Start by marking “Love Is Hell” as Want to Read:
Love Is Hell

Love Is Hell (Life in Hell #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,262 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
It's the 10th Anniversary Edition of Love Is Hell! A book that's been in the making for a solid decade! This medium-sized guide is now available to the public with extra bonus fun-pages never-before-included in previous volumes of the same name! Slightly less scrawny than the original Love Is Hell, this behemoth-style handbook is jam-packed with all the info YOU need to ke ...more
Published March 12th 1986 by Pantheon (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Is Hell

King Ævil
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, comix
The sister gave me Love Is Hell many years ago, after I broke up with my first girlfriend. It was the best present in the world: not only did it keep me laughing continuously for about a month, it gave me the perspective I needed to recover from the trauma. The 10th Anniversary Edition contains some hilarious material not in the original (which I duly re-gifted, years later, to a poor soul who needed it much more than I did), including the best single page in the book, "Akbar & Jeff's Sea Vi ...more
Alex
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with classic Matt Groening wit and sarcasm. Not that I really know what "classic Matt Groening" means, since I couldn't even wipe myself when this book was published. But it makes me laugh the way The Simpsons did when I was 10, so that's close, right?
Ori Fienberg
Apr 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This collection of strips is a masterpiece. Matt Groening used to be much more edgy, biting, spiteful, and dead-on. Of course, that's not for everyone. A fabulous book to give someone who's just gone through an annoying break-up.
Seth
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The best of the "Life in Hell" strip. This book showcases Groening at his absolute funniest. You might even learn a lil' something. "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Brenda
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was great!!! Hilarious.
I love Matt Groening :D
Amber
My new goal is to get all of the old Life in Hell books from Amazon Marketplace. Life in Hell holds a special place in my heart. On frequent visits to my aunt's house, I would go upstairs and goof off in my cousins' bedrooms because they had all moved out but left a lot of their junk there. My cousin Jenny was a big Life in Hell fan (my parents would get her a Life in Hell calender every single year for Christmas until we couldn't find them anymore). Even though my parents were pretty liberal, e ...more
João Moura
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ora aqui está um livro ideal para o Dia dos Namorados que aí vem...ou então, e falando mais a sério, para quem acabou de passar por um processo complicado de fim de relação...Provavelmente o amor nunca foi tão satirizado como neste livro de banda desenhada(infelizmente a preto e branco) nem tão hilariante...também da mente de Matt Groening, criador dos Simpsons, não se esperava outra coisa...Os traços lembram as personagens da série, mas aqui tratam-se de coelhos (que outro animal escolher para ...more
Rich
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Haven't read this since I was in college in the late 80's. I remember loving it then, but it has definitely lost it's luster in the last 25 years. "Love Is Hell" is definitely worth revisiting, but I think the rest can be skipped..... unless you just want to see the early workings of the mind that brought us "The Simpsons."
April Hamilton
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons, got his start with a funny and smart cartoon strip entitled Life In Hell that featured rabbits in the starring roles. This is a collection of the cartoons from the strip that center on love and relationships. There's a surprising amount of insight and pathos in these hilarious strips.
Alane
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reader beware. I think this one may have shaped me in the way that you sometimes shape cheapo silly puddy thinking it is a temporary shape but then it drops off your dresser and is found months later covered in dust and still shaped inexpertly and embarrassingly set. Love this book to pieces but blame it eternally for my being romantically awkwardly and inexpertly set.
Palimp
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque los Simpsons han devorado a su creador, este tiene otras obras, en general mucho más ácidas y crueles. Este cómic es un buen ejemplo, donde se dedica a demostrar lo que promete el título. Se complementa con otras historias cortas.
Miro
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Excepting the thematically divorced part with children, this is a lovely, if a bit predictable, collection of (would-be) insights in love. But Groening's vocabulary inspires such mirth.

Your Guide to Modern Love!!! <3
Marisha
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Came in very very handy when I was going through a major breakup! Highly recommended for those times! (especially in your early 20's)!
JAW!
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
we all shiver in the looming shadow of MG. why bother writing any more books? after a work like this, what is left to say?
Alexandra
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Better known for "The Simpsons", this is from the lesser known "Life is Hell" series, which originated as a comic strip.
SmarterLilac
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
'Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.'
Jaime
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, humor
Is this an example of "laugh 'til it hurts" or "it'll hurt until you laugh"?? Either way, great morbid fun.
Vanessa
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humor
Some funny, funny stuff in here that has withstood the test of time. Read it and spot your friends, your family, your lover, yourself - and laugh!
Eileen Reeger
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Georgia and Jess
Written by author of The Simpsons long before it was created. Much, funnier and raunchier and a must read for anyone that's survived (or trying to) a rotten painful break up!
jacky
Mar 31, 2007 rated it liked it
The public library had these four books and I read them sometime in high school. I wound up buying them from the library later when they were getting rid of them.
Michael
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Matt Groening, but this one is hit or miss. There is definitely some quality content, but some pages with a lot of reading for very little payoff.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Classic Groening. It feeds my malicious frivolity.
Dan
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every person should read this. Especially those cynical about love.
Raiseta Aida
Divertido, pero...
Beatlesfan685
Dec 11, 2008 marked it as to-read
would like to read. supposed to be good and it's by the creator of the simpsons, matt groening
Paul
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Watch out for those crafty troglobites
Lisa
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Is Hell by Matt Groening (1986)
Mark Dickson
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic, for me. Still relevant as I watch my kids go through their relationships.
Bangbay Siboliban
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books when I was nine years old.
Lora
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very sardonic...but had me laughing like crazy.
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Billy and the Boingers: Bootleg
  • Come Over, Come Over
  • Get Your War On
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
  • Explainers: The Complete Village Voice Strips, 1956-1966
  • Cat
Matthew Abram Groening is an American cartoonist, television producer and writer from Portland, Oregon.

Groening is best known as the creator of The Simpsons. He is also the creator of Futurama and the author of the weekly comic strip Life in Hell. Groening distributed Life in Hell in the book corner of Licorice Pizza, a record store in which he worked.

He made his first professional cartoon sale
More about Matt Groening...

Life in Hell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Work Is Hell