Start by marking “Codex Seraphinianus” as Want to Read:
Codex Seraphinianus

Codex Seraphinianus

An extraordinary and surreal art book, this edition has been redesigned by the author and includes new illustrations. Ever since the Codex Seraphinianus was first published in 1981, the book has been recognized as one of the strangest and most beautiful art books ever made. This visual encyclopedia of an unknown world written in an unknown language has fueled much debate over its meani ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Rizzoli (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Codex Seraphinianus, please sign up.
Douglas Summers-Stay It's completely unreadable on Kindle or off! It's written in a made-up language. But personally I would get a hardcopy if you can possibly find one…moreIt's completely unreadable on Kindle or off! It's written in a made-up language. But personally I would get a hardcopy if you can possibly find one that's affordable. You would have a hard time making out the details on a Kindle.(less)

Start your review of Codex Seraphinianus
Forrest
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine that Stepan Chapman, M.C. Escher, Albrecht Durer, and Salvador Dali were locked in an underground dungeon with an infinite amount of art supplies and only LSD to eat. Suddenly, a wayward creator-god shows up with a genetic splicer set to randomize the mixing of species and common objects, creating before the artists a set of real-life models from which they might take inspiration.

Codex Seraphinianus is a natural history of the surreal, a book that truly defies categorization. It is reminiscent of the old Harper's Maga
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
This a weird art book. And by weird, I mean extremely weird. o.O

Nandakishore Varma
This book is a dream come true... literally. Ever since I saw it once on "world's weirdest books" list, I have wanted to possess it: however, the fact that it was very difficult to get hold of a copy and even if one was found, the price would very well drive it out of my reach forced me keep it on a very remote wishlist. Until Liz provided me with a pdf copy. Thanks, Liz!

It would be wrong to say that I have read Codex Seraphinianus - I haven't. In fact, nobody other than the author has. It is written in
Joe
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2015
Remember that time when dad was in the military and he was stationed at Area 51. And he got transferred to that alien planet. And we had to go to live there for like three years. And we had to learn their language at the school. And the writing was some kind of weird calligraphy. And we got that science book with all those weird drawings in it. Well now you can buy that book on Amazon.
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
This book is the epitome of surreal. This book is also one of the damn coolest things I've had the honor of looking at. I'm so glad I own this. It wasn't cheap to get so this book ain't going nowhere! They charge over $500 for this book at Powell's!

So what's the plot of the book?

Ayyyyy...cheldkfifk I dunno.

Just imagine if you saw the Voynich manuscript and with a shot of LSD, created the brainchild of H.P Lovecraft, Salvador Dali, Max Ernst, Rene Magritte, Frieda Kahlo,
David Schaafsma
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an art book, oversized, with a fantastical premise: To appear like an encyclopedia of the unknown world, the imaginarium, complete with invented language. A work of immense ambition and kind of breath-taking scope, it is sort of like if Jim Woodring and Charles Burns and 40 fantasy artists combined to create this volume of amazing and strange creatures . . . only Serafini did it all, all by his lonesome. Originally published in 1981, it was re-released in 2013. And it's impressive. And s ...more
Stuart
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If the answer's not in here, you're asking the wrong question.
Mikimbizii
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH-MY-GOD. I could trip on this book for an eternity. It is the most exquisite, weirdest and amazing book I've ever come across.

I could only get a PDF of this book, but going through it was like suddenly soaring up to a new level of awareness, of aesthetics, of pure beauty. It is splendidly incoherent, but buried deep within its exquisite babble is an almost terrifying understanding, a glimpse into something that we are yet to attain, a disturbing, tantalizing truth half-revealed. What makes th
ds white
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually found a copy of this for a steal. The little shop had no idea what it is worth and as I read through it I have to wonder why it is worth so much. Albeit, it is a strange title and comforting in it's maddness. It is kind of like being on peyote. If James Joyce and M.C. Escher had a child at Rod Serlings home under the direction of L. Ron Hubbard. Difficult to find a copy of this under five-hundred dollars, so I feel very fortunate to have found it at a reasonable book price. However, I w ...more
Emm the Bookmunculus - Half Human, Half Library
Dreamscape compatible, human-friendly Earth literature. Mostly.
Codex is a homegrown, hand-drawn field guide to somewhere we can see from afar in the little corners of our eyes but never reach. Rings of blood become ladybugs, every insect, mammal and metal are all born from flowers, and most importantly - carrots can be siphoned out of potatoes. Marvelous.

Unlike itsMostly.
Adriana Scarpin
Take that, Acre boy!
Taube
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In his essay, "Codex Seraphinianus, Hallucinatory Encyclopedia," Peter Schwenger (specialist in liminal literature) writes: "To name things and to classify them are ways of bringing them into focus, both visually and as objects of knowledge; but the Codex brings into focus naming and classifications themselves, and implicitly reveals their systems of order to be hallucinatory." Schwenger thus suggests that systematizing and classifying are themselves illusory (i.e. subjective) endeavors. The art ...more
Devin
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My entire experience with this book involves flipping to a random page and thinking "whoa...weird." I find this greatly rewarding, but others might not.
Jacob Overmark
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I did not exactly "read" it ... did anyone?
Douglas Summers-Stay
క కా కి కీ కు కూ కృ కౄ కౢ కౣ కె కే కై కొ కో కౌ కఁ కం కః క
ఖ ఖా ఖి ఖీ ఖు ఖూ ఖృ ఖౄ ఖౢ ఖౣ ఖె ఖే ఖై ఖొ ఖో ఖౌ ఖఁ ఖం ఖః ఖ
No one can read the Codex Seraphinianus: at best you can leaf through it, uncomprehending but with a continual feeling of discovery. The most similar work is probably the Voynich Manuscript. It is an encyclopedia of a unknown world in an unknown language, in a script that resembles a kind of cursive Telugu. The copy I have is doubly mysterious. It is a color printout of a poorly scan
Erik F.
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impenetrable and nearly indescribable. What a creation! Like some lost Da Vinci notebook (if old Leonardo had been fond of LSD), it is filled with imaginative and intricately detailed drawings of strange machines, inventions, buildings, mutations, and charts categorizing otherworldly flora and fauna — all "explained" by lengthy paragraphs of an incomprehensible "Voynich Manuscript"-esque code. Is Serafini from another galaxy? An alternate universe? I almost believe so. Regardless, this is certai ...more
Nirvana
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fucking drugs, even more so than Ernst's Une Semaine de Bonté. Read this and you'll be high as space junk. Black Moth Super Rainbow is the perfect soundtrack for this shit.
Quiver
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you'd like a bewildering encounter with an alien culture, the Codex Seraphinianus is the book for you. It’s an encyclopaedia of an imaginary world written in a fully incomprehensible language and illustrated with detailed, coloured drawings that cover all areas of life: flora, fauna, science, manufacturing, alien (humanoid) anatomy, history and ethnography, dining and fashion, and architecture.

As the act of understanding words will be limited, here is a taster of visual delights that await you
putri
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book feels like discovering an entirely new world which is amazing because everything here is something that we have seen before combined to make you feel a surreal, disturbingly joyous experience. it is something that was never meant to be fully understood but somehow, it gives you a clearer idea of how our semi evolved simian brain will probably never be able to comprehend the culture of beings from another planets. it's kinda terrifying and yet somehow, wondrous too.
Christopher
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CODEX SERAPHINIANUS is a bizarre but enormously inventive work by the Italian artist Luigi Serafini, first published in 1981. Over 300 pages handwritten in a completely unintelligible script (which, like the Voynich Manuscript that probably inspired it, may not even be decipherable), the Codex seems to be an encyclopedia about the Earth of a parallel dimension, where human beings like us exist, but with entirely different cultures and surrounded by alien flora and fauna. This is the graphic equi ...more
ΞιsNιnΞ RΞχ~ΚαrnιFΞχ
A Not-So-Sacred Text For Those Who Believe In The Primacy Of Imagination

This book really is as special as it was purported to be. There are a great many art books out there, art monographs that collect the paintings and photographs of an artist or group of artists. Some are even linked by a very specific theme, or setting, or models/characters, to give the monograph a more cohesive feel. The Codex Seraphinianus, however, is something different. Every page, every illustration, every a
Nicole
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, you know, not so much reading as "reading"

It feels strange to mark this book as "read" when no language interface of any kind actually happened. (I guess it's still better than listing my coloring books.)

Having looked through the whole thing, I'm actually more intrigued and baffled by it than before. Apparently the language is asemic, so it's all about the pictures. At least one image has its source in a text, but I have neither the knowledge nor the patience to track down the
Mike
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, dead or alive
an encyclopedia of a fabricated world grossly more interesting than our own. in a made-up language. gorgeous, with a penchant for quasi-shroomy conceptual linkages (two people having sex turns into a crocodile slithering off a bed); fairly amazing, if you can get your hands on it. i recommend inter-library loan. if you're a jerk, you can keep it and just pay the loss fee; it's really out of print.
Julian
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This freakin' book is an act of God.
Everyone needs to sit with this for a few hours.
There is nothing else like it in the world.
My copy set me back a good sum, but it's worth it.
I could sit here an try and type out a notion of what this books about
but any description I could come up with would fall
flat. One just needs to see the Codex.
Chumbert Squurls
There are no other books like the Codex Seraphinianus nor will there ever be. The insane genius that wrote this book was obviously a prophet being told a travel guide by otherworldly visitor. This book puts a crack in the monotony of modern life. Read and be amazed.
Andrea
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If we intercepted Wikipedia entries from another planet they would look something like this. Good for evoking a sense of alien-ness and incomprehensibility.
Neva
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa. Bizarre, gorgeous, beautiful, insane. Another league. I'd give it 10 stars plus a crocodile.
Mike
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, fantasy, art
It's a little misleading to say I "read" this, as it is written in an invented and probably meaningless script. This book has been described as the strangest book in the world, an encyclopedia from another world, and hoax of staggering ambition. Previous editions of his book are collector's items, as it has usually been published in tiny, expensive runs where each copy costs hundreds of dollars.

I finally got my hands on the first mass-market edition through a library loan and it is i
Hakim
This encyclopedia about life on an alien world is deemed the weirdest book ever published. It is written in an imaginary tongue and deals with key features of this peculiar fantasy world; flora and fauna, 'human' history, culture and traditions, ethnicity and race, science, architecture, medicine, games...

Codex Seraphinianus is indeed very, very psychedelic and unusual. Some of the illustrations are hilarious and others so creative and thought-provoking, I couldn't stop staring at them.

Bottom

• The Singing Bones
  • Safari Honeymoon
  • Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane
  • The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • The Cage
  • A Book of Surrealist Games
  • Crawl Space
  • The Voynich Manuscript
Luigi Serafini is an Italian artist, architect and designer. He is best known for creating the Codex Seraphinianus, an illustrated encyclopedia of imaginary things in a constructed language.