Start by marking “The Pawnbroker (Charlie Henry, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pawnbroker (Charlie Henry, #1)

The Pawnbroker (Charlie Henry #1)

Charlie Henry is the proud new owner of the Three Balls pawnshop, having recently returned Stateside from special-ops work in Iraq. The transition back to normal life seems to be going smoothly for him and his Army buddy and co-owner of the shop, Gordon Sweeney—until Gina, Charlie's childhood friend, gets shot in a transaction for information from the previous owner of Thr ...more
Published January 28th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pawnbroker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pawnbroker

Fredrick Danysh
May 01, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Charlie and Gordon are special operations veterans of the War on Terror who buy a pawn shop in Albuquerue, New Mexico. While trying to procure the combination to an old safe in the shop, a lawyer friend is shot. The pair sets out to find the shooters and quickly run afoul of two gangs as the web of crime spreads.
Larry
Feb 02, 2014 Larry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before starting "The Pawnbroker", I had heard of the husband and wife author duo, David & Aimee Thurlo, but I had never read any of their mysteries set among Native American culture in the Southwest. I wanted to read this novel because I knew the Thurlos are highly acclaimed writers with a string of best sellers and I wanted to get in on the ground floor of a new series. In a nutshell, I was really disappointed and I certainly will not continue with the series. The plot, in my opinion, was v ...more
John
Mar 11, 2015 John rated it really liked it
A nice change of pace for the Thurlos, and a great start to a new series. This is a much more "guy-oriented" story; a bit hard-boiled, with lots of action including car chases, fisticuffs and shootouts. The two main characters are extremely appealing, and their wise-cracking chemistry seems straight out of an eighties buddy-cop movie. The story is complex, entertaining and fast-moving. Also nice to see urban Albuquerque portrayed realistically. Looking forward to the next adventure of Charlie &a ...more
Deborah
Jan 25, 2015 Deborah rated it liked it
I don't think I read anywhere that this was just David Thurlo writing it, since it has her name on it also, but it seemed more like a book a man would write. I still enjoyed it. In the past, my hubbie & I both read the Thurlo books (Ella Claw), but since Aimee has passed away it will be interesting to see what David does.
Catherine Woodman
Feb 28, 2014 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
I love this duo's Ellah Clah series, but this book, about two veterans who own and operate a pawn shop, is not up to their usual quality. I read it, I would get another one out of the library, but I wouldn't actually seek it out
John Kues
Feb 24, 2014 John Kues rated it it was ok
Lots of action but oh so boring. All the stereotypes and macho hero ex military action. I almost didn't finish it but it didn't really take very long. Simply did not impress me.
Sherry
Jul 07, 2015 Sherry added it
Characters I’ve not seen in their books before. Set in Albuquerque, NM using Navajo ex-special forces and his partner who now own a pawn shop. Not their best stuff. I miss sister Agatha.
Hope
Jul 26, 2015 Hope rated it did not like it
Have you ever read a book and wished you could write comments for the author in the margins? That's what I wanted to do with this book. It had an interesting concept- ex-soldiers who open up a pawn shop and stumble into trouble- but the execution was sloppy, reading almost like a new writer's promising novel before the editors get their hands on it. But this wasn't the authors' first novel, which was why the sloppiness was so bothersome.

The back of the novel promised "adrenaline" and "Lethal Wea
Denise Zendel
Jun 14, 2014 Denise Zendel rated it it was amazing
Charlie Henry, a Navajo, and his partner, Gordon Sweeney, have returned to Albuquerque after mustering out of the Army, where they did special-ops work in Iraq. They decide to purchase a pawnshop in downtown Albuquerque as their next adventure. The acquisition doesn’t go smoothly, however – the former owner, a man of questionable morals, has run the business into the ground, upending the business records and possibly stealing a lot of cash from the shop. Charlie’s childhood friend Gina, now an a ...more
Stephen
Charlie and Gordo are two Afghan War vets returning to civilian life, but as it turns out, parts of Albuquerque aren't that much safer than Kabul. When their friend and attorney is gravely injured in a drive-by targeting someone else, the two are obliged by honor to find and wreak vengeance on the shooters. The Pawnbrokers opens with the drive-by and is loaded with fist fights and shoot-outs; Charlie and Gordon's roles in these affairs is gamely tolerated by the ABQ PD, in part because one of th ...more
Linda Smatzny
Apr 08, 2014 Linda Smatzny rated it really liked it
This is a great book. The cover says mystery but I feel it is more of a thriller. The main characters are Charlie Henry and Gordon Sweeney who have recently purchased a pawn shop. They are friends from their time in special op missions in Afghanistan. A friend gets shot during a favor for them so the guys get involved in finding the shooter. It turns out to involve gangs and a woman running from an abusive husband. It was a real page turner. Hope the authors write another book featuring these ma ...more
Susan
Mar 28, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Navajo Charlie Henry has been honored with a parade by his tribe for his service in the Middle East. He has now returned to Albuquerque to take over a pawn shop with his partner Gordon Sweeney. The shop seems a good investment until Charlie’s lawyer friend Gina is shot in an apparently simple negotiation for information about the business. Fast-paced with interesting characters and an unpredictable plot.
Karen Kinsella
Mar 18, 2016 Karen Kinsella rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this new book from the Thurlos, although maybe not quite as much as their Ella Clah series. This has interesting, believable characters; some, but not over-the-top suspense and violence, and a decent storyline that kept me reading. This isn't great literature, but it provides an engaging story that is well written and with a satisfying ending... something I can't say for a lot of current books these days.
Joshua Parry
Sep 20, 2015 Joshua Parry rated it it was amazing
This is for pages. 304 pages. When Charlie leaves the army he hopes that he will have a normal life. He buys a pawnshop but in a business deal with the shop's former owner, both the owner and his friend are shot at. The owner dies. This book is the story of Charlie's journey as he tries to find out who shot his friend and the shop owner.
Vontel
Jul 16, 2015 Vontel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, going back to read the first in the series, having started with the second. It fills in the characters a bit more, as well as sets up the story lines. Don't know how I would have rated it if I had read it as a stand alone.
Guna
Mar 06, 2014 Guna rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A couple of comrades have left the military after extensive comb at service, and now try to settle into quiet civilian life. But when they buy a pawnshop, they get embroiled into a nasty situation which results in several deaths and a child kidknapping.
This was suspensefull all the way through.
Ashley
Apr 14, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
This is a quick read. I enjoyed it and kept thinking of it as an episode of Law and Order or NCIS or something along those lines. It wasn't incredibly predictable either which is a relief in a short mystery novel.
Ron1902
Author should keep the details consistant. Charlie has his weapons confiscated by the APD so he has a new to him pistol, Beretta 84 .380 caliber with no spare magazine - page 99. Page 113 - 114 Charlie places said pistol and an EXTRA magazine in the glove compartment.
John Chadwick
Mar 29, 2014 John Chadwick rated it really liked it
Good action and a fast read. Two army war friends buy a pawn shop and rapidly find themselves in the middle of what seems to be an Albuquerque gang war. Turns out to be much more.
Veronica
Sep 02, 2015 Veronica rated it liked it
This is an easy fun read with two great characters who are talented and humorous with their banter. The plot is interesting and fast paced.
Kerry
Sep 11, 2014 Kerry rated it liked it
Shelves: recreation
Promising start to a new series. I felt like the authors tried to cram in too much back story in the first book. I will watch for the next one though.
T J
Jan 30, 2014 T J rated it really liked it
This is a top notch, fast moving murder mystery. The Thurlo's have done it again with rich characters and well planned plot that will make you want more.
Rick Stark
Jan 28, 2014 Rick Stark rated it really liked it
Very good read. Charlie and Gordon are a great pair of characters and the plot was well planned out.
Hope for more in this series. Note: I still miss Sister Agatha and Lee Nez.
Frank Byrns
Frank Byrns rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Kamini Madansingh
Kamini Madansingh rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Dean Heitman
Dean Heitman rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Loretta Micheals
Loretta Micheals rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Geri
Geri rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David and Aimée Thurlo were married for thirty-eight years. David was raised on the Navajo Indian Reservation and left Shiprock to complete his education at the University of New Mexico.

Aimée, born in Havana, Cuba, died in February 2014.

The Thurlos' novels, translated into many different languages, are available around the world.
More about David Thurlo...

Charlie Henry (4 books)
  • Grave Consequences (Charlie Henry, #2)
  • Rob Thy Neighbor (Charlie Henry, #3)
  • Kill the Heroes (Charlie Henry, #4)