo does go off on quite a few tangents, but the whole experience was fantastic!
Matt
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epics, classic-novels
“They fought hand to hand, foot to foot, with pistols, with sabers, with fists, from a distance, from up close, from above, below, everywhere at once, from the roofs of houses, from the windows of the tavern, from the basement windows of the cellars that some of them had slipped down into. It was one against sixty. The façade of Corinthe, half-demolished, was hideous to behold. The window, speckled with shot, had lost both glass and frame, and was just a shapeless hole, crazily stopped up with c ...more
Elyse Walters
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I noticed a few friends currently reading this masterpiece. I read the unabridged version over 20 years ago. ( with a class )
I enjoyed reading Goodreads member, Chrissie's process with this book and the many comments.
Highly recommend reading her process, followed up by what others have to say.

I was blessed reading this -with a class - and with my daughter who was only in the 8th grade at the time. Her brilliant literature teacher got each parent and student involved ( my husband was too).
Afte
Corinne
In my vacation, over the last two weeks, I visited the birthplace of Victor Hugo in Besançon, his home in Paris where his children were born, and his grave in Pantheon. I also read his “Les Miserables” again, that is 21 years after I read it for the first time in my High School in France, and I was surprised to see how differently I reacted to this book.

Then I realized the book has not changed over these 21 years, but it’s me who has changed!

At the school, I was obliged to read this book as a p
Jason
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Speed readers; people who like to curl up to month-long books
1466 pages!! And I've isolated the best single sentence in the whole book. It describes how you die in warfare:

If anything is horrible, if there is a reality that surpasses our worst dreams, it is this: to live, to see the sun, to be in full possession of manly vigor, to have health and joy, to laugh heartily, to rush toward a glory that lures you on, to feel lungs that breathe, a heart that beats, a mind that thinks, to speak, to hope, to love; to have mother, wife, children, to have sunlight,
Rebecca McNutt
There are many books that bring up morality and the meaning of "right" and "wrong", but none capture it as well as Les Misérables. This timeless classic needs to be remembered for as long as there are people on this earth.

SIDE NOTE: What's your favourite film adaptation of this book? I personally prefer the 1998 version but both versions are very well-made. :)
description
Kirstine
I don't believe I've ever been this ambivalent about a book. I don't remember having ever read anything that I loved and hate the way I do this.

Okay, it got four stars, so maybe there are more loveable than loathsome parts, but still, thinking about it tugs my heart in both directions.

When it's good it's excellent, and completely deserves 5 stars - more even. The descriptions of the moral complexities a man is faced with are spectacular and Jean Valjean's internal struggles are always a wonder
Kim

I put off tackling this novel for more years than I can remember. This was mostly because I wanted to read it in French and the length of the book daunted me somewhat. That, and the fact that every time I was in the local foreign language bookstore they didn’t seem to have all of the volumes. The fact that I was relying on a local bookstore rather than the Internet to obtain a book in French indicates how many years it’s been since I gave reading the novel any serious thought.

The last two month
Laz
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, really
“Teach the ignorant as much as you can; society is culpable in not providing a free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.”

A literary masterpiece. This is truly one of the best books I've ever read and I'm glad I took my time with it. So many characters, so many stories woven into one; a powerful & soulful book.

Victor Hugo is w
emma
4.5 stars.

This book is a masterpiece. I don’t even know how to review something so beautiful and complex, so I’m just gonna list a few of the MANY amazing quotes from this work of art.

I have been loving you a litt
Chris_P
Love and Revolution. Two words so closely related to each other that the one shouldn't exist even as a notion without the other. Love (not just the caring, Jesus-kind of love, but eros), this primitive angel, old as mankind and subject to all human flaws, is the fuel that ignites the all-embracing, all-changing Revolution, the flame of which is merely destructive without any will to create when devoid of Love. I could write pages upon pages about Les Miserables but I don't think there's any poin ...more
Viv JM
It feels like sacrilege to say as much, but I think I may have enjoyed reading an abridged version of this book more! If I were rating the story of Jean Valjean, Cosette, Javert and Marius, I would definitely give this a 5 star rating. It’s a fabulous story of redemption, full of wonderfully drawn characters, a gentle humour and some amazingly emotionally wrenching scenes. But, for me, the frequent, lengthy and occasionally eye wateringly boring transgressions detracted from my enjoyment of the ...more
Tom
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who can read or listen to audio cd's or a combination of the two.
Most people are familiar with the story of Les Mis because of the theatrical version which is itself a masterpiece, but most people don't bother to read the book. I read the unabridged novel and consider it among the most influential books of my life. (If you decide to read the unabridged version be warned; it holds hundreds of boring pages dedicated to subjects not directly related to the plot--such as the history of the Paris sewer system, the rules of convents, and battlefield strategy.) Les ...more
Jan-Maat
Sometimes you realise that there is a gulf of taste between yourself and other people. With me that realisation comes from Les Miserables. There are masses of reviews on Goodreads from people who give every appearance of honestly loving this book, personally I find it ridiculous.

Obviously this an issue of perspective, as a non-church goer I find it natural that a bishop, a senior Christian, would model Christian qualities (view spoiler)
David
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grisettes, Jondrettes, Cosettes
Oh. Hugo. Damn you are wordy!

I mean, Charles Dickens can go on, but read Victor Hugo and you will come to appreciate Chuck's brevity.

Such being the case, and a convent having happened to be on our road, it has been our duty to enter it. Why? Because the convent, which is common to the Orient as well as to the Occident, to antiquity as well as to modern times, to paganism, to Buddhism, to Mahometanism, as well as to Christianity, is one of the optical apparatuses applied by man to the Infinite.

Th
Bradley
A classic among classics.

I'd been meaning to read this ever since... what, the '80's? Okay. So I'm a bit late. No Andrew Lloyd Webber, either. And what a beast this novel is! Almost 1500 pages, full of grand sweeping expositions on War from Napoleon's exploits and downfall to the second French Revolution, diatribes on the language of convicts, the dealings of wine-houses, sewers, and no less than a dozen different social injustices of the time...

And yet, the horrible misery of the novel, some m

• Lord of the Flies
  • Anna Karenina
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • Ivanhoe
  • La Débâcle
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
  • The Duke's Children (Palliser, #6)
  • The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Portrait of a Lady
  • The Three Musketeers (The D'Artagnan Romances, #1)
  • The Red and the Black
Victor Hugo, in full Victor-Marie Hugo (b. February 26, 1802, Besançon, France – d. May 22, 1885, Paris, France), poet, playwrighter, novelist, dramatist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France, who was the most important of the French Romantic writers. Though regarded in France as one of that countr ...more
“He never went out without a book under his arm, and he often came back with two.” 6654 likes
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” 4371 likes