Start by marking “Supergirl, Vol. 3: Sanctuary” as Want to Read:
Supergirl, Vol. 3: Sanctuary

Supergirl, Vol. 3: Sanctuary

(Supergirl (2011) #3)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  749 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Completing the H'EL ON EARTH crossover event that had made its way through Superman, Superboy and finally Supergirl.

When a mysterious Kryptonian arrives on Earth and convinces Kara that he intends on returning them to Krypton, prior to its destruction, in an effort to save the planet.  When presented with the opportunity to return home, the young and sometimes foolish Kara
Published February 18th 2014 by DC Comics (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Supergirl, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supergirl, Vol. 3

Jeff
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Crossover events that span multiple volumes for multiple characters are a “H'el”uva thing to keep straight and DC comics aren’t alone in the naughty publisher’s corner. Contained here we have bits and pieces of the “H'el on Earth” crossover, but not enough to follow coherently. The collection also lacks a resolution. Boo!

From what I can gather, H'el’s a creepy looking Kryptonian, player of mind games, who’s trying to enlist Supergirl in his quest to turn back the clock on Krypton’s destruction a
Anne
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it

Also reviewed at Addicted2Heroines

I'd already read most of this in the crossover comic Superman: H'el on Earth. Not only read it, but was fairly unimpressed by it.
So when I started reading this, and it turned out to be the Supergirl story that I'd already seen?
Yeah. Not so much with the Happy.
Supergirl: Sanctuary. I mean, it doesn't have H'el anywhere in the title! And it's not like I'm smart enough to look at the back of a comic before I pick it up, you know?!

Ok, ok. I'm big enough t
Gavin
Jul 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
After last volume, I was done with Supergirl, but this was at the library and a new writer took over...

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

This comic is a piece. Of. Garbage.

There's obviously crossover shit here, and I feel like a 7 yr old trying to understand quantum mechanics.

A bad guy named H'el? Fuck off.
Who's next a hero named H'even?
How about an anti-hero named Purga Torrie?

As with anything involving Kara, she inexplicably trusts ANYONE not named Superman, and anyone who is Superman a
Shannon
So Supergirl is to blame for Power Girl's stupid new boob window costume.

Thanks a lot, Supergirl.

full review to come ... possibly
Mizuki
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
I think I'd taken about an hour to finish reading Supergirl Vol. 3, it is a fun read and I'm glad to see the artwork being so fine, plus the character's design and their outfits are so outstanding (the combat scenes are also masterfully drawn). I rarely say this about DC's comic, but at least this time the artwork doesn't look too brightly colorful nor too crowded and the drawing is neat and upbeat.

However, I have huge problem with the stories, although none of the storylines and the setting are
Jesse A
Not bad. The H'el stuff (which is most of this volume) can be confusing without the completeness from the other books but the stories overall were entertaining.
Ricky Ganci
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-52
Note: Last week, I reviewed the crossover volume "H'el on Earth", which includes four of the same issues collected in this trade paperback. To avoid a recap of that material, this review will just cover my thoughts on the other four issues.

Appropriately enough, Supergirl, Vol. 3: Sanctuary picks up immediately where Vol. 2, Girl in the World left off, puts Kara's exploration of her new secret base on hiatus to follow Superman and Superboy into battle against the Kryptonian supervillain H'el, and
Vibeke
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
If I was reviewing this edition ONLY, I would give it one star. If I was reviewing the story ONLY, I would give it five. Unfortunately, you can't buy either this volume or the Superman/Superboy/Supergirl crossover graphic novel H'El On Earth, since Supergirl Vol. 3 includes issues that came both before the crossover and after. That's all that frustrated me, though.

I didn't like Power Girl, but I enjoyed her interactions with Kara. Kara is by far my favorite superhero and I still really sympathiz
David
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
4+ stars. One of DCs best titles these days. A bit jarring because only two chapters of a crossover event are here, so they didn't make much sense. Rest of the book is terrific. Might have to read the rest of the H'El story as I liked what was here.
Nicole
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013read, comics, owned
Read the separate issues.

The H'el on Earth story arc wasn't my favorite just cause Supergirl seems a bit too easily manipulated. Still nice to see a Supers crossover.
Matthew Lloyd
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's a hard decision to make, placing a star rating on this volume of Supergirl. In some ways, it's the best yet, combining Kara's resourcefulness with her desire to be alone and safe, with some well-intentioned comedy and a fun meeting with Power Girl. On the other, it's a jumble of stories which aren't complete, making the impact of what should have been a great emotional arc for Kara hollow and a little pointless.

I wondered, in my reviews of Batman: The Night of the Owls and Nightwing, Vol. 2
Chris Lemmerman
Michael Church
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I read this at the same time as Superman Vol 3, but not Superboy Vol 3. For anyone who doesn't know, this includes part of the H'El on Earth story, but not all, and not even the conclusion (which pretty significantly affects Kara. While I did enjoy the crossover, the choppiness between the issues and the way it relies on other books to get the full story is frustrating. Even worse, it's not like you could skip this volume for Supergirl and just buy the H'El on Earth book because this includes an ...more
Emmett Spain
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
We're in crossover territory for the Superman family titles, and as we've seen from DC in the recent past, the individual collections don't make a lick of sense unless you're also reading Superboy and Superman. Want to see Silver Banshee hiding her powers from Supergirl, and then have Supergirl knowing about said powers without any scene that explains it? Look no further! Want to see Superboy and Superman randomly turn up here and there, fighting villains one minute, wearing different outfits th ...more
Nancy Meservier
It appears that there's a really interesting story here, too bad you only get about a third if it. Supergirl, vol 3: Sanctuary, continues DC's tradition of having these large crossover events (this one involving the Sueprgirl, Superman, and Superboy comics), but when it comes to their trade paperbacks for the individual titles, they only collect the issues for that title. This means you only get the Supergirl part of the story, which is only PART of the actual story. It's like picking up a book ...more
Anchorpete
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was the perfect example of how the story arc can suffer when a crossover begins. The first two trades showed Supergirl's ongoing development, and began exposing this interesting and complex Kryptonian backstory, which her father's manipulations played a large role. Then you have this h'el on earth crossover with the other Superman books, and each issue abruptly starts in a different scene, leaving without any clue of what happened in other issues.
Sometimes, in trades that are collecti
Shaun
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This series had been on decline since it's strong initial putting, which makes it all the more disappointing that it sort of just unravelled toward the end. It think that it's definitely worth pointing out that Mike Johnson appears to have left the book as writer after the H'El storyline. There are several problems with this volume. First, the H'El storyline is told across issues 14-17 of Superman and Superboy as well as 14-17 of Supergirl. So for the first chunk of the book, you're getting a di ...more
James Caterino
This third trade paperback collection of the New 52 relaunch of Supergirl may not be as good as the first two volumes. The storyline is a bit disjointed and the strain of covering too many crossover plots shows. But still, this book is blast.

I love the angst-ridden shades of hormonal overdrive and impetuous teen stubbornness that writers have given Kara. The kinetic artwork is inconsistent but cool and colorful, particularly when it comes to rendering The Flash and Kara's costumes (both as Super
Valleri
Just when I thought this graphic novel couldn't get any more twisted and complicatedly insane, it takes a sharp left into total crazytown. Supergirl's teenage emotions are more prevalent in this volume, annoyingly so. There is so much going on it's difficult to follow which story arc we're taking especially with the added footnotes referencing different comic series altogether. When new authors take on established series, the results are chaotic and botched like a bad face-lift. This series is s ...more
Kyle
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dcu
Even though the majority of this collection is crossover material for the "H'el on Earth" event, I still found this to be an enjoyable read. It was nice to see a completely different side to the New 52 Supergirl, a more naive and vulnerable side which was brought on by H'el's nurturing/seducing. Also, I loved how they brought Powergirl into the mix... it made for some great, humourous dialogue.

3.5/5
Scott
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
It was an ok collection. I am liking the build up of Supergirl, but it's uneven at times. The collection started off with what looked like a conclusion of a story (a very bad way to start a collection....it should be a complete story) and ended with a Power Girl story that was too confusing. They assumed we knew who Power Girl was. I didn't and was lost.
Robert
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some of the worst art I've ever seen. Mangled bodies, distorted faces, and a full page with Superman and Superboy where boy looks a full decade older and man more resembles an anime character than the classic man of steel.
John Yelverton
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not really digging this whole "Supergirl verus the world" motif that DC has started pulling. We all know that teenagers have angst, but this is cranking the drama up to eleven. There are enough whiny people on the planet as is. Let Supergirl be super.
Amanda
I recently read Superman H'el on earth, which I didn't really care for. This is basically the same thing except it butchers the crossover and only gives you her issues of the crossover. In my opinion, this shouldn't of even been published as an individual book. Very badly edited.
Arturo
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-2012-new-52
He'l Crossover issues 2 stars.
Power Girl team up. 4 stars.
Derrick
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Pato Myers
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
So I liked the action, I am still happy with Kara's character, and I am a fan of her continuing to save a world that has only been cruel to her. Not a fan of the pacing, though that's probably due to the story progressing in other comics, I am tired of her getting experimented on and kidnapped, she needs a friend or two seriously,and did she just lose the sanctuary? She needs her own fortress of solitude, maybe something that doesn't try to kill her. Her story is not balanced, she has no life ou ...more
SSShafiq
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Most of this book covers the arc H’el on earth and is super confusing if you don’t read the rest of the stories together. Since I’d read the rest of the stories already this rating is based on the extra stories already. Most of the stories are random and confused. Too many characters pop up and I just felt that I had missed some plot points somehow. Had to go back to see if pages had been ripped out or something. No such luck.

The introduction of power girl was the last straw. Where did she come
Danielle Booey
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I will freely admit that I only gave this volume 3 stars because it is mostly an extension to a much longer crossover. I hate reading books where I only get part of the story and volume 3 of Supergirl reads exactly like that.

This volume finishes up Kara's conflict with Simon Tycho, shows some parts of the H'El on Earth crossover from the main New 52 Superman books, and then starts a new arc with Lex Luthor testing both Supergirl and Powergirl. It is a lot to take in and there isn't much story co
Nate Balcom
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kind of a lull in the series. Love the characterization of Sanctuary (perhaps I'm just a sucker of talking computer interfaces). Was really not impressed that the plot from this "volume" of Supergirl was heavily dependent on stories told in other titles but not included in the volume. Batman's Court of Owls volume does a better job collecting a cohesive story. All in all a quick enjoyable read.
  • Supergirl, Vol. 2: Girl in the World
  • Animal Man, Volume 3: Rotworld: The Red Kingdom
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 3: Iron
  • The Flash, Vol. 2: Rogues Revolution
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 3: At the End of Days

Supergirl (2011) (6 books)
  • Supergirl, Vol. 1: Last Daughter of Krypton