Start by marking “Nothing Personal: A Novel of Wall Street” as Want to Read:
Nothing Personal: A Novel of Wall Street

Nothing Personal: A Novel of Wall Street

Warren Hament is a bright young man who wanders into a career in finance in the early 1980s. Nothing Personal is the extraordinary story of his rapid ascent toward success, painted against a landscape of temptation and personal discovery. Introduced to the seductive, elite bastions of wealth and privilege, and joined by his gorgeous and ambitious girlfriend, he gets a care ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Personal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Personal

Start your review of Nothing Personal: A Novel of Wall Street
Rebecca
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I won a copy in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. In some ways this was not a book for me; I think I assumed it would be more like some of the strong literary reflections on financial crisis that I’ve enjoyed in recent years (e.g. Capital by John Lanchester, A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks, Union Atlantic by Adam Haslett, The Devil I Know by Claire Kilroy, and The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan - you can see it’s a topic I’ve thought a lot about).

I got through a little o
Lance Charnes
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of financial skulduggery
I’m often on the lookout for good business-themed mysteries and thrillers. Not ones where the hero or villain happens to be a businesscritter, but ones where business is vital to the functioning of the plot, where the mystery or thrills grow out of the supercharged environment of high finance or corporate skullduggery.

Nothing Personal, career securities trader Mike Offit’s debut “novel of Wall Street,” promises this on the book’s product page: “Warren [the hero] soon finds himself at the center
Fran
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nothing Personal: Mike Offit

Idealistic, smart and career oriented Warren Hament enters the world of investment banking, bond trading and finance in the early 1980’s hoping to have a lucrative career in the world of high finance. But, Warren is naïve in many respects and as we walk the halls of Weldon along with him, go through the initial intake or interviews the world of top-tier banking comes alive for the reader. Warren is smart, astute and cunning in many respects and is able to circumvent t
Tim Parise
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall, a pleasant and entertaining read. The insider culture of Wall Street that it describes is nothing particularly surprising if you've already read Liar's Poker. The two books cover much of the same ground when discussing the education, experience, qualifications, and hiring of new Wall Street employees, but Nothing Personal fleshes out the bare facts with vivid descriptions of ancillary benefits like golfing trips and Palm Beach weekends, and does so with color and humor. Offit has a rath ...more
Mack Manning
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly well-written Wall Street book, although it's really much more of a morality tale and coming of age story than just a murder mystery... kind of a sophisticated bodice-ripper. The characters all came right off the page, and stayed with you, like some reviewers put it. The plot did not seem contrived, and the revelations of how devilish the top firms on Wall Street are left me shaking my head.

I have no doubt that Mr. Offit saw much of what he writes about... there is one sce
Sandie
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Warren Hament should be on top of the world. After graduating with his masters degree from Columbia, he joins the world of high finance, working as a bond trader on Wall Street. The salary is great and the commissions and bonuses are better. There are lunches and dinners at top-notch restaurants and plenty of client boondoggle vacations to take. He has a gorgeous apartment, makes more than anyone else he knew at school, and has an amazing girlfriend to boot. Why then, is he uneasy?

Warren become
Author Groupie
Do not let the title of Mike Offit's Nothing Personal: A Novel of Wall Street scare you off if you are not a fan of numbers, trading, and most importantly, Wall Street. Offit is able to break down junk bonds, prepayments, and mortgage-backed securities in such a manner even I understood what was being discussed and wholeheartedly continued to turn the pages.

Hooked on page three by the characterization of a microeconomics professor teaching at Columbia Business School, I liked the subtle humor an
Suspense Magazine
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Mike Offit employs his wealth of insider knowledge as a Wall Street trader during the 1980s in this clever tale of greed, murder, and success at any cost.
Warren Hament is a fresh MBA graduate who enters the high stakes world of investment banking with the encouragement of his beautiful and ambitious girlfriend. He frequents exclusive clubs in New York City and is a welcome guest in the fabulous mansions of his mega-rich friends and clients in the Hamptons, Hobe Sound, and Dark Harbor. Warren is
Benoit Lelièvre
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a case of a novel that actually does nothing wrong, but does nothing to stand out either. At least, not to me. I've read reviews by people more knowledgeable of Wall-Street culture than I am and they seem to have enjoyed this novel very much. I liked it, I thought it was clever and well-structured, yet I failed to have an emotional reaction to NOTHING PERSONAL. It just didn't move the needly all that much. I appreciated its architecture more than I liked its content.

Let's concentrate on
Wendy Hines
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
From page one, Nothing Personal, became personal in the fact that I was hard-pressed to put the book down. I was caught up from the very beginning in the life of Warren and how the complexities or simplicities for some of Wall Street and how it worked. Not only that, but I was intrigued on how the corruption was tied to the killings. I know it was because that's usually how a crime/thriller novel works, but I was intrigued on the way the threads of securities and trade linked to the crime.

Not to
My Book Addiction and More MBA
NOTHING PERSONAL by Mike Offit is an interesting Wall Street novel Thriller/Wall Street/Investment Banker/Fiction. Meet Warren Hament, who is a new and upcoming Wall Street Trader and who is about to be introduced to the elite of wealth and privilege and a murder investigation or two.

For an incredible ride into the fast and furious world of Wall Street, murder, deceit, mayhem, big money, seduction, moral dilemmas,sex, creed, and power you must read "Nothing Personal". What an incredible story fr
Sharon Chance
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As someone intimately familiar with the workings of Wall Street, author Mike Offit brings his expertise and knowledge to his debut novel, "Nothing Personal."

This is a novel based on the wheelings and dealings of the moneymakers on Wall Street, but it is so much more as well. There is mystery, adventure, intrigue, and surprisingly a great romance to be found among the pages of this thrilling story. I went into reading this book with little knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes of the big t
Wendy
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book grew on me. Warren graduates from Columbia with an MBA and starts working at a top investment-banking firm. A few people he works with mysteriously get killed. While he is not the suspect, even he realizes that it is somewhat strange that he benefits from their deaths in terms of career advancement. The side stories of girlfriends and places he goes as his lifestyle changes are entertaining. The story sometimes gets bogged down in details of trades and banking that are worth skimming o ...more
Lea Clark
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A First Read, preview. Loved this book! The plot was fabulous, main character was well developed (would have liked a little more on Larissa earlier). I was surprised by the ending, but it didn't come out of the blue - logical conclusion. I hate stories where the twist is completely random.
Very enjoyable!
Exapno Mapcase
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a Goodreads First Reads review.
Nothing personal, it’s just business. That is the prevailing theme of this novel which features a young man on the rise in the financial industry. The focus is more on the business side with a series of deaths hanging around in the periphery. I did feel that the killer was fairly obvious, but it was still a good read.
Nicki
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

This book is pretty boring with poor character and plot development. If it weren't the only reading I had with me on a trip, I wouldn't have made it as far through the book as I did, which was halfway.
Tim
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Pretty well-written novel by someone who clearly knows and understand Wall Street, but it's so dated (an Eighties setting) that it feels, well, dated. Probably based on the author's first-hand experience of Wall Street in that time, but after 2008, this feels like (and is) old news.
Linda Marye
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The book was not terribly well-written, especially in terms of pacing. It was sort of hard to think of it as a mystery. However, its description of Wall Street will make your hair stand on end. Nothing is what it seems!
Donnary
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, adult-fiction
A story about Warren, a fresh graduate who's a wall-street-big-timer wannabe. Prestige and luxury only comes to those people who are ambitious enough to sacrifice everything and risk even their freedom. Warren will be in the middle of the money-hungry people in wall street.
Dionisia
The bad news: Only mildly entertaining and the "twist" ending was eye-roll inducing.

The good news: I acquired a free copy of this book via a Goodreads giveaway. The only thing lost was time.

Don Paske
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Just barely a page-turner...
Johanna
May 03, 2015
Michelle
Jan 03, 2016
Sandra Seetaram
rated it did not like it
Nov 08, 2014
Ursula
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Woman Is No Man
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • The Tale Teller (Leaphorn & Chee, #23) (Leaphorn, Chee and Manuelito, #5)
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • Secondhand: Travels in the New Global Garage Sale
  • Lionheart (Plantagenets #4)
  • Immigrant, Montana
  • Behold the Dreamers
  • The Night Listener
  • Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing
  • Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • Janis: Her Life and Music
  • MBS: The Rise to Power of Mohammed bin Salman
  • Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
  • The Historian
  • Spy in the House of Anaïs Nin
  • My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands
1 follower
MIKE OFFIT began a twenty-year Wall Street career after graduating from Brown University, abandoning advertising, and earning an MBA from Columbia University. He rose to become a senior trader at Goldman Sachs, and to head the mortgage and asset-backed securities trading desks at First Boston, Prudential, and finally at Deutsche Bank, where, as managing director, he built and ran the Street’s lead ...more