Start by marking “The Fourth Phase of Water” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Phase of Water

The Fourth Phase of Water

Study of water science exploring the open questions and proposing a fourth phase.
Paperback, First, 358 pages
Published 2013 by Ebner and Sons Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Phase of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Phase of Water

Greg Nigh
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Scientific discovery in the modern age seems to require more and more resources to find less and less. To illustrate this, consider the lowly Higgs boson.

The existence of the Higgs boson stands precariously at the end of an unfathomably complicated and expensive set up, which culminated in an astoundingly long inferential chain. To find it, first was needed about 10,000 collaborating scientists and a $9 billion collider. Then, once the particles to be annihilated were put into motion, a network
Eric
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 5-star rating here is based more on the content than the quality of read. This is basically a textbook. But that's a good thing when you're trying to convey some unique and newly discovered properties for water.

I will weigh in on the title's sensational claim to having discovered a new state of water beyond the solid/liquid/vapor states.

I believe that they have only identified some unique properties to the structure and motion of liquid water.

That said, what they have discovered is monumental
Steve
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This took me forever to finish. I had to look so much stuff up to understand what the author was talking about! Fascinating and well written. Couldn't put it down.
Steve Withers
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

Who knew that there was so much unknown about the ubiquitous water around us? Read this with an open mind and extend what he is writing about to the environment around you. Never look at things the same way again. I'm curious to extend this to an explanation of how homeopathy works.
Pb Waidyaratne
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An interesting journey into one of the least understood and often controversial properties of water. Emperors of the scientific community be warned, Dr. Pollack is not afraid to declare your nakedness.
Darkemeralds
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darkemeralds by: sheldrake.org
Truly one of the most important, mind-changing books I've ever read. It's at the very outer limit of what could be called science for the layperson because it contains a lot of chemical terms and concepts that won't be familiar to anyone without at least some chemistry background. Fortunately for me and other readers with liberal arts educations, the author is a careful explainer and a good writer, and the book contains some helpful drawings, photographs, and even little cartoons (all of which d ...more
Cameron
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The author does well to explain many hitherto unexplained properties and experiences with water. However, his accounts surprised me in barely mentioning the importance of hydrogen bonding, a characteristic feature that inter alia prevents water volatilizing below room temperature (compare its molecular weight with other solvents). I found the chapter on freezing especially interesting, although I suspect over-simplified. If proton influx to the exclusion zone is key to ice formation, why does ac ...more
Rúnar
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a wonderful book. On the surface, it seems that such a commonplace thing as water might not be very interesting. But the chemical/electrical properties of ordinary water molecules turn out to be tremendously rich and surprising. Pollack presents this subject with unbridled enthusiasm and passion for discovery. The explanations of the process of ice formation, and of the "water battery", are worth the price of admission by themselves. You will never look at water the same way again. But m ...more
David Kazakoff
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book bursting with new ways to see the world! And isn't that what science is really about? Dr. Pollack even addresses this as he delves into the wonderful world of water which turns out to have a rich history and surprisingly, water is not at all well understood. I feel Dr. Pollack has a better understanding that most and is eager to share it with all of us. His style is easy to read and he is able to share his understanding with a flair for keeping things simple which certainly helped me a lo ...more
Marjan
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, shamanism
This is a phenomenal book that reveals just how little we understand the most common of liquids. Then again; the theory offered by dr. Pollack seems like a good step forward. Whether it be a just a glass of water or an ocean, I guarantee that after reading this book there is no way you'll look at it the same way again. And when you'll ponder the biological and medical implications, your head might just as well explode! :)
Sara Wurtzel
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the way science books should be written. In perfectly lucid style, the author navigates his way through the mystifying behavior of water. His discoveries are presented with humility and a keen sense of humor. The book instills a sense of wonder that might be our generation's closest experience to the splitting of the Red Sea.
Mark Gomer
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pollack's work is both revolutionary and remarkably accessible. This book is mostly about the chemistry of EZ ("exclusion zone") water, and apparently he also has a physics-oriented and a biology-oriented book in the works.
Dan
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Who knew how little we know about water? Science will be revolutionized!
Jacob
  • The Body Electric: Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life
  • Limits to Medicine: Medical Nemesis: The Expropriation of Health
  • WTF, Evolution?!: A Theory of Unintelligible Design
  • The Fluoride Deception
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Lost Recipes: Meals to Share with Friends and Family
  • The Spark of Life: Electricity in the Human Body
  • The Great Escape (Tumtum and Nutmeg #2)
  • Manual Of Freediving: Underwater On A Single Breath
  • Macbeth the King
  • The Psychology of the Transference
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • Composing a Further Life: The Age of Active Wisdom
  • Life Itself: Its Origin and Nature
  • Life's Matrix: A Biography of Water, With a new preface
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods
  • In Memory's Kitchen: A Legacy from the Women of Terezin
Professor Gerald Pollack is Founding Editor-in-Chief of the scientific journal, WATER and is recognized as an international leader in science and engineering.

The University of Washington Faculty chose Pollack, in 2008, to receive their highest annual distinction: the Faculty Lecturer Award. He was the 2012 recipient of the coveted Prigogine Medal for thermodynamics of dissipative systems. He has
“Life is water dancing to the tune of solids.” Without that dance, there could be no life.” 4 likes
“The water-bridge. A bridge made of water spans the gap between two water-filled beakers. What sustains the bridge?” 0 likes