Start by marking “Brood X” as Want to Read:
Brood X

Brood X

Seth is laid off from work. His wife Lara just found out they are expecting a baby this summer. Seth plans on documenting the entire pregnancy with his brand new digital camcorder.

During an evening home watching television, the news reports that a swarm of cicada (Brood Ten) are expected to overwhelm the entire Northeast.

Brood Ten is vicious and ready to invade.

During a
Published April 16th 2013 by Red Feather Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Brood X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brood X

Bob Milne
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
An apocalyptic nightmare of one family's struggle for survival, Brood X (A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion) is a tightly plotted, dramatic tale that makes the most of its found footage approach. Michael Phillip Cash has taken a bit of a risk here with a narrative structure that generally works better on the screen than on the page, but it all pays off in the end.

The novel begins, as the stories often do, in medias res - with the hospital under siege, and a war-weary paramedic cajo
My Book Addiction and More MBA
BROOD X: A FIRSTHAND ACCOUNT OF THE GREAT CICADA INVASION by Michael Phillip Cash is a thrilling Horror/Suspense/Thriller. This story is not for the faint of heart! Meet Seth and his wife Lara,expecting their first child,Seth is laid off of work, and determined to document every stage of their pregnancy. Than the news struck about a Cicada invasion,to hit the Northeast. Not only will "Brood X"make your skin crawl,bugs after-all, Cicadas, but it will have you on the edge of your seat as you read ...more
Tammy K.
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never look at cicadas the same way again!
This book gave me quite a scary, thrilling ride. The suspense at the end was so high that when I finished the last page I had to take a few deep breaths and remind myself it was fiction.
However, I will say that the beginning was a bit slow. I really did not like the main character until much later in the story. Yet by the time the action had kicked in, the few grumbles that I had about the beginning vanished.
I recommend this story to readers of th
Kimberly
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uggg! My skin will be crawling for weeks!!! Very fast read!
Raven Reviewer
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature Teens, Young Adults, Adults
Recommended to Raven by: Author
An unemployed man and his pregnant wife are told they will face an untold number of cicadas one summer. The government declares the situation a national emergency and urges everyone to prepare. But, how serious of a threat can a few extra bugs pose?

Are you a Walking Dead fan? How about a fan of end-of-the-world tales but sans zombies? This might be for you. This book had a strong opening which reminded me of the Walking Dead (but perhaps sometime before Rick wakes up): two security guard partner
Savannah Mae
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brood Ten is the story about a couple on Long Island who just found out that they are expecting a baby in the summer. Seth & Lara are married and getting through some hard times. Seth has been laid off and is on unemployment while Lara is a teacher. Of course, Lara needs Seth to get out there and find a job before they completely go through their entire savings. Since they are expecting a baby, Seth runs out and buys a video camera to document the pregnancy.
While watching the news, there is
M.M. Hudson
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being from the Midwest and especially from the country section, I know all about the noises of Spring and early Summer. It is not uncommon to hear birds, crickets and cicadas chirping their mating calls or for that matter to see them.

So, to read a book that puts the bugs, cicadas in the forefront of the story did not seem like it could be that big of deal. I could have not been any more wrong!

The thriller book, Brood X by Michael Phillip Cash starts out in a typical upscale suburbia with the cha
Gayle Pace
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW:

The author has written a book that is great horror novel which places you back in biblical times. At first you think it's about this little bug that makes a lot of noise. This bug can be so horrifying and deadly that you won;/t ever see it as a little noisy bug again. Zombie's step aside, you are nothing compared to this.

You don't think much about the cicada since it is dormant for such long periods, up to 17 years. They then come to the surface and feed and breed for about 6 weeks. The n
Mary
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Michael Phillip Cash
The evening news issues its ominous warnings nightly - reports caution that a swarm of cicadas, known as Brood Ten, are expected to overwhelm the entire Northeast. The swarm is considered vicious and is expected to invade sometime during the summer. Preparations are strongly advised.

Seth is laid off from work. His wife Lara - a teacher - has just found out that they are expecting a baby this summer. Seth plans on documenting her entire pregnancy with his brand new digital camcorder.

During a swel
Alain Burrese
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Brood X: A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion” by Michael Phillip Cash is not the kind of novel I usually read. Michael asked me for a review, so I thought, “why not read something a bit different?” I'm glad I did. It's not a book that will climb to the top of my favorites list, but it was a quick read that I enjoyed. And isn't that what we read novels for? Enjoyment.

I like the way the book was written. It was set up as a video journal, as a couple sets out to make a video history o
werejumpinbooks
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I usually hate books about bugs. No really, but something about this book really made me want to read it. I don’t think I will ever go back outside “peacefully”. This book has a little bit of it all: pregnancy, marriage, humor, friendship, interesting, grossed out, etc. There is definitely enough in this book to keep you turning the pages, and to keep you on your toes, with your ears tuned in. Michael let the book gradually build into the setting, giving us a better understanding of what wil ...more
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Lovers
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Michael Phillip Cash Author
What would you do if any type of bug invades and takes over the world?

WOW....I am speechless. I also lost a nights sleep due to not wanting to put this book down. This book was creepy, and yet extremely addictive. It's not your normal Paranormal Horror Story, but a horror story that could actually happen.

This story is phenomenally well written and very fast paced. Each page turned just sucked me farther into the story. I was shocked and intrigued by the twists and turns of the book. This author
May Fungi From Yuggoth
Sometimes the Apocalypse comes not with a bang, but with a chirp...

Long Island, New York, can be a pretty place to live, if you've the funds. If you're a long-unemployed husband with a newly pregnant wife, then maybe not so pretty--especially if Long Island is at the cutting-edge of the New Apocalypse: The Cicada Infestation. These creatures are unstoppable, determined, unavoidable.

Author Michael Phillip Cash demonstrates a really vivid imagination (not only does he choose Cicadas for his venue,
Babus Ahmed
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chilling story of cicada infestation that will give you chills and goosebumps. Told splendidly retrospectively as security officers and an EMT watch a video camera made by a couple and their friends from before the infestation. You feel yourself rooting for them to survive despite their initial reluctance to take the threat seriously, which only heralds what's to come.

Enjoy reading this thrilling short book that centres around Seth and Lara who cannot predict the biblical proportions of the d
April Davidson
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brood X is a story about survival. Seth and Lara are expecting their first child when the great cicada invasion destroys their lives. Horrendous, chilling scenes! Without Seth's humor, I might have bug nightmares still! It is a fast-paced novel, urging the reader on to the next page and the next to see what's going to happen! The attitudes of the characters and true-to-life and believable. This could really happen! And that is terrifying! Michael Phillip Cash is an author to watch, with this wel ...more
Helen May
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cicada wouldn't be my first choice for a plague (I would have picked the California Prionus or the tarantula hawk). But because the cicada is a benign bug, it's easy to see how people would ignore warnings and just stay put. I'm glad I didn't read this during the spring! I would have had the hebe jebees! I learned more about the cicada to see if it was realistic and I guess that's what makes it scary! A well written and engaging book.
Christina Presnell
I was riveted from the first page until the last. I could NOT stop reading. Great detail, horror, suspense, love. Great for the prepper set. Must READ!
Dianne
Grab the bug repellant, Phillip Michael Cash’s Brood X will have you feeling creepy crawlies all over your body, checking the sheets before turning out the lights and thinking twice before just chomping in to that food in front of you!

Seth and Lara are a typical couple, they have every imaginable gadget, a flashy car, the right address. The only thing Seth doesn’t have is a job, minor detail, huh? They have also just found out they are having a baby and Seth is going to capture every second of i
Charles
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that periodic pestilence is a recurring theme of disaster in the Christian Bible, regularly appears in other historic documents and still occurs in the modern age of chemical pesticides, it rarely is the primary cause of disasters in fiction. Other major events such as nuclear war and contact with an asteroid have been more often used, even though they are far less likely than a plague of locusts.
In this book Cash uses the Cicada, specifically those that spend years under ground
Tara
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the first book I've read by Michael Phillip Cash, but it's the first book he published – and after reading it, I can see why it won so many awards! I enjoy apocalyptic fiction, but this book puts a new spin on the genre – it's like a found footage film set to paper, so you get the atmosphere without the nausea-inducing shaky camerawork! I thought that was a pretty clever idea for a book, and a concept I've not run across before.

The story starts at the end, with an EMT who's found a di
David Savage
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brood X is the first horror novel written by Michael Phillip Cash about the Great Cicada Invasion on Long Island and the North-eastern United States.

Seth is unemployed and doesn’t seem too bothered about finding a job and his school teacher wife, Lara, has just announced that she is pregnant with the baby due in the Summer. As Seth has just bought himself a brand new digital camcorder he plans to document the entire pregnancy using it.

While watching the news on television one night a news report
Nicole Mcbride
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: The author sent this book along with Stillwell and I decided to read it as well. In terms of the two books by Cash, this was the better of the two. Normally, I would stay away from books about bugs of any kind, but again, I found myself intrigued by the premise of an infestation of this proportion. It was Biblical in nature and really made my skin crawl to say the least.

The main issue I had with the book was with the infestation; I found myself wondering how believable some of the situat
Autumn
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

I received this book to give an honest review.

This was a good book, kind of weird being as it is about cicada's. I have never like those kind of bugs in the first place so for an author to write about them in a thriller, sci-fi type book makes it more creepy.

We start of the story in a hospital where an EMT worker brings in a camcorder and says it needs a USB to work. On the camcorder we get a look into the lives of Seth and Lara who were affected by the cicada invasion. Seth stays at home since
Brenda
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! Not my normal book to pick up! The author sent several of his books to me as I am to give them to my Mother for the Linden Iowa Library. I was to read the book that I won, and any others I wished to read, and then mail them on.
Well this is the third book by this author that I've read and although the first two dealt with ghosts, this one was a little more sci/fi / thriller and I loved it! I picked it up and started reading today and finsihed it in the same day. The premise is
Patricia

Ok this book kind a gave me the wiles, why do you ask? Well I actually hate most bugs, and actually kind a living my version right now. Won't go into detail but yeah bugs are horrible laughing.

This book is about the annual cicada migration an one couples experience with them as they try and lay their eggs and breed . Seth and Lara are trapped and scared as the cicada fly in, knocking out all communication and well just making life difficult.

This is actually Michael's first novel and wow did
Michele
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought it was semi safe to watch the weather again to what did my much too agile eyes appear

Huge swarm of bugs appears on weather radar

As if that wasn't bad enough within two days I received Brood X in the mail. This is the only one of Michael Phillip Cash's books I had not read-probably because I don't like bugs and I was shying away from it!! I did do a book reveal at one point-but had never read it. This book takes place in Long Island-much too close to where I live. I am still r
Linda B
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brood X is the story of a young couple, Seth and Lara, expecting their first child and facing an impending disaster of great magnitude. Seth decided to document the whole pregnancy and ended up documenting much more.

The characters were very much like real people and their reactions were typical in the situations they faced. Unfortunately, I did not like the main character of Seth. I think he was supposed to be wise-cracking and funny, but I just found him terribly annoying.

The story took quite
Athena Nagel
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have read a couple of Michael Phillip Cash's books and this one did not disappoint. Although we haven't suffered from a swarm of Cicada - we have struggled with many natural disasters in the last few years and the warnings are all too familiar. Prepare for disaster - stock up on supplies. Make sure you have what you need to survive. This book has the feel of an apocalyptic novel and the humans desire to survive. Some of the characters evoke some strong emotions making the story very difficult ...more
Roxanne
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book

Enjoy reading this book couldn't put it down at the end needed to find out what happen really enjoy reading
OpenBookSociety.com
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kayt

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

Brood X: A Firsthand Account of the Great Cicada Invasion starts at the end of this thrilling tale of an epic catastrophe. As a hospital is under attack, an EMT brings a video camera he has found to a pair of security guards. As they begin to watch it the reader is set up to gasp and grasp at what could possibly happen. The reader has no idea what is coming next and if this were in the theaters, we would be on the edge of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Spectre Nightmares and Visitations
  • Good-Bye, Baby Max
  • If You Were Me and Lived In... Turkey: A Child's Introduction to Culture Around the World
  • Believe
  • A Wicked Kind of Dark (The Minaea Chronicles #1)
  • Apocalypstick
  • Silver Linings (Ripple Effect Romance #2)
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
  • Rising Sun, Falling Star
  • A Room For The Dead
  • Jinnie Wishmaker
  • Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen (The Man Who Loved Jane Austen #2)
  • Keeper of Reign (Reign #1)
  • If I Had My Way
  • Ethereal Messenger: Three Novels
  • Rift Healer
  • Julian's House
Born and raised on Long Island, Michael has always had a fascination with horror writing and found footage films. He wanted to incorporate both with his debut novel, Brood X. Earning a degree in English and an MBA, he has worked various jobs before settling into being a full-time author. He currently resides on Long Island with his wife and children.