Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, Volume 4)” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, Volume 4)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9 #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,952 ratings  ·  116 reviews
Buffy is unwillingly recruited by the demon Illyria and a mystical council to take down the Siphon—for good. He is on the loose again, and a danger to all remnants of magic! Meanwhile, back home the loss of magic has begun to affect those closest to Buffy . . . Collect issues #16-#20 of Season 9.
Published October 22nd 2013 by Dark Horse (first published October 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

really liked it 4.00  ·

Calista
There were some great story arcs in this volume. We see Illyria come back and she is supposed to be this very powerful being of magic. Yet, within a few pages someone has sucked out her power. Yawn. Guess she isn't all that powerful. Silly.

Willow makes an appearance again and all is right with the Buffy verse. Yeah. One of the best arcs of this story is that Dawn is beginning to fade away without the link to magic in the world. She is still a ball of magic. It's a very cool idea, but it other p
Chad
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I'm not the biggest fan of this arc, mainly because it feels like half an arc. Buffy's felt a bit directionless this season and that's only compounded here. George Jeanty's art and the amount of people he has to draw doesn't help. I have a difficult time telling some of his characters apart. I also feel like his art is regressing some, especially when it comes to drawing characters to a recognizable likeness to the show.
Brett Pedersen
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Season 9's reading a lot better than season 8 did. Shit just went weird in 8, it was as if they had a moment where everybody sat around a table and said something like "hey, we're not on TV, we don't have to worry about a specialFX budget anymore, let's just got crazy!" Only somebody forgot that it would be a good idea to have a solid story in place.
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: para-vampires
The Good: Xander makes you care about Dawn. That's what we remaining skeptical fans have needed since the moment Dawn appeared in the series. A reason to care about her. She's grown up some, but she's still, at heart, the annoying little sister we all wish had never been introduced. Her relationship with Xander is the only thing that makes her likable, but at least we have that now. Xander is still full of his flaws, the one character that never evolves past his episode, always reverting back to ...more
James DeSantis
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Another volume of season 9, another pretty good but not great volume.

Buffy is now teamed up with her near vamp-kill squad but things might not go in her favor when a old friend comes to visit. On top of that we have Dawn dealing with being sick and Xander losing his cool far too often which leads to some terrible choices. We then have our new vampire slayer trying to prove himself but will he get in over his head? Let's find out right now!

Good: The pacing is pretty well done. Never boring, flo
Cath
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
3/5 stars.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:

I’ve been waiting forever and a day for this volume to show up at the library. I’ve read the rest of Season 9, so this one fills in the gap of what’s going on with
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-comics
Into it! As much as I don't really like Xander, this plotline about Dawn and him adjusting to a non-magical life and dealing with being the one always watching but never acting is drawing me in. Plus, Buffy's roomie is a secret Slayer! Illyria shows up! Willow's back! And Severin is an interesting villain.
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

So after the oddness of the last volume, a few things began to make a little more sense in this one. For one, I wish I had paid more attention to the Billy the Vampire Slayer as he is now officially a member of Buffy's slaying brigade. But in truth, I paid enough attention so that I wasn't completely lost when I picked up this book, so that's all that matters, right?

In this volume, Buffy is summoned away from a zompire battle by a mystical counci
Jonathan Coulombe
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
In really short: Horrible art, amazing story!

First, the bad part: the drawings were such a let down. AWFUL! Faces are deformed, Buffy is unrecognizable, nobody seems to be able to draw properly Dawn, etc. Hell, you know there is an issue when you can't be sure whether a character is Billy, the male slayer, or Anaheed, Buffy's roomate who is in fact a woman.

On the story side though, it is great. From the cover, we could expect a comeback from Illyria and such a comeback is a pleasure. The cast of
kory.
#1 Freefall ★★★★☆
#2 On Your Own ★★★☆☆
#3 Guarded ★★☆☆☆
#4 Welcome to the Team ★★★☆☆
#5 The Core ★★★☆☆

I hate when Buffy's friends start to go all anti-Buffy when shits hits the fan after she makes decisions that they never have to even contemplate making.
Cale
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
There's a lot going on in this book, but it very much focuses on getting back to the Buffy basics - the scooby gang (plus a new regular or two), and a big bad, with what should have been a slam dunk crossover with Illyria. There's a lot of story here, and a fair bit of classic Buffy angst, but it doesn't quite settle the way I'd hope, for some reason. A good read, but not a great one. Maybe part of it is that this doesn't offer much closure - it's very much a piece of a larger plot and the end p ...more
Ame
One thing I'm enjoying about this season is how the writers are making sure the "no more magic" thing is consistent and (view spoiler) fits into that narrative quite well.

On the other hand, Xander gonna' Xand. I'm disappointed that underneath all the added international adventures, Xander really hasn't changed. Once again, he's hung up on being the hero instead of the sidekick. Perhaps the new close-to-home danger is the beginning of an arc for Xander to finally sto
Jack
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I heard Illyria was going to be in Buffy, I'll admit it, I let out a fangirl squeal. And this volume of Season 9 did not disappoint. After a somewhat disjointed Season 8, Season 9 has been all solid, but Welcome to the Team is by far my favorite so far. Not only does it expand upon the themes of Season 9 itself, but the implications that it leaves you with for what's coming are pretty staggering.
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Despite the higher stakes in this arc of Season 9, the Back To Basics idea really hammers home here as Buffy and co. find themselves at the centre of a lot of converging plotlines from Season 8 and beyond. The drama between the characters is excellent, and I like the focus on Xander and other newer supporting characters like Anaheed and Billy. The artwork is consistent as usual, and the end of the volume sets up the final arc nicely. Interested to see how it'll all end now.
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
To date, Season 9 has had some individual good moments, but it's too often felt directionless. That finally changes here in book 4, when we get an appropriately epic story that feels like it blooming into some big. And, just in time, as this is the penultimate volume!
Ivy
I hope Dawn will be okay. Can't wait to read the next comic!
Bibliofiendlm
Illyria!! Willow! This was a great issue! Super exciting.

Full review here: http://tinyurl.com/oqqhxjp
Krystal Stone
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Illyria!!!!
Is it me or is the artwork slowly improving?!

Loving Billy the VS :)

Not so sure about Xander’s character arc but I’m waiting to see where it goes...
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Pamela D
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Review for Season 9 of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, Angel & Faith, and Spike.

Last year, I read the craziness that was Buffy: The Vampire Slayer Season Eight. The story got a wee bit out of control and got a bit too epic. The story also suffered from wanting to follow about fifteen characters. Luckily, Joss Whedon learned from his mistakes.

My favorite change to Season Nine was that several characters received their own books. Buffy had five books, Angel and Faith had five books, and Spike and W
Nicole Field
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
It's only when I went back and looked at the start that I realised how well this edition was framed. As an ongoing theme to this season, slayer Doffler is trying to beef herself up great enough to take on and defeat Buffy -- something that she came close to achieving in the earlier season, and thankfully hadn't given up on yet.

I'm very satisfied with the continuity of this season so far. I get the feeling that everything that happens is for a reason. As for example, Dawn's illness... which is sh
Roberta
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
It really is back to basics with this installment of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy is no longer attached to the business operation that Kennedy has created (which I was not a fan of, mostly because I hate Kennedy) and is back on the streets doing what she does best, fight vampires (technically zompires) and trying to save the world.

This is the Buffy I've been missing, and I'm so glad to have her back. Even though the gang is not back together by the end of this volume it would seem that things
Rommel Sison
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
What I'm enjoying most about his season is how invested I still feel for these characters. Granted, see them on the TV screen would be much more satisfying, but the voices and tone are still in line with the layered storytelling I grew up with.

Plus, there's the added bonus of having crossovers that would be almost logistically impossible back in the TV days. Illyria from "Angel" is added to the make-shift team this time around to stop Severin from turning back time to save his girlfriend from be
M
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Buffy Season 9 rolls on in this latest volume. After having been able to put together a solid Scoobie crew of stand-ins - including Officer Dowling and Billy the Vampire Slayer - Buffy is getting back to her slaying roots. However, the energy-draining Siphon is putting a strain on the demon world, causing the remaining high council to pluck the Slayer for a new fight. Alongside former Team Angel member Illyria and her demon ally Koh, Buffy's new team must try to end the Siphon's drain on all thi ...more
Trish
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BOOM! ILLYRIA! That's most of what I have to say. It covers a lot, but I do like Buffy getting a higher powered team-up.

I'm not loving Billy. I wish I could say more, but that's the extent of my feelings. Well, it feels like a Politically correct tag on, and a sop to the fact that everyone else is leaving her. It's not an equal power relationship and not the family support she has had from her true family. The pressure of Matriarch-hood is something I feel Buffyu could use some respite from. The
Alli
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
ILLYRIA!

I have some feels about the demon smurf, so seeing her show up in this storyline and literally hijack Buffy is pretty fantastic. I'm really enjoying all the magical fallout and seeing how other mystical beings are coping with the lack of magic in the land. "The Council" being associated with something other than "Watchers" was also a nice change of pace. (Though why Buffy didn't make a joke about how demons are totally unoriginal in their naming conventions, I don't know.)

I do have one
Anchorpete
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whoops! in my review of the previous trade, I said the Illrya (Still probably not spelling that right) makes an appearance. That is in THIS trade. In this trade we also see Dawn start to fade away, which is great driving force behind the action in this trade and the one that follows it.
I should point out, that I don't really care for the Zompires or the side story, featuring the first Male slayer. It was only in this trade, when we learn what Buffy and crew have to do, to save Dawn, that the bo
Bradley
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice to meet new folks in a more personal fashion again. Especially nice to see old friends. I always liked Fred, and now after the trying together of these plot threads, the shaping of our new big bad feels significantly more significant. Thank goodness. Or oh crap. Take your pick.
Zachariah
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent enough. Better than the last season, but the Big Bad isn't there much. Or are there two? Eh. One volume to go.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Season 9, Volume 4)
  • Willow: Wonderland
  • Spike: A Dark Place
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)
  • Angel: After the Fall, Volume 4
Andrew Chambliss is an American television writer and producer. He is well known for working on series such as Dollhouse, The Vampire Diaries, and Once Upon a Time.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 9 (5 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall (Season 9, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: On Your Own (Season 9, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Guarded (Season 9, Volume 3)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Core (Season 9, Volume 5)