Start by marking “Fearsome Dreamer (Fearsome Dreamer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fearsome Dreamer (Fearsome Dreamer, #1)

Fearsome Dreamer (Fearsome Dreamer #1)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  322 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
There is a world where gods you’ve never heard of have wound themselves into hearts, and choice has led its history down a different path.

This is a world where France made a small, downtrodden island called England part of its vast and bloated empire.

There are people here who can cross a thousand miles with their minds. There are rarer people still who can move between con
Published October 3rd 2013 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Fearsome Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearsome Dreamer

Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyGeek Girl by Holly SmaleAcid by Emma PassDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
165 books — 332 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
521 books — 2,467 voters

More lists with this book...

Laure Eve
May 28, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hai Goodreads,

I like when authors do this so I've decided to do it too. Here's a bit more about Fearsome Dreamer in handy pictorial form:

It's got witches

dreams

dreams

and nightmares.

nightmares

If this sounds like your bag, here's a link to the first two chapters.

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: War, power, technology, knowledge, heritage.

YA Shot February Read-a-long!

I thought this was quite slow to start, and it felt like it took forever to pick up. But when it did pick up there was no stopping it.

Full review to come.
Roslyn
Nov 14, 2013 added it
As my updates show, I struggled quite a bit with this book. It got me on the wrong foot from the start because it initially felt like just a cross between a mediocre fantasy and a rather dark dystopian novel instead of the magical wonderful mashup the blurb describes. It did quickly become more interesting than a simple dystopia - for one thing, it’s also an alternate history - but there was a disconnect for me between the blurb (and many reviewers’ comments) and my experience. YA dystopian fict ...more
Anna Luce
★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

With an amazing cover and a promising premise,Fearsome Dreamer has to be good,right?
Right?

Though the original idea,Fearsome Dreamer was a huge disappointment.
Here are a few reasons why I disliked this book:

Originality Lack of originality
World→Ignoring the lack of creativity in naming this nation,World is the typical dystopian setting.
Angle Tar→The name may sound clever and creative if we ignore the strange similarity between Angle Tar and Angleterre.
Life→A virtual reality.Another exampl
Caitlin
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Original mini review:

If you mixed Pride & Prejudice with The Black Magician Trilogy, threw in some sci-fi, a bit of alternative history, and gave the whole thing a seductive, almost surreal quality, you wouldn't have a book *quite* as good as Fearsome Dreamer, but you'd be close.

Full-length review:

Fearsome Dreamer is the sort of book that desires to seduce you slowly. There’s no quick pay off, no one night stand, the story reels you in, gently, gently, until you’re completely enraptured, imm
Indah
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed-copy
I'd say a 3,5 stars, some elements I really liked and some I didn't; will write a full review!
Stacey (prettybooks)
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacey by: Caitlin
Vela Rue is a dedicated young hedgewitch-in-training, living in the Angle Tarr (extra points if you understand the etymology of the name!) countryside, always wishing for something more. White is a boy who lives in the technologically advanced World, and has been locked up and tortured because of his gift. Rue and White have both been experiencing strange, realistic dreams all their lives, but are unaware what it means and how far it could go.

Fearsome Dreamers' strength is its intricately woven
Mỹ Khương
Aug 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
Oh God oh God oh God! I really wanna win this book!!!!
Natasha Ngan
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simply stunning.

I had no expectations going into reading this, and having received a proof copy from our editor (Laure and I share the same editor at Hot Key), there's not that much out yet in the world about this book. Come October though, that's all going to change.

Fearsome Dreamer is a seductive, imaginative novel that I just could not put down. It draws you in slowly, unfurling its story and its characters in such a beautiful, easy way that, about a third of the way in, I realised I'd fall
Janine
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picked up a copy of this at LeakyCon London and was lucky enough to sit in on some panels to hear Laure talk about writing and then meet her afterwards and get my book signed. :)

It took me a few chapters to get into this book, but as soon as I did I just could not put it down at all and ended up finishing it in a few hours! You get completely sucked into the worlds and abilities that have been created - World and Angle Tar both leave you wanting to know more about them, as do the abilities - the
Dawning  Moon
DNF

I give up. I just can't get into this. And well, I'm not longer wanting to waste my time reading something that I don't wish too.
Fearsome Dreamer is a novel that is hard to fit into any one category, it manages to have an olde worlde feel to it at the same time as it includes some fantastical futuristic technology. Think alternate history, one small isolated country standing against corporate global domination, magic, dreams that intersect with reality and characters from two completely different worlds colliding and you'll be along the right lines. This is without a doubt one of the most original books I've read in a lon ...more
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review: Rue is an apprentice to a Hedgewitch in technophobic Angle Tar , which stands alone against World, the merge of other nations that is reliant on the virtual reality system Life. She dreams of other places, can feel herself physically there. Then she gets taken to the city by Frith, a man who hunts down Talented fro a living, and is tutuored by White, a very powerful Talented. And then there’s a boy with silver eyes who keeps appearing in her dreams, and Rue learns how powerful said dream ...more
sassafrass
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Okay so there wasn't like anything particularly ~problematic in this novel but it was just incredibly, INCREDIBLY boring. It's a real shame, because the premise of a group of people able to teleport and invade the dreams of others is always a fun plot (I mean look at how successful Inception was) but MAN was the way the narrative was written was a massive flop.

For starters the narrative is split between four narrators: White, Wren, Rue and Frith. In novels where the narration style is split lik
Serendipity Reviews
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Laure Eve writes beautifully. Her descriptive voice is rich with detail – to the point I could almost be in the scenes presented. The world building is immense in detail, fascinating and in parts scarily, premonitory. The echoes of our present need for constant Internet access are mirrored here with a futuristic, full on dependency on Life, by most humans. France is the big fat cat in charge of its poor relation, little old England. Just imagine how different life would be if that happened; how ...more
AmandaEmma
I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I heard about this book through booktube (the book community on youtube) and what really sold me was the idea that the world was divided into two parts, in one technology ruled and in the other it is old-fashioned without any technology what so ever. But that wasn’t really what this book is actually about – and that kind of annoy me.

This story is told from multiple perspectives – which at times was confusing, but it is relevant
Tema
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
3.5 stars Quite a good read.

Laure Eve has set several intriguing elements in motion: the Talent; the Castle, which is shaping up to be a pretty major force; and stuff to do with Frith who brings in the coolness of secret agents (back before I watched The Americans and realised I'd never ever want to be a spy) to name a few without spoilers.

But it is precisely this, Laure Eve has only set things in motion. Having just come out of the reader's post-read daze, I'm wondering if much really happened
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I did like the book, it felt like it was the first part of a longer book or series and it could not stand on its own. It was slow to start and did not really gain momentum. The story felt disjointed and that was not due to the character chapter focus approach.

With that said, I will look forward to reading the sequel so as to hopefully attain the answers to:
What is the Castle?
What is attacking the Castle? And why if it gets in will it kill everyone?
Who is the Ghost Girl?
What more can the T
Kirsty
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I've left it too long between finishing this book and reviewing it to do it justice

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and loved the mix between fantasy and dystopian that runs throughout it and found myself wanting to now more about the world and characters. I must admit at times I did find it a bit slow and I got to the end wishing I had book two to go straight into as by the end I really got quite invested in what was happening and where things were going.

I think I really just liked how
Katie
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Absolutely brilliant world building, I felt as though this world could be real it felt so believable. I felt as though the story was a little lacklustre however as it really didn't start to progress until about 3/4 of the way through the book - it did however vaguely remind me of the night circus by Erin Morgenstern which is never a bad thing. Full review to come!
Stacey
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
DNF, which makes it an automatic one star. The plot and worldbuilding were decent, but I couldn't stand either of the main characters. About a third of the way through I decided I didn't care what happened to anyone in the story and stopped reading.
Noor
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wattpad, ya, under-20
3.5

I really enjoyed it and that ending is a real definition of a cliffhanger!
Fiona M
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A little slow in the start but quickly picks up and there is a great tension surrounding the characters. Fallen a little in love with White.
Full review to come soon on the blog
Carly
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
4.5 / 5 Stars! Awesome stuff! Review to come....
Kath
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm actually really upset that I didn't like this much. Review coming in next couple of days!
emma
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
WHAT WAS THAT ENDING OMG YOU CANT JUST LEAVE IT THERE
Shanti
this book was utterly bizarre and quite compelling. I must say that for all that it isn't really cohesive. Explosive endings do not a coherent narrative make. The setup with World/Angle Tar is very much reminiscent of Under the Never Sky but oh well. I do like me a good magical university. And there are so many crazy things going on here that I just want to read the sequel. Alas, my library does not have it, but someday, someday (you're gonna blow us all away)
Auburn Waves
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It was sparse and overlong for what it was. I appreciate the idea and I even liked the characters, but I felt like a lot of the first half could have simply been cut without any ill consequences and with the benefit of increasing mystery in the second half. I would have chosen to obscure the Wren/White thing, because dramatic irony just didn't work for me here. It automatically makes the reader question why Rue wasn't seeing more flaws in Wren's story. Also, how did everyone know about Rue and W ...more
Els (Tragic Romantic)
I really liked this but I don’t think I formed the emotional connection I often form with books I like? About to read the second one regardless because it’s really well written and the world building and plot are fascinating.
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full review also posted here on TotalTeenFiction

Fearsome Dreamer was a book I was really excited about, and when I got the chance to buy a copy early and meet Laure Eve at Leakycon I was super happy! The book follows Rue, a hedgewitch who has powerful dreams that transport her to new places. White also has these dreams, and is punished for them. Meanwhile in the capital city, people with the Talent are rounded up and taught to use their abilities.

I started this book whilst I was at Leaky and dev
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Need to add book to a new series 8 247 Oct 26, 2014 02:31PM
Did Rue do the "right thing" leaving Angle Tar? 1 10 Oct 04, 2013 07:05AM
  • The Elites
  • The Madness
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • Stray (Stray, #1)
  • The Door That Led to Where
  • Shipwrecked (Shipwrecked, #1)
  • That Burning Summer
  • Dead Jealous (Poppy Sinclair, #1)
  • Cruel Summer
  • The Glass Republic (The Skyscraper Throne, #2)
  • Tribute
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • The Book of Storms (The Book of Storms Trilogy, #1)
  • Luminous (Psyne, #1)
  • The Savages
  • Kite Spirit
A French-British hybrid who grew up in Cornwall, a place saturated with myth and fantasy. Being a child of two cultures taught her everything she needed to know about trying to fit in at the same time as trying to stand out.

She speaks English and French, and can hold a vague conversation, usually about food, in Greek.

A random selection of favourite things: Terry Pratchett quotes, characters with
More about Laure Eve

Fearsome Dreamer (2 books)
  • The Illusionists (Fearsome Dreamer, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“She ran from the shame, slammed his door behind her and ran, away from the pain and the moment when he had been so close to her mouth he could have kissed her, the thought that made her feel like her heart would burst.” 3 likes
“The world out there is nothing more than a load of places with people in ’em. And the people out there are neither more interesting, nor better, nor lower, than us here in Angle Tar.

It’s humans, Rue. We’re the same wherever you go, no matter what we surround ourselves with.”
2 likes