Start by marking “Brotherhood of Fear (Willi Kraus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brotherhood of Fear (Willi Kraus, #3)

Brotherhood of Fear (Willi Kraus #3)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Paris, 1933. A refugee with no papers, no legal status, and few resources, Willi Kraus  lives in fear of deportation back to Nazi Germany. His reputation as a top sleuth however precedes him, and he’s soon enlisted to work as a private eye—if under shady circumstances.

Despite his apparent good fortune he finds himself a stranger in a very strange land. France is gripped b
Published February 18th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brotherhood of Fear

Andrea
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This book did not seem as focused as the two earlier ones in the series. The setting in Paris and the nature of the crimes were not as interesting as the Berlin books and the author did not seem as interested in the subject. The plot was a little strained. Still - Grossman is a good writer and the book is worth reading.
Hoping the next book will return to form.
Mad Leon
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting but average read, I especially liked the setting in Paris. I missed the first two books so maybe I would have felt more connected if I had backtracked first.
Richard
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Set in pre-WWII Paris, Detective Willi Kraus has had to flee his beloved Berlin, leaving everything behind. In Paris, he re-joins his late wife's parents and sister, and his own two sons, to try to make a new life. But without the needed documentation or legal status, how can he find the work needed to support himself, and to have his boys live with him again? Without these papers, Willi lives in constant fear of deportation back to Nazi Germany.

His reputation is known even in Paris, and soon h
Judie
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
What I liked about the Brotherhood of Fear was the setting in France, mainly Paris and the many twists and turns that took place throughout the book. The ending is logical and not contrived and the story kept me interested throughout. Mr. Grossman obviously did a lot of research concerning France in the 1930's.

What I didn't like and really take exception to is the French used - it isn't French - it's just French words thrown together that have no meaning. Using a foreign language doesn't mean th
Kay
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm not one to pounce on typos and errors, but the publisher should be ashamed of himself. There were so many mistakes that I had to force myself to finish.

They run the gamut from spelling errors ("Now he was faced with something almost as dreadul" on p. 95) to sentences that make no sense ("A framed license was on one wall, until a battered filing cabinet and old wooden desk, a small pile of papers and a framed photo of his wife on it, her features surprisingly fine.")
Then there's the "car with
CartoonistAndre
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
The first two books were engrossing and well paced throughout. However, although this novel started out with a suspenseful premise it hit a lull midway that continued for too long and turned into more of a daytime drama than the mystery and suspense I'd enjoyed in the previous stories. It seemed more like the Ya-ya sisterhood than the Brotherhood of Fear. The ending accelerated somewhat but left me unsatisfied. I will give his fourth novel a read but I'm not as enthused as I was after reading Th ...more
Gram
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I very much enjoyed the 1st two Willi Kraus novels and was looking forward to this one, but somehow it didn't hold my attention and I found myself skipping pages. The historical background is as good as ever and Paul Grossman has obviously done his research of Paris in the 1930's well. But the story was convoluted and too many characters seem to appear briefly and vanish (or die!) soon afterwards. Perhaps because the main story involved high finance, the action didn't seem as compelling.
G Hodges
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It is not the best way to start a series, but I came into this one with this, the third book. It is a pretty good noir, if occasionally overwrought.
Tim Martin
excellent-just as good as the first two books-one of my favorite authors
Joshua France
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: detective
This just didn't have the same feeling as the others. The story telling was jumpy which was hard to follow at times because the reader is never sure if the conversation is over or not.
Jackie R
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this interesting but it lacked a bibliography or acknowledgement so I could decide if I wanted to read any of his historical sources and determine how accurate his facts were.
Anna Rathkopf
Matthew Schultz
Jun 01, 2016
May 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Grossman is the critically acclaimed author of two novels, with a third on the way. The Sleepwalkers, was published in 2010. His second, Children of Wrath released in February, 2012. He is also a long-time teacher of writing and literature at the City University of New York. His works have been translated into German, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew and Portuguese.
More about Paul Grossman...

Willi Kraus (3 books)
  • The Sleepwalkers (Willi Kraus, #1)
  • Children of Wrath (Willi Kraus, #2)