Start by marking “Fatal Jealousy: The True Story of a Doomed Romance, a Singular Obsession, and a Quadruple Murder” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
OUT OF CONTROL

June 26, 2010. A Pennsylvania State Trooper, heading home from work, witnesses a car speeding and crashing into trees. Stopping to help, he finds that the driver, Michael Ballard, is alive—and drenched in blood. When asked what happened, the man answers: "I just killed everybody."

OUT OF HIS MIND

Not far from the accident, police make a gruesome discovery in th
Published January 28th 2014 by St. Martin's True Crime

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Jealousy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Jealousy

BAM The Bibliomaniac
True Crime Commemoration # 16
Setting: 2010 Northampton PA
RTC
The Loopy Librarian
At first, I was hooked. The tension was palatable. The authors managed to keep the reader in suspense despite the murderer being obvious from the start. They also conveyed the full horror of the crime without being overly grotesque. But, I wasn’t far into the book when the writers started to lose me. First it was obvious grammatical mistakes that were missed in the editorial process. For example: “Whether Ballard was actually a member the KKK was not immediately clear (p. 48). The “of” is obviou ...more
Suzie Flohr
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved the way this book was written. I hope you both write more. It made you feel like you knew the people .I highly recommend .
Stella Gonzales
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult keeping my interest

I felt story not written with much interest of author. Several time while reading wanted to close and, put away. Spent too much written about the overcrowding of the American prisons.
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
An intriguing read about the life and crimes of Michael Ballard, a mass murderer, who killed four people at once and had one further convicted murder he had served time for, committed in his late teens. The authors give emotional character portraits of the victims through the words of family members which is a compelling technique and appreciated in a true crime novel. There is nothing sensationalistic in this portrayal of the case even though at times it does give a fair accounting of the natur ...more
Shari
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a true crime story, this book was not very suspenseful. However, I found the discussions around the incarceration trends in the US, the handling of minor drug and other non-violent crimes, and the strain that it puts on the system to protect us from truly violent individuals (like Michael Ballard) to be very interesting. The true crime in this story was that Michael Ballard was ever released from prison after his first murder conviction.
Becky
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-life-crime
Another blame it on my childhood, it's everyone else's fault, abandonment by mother and inability to control emotions and so on ad nauseam! Book is good, well written with lots of emphasis on the problem of early parole and its' detriment to society, in this case four people were murdered after Ballard was granted early parole. He was paroled even though he had already murdered at least one person. I think one of the relatives of the victims said it best "sick bastard."
Dayle
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is no doubt about who committed these murders but the authors have done their research and this book is full of information about the victims, the killer and a host of others whose lives were impacted by this event. Also included are some interesting statistics on recidivism and parole, as well as brain injury as it relates to loss of control and anger issues.
Judith Ryan
Could have been a good read.

The story it's self was interesting but I found myself skipping pages because of all the background information. The book would have been better without it.
Theresa
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True murder

I love true crime books and this is a good one. This man should definitely be executed but in Pa. it will probably never happen.
Janice
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another unbelievable true crime story about who a woman wrongly chooses as her lover, especially since she's a mom of two young children. A well-written account by these two authors...
Kate
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, truecrime
The writing is terrible.
Cassandra
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
This was an ok True Crime story. I zoned out a lot during the story as it wandered around a lot and seemed a bit scattered.
Cindy Lester
Feb 12, 2015
gail morrison
Oct 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“control her. Ohh you tried but in the end she obviously wasn’t planning to” 1 likes