Start by marking “Born This Way” as Want to Read:
Born This Way

Born This Way

Dayton Whitmore injures his arm playing basketball with his lion-shifter friends, and his best friend asks Dayton to check on her estranged brother Hart while he’s in Atlanta visiting a specialist. Though Dayton and Hart were never close, he grudgingly agrees.

Banishment from his pride meant Hart Sherman could never see his family again. His liger heritage—a tiger mother an
Published June 19th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published June 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Born This Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born This Way

Nic
This story was a pleasant way to spend an hour or two. Relatively short, there wasn't a lot of time to get fully immersed in the world of feline shifters.

Hart is a liger (part lion, part tiger) and is huge. His size was a threat to his alpha so he was banished from the pride. He has always known that Dayton was his mate and when Dayton comes to visit, he finally decides the time has come to make him his. Dayton is human but is best friends with Hart's sister and part of the pride.

I liked Hart's
Kazza
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, paranormal

The book's official blurb says a lot about the book. Hart Sherman is a liger - yep, a tiger and lion parent mix. He's 6'7" and an overall big man/shifter. His father kicked him out when he was eighteen and he has carved out a career as an entertainment attorney with high profile clients on his books. Hart drives a nice car owns a nice apartment in Atlanta, but his long standing need to be with his mate, Dayton Whitmore, is now pushing him to reconnect with him.

Dayton is a human history teacher i
Mona
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
**3.5 Liger Stars**

Hart, a shifter, finally seeks out to claim his mate. And fix some of the wrongs currently happening in his pride. A surprisingly funny and charming read. Really enjoyed this one!!

description
Lauren
I loved this! It was such an entertaining read and I really enjoyed it. I'd only planned to read for twenty minutes or so before bed, but I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting and not going to sleep until almost 1am! It was sweet, funny and exactly what I was looking for. It's a total comfort read that I can see myself re-reading in the future when I'm looking for something quick and easy to make me smile. I loved the dialogue and interactions between the two MCs and Dayton was so aw ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really enjoyed this story. It has a sweet and slow pace when it comes to the romance between Dayton and Hart. It was a lot of fun to read with some moments that had me chuckling.

I loved Dayton. He might be a puny human but he's a stubborn man that won't be bullied or pushed into anything he doesn't want to be. He's blissfully naive when it comes to being Hart's mate and shocked when he finally finds out. He was just so adorable. His actions were either funny or made me want to go awwww. Hart
Arthur
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it

Hart--a hybrid of lion father and tiger mother--was kicked out of the Lion Pride by his alpha father when he reached 18. Alone, he made himself a high power attorney in music industry. Still, he would never forget about Dayton, his sister's best friend, because Hart knew that the human was his mate. When Dayton stopped by his apartment in Atlanta, he almost couldn't control himself. Dayton, too, was attracted to the big liger (lion/tiger). But he was burnt out from previous relationship
Trisha Harrington
This was a sweet shifter story. I liked the idea of the story, especially the lion element. I thought the length was fairly good considering the direction it took, but I just didn't fall head over heals in love with this one, though I really, really liked it.

Hart and Dayton were sweet together, and the issues/trouble with the MC's wasn't over the top or too much. Had there been much more I would have been annoyed, but that was not the case. So for fans of a shifter story with a twist, try this o
Lily
Well, i liked the beginning but it went downhill from when they get in the shower together.

Somethings were totally weird -

1.Dayton thinks Hart hates him. Right. Then he allows Hart to grope him. He does protest. pathetically. Then leaves in a huff.

2.They went out for a lunch date and met Hart's Sis and her jerk Boyfriend which i felt was totally unnecessary. I guess the author wanted us to get to know who Riley(am not sure if thats his name) was before well you know (view spoiler)
Phaney
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Why does this have such a low overall rating?
The characters come to life from the first page; there’s emotion; both guys are likeable; their conflict makes sense to me and is not something to be resolved without effort.

I particularly enjoy that although this is a shifter story with apparently fated mates, people are not entirely slaves to that connection. I do get a sense of choice at least to an extent.

The only thing I did not like was (view spoiler)
Teetee
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: para-mm-shifters
I’ve heard a lot of good about this author and I’ve been wanting to try some of her work so this was my first introduction to her. It was a rather pedestrian story in the shifter genre, nothing all that great. I enjoyed it ok, and I could see there were places where this story could have been stronger, but for the most part it was rather bland. I like cat shifter stories, but for some reason reading the word Liger over and over irritated me, guess it make me think of Napoleon Dynamite or somethi ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*

Nice and easy story about Hart, a liger ( that's what happens when a lion and a tiger shifter mate) and his mate Dayton.

It was different from other shifter stories in that Hart was able to actually leave his mate and move away, having no contact with him or seeking him out, he was also able to let him walk away when Dayton refused just to fall into bed with him.
The main 'conflict' ( and there really wasn't much of it) was of Dayton's reluctance to just mate with Hart, he grew up with the Pr
Lilia Ford
Cute shifter romance, which mostly sticks to the formula but with fun touches such as the big tough alpha "Liger" who finds his mate in a chatty-Cathy history teacher, with a taste for colorful Moroccan decor. Add some boy-band members trying to pass their history tests and a gossipy, match-making sister, and you have all the elements for an enjoyable, low-stress weekend read.
Lucy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5
One area that I thought the blurb was misleading was that Hart needed to come to terms with his birth. I thought he was being incredibly respectful to the Pride and keeping a positive outlook for himself. He is the product of a lion/tiger mating and was outcast by his mother immediately and banished from the pride at age 18 because he was a threat at his size (with a college set up, however). Hart took that foundation and has made a very successful life for himself as an entertainment lawyer
multitaskingmomma
Unfortunately, the song Born This Way by Lady Gaga kept creeping into my mind when reading this. Did it improve on the story? Well, sorta.

LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Shifter romances normally aren’t my thing. The whole concept of insta-love because of some supernatural mating bond will turn me off a book completely. I’m happy to say that Poppy Dennison didn’t go down that route. While the concept of ‘mates’ still exists in this book, the character of Dayton doesn’t instantly fall for Hart. Sure, he finds him attractive—and who wouldn’t?—but Hart has to work for the relationship. For me, this added more credibility to the pairing, and I was more invest
Charneen
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gay-books, fantasy
It had all the makings of a epic book, the right base line everything, and then it just fell flat, it was way too short, that been one of the main problems.

there was not enough of a story line to understand the characters motives for what they did, it was just an all round disappointment.
Marion
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!
Vanyel Kane
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
The only people I think who would enjoy this book are people that have never read a Shapeshifter story before. Nothing is fleshed out, everyone is a caricature and and as for emotions there's a lot of showing and not a lot of doing. No emotions shared except for past events.

Here is the book in a nutshell with minor spoilers.

Hart: I am Alpha. You are mate
Dayton: no I'm not but I will get into a shower with you
Hart:Yes you are!
D: oh really, okay then
But I need time because of bad relationship allu
K
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: shifters
Just under 3.5 stars

This shifter story is quite straight forward. Hart is a liger, the result of a one night affair between his lion father and tiger mother. Being a half breed is not acceptable and his mother rejected him, his father, the alpha of the pride, took him in and raised him, until he reached the age of 18 when he was banished from the pack. Dayton is a human, and friend of the pride of lions, two years younger than Hart and best friend to his sister Tawny. Tawny knows that Hart and D
Candice
Read on 10-4-13

I adored Dayton! I thought that his not wanting to jump into bed with Hart right away was awesome. Too many times the Alpha gets his way, too soon. I liked that Dayton fought back.

As far as Hart, well, at first he was very ummm...Tarzan-ish. I wanted to yell, FORM A COMPLETE SENTENCE THAT MAKES SENSE! Then he kind of grew on me, a little. Still not my favorite and I would have liked to have seen him in his liger form in front of Dayton more, in a calm manner. I am a fan of the an
Gabriella
May 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 stars

I think this could have been a lot better, if it were longer and more fleshed out. The story isn't bad, but there are just some things that were weird. Like Dayton stepping into the shower with Hart, even though he hasn't seen him for some years. The problem with Hart's exile and with his pride and family. I wanted more background, more depth.

What I liked though, was that Hart had to fight to get his mate. It wasn't just the normal mate-mine-HEA-story.

In the end it's an okay read, but so
Christy
This was the first book by Poppy Dennison that I've read and I had mixed reactions. The plot was a good one and really could have made a great story. However, I think the fact that this was a novella really hampered that from happening. The author worked very hard to tie all the ends up into a bow, but because this was so short the story felt rushed and not fleshed out the way it could have been.
This doesn't mean I won't read anymore by this author, however, as I think there was definite undevel
Beck
This was one of the best shifter books I've read in a while ... I loved Dayton's snark ... to be honest, 4 stars is probably too high a rating for this book because it needed to be fleshed out more to really earn those stars BUT I have been reading such cruddy shifter books lately that my relief led to over-exuberance ... this is light, fluffy & fun ... insta-love is neatly side-stepped too (yay) ... recommended if you're in the mood for snark with heart.
Julesmarie
Pretty standard shifter/mates story. Enjoyable but nothing really new or memorable.

Some Favorite Quotes:
"You're mine."
"Um, no. Actually I'm not. I'm mine. What's with you guys and the whole ownership gig?"

His half-asleep mind hadn't figured out he couldn't speak. Instead, he tried a comforting purr.
Diane Dannenfeldt
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Hart and Dayton were sweet together. Several things that keep me from rating this one higher. The whole 10 year separation. Hart couldn't have provided for his mate sooner than that? There was a lack of world building. The whole Rick issue just came out of left field & made no sense. Hart taking over the pride & no page time with him cleaning things up & what was actually wrong with the pride? I also would have liked a little more detail of Dayton's past boyfriend and what ...more
~nikki the recovering book addict
I liked Dayton’s quirky character but the writing of the storyline made the character very fickle. One minute he’s all over Hart, the next he’s saying no. And the next time they’re together, he’s suddenly in his arms again. Then something happens and he’s all...stay-away-from-me aloof and then when Hart shows up, he’s back in his arms. Again. While I can understand a person’s conflicting emotions, the writing didn’t portray that very well. So for me, it felt disjointed like maybe the author coul ...more
Shelley Chastagner
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I enjoyed this shifter romance. Dayton had a sense of himself, he's not going to let others dictate his life. He calls his bestie on her manipulation and tells Hart that their relationship is going to start on his terms not Harts. Hart has been pushed aside by both parents and it's made him a bit unsure of himself when it comes to his mate. I like that these two find the right balance and work through some tough things together.
Adult read
Theresa
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Poor writing. Not much direct communication between MCs - the half sister is the intermediary. No relationship development - childhood flashbacks. No chemistry nor steam. Story discrepancies and plot holes. Unanswered time jumps. Don't recommend.
Kathy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this one from InstaFreebie and I'm oh so glad I did! I liked it. Some humor, romance, suspense and action. It was short, but still a complete story, though I wish there'd been more. Definitely worth the read!
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice little story of the Alpha's son being driven out of his pride then deciding it was time to come back for his mate.
There is a lot of back story that is missing but not enough to be a problem if you concentrate on Hart and Dayton.
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Born This Way by Poppy Dennison 1 19 Jun 19, 2013 05:14PM

• Chuffed (Finnshifters, #1)
  • Naked Tails
  • Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie #1)
  • Riding the Board
  • Strength of the Wolf (The Tameness of the Wolf, #2)
  • Deadly Secrets (Kings of Eternity #1)
  • A Purrfect Match
  • Just Like Cats and Dogs
  • Midnight in Berlin
  • Lucius' Bite (Family of Misfits, #1)
  • Mating Balance
  • Forging the Future (Change of Heart, #5)
  • Unwanted Appeal (Hidden Wolves, #2.5)
  • The Magic Broom
  • An Impossible Mate (Strength of the Pack #1)
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • The Badass Of His Dreams
  • Shattered Secrets (In the Shadow of the Wolf #1)
Add two parts sass and one part sweet and you have Poppy Dennison to T—sweet tea that is. Raised by a gaggle of Southern women who love reading and have backbones of steel, Poppy was brought up to see the best in people but always speak her mind. Mix it all together, like Grandma’s famous cobbler, and you get a sassy, Southern lady with a quick wit and loads of charm, who will soften any blow with ...more