Start by marking “Derby Shorts: The Best New Fiction from the Roller Derby Track” as Want to Read:
Derby Shorts: The Best New Fiction from the Roller Derby Track

Derby Shorts: The Best New Fiction from the Roller Derby Track

“Short stories as cool, tough and fast as the sport…” (Bidisha)

Presented by For Books’ Sake in collaboration with the London Rollergirls, Derby Shorts is a bold and brilliant anthology of the best new fiction from the roller derby track.

The ground-breaking collection is the first of its kind, and within its pages, you’ll find short stories of inter-team love, lust, rivalry
Published May 15th 2013 by For Books Sake

To ask other readers questions about Derby Shorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Derby Shorts

Start your review of Derby Shorts: The Best New Fiction from the Roller Derby Track
Helen
This is a little book full of short stories set in the world of Roller Derby. It's produced in collaboration with London Roller Girls and the publisher, For Books Sake, is a company that champions women writers.

I expected these stories to be about Roller Derby but mostly they're not, really. They use Roller Derby as a setting but a lot of them are more about people and relationships.

There's a mix of styles, with a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type story my favourite, one that's a Sherlock Holmes inf
Becca
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A character in Pam Berg's story 'Call It Off' describes roller derby 'a women's movement on wheels', which I thought was a brilliant summing-up. My previous knowledge of roller derby comes only from Drew Barrymore's film Whip It, but this collection of short stories - a collaboration between feminist book site For Books's Sake and the London Rollergirls - showed me that it's about more than sport - it covers friendship, rivalries, love, bravery, amazing pun-based names (I Scream Sundae is possib ...more
Lisa Bentley
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
As a child, every Saturday my mum took me and my big sister to a sports centre that hosted a roller disco. It lasted about an hour and a half and played 80s tracks that were in heavy rotation – if memory serves, my favourite one to skate to was Cocoon by Timerider most famous for being the theme tune to Hit Man and Her. Skating reminds me of freedom, of the feeling that I could fly and since then I have wanted to be a member of a Roller Derby team. Alas, I bruise like a peach so I don’t think it ...more
Kate Garrett
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When a reader picks up Derby Shorts, they’re immediately taken into the pack for a fast-paced skate through fourteen diverse stories. There’s a genre or form for every taste – YA, noir, romance, horror, and a flash fiction or two – and each one gives a glimpse of unique derby lives.

Before reading this book, my experience of roller derby could be plotted at less than one on a one-to-ten scale. A few basic facts had made it onto my radar via some derby-loving friends, but nothing that meant I real
Amy Jones
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Did not like. Some of the stories, particularly at the beginning, were very good, but the further into it I got the more I disliked it.
Sarah-Beth
Apr 09, 2014
Mckayla
Jun 21, 2014

• In at the Deep End
  • The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
  • Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women
  • Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
  • Lie With Me
  • No Is Not Enough: Resisting Trump’s Shock Politics and Winning the World We Need
  • Rife: Twenty-One Stories from Britain's Youth
  • AGILE: Agile Project Management, Kanban, Scrum, Kaizen (DSDM Atern, Agile Project Scope, Agile Software, Full Value Chain, Forecasting with Kanban, Scrum Roles, Scrum Artifacts, Sprint Cycle)
Jane Bradley is the author of two acclaimed story collections and a novella, Power Lines, which was named a New York Times Notable Book. Originally from Chattanooga, Tennessee, she now teaches at the University of Toledo in Ohio. This is her first full-length novel.