Start by marking “The Furies” as Want to Read:
The Furies

The Furies

For centuries, the Furies have lived among us. Long ago they were called witches and massacred by the thousands. But they're human just like us, except for a rare genetic mutation that they've hidden from the rest of the world for hundreds of years.

Published April 22nd 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books

Dan Schwent
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
When John Rogers meets a pretty girl in a bar, he has no idea what he's getting into, a clan war between two factions of mutant humans called Furies. Can John and Ariel escape the clan on their trail?

I got this from Netgalley.

First off, I see a lot of reviews that complain about the rest of the book not going very well with the prologue. Well, read the summary. The main story takes place in the present and the prologue takes place in 1645. Yeah, they're probably not going to have the same tone.

T
Janet
Feb 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Last night I was reading this book and halfway through a paragraph, at 47% of the way through the book, I quit. I am a champion of muscling through books I'm not into, I will typically say, well I like this one character, the world is interesting, I like the technology...whatever.

First off, I feel grossly misled by the netgalley page. This book is compared to Michael Crichton, as was praised for its scientific merit. As a biologist, using words like "squamous cells" and "genetic mutations in th
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
******Spoilers ahead******

I have never read a book where I loved the prologue, got all excited for what was to come, and ended up with a major fucktastrophy. But, I digress.

The Furies opens up with a massacre occurring in the past. A mother desperate to hide her child while at the same time hearing the agony of her husband being killed. It was a great beginning. Then the story started.

John is a 30-something unemployed ex-gangbanger who winds up in a bar in NY. Into the bar walks a 20-something
Marvin
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Furies first starts out like it may be supernatural but quickly corrects the reader's assumption and reveals itself to be science fiction. It reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's famous adage that says "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Yet to call it science fiction may be a stretch too. After all the author Mark Alpert makes it clear on the cover that this is primarily a thriller and that is how it should be read.

That's a good thing because it isn't a very
Michelle Hauck
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

John Parker meets a beautiful women and their one-night stand turns into a middle of a gunfight when strangers appear to kill her. After saving Ariel’s life, he soon finds there is much more to this woman than striking green eyes and long red hair.

Despite being in the science fiction/fantasy section, I found the Furies to be much more a thriller. All the hype of witches dissolved into scientific explanation which in
Cara Coleen
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
The description was intriguing, the first chapter was interesting (even if the author's use of "thy" and "thou" bugged me - it felt forced), but... the next chapter? I immediately and forever shut the book after their horribly awkward and creepy sexual encounter was interrupted by a gun shot.

This book felt like it was written by a 15 year old boy. The dialog was stilted. Being inside the mind of the main character, John, was tedious... and the fact that he tried to justify his interest in the s
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Based on its synopsis, The Furies sounded like the kind of sci-fi/paranormal match-up stories I typically enjoy. Unfortunately, getting to the last page was more a matter of grueling determination than enjoyment thanks to detestable characters and a poorly executed plot.

Opening Sentence: She was smart and sexy and beautiful, but all that didn’t matter.

The Review:

Books about witches usually fall into one of two categories. The “double, double
Crystal
Jan 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Note: The Furies was an Advanced Reader Copy I received from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I found the premise of this book to be very interesting which is the very reason why I requested it from NetGalley. The blurb explained that there are a set of people called Furies who, once upon a time, were called witches and were burned at the stake, etc. but instead of really having magical powers or anything there is actually just a genetic mutation that sets them apart from “regular” humans. Sou
Brittany
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
John an unemployed, ex-gang member, meets a beautiful woman in a bar. They spend the night talking, and connecting, leading up to what was suppose to be a night of lust. It ends much differently than expected. This novel is full of action, secret societies, genetic mutations, biker gangs, and betrayal. The Furies has such potential to be a great novel, but there were things that just didn't work for me in this book. The first and most important thing that would have helped me to connect with the ...more
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
This is an original book review from http://bookedandloaded.com I received this book via NetGalley and all opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.

The Furies: A Thriller by Mark Alpert is a stand alone thriller/sci-fi type of paranormal. I flipped pages. I consumed the words. This book made me think and discuss the contents, history, and story. What more can one ask for?

I am going to have a little confessional first. I kind of broke my own rule about reading reviews on this book befor
Liz Barnsley
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Publication Date: 22nd April by St Martin’s Press.

Thank you to the author/publisher for the review copy via netgalley.

For centuries, the Furies have lived among us. Long ago they were called witches and massacred by the thousands. But they’re human just like us, except for a rare genetic mutation that they’ve hidden from the rest of the world for hundreds of years.
Now, a chance encounter with a beautiful woman named Ariel has led John Rogers into the middle of a secret war among the Furies. Arie
Lolly K Dandeneau
Having been granted an arc through netgalley, I finished the novel even though I was scratching my head often. I had high hopes from the blurb of magical happenings and I expected the mystery of the Furies to be mind-blowing or at least interesting. But the reveal inspired more of an 'eh' for me. I did not like John Rogers and that is a bad thing unless the reason you dislike a particular character is because they stir conflict in you (think of villainous characters that you don't like but are f ...more
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
[See the full review at thoughts and afterthoughts.]

Rating: 3/5

Should this book be picked up? the tl;dr spoiler-less version:

- A "chase-thriller" with a variety of fast-paced action sequences involving guns and explosives, a ferryboat, and many bullet ants.
- Despite romance driving the protagonists actions and the synopsis sounding as if it's a paranormal romance... it's not.
- Speculative-fiction that considers a variant genome which has caused disparity and civil unrest between the genders of
Ericafoferica
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm slightly disappointed that this book has such a low score from my other fellow readers. I guess I'll be one of the few to say "I really enjoyed this book!" I must admit, I did read a few other reviews prior to actually reading the book, which is something I typically don't do. So right from the beginning I was a little hesitant based on what my fellow readers said. Do I think the story runs along the line of Stephen King or Michael Crichton? I certainly think not. However, I did enjoy the pl ...more
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
The mutated gene idea behind the Furies is cool, and this story certainly is entertaining. I had a hard time accepting John's motivation for sticking with the Furies. The way all of them, including Ariel, treat him throughout the story, it's hard to believe he would still be on their side. I would have expected John to side with Archibald and to team up with Gower and Archie to modernize the Fury family and improve the way the Fury men lived. His ending up in a sort of Eden with Ariel makes for ...more
Maggie Merillat
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The Furies was a pretty good and interesting book. It's about a man named John Roberts and a mysterious woman named Ariel. John at first just thinks that Ariel's a normal girl that you would meet at a bar but soon finds out that she has a secret past that no one knows about. She's a fury and her older brother is trying to kill her. They both end up falling in love with each other and trying to figure out a way to defeat Ariel's older brother. This book is filled with romance, violence, and fanta ...more
CJ
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2018
I don't mark many books DNF - in fact this may be only the second one ever, but I just can't read any more of this book. It just made me angry. Halfway through the book and there is still only ONE female character - and she has to rely on the maine (male) protagonist to transport her/keep her safe. Between that and several other very unplausible incidents I just had to put it down or I would have thrown it against the wall.
Alix Farley
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the book enough to finish it. I liked the idea of a family living through history; I just wish the author didn't describe every woman in the book by her breasts. Like I get it for the romantic lead but when you're also describing how the romantic leads mothers/aunts breasts are it kinda weirded me out.
Krissy Kellerby
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book just didn’t do it for me. Some of my favorite historical stories are about witches and their trials and magic. So to mix that with modern day issues such as gangs, meth conspiracies and Harley riding enemies....it just did not mix well.
MC Hall
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
When I read the synopsis it sounded intriguing. I was really hoping to like this book, but I didn't. There were too many, "Really??" moments for me. I couldn't get attached or get invested in the story because I got annoyed most of the time.
Library Geek
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A good thriller with a unique setting, not too gruesome.
Paula Brett
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. Interesting take on witch hunts and witches. Basic pedantic writing. Easily seen boring sex scene.
Angela Dietrich
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
original. Enjoyed the science aspect.
Chantel LaFrance
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF
novelteathoughts
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How on earth did this book get published? It should be burned.
Angela Dietrich
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creative and original. There are some scientific explanations that some may not like, but I felt it added to the story. I would recommend and would read this author, again.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Furies are a family who live on the very edges of society. After centuries of being hunted and massacred as witches, they have pulled away and try to live peaceably. When John first meets Ariel, he is over come by her beauty. What he doesn't know is this meeting will put him right into the middle of the Fury civil war. He finds himself almost in a world outside of time, where people use an older version of English and even dress in fashions made popular during the 1600's. Will his love of Ar ...more
Blood Rose Books
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mark Alpert takes the readers to a secret culture that has hidden within the USA since the Europeans traveled to North America and it has been their seclusion that has ensured their survival.

For centuries and in different regions throughout the world the Furies have lived amoung us, they worked with the people, were their wives and created lives. But during the age of century where everything suspicious was a verdict for death, especially for women, they settled into the New World America where
Punk Farie
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My Rating – 3 Stars
I received this book for free from Netgalley on behalf of Thomas Dunne Book in exchange for a fair review.

John Rogers is down on his luck. He’s out of a job, his wife left him years ago, and he is still reeling from the loss of his young daughter.

His luck seems to change though, when a pretty red head, Ariel, starts talking to him in a bar.

They hit it off instantly and soon they are headed to Ariel’s hotel room. Unfortunately, their hookup is interrupted by gunfire. Bikers s
Kelsey Karin
And the Story Begins Nov 2017 box
  • Fractured Families (Pearl of Wisdom Saga, #2)
  • The Forever Watch
  • Girl of Myth and Legend (The Chosen Saga #1)
  • The Foundry's Edge (The Books of Ore, #1)
  • Hooked: When Addiction Hits Home
  • The Drowned Forest
  • Chimera (Weaver #1)
  • The Garden of Darkness
  • Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere (Time Trips)
  • Missing You
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5)
  • Blood Secret
  • Copied
  • When the Sky Fell Apart
  • Since Forever Ago
  • The Temptations of Anna Jacobs (Dangerous Liaisons, #2)
  • The Raven's Warrior
  • A Guide to Berlin
Mark Alpert, author of Final Theory, The Omega Theory, Extinction, The Furies, and The Six, is a contributing editor at Scientific American. In his long journalism career he has specialized in explaining scientific ideas to readers, simplifying esoteric concepts such as extra dimensions and parallel universes. And now, in his novels, Alpert weaves cutting-edge science into high-energy thrillers th ...more