Start by marking “The Hellsblood Bride (Mookie Pearl, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hellsblood Bride (Mookie Pearl, #2)

The Hellsblood Bride

(Mookie Pearl #2)

Yes, we're going back deep underground for another twelve rounds with Mookie Pearl. Father, barkeep, former Mafioso, ruler of his subterranean crime-kingdom. The Organization is back, and they'll do anything to get Mookie on board, but Mookie has gone legit, and it's taking every ounce of effort for him to keep his new bar from crashing and burning. To top it all, his daug ...more
Published by Angry Robots (first published December 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Hellsblood Bride, please sign up.
Shane Keene Chuck Wendig just posted this today: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/.... Looks like Mookie Pearl is alive and well. Hellsblood Bride should be…moreChuck Wendig just posted this today: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/.... Looks like Mookie Pearl is alive and well. Hellsblood Bride should be out sometime around halloween.(less)

Dan Schwent
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
Nora Pearl is stuck in Hell and the only way out is to marry a demon. Her father, Mookie, has other ideas...

The second Mookie Pearl book is just as bad ass as the first. When the book starts, Mookie has one foot in the grave and a daughter that's all the way there. From there, things just get worse.

The book shifts viewpoints between Mookie and Nora and both threads are full of awesomeness. Mookie is like a human battering ram and Nora is much more subtle, making their viewpoints very distinct. T
Sebastian
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed "The Blue Blazes", the first book in the Mookie Pearl series, I have to admit that it was still one of my least favorite books by Chuck Wendig because the main character didn't really grow on me and urban fantasy just isn't one of my favorite genres.

So I went into "The Hellsblood Bride" without any high expectations and have to admit that I had a surprisingly great time reading this sequel. I barely remembered anything that had happened in the first book when I started reading bo
Kdawg91
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
if you like urban fantasy, you can not do better than Mookie Pearl, period.

(thats pretty much all I got to say about that)
Cathy
I got into it right away even though I couldn't remember anything about the first book except that I really liked it, and that I really wanted this one and that I was super frustrated that my library never got it. The important things came back as the story went along. I liked that the author didn't do any infodumps at all, the history was just worked into the story. As it should..

Don't read this if you're sensitive to violence (knives, some guns, lots of fighting, gangs, supernatural assassins
Gabriel
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The world Chuck Wendig created in The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl Book 1) was violent and fascinating, a version of Hell right under the streets of New York that festered with nightmarish creatures and was mined by a criminal group called the Organization for its mystical drug Blue, derived from the mineral Cerulean. Mookie Pearl, a wrecking ball of a man, ran that operation for them until his daughter Nora decided to turn the whole thing on its ear.

The Hellsblood Bride expands the mythology of Bl
Nick Nafpliotis
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected surprise to get this book a year earlier than anticipated. As expected, it was fantastic. Not quite as great as Blue Blazes, but darn close. Wendig also promised a definite ending...and we get one...but I really hope he continues with the series. The potential third chapter he set up would be awesome.
Karl
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another brain-bruising romp from Chuck Wendig! 4.5 stars.
Curtis Edmonds
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
You could make the argument that THE HELLSBLOOD BRIDE is an exercise in deconstructionism. It would be a remarkably stupid argument, but you could make it. Applying deconstructionism to genre fiction is a little bit like applying plastic explosives to the LEGO model of the Star Wars "Death Star" that the nerdy kid next door spent three months slaving over--essentially pointless, but good fun that could never hurt anyone unless you actually stepped on a LEGO brick.

When you blow a genre of fiction
Sunil
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2016
I loved the hell out of The Blue Blazes , so I eagerly anticipated the follow-up, and despite some publisher hiccups, it finally came out! And it was worth the wait. The Hellsblood Bride is a hell(sblood) of a (b)ride. I read it all in one day.

Whereas The Blue Blazes was supernatural crime noir, The Hellsblood Bride is more urban fantasy, but Wendig-y. Given that the previous book focused on, well, wiping out most of the crime noir element, I understand why this would be a very different book.
Reader-ramble
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably closer to a 3.75.
Chris Bauer
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Hellsblood Bride" is the sequel to Wendig's book "Blue Blazes" and like the first of the series, this particular book is written very well.

Our protagonist, Mookie, is one-man wrecking machine with a will of iron. When his daughter Nora, is trapped in a literal Underworld, it is up to him to find a way to bring her home.

Many of the excellent characters introduced in the first book make appearances once again - even if they were killed off in the prior work.

The writing is tight and filled wit
Kelly
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Excellent sequel. Beautiful writing, great story. Can't wait for the next one!
James Cox
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really entertaining with great characters!
James
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sequel to the excellent Blue Blazes. Just re-read this after reading it a few years ago. Really enjoyable; hopefully not going to have too long for #3 - there are three more colours to get through after all...
Troy Lefman
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good book by Wendig. Rich story, deep prose. The third book better be coming....
Angry Wombat
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The ONLY reason this isn't a 5 star is : not enough Mookie. Well, that and Nora is an annoying brat for too much of the book.

Actually, screw it - 5 stars...

OK. This book is like watching a Guy Ritchie or Tarantino film, and I mean that as high praise! It is visceral - you can hear, smell, even taste what is happening. The tension is pretty much ratcheting up non-stop. In the few times that we get to take a breather, you can almost feel something moving around in the darkness, just setting up to
Alexa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't know if it was because I read The Blue Blazes too long ago. Or maybe it was just because I wasn't in the right head space for this book. But I decided to read The Hellsblood Bride because I remembered how much gory, angry fun the first book was, and I like gory, angry fun, especially when I'm feeling cynical and mad at the world. Maybe I was wrong though, because something about this book fell really flat for me.

Mookie and Nora Pearl are slow moving boulders when it comes to character de
Andy Robson
This book is intense,rocket fast paced,viceral,brutal and a total blast from start to finish.Just shy of 300 pages means there's not a bit of fat on it.I doesn't stop,and i really mean that.No stopping to take in the scenery,no pause for thought. Just full on Mookie destroying everything in his path. Amazing stuff,and one of the best endings ever.
Eileen Lane
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy
Book 2 gives the reader much of that same ride and tone as book 1, although the focus is on Mookie’s daughter Nora and her desperate need to get out of hell. Action packed, lots of blood, gore and humor. Fast-paced and well written. I really enjoy the writing style of this author, and would definitely buy the sequel to this installment.
Matt
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, I hope this isn't the end of these books. Both of these books are just great. The ending to this one, in particular, is amazing. I really hope wendig gives us more in this series because the first two simply amazing.
Andy
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
In book one, the ending managed to make the potentially enormous world feel really quite small. That was fixed here. The world feels vast and full of interesting stuff.

Half way through I was losing interest, but it ended really well.
amyextradot
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent follow up to The Blue Blazes. Um, that's all I want to say so I don't ruin it. But, further character development, new beasties, new mythology.
Jean
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hot damn I love me some Mookie Pearl. Hell has never been so interesting.
Alex Chiang
Apr 10, 2017
Ruined
Jul 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)
  • Year of the Demon (Fated Blades, #2)
  • Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #4)
  • At the Gates (Demon Squad, #3)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies - FREE PREVIEW EDITION (The First 87 Pages)
  • Five Odd Honors (Breaking the Wall, #3)
  • Alternate Routes (Vickery and Castine #1)
  • The Horsemasters (Reindeer Hunters, #2)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • In Memories We Fear (Vampire Memories, #4)
  • Cry Mercy (Mercy Hollings #3)
  • Dream Stalkers (Shadow Watch, #2)
  • Robots versus Slime Monsters
  • The Last Rising (Curse of the Phoenix, #1)
  • Future Visions: Original Science Fiction Inspired by Microsoft
  • Sky Pirates (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, #3)
  • Cooking With Bones
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th

Mookie Pearl (3 books)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Red Devils Rise (Mookie Pearl, #3)
“It’s cliché, but you know sorry doesn’t actually do anything, right? It’s like a birthday card a month after the day has passed. It’s just a, a, a… a token, a word that makes you feel like you did something but that doesn’t do anything to fill the hole inside of me.” 0 likes
“He can punch a gobbo so hard the thing erupts into a rain of gobbo guts, but standing in line at the bank gives him the shivering shits. Interacting with Snakefaces? Fine. Talking to real people? Jesus fuck. The” 0 likes