Start by marking “Blood Ties” as Want to Read:
Blood Ties

Blood Ties

College senior Grace is half witch, half mortal, and one of the most powerful supernatural beings in existence. Problem is she doesn’t know any of this yet.

But she’s about to find out—and fast. Her powers are awakening, and Grace is in danger as her transformation reignites an ages-old war between her clan and an evil rival witch faction that will stop at nothing to see Gr
Published May 12th 2013 by Self (first published May 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Ties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Ties

Heather Terry
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review. I've been on a new adult kick lately and have neglected the paranormal world of witches, vampires and werewolves I lived in for so many years. Needless to say, I thought it was time to return with Blood Ties.

This story mainly revolves around Grace Valois, a half human, half witch hybrid. Although Grace is very powerful, she has no idea she comes from a long line of witches. At the beginning, she's just plain Grace; a senior at
Purpinkrose
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I was so honoured to receive this book from Gina for an honest review.

This is not my usual kind of read, but I'm so glad I read it.

Grace is at collage with her best friend Julie, who shes known forever. Grace enters in to therapy when she starts experiencing chest pains, hyperventilation and a rapid heartbeat. She thinks her body is preparing itself for some kind of jeopardy. Grace thinks this is just a part of her nervous personality until her hallucinations begin, when she thinks things star
Mary Mooney
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review, so here it is: I really enjoyed this story. It is well written and the storyline will keep you interested. Grace is a college student about ready to graduate and believes she is loosing her mind. Instead she is awakening s the most powerful witch to save witches and humans alike. Gina Whitney has done a great job on this one, here first book. If you like paranormal, witches and a twist included, then read this one, you will like it!
Tara Dawn (Colourful WordWench)
*I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

I had this wonderfully written review and goodreads decided to shut down and erase everything so here goes the short version...sorry in advance Gina :)

I really liked this book. I know, I know. You read one witch/shifter book you've read them all. NOT in the case of Blood Ties. Gina Whitney puts a whole new meaning to what a witch and shifters are and how they came to be. Through her beautifully chosen descriptive words she ta
Fiona Wilson
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads

Grace Valois made a strange, and traumatic, entrance to the world. Her mother makes the ultimate sacrifice to keep her safe, and gives her over to the safety of her father.
Years later Grace is at college, and is just like every other student, with her best friend Julie by her side, friends since meeting in preschool.
But then she starts experiencing strange things from chest pains to hallucinations, and she soon discovers her whole life has been a lie.

Grace finds out, after being taken to her Au
Pam
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Grace finds out she isn't an ordinary college student. She is half witch half mortal and everyone wants her for some reason. She is destined to be the one to stop the evil witch Catherine or be evil herself. She knows she is going to be on the good side and with the help of her aunt Evelyn, her best friend Julie and some new friends she gets to work training. Catherine wants her powers for her own so she can rule the world. While Grace is learning how to use her powers and find out more about he ...more
Ch
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
I received this book from Gina for an honest review.

I haven't read vampire/ supernatural books since the vampire diaries, so I was a pleasant surprise to be asked to read this one.

All in all I enjoyed the book, however some of the character names reminded me of taillight and tvd characters and it took me a while to get past that, but hey that's just me.
I can truly recommend this book.

Grace is the lead character and the daughter of the very powerful witch who dies shortly after giving birth t
Heather andrews
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book was a tad bit slow to start off with I kept getting frustrated because I was like "WHERE THE HELL IS THE ROMANCE!?!" but all good things come to those who wait, which people need to understand I don't Have patience God did NOT give me that gift. Now normally being in a female's perspective of a book sometimes annoys me because they kind of filter their thoughts but lord have mercy on us Grace does not have a damn filter and I was like "THANK GOD!" Which technically I should be thanking ...more
Tiffany Riach
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Blood Ties was a great read. I really enjoyed the different take on witches in this book (some of it will surprise you) and the descriptive way Gina writes.

Grace is half witch half mortal and may just be one of the strongest of her kind, but she doesn't know anything supernatural actually exists until she dreams of a girl being killed and sees her best friend Julie turn into a wolf. Grace's powers are finally awakening which means Grace is in danger.

Catherine is a vicious power hungry witch that
Jenn
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, witch, para-weird
I received a copy for an honest review,

wow ok where to start first, it was a brilliant storyline one I haven't read before, unlike anything I have read before.
Grace is a half with half mortal with powers tooboot! a few things will surprise you others you'll be going did I read that right, huh I did, that's so cool. it kinda grew on me, the way its written is somewhat descriptive but entertaining, its quite a good paranormal type book but there are a few things bad about this book im not saying i
Epicbookaddict
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

You can get the jest of the book from the jacket...my two cents to follow:

Gina Whitney is off to an amazing start with her debut novel. Paranormal romance heavier on the paranormal than the romance although there is a romance in the book. The romance develops quickly and I would have liked that to linger and sizzle a little more but it works the way it is.

Whitney's descriptive writing style is refreshing. She paints a picture yet l
Darby
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal Fantasy
Recommended to Darby by: Gina Whitney
Wow. This is a truly original and creative book. Original cannon and concepts. The only thing that even remotely feels familiar in this world is the romance. It captivated me from the first page.

So now Let's go back to where the reviews usually start. I was given a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for the review. Oddly enough I am not a blogger, personal friend or in anyway connected to the publishing industry -- Well other than being a voracious reader.

Grace is a charming yet
Judy Fox
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A witch with an attitude, a war that's been going on for centuries, fragile new love blooming in the midst of chaos...this book is a paranormal fan's dream. Witches, werewolves, demons, humans, and spirits are some of the cast of characters that appear. A great story line and a satisfying ending.

I really wanted to give this book five stars...but just couldn't because of two things. The editing was sloppy in places (certainly not throughout the whole thing or I would have just stopped reading),
Lou Ann Warren
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for you to add to your list. A good coming of age paranormal story line that keep you reading into the wee hours of the morning (or at least it did for me).

Grace, a girl who only wanted to be normal, finds out she's a witch and has to save the world from a woman who wants not only her powers but also wants her dead. The woman also killed her mother when she was an infant. She also find out that here bff, Julie, is a werewolf and everywhere she goes bad things happen.

This a gr
Marilyn Ortega
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book for an honest review.

Amazing story captured me and kept me interested till the end. Well written with an astonishing force of imagination. A half breed witch/mortal, interesting (cause she also possess powers not of a witch). The characters were well put together interesting to follow. It has it all from, witches, vampires, werewolves, and awesome surprises, a page turner without a doubt. Its a must read, join Grace, James, Julie, the (evil Catherine), and many more charact
Ashley
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now thinking about it, this kind of reminded me a bit of The Secret Circle (the show and not the book) and I'm not entirely sure why. It just had that sort of feel I guess; the jealous friend, the romance, people disappearing/dying, the evil character. I enjoyed this read. Grace and James and the aunt were my favorites. The antagonist was a bit cheesy, the best friend Julie gave me whiplash.

Not going to lie, I stopped reading this and then went back to it. I started reading this at some point i
Marsha
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Blood Ties by Gina Whitney is a fast paced paranormal read. Poor Grace has no idea growing up that she is the strongest witch ever....and everyone (and everything) wants to kill her. At 21 she begins to develop her talents, her awakening. A select few have promised to protect her, and they will, as long as she learns to harness her skills and treat those around her with repect. I absolutely loved every aspect of this book. I was hooked after the first chapter and did not want to put it down. The ...more
Danielle
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars!! This is a must read for all book lovers!! I have reread this book twice & even had my daughter read it. I love the action. It made me wonder what was going to happen next. I couldn't put it down. I don't want to give anything away. You really should read this story. After you have read it come back & tell me what you think, cause I don't see anyone disagreeing with me.
Milto  (Through The Eyes Of A Book Goddess)
I was given an ARC for a honest review. The book is within the genre that I love reading but with many varied and interesting twists.

Witches with Ancient inner spirits, shape-shifters, fallen Angels, and zombie-like Minions are all found in this creative and uniquely told story.

Gina Whitney has spun a fresh and entertaining tale. Bravo, Gina. Bravo. Will definitely keep eyes/ears open for future works
Marci
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy action and witches this book is for you. Was a great read when a half breed (half witch half mortal) learns her true powers. There was action, love surprises you can't be disappointed. I think there my be another book at least to know what happens next in her we journey.
Armida
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The author provided this ARC for a honest review.
This book was very entertaining and action packed. I loved the characters and the story line. Was unable to put it down from start to finish. Can't wait for the second book.
Jacklynn Sizemore
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book it was awesome! A must read and James and Grace are my favor in this story! So hope there is another book coming out soon!!
Katherine
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Blood Ties by Gina Whitney follows Grace, a college student who is having strange things happen to her and who doesn't really feel like she fits in. Suddenly, she discovers that the reason she doesn't fit in is because she's a half-witch, half-mortal and extremely powerful. As Grace is thrust into the world of witches and shifters, she not only has to deal with suddenly knowing about paranormal creatures but also with the fact that there's a war going on that she is at the center of and her enem ...more
Melissa Stickney
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Grace is an average college student. She is in her senior year and is looking forward to graduation. Having been spurned by a close friend turned lover she is hesitant with the relationships she forms. Though through everything she has always had her best friend Julie. She doesn't know just how good of a friend Julie is until her life starts to spiral out of control.

The knowledge that she is actually a half witch with a destiny to save her coven, Grace is completely overwhelmed that this has bee
Catherine Baxter
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had a lot of trouble getting into this story to start with. I'm not too sure why, but I'm thinking probably because of all the jumping around it did - I wasn't sure what time I was reading, who was who, or where people were. After that I found that the story got interesting, I could follow the story line better and everything made sense. About half way through though I just lost patience with it and stopped reading. I didn't find the characters relatable, and I had a lot of trouble staying wit ...more
Charlie
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
this book has a decent storyline however there are many places where the wrong English word is used this caused the flow of the reading to be interrupted. I was having a hard time making it through the first 100 pages but since I agreed to read the book for a review I finished it once I got half way through I really enjoyed it. however in the beginning it was hard for me to get into the characters. I can see that the book has the possibility to be a series it and it could be a good one like the ...more
Amber
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, review
okay so Gina Whitney is amazing! Blood Ties has pretty much everything from your demons, greedy power hungry witches to your tribal wolves. Oh and yes sexy hot guys! I mean whats there not to like? Blood Ties kept me captivated straight from the beginning there was no dull awkward lets go through this page or chapter to get to the good parts because it was all good, full of drama and action. I loved everything about this book. Gina Whitney just needs to get in gear to put out a sequel because I ...more
Sylvia Ashford
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I gave Gina Whitney's book Blood Ties Five Stars, this book had me thinking I already knew the story line NOT!, Gina Whitney knocked me for a loop on this one.

Her character Grace had me laughing and cheering her on, the whole concept of Witch's eating humans was something I have never encountered before, but had me so totally enthralled at the prospect that I can't Waite to see if she will continue Grace's story, this book has Definitly got some interesting creatures in it, well done Ms. Whitne
Heather Huber
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have seen reviews that said this book started out slow. If anything I think it started everything too fast, especially Grace and James falling in love so quick. With that being said, I really did like the story line and couldn't wait to find out everything that would happen. I would read this book again and recommend it to others. I don't usually read stories about witches, but this was a fun ride.
Ramsha
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
OMG!! This book was awesome!! I have never wad a book with witches who have fangs so this was quite a pleasant surprise!! This book is about a 21 year old Grace who for a long time has been having these strange dreams and doesn't really know who or what she really is. Then she awakes and is quickly told that she is a hybrid and she falls in love with James another witch and also realises her beat friend is a...... (Not telling!!) this story was well written and was a very compelling read!!

• Dying To Live & Fighting To Live - Double Edition
  • Sacrifice (Dylan Hart #3)
  • Everlasting Hunger
  • Rock n Roll Promises (Rock n Roll Paraphantasy, #1)
  • Karma (Drag.Me.To.Hell, #1)
  • A Sweet Affair (Atlanta Affair, #2)
  • Guarded Heart
  • Britton (The Awakening, #3)
  • The Keepers: Archer (The Keepers #1)
  • Locks: Rapunzel Unhinged
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • Lucifer (Sons of Old Trilogy, #1)
  • Revelation of Blood  (Skye Morrison, #5)
  • Deceiving the Witch Next Door
  • Operation Saving Daniel (Melville Sisters, #1)
  • Her Forever Cowboy (Bad Boys Western Romance, #2)
  • Player
  • The Revenger
Gina Whitney is the author of six novels, Blood Ties, Beautiful Lies, Saving Abel, Forgiving Gia, Avenging Us, and Luca. In December 2015, she partnered with Leddy Harper to release The Power of a Woman. She is known for her themes of erotica wrapped around soul-searing passion that bring her readers into the story with a range of emotions.

Gina resides in Massapequa, NY with her two beautiful bo