Start by marking “East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise” as Want to Read:
East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise

East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise

(East of West (Collected Editions) #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  13,127 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews
This is the world. It is not the one we wanted, but it is the one we deserved. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse roam the Earth, signaling the End Times for humanity, and our best hope for life, lies in Death.

Collecting: East Of West 1-5
Paperback, Trade, 152 pages
Published September 11th 2013 by Image Comics (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about East of West, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of West, Vol. 1

Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanSaga, Vol. 2 by Brian K. VaughanSaga, Vol. 3 by Brian K. VaughanThe Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1 by Kieron GillenSass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe
Best of Image Comics
334 books — 404 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,894 books — 6,381 voters

More lists with this book...

·  13,127 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews

Start your review of East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise
Anne
Re-read 2020
Hmm. Not sure why but this time around Hickman's Cowboy Apocalypse seemed a lot more interesting. I'm moving it up to a full 4 stars and starting in on volume 2 next.

Read in 2015

I'm kinda intrigued.
And I don't know what this has to do with anything, but every time the pasty dude got all angry and stabby, I kept hearing Kurt Russell in my head.

description

Only not. Because the pasty guy is Death...of the Four Horsemen variety.
He'd broken off from the other Horsemen, fallen in love, and then had
Jeff
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
Oh, dystopian sci-fi! Crap like this is why I don’t read you that often!

Let’s see: the American Civil War lasted a lot longer because Native Americans got involved. Mystical stuff happened and the world (or was it just this country) was divided up into different parts. The Four Horseman of the Apocalyse are embodied as little kids but they’re one short. It seems that Death is a colorless (as in, drawn all white) adult cowboy, who’s accompanied by two witches (spirits, ghosts?). And he’s angry be
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
Cool concept, amazing art, but I just wasn't blown away by the execution of the story. I'm still interested to see how the story progresses, so I'll probably pick up the next volume eventually. Giving this a re-read might make the experience a bit better, as it was pretty confusing most of the time.
Riley
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This was even better the second time I read it!

Reread: February 2016
First read: January 2015
Matthew
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This might be the most “That-was-not-what-I-was-expecting-at-all” experience I have ever had with a graphic novel. I have seen it listed on Hoopla before and always wanted to give it a try. Fate brought it my way sooner than expected when my Father-In-Law handed me the first three volumes and said, “These were weird, want to read them?” . . . . Well, of course I do!

The premise is a futuristic America where we never quite got past the Wild West. I guess you could call it a Cowboy-Punk story (does
Sam Quixote
Sep 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
I know the refrain from reviewers for Jonathan Hickman is that his Image, creator-owned stuff is better than his work-for-hire Marvel material but I have to say he’s very much up and down on both sides of the comic fence. For every great FF and Architects of Forever series you get a baffling title like his Avengers and New Avengers, and for every brilliant title like God Is Dead and Manhattan Projects you get an utterly dismal Nightly News and East of West.

I disliked East of West for so many re
Will M.
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good graphic novel about the apocalypse. I tend to hate novels/graphic novels about the apocalypse because they tend to be repetitive and unsatisfactory. East of West has an interesting plot and great characters.

It's forgivable for the first volume to have a confusing plot. What made it confusing for this one is the terrible introduction. The writer should have done it better. The world is poorly introduced, thus it made the plot a bit confusing. What made up for that would be the end
Evgeny
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
We all know about The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, right? The coming of Conquest, War, Famine, and Death will signify the coming of the said Apocalypse (with the capital letter). Well, it turns out there are people whose sole goal of life is to ensure their coming - I have no idea why anybody would want this and the reason for this was not even hinted at in the book.

Anyhow, the Horsemen are ready, except that Death (it is drawn as a guy in the book and plays the male role, so I will refer to
Lindsey Rey
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
I found this kind of confusing, but overall very enjoyable. I will be picking up the next volume!
Bea
4 stars! This was fun, I was kinda confused to start off with since the art style is a bit confusing as there’s so much going on in one frame but then I got used to it the further I read.

The art is very cool, it reminds me a lot of the X-Men comics and it’s humour is very ‘Saga’ like.

Would recommend you try it out if you like the Saga series. Can’t wait to pick up the next volume!
L. McCoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of sci-fi, great action and westerns.
The best comic series on the market right now and I haven’t reviewed the first volume? That better change! BTW, there’s some politically incorrect humor in this review, you’ve been warned.

What’s it about?
The four horsemen of the apocalypse are reborn (this happens a fair bit) except one... DEATH! Death is searching for his love who he hasn’t seen in a long time and will do whatever it takes to find her as a lot of crazy political s*** is happening and the apocalypse is coming.

Why it gets 5 stars
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This is so Hickman, it's not even funny.

I think the biggest reason I'm giving it 3 stars is because I actually have half an idea of what is going on - more than I ever did with that stupid Avengers White Event crap.

Coworker lent me volume 2, so here goes nuthin'!!!
David Schaafsma
East of West: The Promise promises lots of interesting stuff, based on this first volume, and I took my time with it, but still am not sure what I think of it. I like the art. The story is basically a Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse story where they are kids, and the central character is one of them, Death, who is looking for someone. Okay, it's his wife. Wife? Wife. So he's not a kid. He's a cowboy. Once the image of good guys in comics, now the bad guy vs Native Americans, at least.

Oh, and th
Nicolo Yu
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-comics
East of West is the quintessential Jonathan Hickman book. It starts out confusing and comprehension can only be earned by rereads. A Hickman book is also heavy in alternate history and pseudosciences which this title has in spades.

This book is definitely unlike any other in the market right now. It's different from his Marvel books where in Avengers he may be trying to erase the concept of hero, they are still heroes, in East of West, there's no hero, but an anti-hero, similar in vein to Clint E
Samuel Nakat
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don't read many graphic novels or comics, but this is a reminder of why I should read more.

I really liked this book. It was a ton of fun and quite suspenseful. It had a cool twist on the normal western as well.
The art is here really was fantastic, and the action scenes were pretty awesome.
The character of Death was really great, and the book was just an entertaining ride.

It was really confusing though, and some of the other characters were pretty one-dimensional, but I'm sure if I read on these
Sesana
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, comics
I'm honestly not entirely sure how I feel about this book. There are some interesting and clever concepts, and the art is fantastic. But there's a lot being thrown out all at once. Too much, I think. Yes, the story is obviously on a grand scale. One of the characters is Death, and the Apocalypse is at stake. So there has to be a lot going on, but it doesn't all need to happen at once. This could end up being a grand story, but I don't know if I'm up for it.
Jesse A
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super enjoyed this one! Cool premise, executed well. One of the best I've read in awhile.
Gavin
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I read this last night, followed right after by Vol. 2...I must disclose this to you my loyal followers and Shallows...I was high as fuck on Percs.

Therefore, I'm not sure, but I think this made it far more interesting to me than it had any right to be.
I woke up this afternoon to explain the basic plot to my wife, and afterwards, even I thought I was a raving lunatic...

In a parallel Earth, the American Civil War had an entirely different outcome. There were then 7 sectors that the US was divided
Liz Janet
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE? DEATH AS HUMANITY'S SAVIOUR? CREEPY CHILDREN?
This is one of those that requires a few re-reads to truly comprehend what the hell is going on.

5 More Comic Book Series Everyone Should Read
James DeSantis
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update - 2/24/20 - Well I enjoyed this one a lot more this read too, so bumping this one up to a 4 as well. It is still confusing at first, and gathering who everyone is, and going back and forth between time periods. But, once you get settled in, it's extremely interesting world. Now that the series is done I plan on reading it all!

I didn't love the first half of this book. Needlessly complicated at first, back and forth feel of characters, nothing connecting. However, when it slows down and g
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review of this trade paperback at:

Yours truly,

Lashaan

Lashaan & Trang | Bloggers and Book Reviewers
Official blog: http://bookidote.wordpress.com
______________________________

Fairly interesting take on the Four Horsemen. Might have stumbled a little in setting the table for future volumes. Still going to check out what volume 2 has in store for me. :D

P.S. A full review of this will come soon enough !

Yours truly,

Lashaan

Lashaan & Trang | Blogge
Rituraj Kashyap
A somewhat cliched concept. Starts off confusing but gets a bit comprehensible after a while. The first arc is not sufficient to decide how the story fares. Character development was an issue, which I hope the later volumes remedy. Liked Nick Dragotta's art, especially the minimalist covers.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image

I weeble-wobble when it comes to Hickman's work. He has written some incredible stuff, and on the flip side he has written some stuff that just leaves me scratching my head.

After reading this first trade, I can confidently say that this is my favorite work from him to date. Going through some of the reviews on here, I just don't get how there are some that are giving it the stink eye. There wasn't anything in this comic, at all, that I didn't enjoy. The story was easy enough to follow, I liked t
A. Blumer
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great take on an apocalypse story. The characters for the four horsemen are very intriguing and Death is on the run for the sake of love. The plot here will grab you right away and all of the characters will keep you locked in. I highly recommend getting into this one and I will be purchasing more!
Hassan
it was kinda slow, a lot of information had been thrown in my face, and it took forever to process what the heck is going on, other than that, it's very good
Donovan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

"The things that divide us are stronger than the things that unite us."

I'll tell you why this is so great: simplicity. It isn't as much vague as it is sparse, large as it is empty space, complex as it is connected. It's really straight forward actually. And it is beautifully illustrated.

All right, but why is it great? And because of what? The magic of Hickman is his ability to go from subtle to blatant and the use of the dramatic, with downright impressive writing. This is pretty quiet, overall
Alja (alyaofwinterfell)
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing

description

Death is on a hunt, and God help anyone who tries to stop him.
The cult led by the Four Men of the Apocalypse took something that belongs to him and he is adamant to get it back, no matter the cost.

Set in a vividly imagined sci fi/dystopian world where the events of the US Civil War drastically changed the outcome of the future, the Four Men of the Apocalypse engage in an epic battle with Death himself. They are trying to bring about the prophesized end of the world, and Death is none t
Anthony
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
A post-Apocalyptic Western that involves the four horsemen of the Apocalypse. It's a little more reserved than Manhattan Projects, probably because it's a different genre and Hickman can't play with all the science fiction tropes he does in MP. It's good though, largely because it's so pretty to look at. I wasn't always a fan of some of Dragotta's Marvel work, but he really comes into his own when he's free from drawing corporate owned characters.
Steve
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk, alternate history, Native American and Eastern mysticism, combined with three of the horsemen of the apocalypse hunting the fourth to kill him. What's not to like?

Good story telling, great artwork. Looking forward to the next volume.
First Second Books
I finally read the first 3 trades of East of West that I bought like a year and a half ago. Nick Dragotta's art is pretty awesome, the colors by Frank Martin are gorgeous, and I tore right through these. I'm jumping on the bandwagon.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: East of West Comic Book Thread 10 13 Apr 15, 2019 09:27PM
New To You: Graph...: Interested in doing a live-show/live-chat? 2 3 Oct 25, 2015 05:44PM
New To You: Graph...: Have you started it? 1 1 Oct 06, 2015 02:06PM
New To You: Graph...: East of West Vol. 1 Giveaway!!!!!! 1 3 Sep 27, 2015 03:41PM

• Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood
  • Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 1: Flora & Fauna
  • Black Science, Vol. 2: Welcome, Nowhere
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)
  • Deadly Class, Volume 1: Reagan Youth
  • Descender, Vol. 3: Singularities
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Trees, Vol. 1: In Shadow
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at

East of West (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • East of West, Vol. 2: We Are All One
  • East of West, Vol. 3: There Is No Us
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
  • East of West, Vol. 5: All These Secrets