Start by marking “Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)” as Want to Read:
Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)

Why Earls Fall in Love

(Wicked Widows #2)

Society often makes strange bedfellows--and even more surprising betrothals...

IS IT A REASON FOR ROMANCE?
Young widowed Georgina Mowbray is settling into her role as Lady Russell's companion quite well--until the lady's nephew Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, arrives in Bath for a visit. Georgie's always found him shallow and too smooth, and trusts him as much as she trusts
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published January 28th 2014 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Why Earls Fall in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Earls Fall in Love

Start your review of Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2)
Susanne
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Manda Collins is such a winner for me! I adore all her books and they are consistently very sweet and likable. Can't wait for the next one!
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is the second book in the Wicked Widows series from Manda Collins.

The series centres on sisters, Isabella and Perdita, and their friend, Georgina… all widows of abusive husbands. They share a terrible secret concerning the death of Perdita’s husband, the Duke of Ormonde, but find themselves threatened by someone who obviously knows that secret and is out for revenge. The first book, Why Dukes Say I Do , told Isabella’s story and this is Georgina’s (Georgie’s) story.

“…he has nothing m
Claudia
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
wow, I liked this one even better than the first.

the characters here were a delight and I loved how their relationship developed. I loved that both had their insecurities but nevertheless were willing to work through it.
the mystery was quite nicely done and kept me on my toes.

this could have been a 5 stars read but I have to take half a star off because of the ending. it is rather disappointing that Mrs. collins is so short here.
it left me totally unsatisfied as I thought it was a rather short
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
Why Earls Fall in Love (Wicked Widows, #2) by Manda Collins
Manda Collins

Isabella, Perdita and Georgina were all in the room when Perdita's hubby, the cruel and evil Duke of Ormond, was shot and stabbed to death and, now over a year later, a evil unknown nemesis wants REVENGE for the Duke's untimely death!

Mrs. Georgina, Georgie, Mowbray married an Army man and, like her mother, followed her hubby from post to post. But unlike her mother, her hubby used cruel words, huge fists, belt, boots or anything handy, to abuse her with. Now that he is dead, she
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

The widowed Mrs Georgina Mowbray is finding life as a ladies companion far preferable than the life she ever had as a wife to her brutish and new deceased husband. There are only two things disturbing her new life, one being the Earl of Coniston, Con, who is far to handsome and charming by far and seems determined to befriend her and two a dark secret that only she and her two closest friends are privy to. But Georgie and friends secret may not quite be as secret as they thought as they all
My Book Addiction and More MBA
WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE by Manda Collins is an exciting Regency Historical Romance. #2 in the "Wicked Widows" trilogy, but can be read as a stand alone. See, "Why Dukes Say I Do". Fast paced filled with deception, passion,danger and love.

Meet Georgina Mowbray and Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, Lady Russell's nephew. Georgina is Lady Russell's companion as well as one of the Wicked Widow's.

A delightful tale of finding love, trust,acceptance and the power of love. You must check out Manda Collins'
a & e
When I really think about it. I didn't like this historical romance novel. The historical part of a novel part of that genre is what makes it so enticing. However, many authors fail at connecting the history and romance enough in a concrete mesh that is both interesting and entertaining to read.

What I'm saying is that this book falls into the category of really boring historical novels that take forever to read. I'm sorry it just wasn't my type. I couldn't relate to Georgina or Coniston at all.
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Rather than to point out outstanding elements from this novel, it is fairer to say that this story runs like well-oiled clockwork, every plot, character development in perfect harmony, executed flawlessly.

Full review to come...(eventually)
Esther Somorai
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from St. Martin's Press through GoodReads, first-reads giveaway. Thank you.

What a Beautiful Cover. A really enjoyable, well-written, exciting, fast read. With a diverse cast of characters plus the story as presented kept me reading and guessing to the very end and beyond.
Janga
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Collins, who promises her readers “romance spiced with mystery,” has upped the stakes and the tension of the mystery element in Why Earls Fall in Love, and she manages to do so without sacrificing the centrality of the romance. In Georgina and Con, Collins creates likeable protagonists whose choices preserve the integrity of their characters. Georgina grew up with her father away with his military duties much of the time, a pattern that was repeated with her husband. She is accustomed to making ...more
Haeja
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Manda Collins is back with Why Earls Fall in Love, the sequel to Why Dukes Say I Do, the first book in her Wicked Widows series. When I saw that Manda had a new book out, I immediately had to get it. I didn't realize until today out of her eight novels, I've already read five, and I'm pretty sure that number will still increase with her other future releases.

I enjoyed the first book so much and liked the romantic, albeit a bit predictable, pairings that I did not hesitate to read Why Earls Fall
Gerrie
Manda Collins is a polished author who writes well. The plot of this book, as well as the first book in this trilogy, was very well done. Collins definitely kept my interest in the mystery, and I look forward to its conclusion in the third book. I also liked the characters of both Con and Georgina, the hero and heroine. They were engaging and interesting, and their romance was believable. Further, this whole series shines a light on the plight of abused women. Women in regency England (as well a ...more
Stacey is Sassy
Love a good Historical...

This was a great installment in the series. I am a huge fan of Manda Collins style of writing. She comes across as intelligent and thorough in her research into the lives of people in previous times. In this series we are taught about women's rights in her household, especially when abuse is involved. Women were unable to fight back or even complain if there husbands were abusive and if they tried to leave, they were brought back to their owner...the husband.

This story r
Tracy Emro
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and it was a quick, well written read.

Con and Georgina were both good characters - but I felt like their "relationship" moved too fast. Georgie went from not liking Con and being uncomfortable around him to kissing and confiding in him within days. It didn't seem believable, considering her first marriage. And let's not forget that Con had been betrothed to Georgie's best friend. A romance between these two was improbable at worst and highly unlikely at best.

As far as the my
Charlene
For some reason, I thought that Perdita's story would come second and that Georgina's would be last, so I was surprised when I began this second Wicked Widows novel. I also should mention that wicked really is not a descriptor for these unfortunate ladies who had all been abused by their now-deceased husbands.

Again, Manda Collins has written a book that managed to hold my attention and that has me actively waiting to read the third and last story in the series, to be released later this year. Fo
Kimia Safavi
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Why Earls Fall in Love is a mystery historical romance, I couldn't guess who was the villain until the end of the book. The story was engaging with romance, mystery and threat. I like the way Mrs. Collin tell the story even I have not read the first in this series I could follow the story about three friends with their secrets. I am looking forward to read the next in this series and find out who is the villain. Thank you Mrs. Collins
Gerry
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Murder, Mayhem and the Boundaries of Social Class

Is murder a valid reason to cross the boundary lines of class?

“Don’t you see, Mama?” Lydia said in a bored voice. “He’s smitten with the little companion. If it weren’t so revoltingly vulgar I’d say it was sweet.”

Lydia, Ch. 15, pg. 234, para. 3

The Cast:

I really enjoyed the blend of duty and decorum, the lively wit and mind that made up Georgina. Her confidence in her femininity and abilities was refreshing in a story set in a time period when it
Sarah Andre
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this 2nd in a trilogy, featuring 3 friends who share a dark secret and are being blackmailed by someone. Chemistry and conflict between the Earl and Dowager's companion sizzled. As usual, Manda Collins reigns over all other historical writers (IMO) when it comes to alpha dialogue between male friends. Just a hoot! Highly suggested read!
Gwen Hernandez
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this installment of the Wicked Widows series. I keep thinking about the characters, wanting to pick up the book and then remembering that I've already finished it. WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE is a fabulous blend of intrigue, fun sexy times, and tender romance. Con and Georgina are perfect together. I'm anxiously awaiting book three.
Pirouette
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Manda Collins's regency romances. Like the previous trilogy, the Why stories have a mystery to resolve, a love story and some good friends.

Manda's writing is light but well-crafted. The whodunnit part keeps us reading, without taking itself too seriously, and the whole book is a delight to read.
Mainer207
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't think the Widows series is this author's best work. I found this book tedious and not interesting. The main characters were fairly likeable but the situations seemed forced or made little sense. I struggled to finish this.
Audrey
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful love story with a bit of mystery intertwined. A story of love overcoming status when the earl falls in love with the widow companion to his Aunt while trying to figure out who wants revenge on the widow. I could not put this down!!
Alisha
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read about Perdita
Vasilena
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I did not care much for the whole plot but the style is absolutely superb and I find it really well built up. Thumbs up!
Cary
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Book 2 and the saga continues - different widow with different suitor trying to protect her. I liked it and love when characters from previous books come back.
Jill James
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
An amazing read. Part romance, part mystery. Very gothic feel to it.
Maureen
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Cheesy!!
SidneyKay
Mar 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-regency
Linda
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After Georgina Mowbray’s husband is killed in the war, she takes a position as companion to Lady Russell, a wealthy eccentric living in Bath. Dominic, the Earl of Coniston, has come to Bath to check on his aunt’s new companion to ensure she is not taking advantage of the elderly woman. He has known Georgie through mutual friends and now sees her sincere devotion to his aunt. The more he is around her, the more enchanted he is and soon falls in love with her. She loves him but feels she is beneat ...more
Carole
Same plot in all four books and I think the same sex scene appeared in two of the books - just not engaging and very little charm. Some of the romantic pairings in the series were not believable, especially those with huge social class differences.

Not my Cup of Tea and I don't think this author is for me. Toasted series from my Ebook Library.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 12:25PM
Q & A with Manda ...: You Choose the Cover for WHY EARLS FALL IN LOVE! 7 10 Jun 12, 2013 12:54PM

• How the Duke Was Won (The Disgraceful Dukes, #1)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • A Momentary Marriage (Montclair-de Vere, #2)
  • The Duke Buys a Bride (The Rogue Files, #3)
  • Baron (The Knickerbocker Club, #2)
  • The Most Dangerous Duke in London (Decadent Dukes Society, #1)
  • The Wicked Duke (Wicked Trilogy, #3)
  • Magnate (The Knickerbocker Club, #1)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • A Devil of a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #2)
  • Mogul (The Knickerbocker Club, #3)
  • A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • Tall, Dark and Wicked (Wicked Trilogy, #2)
  • The Year of Living Scandalously (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #1)
  • Someone to Hold (Westcott, #2)
  • The Courtesan Duchess (Wicked Deceptions, #1)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
Manda Collins spent her teen years wishing she’d been born a couple of centuries earlier, preferably in the English countryside. Time travel being what it is, she resigned herself to life with electricity and indoor plumbing, and read lots of books. An affinity for books led to a graduate degree in English, followed by another in Librarianship. By day, she works as an academic librarian at a small ...more

Wicked Widows (4 books)
  • Why Dukes Say I Do (Wicked Widows, #1)
  • Why Lords Lose Their Hearts (Wicked Widows, #3)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Kiss