Start by marking “Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)” as Want to Read:
Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)

Aphrodite: Goddess of Love

(Olympians #6)

Behold the wondrous beauty of Aphrodite, goddess of love and ombodiement of the intangible Eros. A creature born of pure force and destined for power and fame, so lovely that the Earth and all its inhabitants bend to please her.

Pitted against Athena, warrior goddess, and Hera, goddess of the heavens, the lovely, cunning Aphrodite must find a way to outwit her opponents in
Published December 31st 2013 by First Second

First Second Books
Jan 07, 2014 marked it as first-second-publications
I'm not going to lie: when I first heard we were doing a book about Aphrodite, I was like, 'this book is going to be all filled with love and stuff, isn't it?'

Well.

Aphrodite being the goddess of love, there is some love in this book. But more than love, this book is really about power: about a goddess who's a woman figuring out her relationship to a pantheon of gods and what she can do with that situation if she uses love (for good or for ill). It's a really interesting discussion of familial an
Calista
I love this series. George is doing a fantastic rendering of these myths and there is usually at least a piece of the story I did not know or heard about. Comics are a great setting for these stories.

I feel the art is kinetic and jumps off the page. I love that each character is so carefully rendered in each one and has their on unique personality.

This book tells the tale of the golden apple which lead to the trojan war. It tells of Aphrodite's birth and beginning. And it also tells the tale of
Jordan
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
For a book about Aphrodite, this turned out remarkably kid-friendly and yet didn't feel overly censored or changed. Although I definitely was amused at the tries to artfully get around exactly what Kronos cut off of Ouranos that created Aphrodite. "The seat of Eros' power". (view spoiler) This round, I enjoyed the inclusion of the Pygmalion myth because I've always particularly liked that myth. At Thetis' wedding, the whole part with Eris was ju ...more
Kara
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Note: I received a free copy of this from the Goodreads FirstReads Giveaway.

O’Connor hits it out of the park again in his latest in his Olympians series.

Here, he examines the myth of Aphrodite – and it isn’t at all what you’d expect. This isn’t a story about love – it’s a story about power, and more than that, it’s about powerful beings making power plays.

Zeus-the-womanizer sizes up Aphrodite as she steps out of the ocean and is smart enough to realize her ability to make people fall in love
Nicola Mansfield
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Greek mythology but have to say that when knowing the next book was actually about the Goddess of "Love" I wasn't as excited as with the previous books in this series. However, O'Connor went in a great direction with his retelling of Aphrodite's story. He starts back at the beginning with Kaos and Gaea and re-tells the whole story of creation and the Olympians as was done in the first book "Zeus", though this time very quickly and from the point of view of Eros from which Athena is formed ...more
David
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25

I have been a fan of mythology ever since I read the Iliad as a child. This graphic novel was kindly given to me for my classroom library by a friend. Aphrodite may not have been my first choice in the Greek Pantheon to read about, but it was really enjoyable. It gave a lot of great info, the art was solid and it tied together numerous story lines. I am definitely planning on reading the others in the series.
Bella
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was so good I cant wait to read the next one with my partner. I loved this graphic novel and I don't really like graphic novels so this was a very nice surprise plus the artwork was awesome and really helped tell the story.
Ken Yuen
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing. The origin of Aphrodite was pretty good, since I wasn't too familiar with it before. Always loved the statue maker's story. In his notes, O'Connor admits the golden apple story makes the goddesses look bad, but that's how it goes.
Tif
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
The interesting thing about this series is that even when it's not my favorite adaptation or interpretation of that particular myth, I'll read the author's note at the end of the book and gain a wholly new appreciation for the story and effort that went into researching the character. Such was the case with this volume- it wasn't my favorite in the series and I felt like it spent way too much time with other gods and myths than Aphrodite herself. If I recall correctly, I had a similar problem wi ...more
Meryem Matar
The comic book Aphrodite, goddess of love was written by George O’Connor. The story opens with Gaea (the Earth) and Eros (love) living together and creating the world. It also introduces the olympian gods, along with Zeus, their king. One day, Eros gave the form of a body, and a beautiful maiden arose from the sea, named Aphrodite. She was headed to Cyprus, the nearest island she could find. The goddess of love met the three Charities, who were loyal to her. The Olympians caught sight of Aphrodi ...more
Barbara
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free as a Goodreads First Read.

I've always believed that mythological figures like Aphrodite, Apollo, Jason, Zeus, Athena, Odysseus, & Hercules are the superheroes of Ancient times. They are not perfect creatures. They could be just as jealous, manipulative & vain as they were compassionate, generous, & loving. Perhaps this is why mythology translates so well to the graphic novel medium. It is an excellent way to introduce this type of lore to young readers.
Barbara
As he has done with all the other earlier titles in his Olympian series, George O'Connor tackles the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite. Not only does he portray her beauty--she's stunning in every way--but also her imperfections and carelessness. By explaining her origins, he allows readers to make sense of the complicated relationships among the gods and goddesses. His notes explain how he decided to tackle the matter of three powerful women fighting for a golden apple. For him, the question was ...more
Greyson Richter | Use Your Words
This was interesting but I have one thing that bothered me and is more a problem with the mythology itself and not this version of it but you can not tell me that when Aphrodite, the most beautiful woman to ever exist and all the goddesses just felt jealous??? You're telling me none of them were dumb-struck like all the gods were??? Not a single one??? I'm calling BS! This is sapphic erasure, fight me.

I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as
Tracey
No matter what retelling of Aphrodite I come across, I still don't like her at all. She's such a little bitch. She has her moments of decency but for the most part, she's an egotistical maniac. I honestly think she's even worse then Zeus. I still liked the story and art and all that, but I couldn't help but wish that some other god/goddess had taken the spotlight for this volume of the series. Literally anyone else who have been more tolerable than Aphrodite.
Ame
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like how Aphrodite's arrival indicates a threat to Zeus's power. In fact, he acknowledges in this text that many women are more powerful than he is, especially Aphie. I also dig O'Connor's notes about the out-of-character and sexist tale of Paris's judgment regarding the golden apple. Like Hera and Athena would truly care about such things. George takes it a step further to illustrate that Aphrodite sees it more as a power struggle than anything else.
Nickcole
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5

As always I'm in love with this series. The stories are so fun to read about and I like that you get a little info about them in the end. The art again was incredible and Aphrodite story was a great read. I really liked his version on how she was born and what she did with her godly powers. I can't wait to get my hands on Apollo's book.
Kim
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although this is not my favorite of the series, it is an interesting and viable addition to a fabulous series. I love the look of Aphrodite and the stories O'Connor picked are decent. I wish he'd included Eros and Psyche because it's my favorite, but there is only so much that one can add to a book. I will definitely buy this one.

I received this as an ARC from NetGalley. Thanks!
Mary Lee
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just in time for Valentines Day--the quintessential story of love and jealousy.
Misty
I reviewed these books basically as a whole on the boxed set.
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
interesting about how she came to be.
Rachel
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful graphic novel with lots of information I hadn't known previously about our lovely Aphrodite
Kilee
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love, as the title alludes too. The book is told in graphic novel format with kinetic art that flows through the entire book. Aphrodite is sent to earth to create and show love to all. She although has a side to her that she does show all that often. She is short, temperamental and extremely ill tempered. Aphrodite not only finds herself in sticky situations, she normally is the instigator.

I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book I have eve
Alexis
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was by far my favorite out of all of them. It just really made me really think about the characters:)
Hannah
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She was a very adventurous girl.
Evan
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
weird.... VERY WEIRD!
Porter
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
a pretty cool story all together but it just wasn't that interesting the whole thing was just Aphrodite doing random things.
but whatever I love Greek mythology so it wasn't THAT bad
Calista
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was ok. I've never really liked Aphrodite; she's just so annoying! She's unbelievably vain and completely obnoxious and just gets on my nerves. Although the entire book is about her, she is by far my least favorite character- all of the conflicts in the book are caused entirely by her! It seems to me that her only goal is to make life miserable for some people and good for others that she likes. That's fine to read about for a bit but a whole book about it? It just gets annoying!! Anyway, a ...more
Josie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite Olympian book so far. I loved the use of words and the introduction. I would recommend this books to people who like greek mythology.
Marsha
This graphic novel begins much the same way the first one about Zeus did: the void of white with a brown circle at the center. And once again, we have the origin of Gaea and Ouranos and all that follows. However, now there are three ladies starting this story who tell of something else that was in the world, spurring these two elements to join, mingle and ultimately turn on each other. This mystic force had no form, name or real focus. But it made itself felt in passion, jealousy, love, lust and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fable Comics
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)
  • Fear the Amoeba (Squish, #6)
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Sparks! (Sparks! #1)
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek Myths
  • The Fall of the House of West
  • Ichiro
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in

Olympians (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)
  • Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)