Start by marking “Crossbones Yard” as Want to Read:
Crossbones Yard

Crossbones Yard (Alice Quentin #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  911 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Introducing Alice Quentin, a London psychologist with family baggage, who finds herself at the center of a grisly series of murders

Alice Quentin is a psychologist with some painful family secrets, but she has a good job, a good-looking boyfriend, and excellent coping skills, even when that job includes evaluating a convicted killer who's about to be released from prison. O
Published January 21st 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Crossbones Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossbones Yard

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I deliberated between 3 and 4 stars for this book, I am settling on 3 stars in the end (I will explain why). So, I am a huge crime fiction reader, it's my most read genre, I have no secrets around that, and as the years go on I find I am getting fussier with this genre, largely due to some spectacular 5 star reads I have read in the last year.

What's this book about then?

Olivermagnus
Crossbones Yard is the first book of a series featuring Dr. Alice Quentin, a psychologist who comes from an abusive background herself. In the prologue we see Alice as a child, hiding in a closet while her drunken father beats her mother. Then we leap forward twenty five years where Alice is consulting for the police to determine how closely they need to monitor the soon to be released Morris Cley, a suspected serial killer. One night while jogging, Alice, who is an obsessive runner, stops for a ...more
Jane
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I’m wary of dark crime fiction, preferring to read just a handful of authors I know I can trust, but I read words of praise that made me think I might have found another name to add to my list. Now that I have read her first novel, ‘Crossbones Yard’, I can say that I have.

There are many elements that are familiar in this book, but the quality of the writing was such that I didn’t mind. It made the characters, their worlds, their situations lived and breathed. And, as this is the first book in a
Christine
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alice Quentin is a psychologist living in London. Alice likes going running alone and she is not afraid of the dark seedy parts of town. During one of her runs, she encounters the body of a dead female at Crossbones Yard. Soon Alice is receiving threatening letters from a killer, who seems rather attached to her.

A good solid first novel by Kate Rhodes. Although I felt at times, I had read it all before, I loved Rhodes' writing style and that kept me reading.

What stood out for me in this book wa
Jade Hoggins
This novel hits all the tropes in a mostly fulfilling way.

Alice is a high achiever with a terrible past, which, of course, makes it difficult for her to let anyone get close to her.

As usual, as protagonist she makes a lot of stupid decisions in order to advance the plot. Going for runs at night in East London when there is someone killing young women in the area and sending her death threats. Escaping those whose job it is to protect her. Having sudden bursts of lust for men who are aggressive
Debbie
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sara
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about damaged people and the damage they inflict on one another; it threw me for a loop, but I won't say why. Although the story has a formulaic plot and predictable structure, there is a refreshing aspect that turns the damsel-in-distress genre on its head. There are some rather tired plot points, obvious red herrings and many of the characters seem to come from a writer's stock catalogue, but Rhodes manages to do some interesting and surprising things with them.

The actions of A
Cheryl
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Quentin is a psychologist. Alice has a routine. She loves to run alone at night. This is a bad combination, especially running through a bad neighborhood filled with gangs and murders. During her run, Alice spots something on the ground at Crossbones Yard. Crossbones Yard is a former location for prostitutes.

With the murder, it brings back an reference to an old case of the Bensons. The Bensons were a husband and wife couple who killed about a dozen prostitutes and buried them all over th
Carol
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads for the chance to read this book.

The story line was a bit predictable. It felt more like a TV series than a novel. I did not feel that there was much character development or much of an interesting plot. The main character was a Psychiatrist which could have been written with a lot more enthusiasm. The concept of the novel could have made a chilling novel and am disappointed in the lack of effort.
Susan
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in 24 hours! I couldn't put it down. A thriller that draws you in and won't let you go.

Thanks to Goodreads for my copy, it came with Winter Foundlings which I am to start now.
Raven
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now to London in the contemporary era in the company of Kate Rhodes’ Crossbones Yard which has been languishing on my shelves for far too long. The first of a series introducing claustrophobia-suffering, relationship-fearing psychologist, Alice Quentin, who finds herself unwittingly drawn into the world of a serial killer by virtue of her consultancy work for the Metropolitan police. Using Crossbones Yard, a neglected piece of London ground that was used as a cemetery for fallen women as a locus ...more
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Cross Bones Yard’ by Kate Rhodes
Published by Mulholland Books, June 2012. ISBN: 978-1-444-73875-9

Psychologist Alice Quentin is approached by DCI D on Burns of Southwark police to visit Morris Cley who is being released from prison the next day owing to a technicality. Cley’s mom was close friends with Ray and Marie Benson who had killed 13 women before they were caught, tried and imprisoned. Five of their victims were never found. What Burns wants to know is how much of a threat to society is M
Marcia Ferguson
It was a no-brainer to choose this book ... gorgeous cover and Louise Penny recommending it in her 'blurb'.

Now I'm wondering if Louise read it. I appreciated the intelligent way author Kate Rhodes depicted each of the detectives. They were unique and interesting people, with plenty of small details to bring their personalities out to the reader. And it was a page-turner because I suspected red-herrings half way into the book, chose my 'culprit' and kept reading to see if I was correct. I wasn't.
Cleo Bannister
Crossbones Yard is where Alice Quentin finds a woman's body, just outside the memorial gates to the graveyard where fallen women were buried from the 16th Century.

This crime novel works well, Alice is a psychologist with a difficult past who is asked by the police to interview Maurice Cley a man who is due to be released from prison. Maurice was a close friend of the serial killers Ray and Marie Benson who had killed 13 young women . With a potential copycat killing Alice becomes more involved h
Beth
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3.5 stars for this one. I liked it and I definitely liked it enough to read # 2. Plot, characters and setting were all excellent. My only criticism is the main character, Alice Quentin, was as stubborn as she was gutsy. I'd add dense as well, since as a practicing psychologist, she should have known better than to behave in the rather reckless of her own safety manner she did. She had a terrible and abusive childhood which left her deeply scarred and pretty damaged, so her actions in this are un ...more
Kate
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In a lot of ways I really enjoyed this book. In other ways I would have liked to have kicked the female character in the butt around the block a couple of times. Her behavior was totally at odds with what a sensible professional person would do. It almost smacks of the 'had I but known' school of mystery writing. I have ordered the next book in the series and I really hope that she has smartened up in the second book other ways that will be the last book of the series I will be reading. I guesse ...more
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting into this. While I realize that it's the first book in the series, it felt like too much was introduced at once. The information about the characters didn't go deep enough, so it was hard for me to understand why they acted as they did. There was a lot of telling, but I'd have liked to see more and draw my own conclusions.

It's a fast paced and ambitious first book - the plot basics are good and maybe with time (reading the other books in the series), I'd get the charact
Katrin
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hab es versucht, aber es war wirklich schnell klar, dass mir das Buch nicht gefallen wird.

Der Schreibstil kam mir schon ab der ersten Seite irgendwie lieblos dahin gerattert vor, ohne das ich ein Gefühl für die Szenen oder die Personen entwickeln konnte.
Alice war mir dementsprechend auch sofort unsympathisch, so dass ich es nun aufgebe.

Schade, hatte mich auf die Reihe gefreut. Aber es sollte wohl nicht sein.
Teri
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Dr Alice Quentin had a troubled childhood. She and her brother Will have grow up having great jobs . Will for the past eight years is dealing with mental illness while Alice is always there to help him, on the days he allows her to. Alice goes running a lot to clear her mind. Never imagining running by the grave yard ....she would find

This is a must read. I loved it
Christine Ray
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written fast moving British mystery centering around a female psychologist. Just dark enough with well-drawn characters. I was surprised about who "done it"-- something that rarely happens-- but in retrospect, I realized that author Kate Rhodes had thrown out some clues that I had missed because of my own assumptions about the characters. Looking forward to reading the other two books in the series.
Jo
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice is a psychologist in London, unwillingly drawn into the serial killing of prostitutes whose bodies are carved with crosses reminiscent of a previous serial killing couple. There are comparisons to be drawn with Fred and Rose West but that's all. This was a real page turner and gets 5 stars for me not being able to spot who the killer was. Talk about a shock ending.
Frances
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
How could you, Kate Rhodes? How could you end your book so painfully? Sigh. Still, it's a great story.
Emily
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and enjoyable as much as a novel about killers can be. I did like Alice, although she was something of an idiot, and the killer was a little predictable...
Jennie
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Beautifully written and thoroughly enjoyed.
Susan Page
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enthralling story, hard to put down. Alice Quentin has an extremely abusive background, and has been left with mental scars. She has become a psychologist to help other people suffering from mental trauma. Part of her job at Guy's Hospital is to assist the police when required. She is called on by DCI Don Burns, who wants her to interview a convicted murderer who has had his sentence reduced and is about to be released from prison, and this is the start of a sequence of events that se ...more
Tara Russell
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, fast-paced read, quite compulsive. I was awake about 4am this morning and instantly reached for this book, just for a couple of chapters...

I really like a functional central character with oodles of baggage, and Alice Quentin has baggage in spades. Many of her decisions and actions are illogically dangerous, but the scene was set for those actions to make sense in context of Alice.

I was also disgusted with myself that I didn't seen the signs that pointed to the killer. I fell victim t
Tyrkysová Knihovnička
Kniha je typickým zástupcem krimi, které se téměř více věnuje osudům hlavních hrdinů, než samotnému spáchanému zločinu. Jako rozjezd série bylo možná potřeba co nejvíce poznat Alici, z pohledu samostatné knížky je to ale trošku na škodu. Vnímavému čtenáři navíc neuniknou ani prvoplánové narážky a od určité části knihy ani samotný vrah. Celkově nebylo Tajemství hřbitova Crossbones ničím neobvyklé, osobně dám šanci i dalšímu pokračování - prostor ke zlepšení zde ale jistě je.
Celá recenze zde :)
Jovdb
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather a good story set in London, England.

Alice Quentin had a terrible childhood, growing up in a household where physical violence was the norm. Now she is a psychologist.

Alice found the first body while out for her usual run. DCI Burns asks for her help when he realizes the murders are patterned after an old case. He asks her to visit the female half of the killing duo to see if she can shed light on the current spate of deaths.

This is the first in a new series. I hope that the rest look ve u
Tameka
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
For a minute or two I actually thought the brother was involved but I realized that he mist have seen something that made him have a series psychotic break. Too bad for all those women.

I guess my other question why did he become so enamored with Alice. It was like he saw her once and that was all the story wrote.

How come no one thought of it before. I mean it was a good thing that the bubbly DI got her promotion because she was so observant and went on her hunch.

Made for interesting read espe
Christopher
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit fanciful in places but I enjoyed the very realistic portrayal of pain suffering anguish anxiety of certain characters particularly Will, plus the more light hearted characters. Lots of character types to play with. Great book to read on the train to London, particularly if walking round the areas mentioned. Captures the atmosphere nicely. Thriller turns to horror story.
  • Good People
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • The Blood Whisperer
  • Lonely Graves (Pieter Posthumus Trilogy, #1)
  • Murder in Hindsight (New Scotland Yard/Doyle and Acton, #3)
  • The Lost (Paula McGuire, #1)
  • The Serpent Papers (Serpent Papers Trilogy #1)
  • The Arnifour Affair (Colin Pendragon Mysteries, #1)
  • The Informant (Kaz Phelps, #1)
  • Dead Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #1)
  • The Catch
  • Avenged
  • Murder Below Montparnasse  (Aimee Leduc Investigations #13)
  • Stay Alive (Scope #2)
  • Through the Cracks
  • Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)
  • Red Ribbons (Dr. Kate Pearson, #1)
2172022
KATE RHODES is a full-time crime writer, living in Cambridge with her husband, a writer and film maker. Kate used to be an English teacher and has published two award winning collections of poetry. In 2015 she won the Ruth Rendell short story prize. Kate is the author of the acclaimed ALICE QUENTIN series, with the fifth book, BLOOD SYMMETRY published in 2016.

In January 2018 Kate will publish the
More about Kate Rhodes...

Alice Quentin (5 books)
  • A Killing of Angels (Alice Quentin #2)
  • The Winter Foundlings (Alice Quentin, #3)
  • River of Souls (Alice Quentin, #4)
  • Blood Symmetry (Alice Quentin, #5)
“Your mother is holding your hand too tightly. You whimper and cling to her dress, because you know what will happen next. She stares at you, as if she's forgotten how to blink. There's one last glimpse of her face before she bundles you into the cupboard under the stairs. 'Don't make a sound,' she hisses, 'don't even breathe.' Darkness smothers you as the key twists in the lock. There's a chance that he won't find you, cowering on the floor, between the broom and floor mops, a stack of wellington boots.” 0 likes