Start by marking “Sounds Like London: A Century of Black Music in the Capital” as Want to Read:
Sounds Like London: A Century of Black Music in the Capital

Sounds Like London: A Century of Black Music in the Capital

For as long as people have been migrating to London, so has their music. An essential link to home, music also has the power to shape communities in surprising ways.Black music has been part of London's landscape since the First World War, when the Southern Syncopated Orchestra brought jazz to the capital. Following the wave of Commonwealth immigration, its sounds and styl ...more
Audiobook, 256 pages
Published August 22nd 2013 by Serpent's Tail (first published August 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sounds Like London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sounds Like London

Start your review of Sounds Like London: A Century of Black Music in the Capital
Petal X Planet
The book is almost like an idea for a book, or perhaps it is a book for people who know very little about the Black influence on popular music in London - and by extension the whole of the UK. It is a good primer, but that's about it. At one stage I was a World Music journalist (World Music is the pc term for African music because no one is really interested in Bulgarian Female Throat-singing Voice choirs although actually it is quite an interesting sound). I reviewed concerts and music and did ...more
FRom BBC radio 4 - Book of the week:

In the first episode the Empire Windrush brings an exciting new style of music to London with the arrival of Caribbean Calypso star Lord Kitchener.

Read by Ben Onwukwe.
Written by Lloyd Bradley.
Abridged by Natalie Steed.
Produced by Kirsteen Cameron.

FRom BBC radio 4 - Book of the week:

Read by Ben Onwukwe.
Written by Lloyd Bradley.
Abridged by Natalie Steed.
Produced by Kirsteen Cameron.

Bettie
BOTW

Blurb: The story of a city's transformation through its music, taking in the wave of Commonwealth immigration in the 40s right up to the present day.

Read by Ben Onwukwe. Written by Lloyd Bradley. Abridged by Natalie Steed. Produced by Kirsteen Cameron.

Enjoyed this one.

LORD KITCHENER - London Is the Place for Me
Terri
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm extremely interested in the topic. And there's gold information in this book. But it's let down by the repetition, within paragraphs, within chapters. It needs a damn good edit and would be half the size and a great read. I've only read three chapters and this puts me off forcing myself through the rest of it. Though I will read the sound systems chapter.
Jojo
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I will readily admit that the music described here is not one I listen to, so learning about the history and the types was of interest. I stuck with it and did learn, still might not listen too much but it is now a choice not just ignorance.
Karen
Jun 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
* 14 Books From 2013 Every Music Lover Should Read

Lloyd Bradley tells the rich, complicated story of black music in England in Sounds Like London, starting with jazz in the World War I era on through blues, reggae, R&B, and hip-hop. It’s a remarkably thorough book, and sheds light on dozens of obscure but hugely influential artists.
Amar
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very informative and easy to get through. No mean feat condensing a century's worth of music history into a couple of hundred pages. Had me searching on YouTube every page. Respect is due to all the great black artists that have contributed to British culture.
Dennis Lynch