Start by marking “Pannkoogitort (Pettson ja Findus)” as Want to Read:
Pannkoogitort (Pettson ja Findus)

Pannkoogitort

(Pettson och Findus)

Peadpööritava fantaasia ja muheda huumoriga jutustatud lugu pannkoogitordi küpsetamisest kass Findusele, kellel on sünnipäev kolm korda aastas. Nüüdseks eesti lastele juba armsaks saanud Petsoni ja Finduse lugude kõige esimese raamatu uus väljaanne.
Hardcover, Teine trükk, 24 pages
Published April 22nd 2013 by Koolibri (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Pannkoogitort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pannkoogitort

Start your review of Pannkoogitort (Pettson ja Findus)
Sheri
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The colorful and detailed illustrations add their own layer of fun to this comedy of errors as Pettson tries to make a birthday cake out of pancakes and whipped cream for his cat, Findus. Delightful and amusing!
Manny
If Pettson, P, is to make a pancake pie, then P must buy flour.

If P is to buy flour, then P must cycle to town.

If P is to use a cycle C, then C's tires must be intact.

If P is to make C's tires intact, then P must obtain a cycle repair kit R.

If P is to obtain R, then P must have the key to the toolshed K.

If K is in the well W, then P must have a fishing rod F.

If F is on the roof, then P must have a ladder L.

If L is in the bull B's field, then P must scare away B.

If P's neighbor N had known all of
Kathryn
I thought it was charming. I love all the detail in the illustrations and the humorous and unexpected way the story unfolded with regard to gathering the ingredients for the pancakes. Lots of fun little details in the illustrations that enhance the story.
Sylvester
5*art
5* story

(I love Sven Nordqvist. I want to read everything he wrote to Squirt. So it's frustrating to find that the library only has 2 books by him. Glum, that's what I am.)
This is a version of a Problem String, or Thwarted At Every Turn story - these come up in so many forms and I love them because they are so true to life (especially if you're a woman). Anyway, the illustrations are so lively and humourous, Squirt and I wish we could live inside the book.
Karis
As an almost adult teenager, it’s rare that one finds me with my nose in a picture book, unless it happens to be a moment when I’m re-discovering an old favorite when going through boxes, but I have to say I quite frankly ADORED this book and enjoyed every second of reading it.

The illustrations are so imaginative and charming, and the storytelling unique and just as satisfying as the pictures to match.

We’re introduced to the main characters, Pettson and his cat Findus of whom he lives with quite
Debra Shumate
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much, I named my cat "Findus". My grandchildren are huge fans of these Sven Nordqvist stories! They are very clever, and filled with charm and humor. I don't think they are very well known in the US. Too bad. I am adding my favorite here - maybe we can change that!
Mir
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Disorganized Festus and his cat have some madcap, but domestic, adventures whilst trying to prepare a cake. I'm told this is an abridged and less sarcastic version of the original text.
Abigail
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: (With Caveat) Readers Looking for Madcap Picture-Book Adventures
Pancake Pie - 1985 American translation of Pannkakstårtan.

One of three English translations of this classic Swedish picture-book - which include this American version, published the same year (1985) as the original; a 1999 translation ( The Birthday Cake ) done by Michael Rollerson for Bokförlaget Opal, the original Swedish publisher; and a British edition ( Pancakes for Findus ) released in 2007 - Pancake Pie is, judged on its own merits, and in isolation from any other version of the tale,
Abigail
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Picture-Book Readers Looking for Madcap Adventures Featuring Oddball Friends
The Birthday Cake - 1999 Michael Rollerson translation of Pannkakstårtan.

The first of Swedish author Sven Nordqvist's many picture-books devoted to the madcap adventures of Pettson the farmer, and his feline companion, Findus, The Birthday Cake is an entertaining tale of two friends and the extraordinary lengths to which they will go, in order to make that all-important birthday cake for Findus! (Well, I suppose it's not that extraordinary - I've been known to go pretty far out of my way for cak
Jenny
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The people in town think Pettson is crazy. But it really was all a misunderstanding on a day when Pettson was trying to make a birthday cake for his cat, Findus, and everything went wrong. A humorous story with a quirky cat and his quirky owner as the characters. Includes a recipe for Pettson's pancakes.
Megan
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of Swedish origin tells the story of a farmer named Festus and his cat, Mercury. Mercury has three birthdays each year - it's more fun that way - and on each birthday, Festus makes him a pancake pie. Mercury isn't the most patient or sympathetic cat, but he's pretty cute in his overalls, and no one ever said cats had to be good. As Festus encounters one problem after another and is quick to ask if Mercury is at fault (he would NEVER) the story escalates into an amusing tale of thwarte ...more
Molly
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is the story of a farmer named Pettson who is trying to make a birthday cake out of pancakes for his cat Findus but keeps getting sidetracked by unexpected things. While I find the illustrations fun, I think the story is overly long and convoluted.
Jess
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
August 2017 - one of those long picture books that really tells a story. Ben thought this was funny and wanted to read it again immediately. I'm not sure he got all the plot details, but he certainly thought the broken egg & trouser "pancakes" were funny, plus all of Findus' antics. ...more
Courtney Baird
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a super silly book that goes to show how things don't always go as planned. I would use this book in my classroom after something might have not went how I had planed for it to go this way students can see that it does happen all the time!
Maria Daianu
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s gold , but it’s a lot of paintings
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A winsome, silly series with humor for both parents and children.
Rose
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Whimsical and funny, this is one of the best books that I know of for small children. And one of the few which are not tedious to re read!
Jeannette
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to my friend, Emma, for introducing me to these delightful picture books!
Brian Shellum
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite children's author.
Katie Winkler
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story that helps children understand causal analysis. Love the illustrations.
Maisaa Salma
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very amazing and creative book for children. My son enjoyed tracking the events that occurred in this book, we even started to count the events at night before sleep and track them backward.
Rebecca
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
iconic illustrations, a real classic worth reading for any and all children.
Shannon
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fun book to read aloud with kids. Poor Pettson finds obstacles at every turn, trying to celebrate Findus's birthday.
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you North South books for bringing these characters to the US. I prefer their names to be 'Festus and Mercury' but the pictures and the sly plot lines are more important, and you seem to have preserved those well here. Now I want a cake made of pancakes and whipped cream! The recipe included looks interesting... it uses a bit of white vinegar....

(Pahrump)
Lynley
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll read anything published by Gecko Press.

I love the illustrations in this. I almost always love illustrations of storybook farms.

The story is quirky and a message is that you shouldn't spread rumours about people because you don't know the full story.
Jessica
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Findus, the cat, had a birthday three times a year because it was more fun that way. Pettson, the farmer, wants to make Findus pancakes for his birthday, but their are many obstacles to overcome.

This was one of my favorite books when I was younger. My siblings, and I checked it out of the library over and over again. We loved it when the farmer runs into his neighbor (and the confusion of the neighbor!) That is all I will say in the way of a teaser because I don't want to spoil the story for you
Beverly
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbf-cats, pbf-holiday
Our library recently purchased this new edition with the new title. I had read several of this author's books in the past, and I am pretty sure I read this one under the old title several years ago. One of the things I like about Nordqvist's books is the wealth of detail in the illustrations. In most of the illustrations, one can find small creatures, buildings, etc. that have nothing to do with the story. The story itself is as silly as the illustrations: all of the crazy things Pettus had to d ...more
Markus Hell
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the Pettson and Findus books are wonderful, but this one along with Stackars Pettson is probably my favourite. It's told in a simple but fun language that never seems childish (I particularly like the scene where the neighbour Gustavsson comes over and sees all the chaos that has been created), and the two main characters are fantastic. But of course, what really sets the series apart from other children's books are the illustrations - they are full of tiny details, where little creatures pl ...more
Linda
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read - and the curiosities in the pictures will keep the kids searching through the trees for ages. The story is built upon a bit at a time, with each new obstacle for getting the flour just adding to the great joy of those glorious pancakes at the end. It's a shame this book was tough to find, because it's a charming, entertaining read that children in pre-school to early school will surely enjoy.
Eva
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to read this book for my children when they were younger. The three of us loved it, the story the illustrations, everything. No matter how many times you read it, you alwys find a new detail in the illustration. It's fun fr othe children and for the adults as well. Now I'm reading it (and other stories about Pettson and his cat Findus) for my niece and nephew and they enjoy the books as much as I and my girls.

• Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #1)
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Mio, My Son
  • Der kleine Wassermann
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
Sven Nordqvist (born 30 April 1946) is a Swedish writer and illustrator of children's books. He is best known for his series Pettson and Findus, about an old farmer, Pettson, and his talented cat, Findus.

Nordqvist was born in Helsingborg and grew up in Halmstad, Sweden. He originally wanted to be an illustrator but was rejected by several art schools. Instead he studied architecture at Lund Instit

Pettson och Findus (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Findus and the Fox