Start by marking “Heist (Heist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heist (Heist, #1)

Heist (Heist #1)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  106 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Can one decision change the past?

Jack Brodie has a sixth sense that someone has been watching him. Following him.

One night he travels back in time to one of the world’s largest art thefts, known as the Gardner Heist. Why that one moment in time? And what does it mean for Jack?

When he returns, his world is different. His best friend is rougher, meaner. His dad hasn’t been a
ebook
Published August 11th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Heist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heist

Ansha Kotyk
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced readers copy of this book. Pauling does a great job of creating an edgy time travel around the Gardner Museum Art Heist in Boston, with characters I really cared about and rooted for.
A Southie, named Jack Brodie, is certain his father is not the criminal everyone thinks he is. After a failed parole hearing, Jack is transported back to the Gardner Museum (via a painting) to the night of the theft. Realizing he has an opportunity to save his family from a
Susan (The Book Bag)
What an amazing ride this book was! I have to admit that the story started out confusing for me. But that just made me want to continue reading. I knew it would all make sense eventually, that's the way it is with time travel. I love the idea of time travel and the opportunity of going back in time to make a different decision in your life and having the opportunity of seeing how things change, for the good or the bad.

That's what happens to Jack. He doesn't understand at first that he is time tr
Kimberly
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and I enjoyed it. It reminded me a little of the guy version of Before I Fall, by Lauren Oliver, except Jack is going back in time, and the Butterfly Effect (movie) in that his attempts to make things right don't work out. I was fascinated by the author's inspiration and the fact that it centered around a 1990 art theft from the Gardner Museum in Boston. I didn't know about the heist until I read this book.
Becca Puglisi
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was such an interesting concept for a story. Based on the real life Gardner Museum heist, this time travel mystery kept me intrigued. There were so many possible endings—I couldn't quite figure out how it was going to end. Love the unpredictability. Great story!
Nostalgia Reader
When I saw the words "Gardner Heist" in the synopsis for the book, I snatched it up. Not just because it was a freebie, but because lost art is one of my absolute favorite topics EH-VER. Even though I don't typically read young adult novels, the subject matter was too fun to pass up.

The story revolves about Jack "Fiasco" Brody and his ability to time travel back to the past. He finds out that he has an awkward connection to the Gardner Heist, and continually starts traveling back in time to tha
Audrey Wilkerson
In the early hours of March 18, 1990, two men entered the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum dressed as policemen. They tied up the two guards and proceeded to steal over $500,000,000 worth of paintings and other artwork. The perpetrators were never caught.

Using this crime for its backdrop, Heist is the story of Jack Brodie and his attempts to free his father from jail. It’s like Groundhog Day, but instead of the self-centered weatherman, we have a self-centered thief. Jack’s father is up for parol
Trula Rae
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jack Brodie, or Fiasco, the main character, is a young boy of sixteen with the weight of the world riding on his shoulders. He is trying to save his Dad who is in jail for being involved in the Gardner heist in 1990. But it is 2013. What can Jack do to fix his Dad’s past mistakes? Jack has a unique ability to time travel through the art itself. It’s not enough he is going through the normal trauma of being a teenager, he’s also trying to get his Dad out of jail by time traveling, and each time h ...more
Victoria Chabaud
2 1/2 stars.

This is a quick and easy read. I did enjoy the plot once it finally presented itself but I found some points trying to be made blurry and rushed. I got really excited with some of the plot twists and turns but I personally found this book a little on the younger side of writing styles. I could definitely see a preteen or younger teen really enjoying it. I'd have to say the ending was the best part of it. It was hopeful. And I'm always a sucker for some hope.
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It's a little darker than the author normally writes, but I was swept into the story and couldn't put it down. Great characters, plotting that, even though it repeats because the main character keeps traveling back in time to right wrongs, never seems like I've read it before or gets boring. Put this one on your list!
Karsyn
Dec 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbrc-tt4-anubis
One of the most boring and lame stories I've ever read in my life. Definitely the worse time travel book by soooooooo much. I'm sorry to have wasted my time on the piece of crap, and if it hadn't been for needing it for a challenge, I wouldn't have made it past 3%. Awful!
Ted Tayler
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
"Disappointing"

Utterly confusing, with the time shifts. A very difficult read generally.
Sherrie Petersen
Fun time travel story with enough twists to keep your head spinning!
Ashleigh
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting concept, relatively good writing. Shame about the main character.
Laura Pauling
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite stories to write! :) I love time travel and dealing with the consequences of messing with the past for good or bad!
Terry Smith
Cynthia
Nov 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Drake Equation
  • Broken (Debt Collector, #4)
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes to Midnight, #2)
  • Choke (The Breathless, #2)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Beautiful Beautiful (Once Upon a Time Today, #1)
  • Moon Bear
  • Pursuing the Times
  • A Way Through The Sea (Young Underground #1)
  • The Legacy
  • Mama's Child
  • Pull
  • The Goddaughter (Gina Gallo, #1)
  • What Color is Monday? How Autism Changed One Family for the Better
  • Miss Kane's Christmas
  • The Darling Girls
  • The Day After Yesterday
  • Christmas Carol
Laura writes about spies, murder, and mystery. She’s the author of the exciting Circle of Spies Series, the Prom Impossible Series, and the Heist time travel mystery series. She’s a former elementary teacher and currently lives in New England. After spending time reading books to her kids and loving a good plot turn, she put her fingers to the keyboard. Don’t ask her about the unfinished quilts an ...more
More about Laura Pauling...

Heist (2 books)
  • A Royal Heist (Heist, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)