Start by marking “The Crimson Circle” as Want to Read:
The Crimson Circle

Read Book* *Different edition

The Crimson Circle

When James Beardmore receives a letter demanding £100,000 he refuses to pay—even though it is his last warning. It is his son Jack who finds him dead. Can the amazing powers of Derrick Yale, combined with the methodical patience of Inspector Parr, discover the secret of the Crimson Circle? Who is its all-powerful head and who is the stranger who lies in wait? Twice in a li ...more
1st Edition; Crime Club edition, 317 pages
Published 1929 by Doubleday (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Crimson Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crimson Circle

Start your review of The Crimson Circle
Melinda
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Classic British Crime Novel

Edgar Wallace was England's famous King of the Thrillers, churning out almost 200 novels in his career. They say in the 20's and 30's, one in every four books read in England was a Wallace novel. Written in 1922, The Crimson Circle was one of his more famous works which was later made into a film.

This novel has the same charm as Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini, or The Scarlet Pimpernel by The Baroness Orczy. Some of that can be ascribed to the manners and behaviors of
George K.
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Δεύτερο βιβλίο του Έντγκαρ Γουάλας που διαβάζω, μετά το "Οι Τέσσερις Δίκαιοι" που διάβασα και απόλαυσα τον Ιούνιο του 2017, και δηλώνω και πάλι αρκετά ικανοποιημένος και ψυχαγωγημένος, γνωρίζοντας πριν το πιάσω στα χέρια μου ότι θα διάβαζα ένας παλαιάς κοπής αστυνομικό θρίλερ, με τα θετικά και τα αρνητικά που έχουν συνήθως τα βιβλία της εποχής αυτής (το συγκεκριμένο εκδόθηκε στην Αγγλία το 1922).

Η ιστορία έχει να κάνει με έναν δαιμόνιο εγκληματία με το ψευδώνυμο Κόκκινος Κύκλος, ο οποίος έχει συ
Nancy Oakes
(posted with my thoughts on Wallace's The Angel of Terror.)

I have to admit that once I started this book, I had trouble putting it down. It has that sort of cool, pulpy vibe about it that I absolutely love. I mean, who wouldn't like a book about a secret crime organization where none of the members know the identities of the other, with one person heading up the entire syndicate, outsmarting the police at every turn? Then there's a detective that uses "ps
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery
A rather exciting classic murder mystery, I'll recommend it to any reader inclined to such...
Julie Davis
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Edgar Wallace's best mysteries, largely because of how he wrote Thalia Drummond. I really couldn't figure out if she was good or evil until the very end. I thought I had a line on the Crimson Circle's identity only to find I was off by a few degrees. A lot of fun.
Hugh Ashton
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nicely plotted and well-written book of its type - it's not literature, and doesn't pretend to be. I am reading books of this kind as research, to discover little social details (though this is set post-WW1, there are many points in common with Holmes' world), and to get a feel for the changes in language between then and now.

This is one of the best Edgar Wallace stories I've read so far (and the man was a master of his craft). I thought I knew the identity of the villain (but I was some
John
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite typical of Edgar Wallace but definitely one his better works. I used to read a lot of him when I was a teenager and this bought back quite a few memories. More thriller than detective story but none the worse for that. It wasn't difficult to spot who was the villain but there was an interesting twist at the end. Inspector Parr is a very engaging character: I wonder if he is featured in any other stories.

Good stuff in a schoolboyish way. I enjoyed it!
Leslie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, ebook
Really this book deserves 2 1/2 stars... It was a servicable mystery but I figured out who The Crimson Circle was about 2/3 in & also deduced most of the other twist as well. Generally I am not good at solving mysteries before the detective, so I view my ability to solve this one as a sign that it wasn't that difficult. I enjoyed the characters & again I found Wallace's work to be surprisingly undated (well, undated in the sense it could have been written in the 1950's instead of the 1910's but ...more
Mohamed Osman
الانجليز بارعون في كتابة القصص البوليسية حقيقة مؤكدة لا تقبل الشك

في هذه الرواية وبرغم سوء الترجمةالتي قد تجعل الملل يتسرب إلي النفس إلا أن نهاية هذه الرواية تغفر الكثير من الأشياء كل ما أستطيع أن اقوله إنها خدعة بارعة من إدجار والاس وكل شئ يعتمد عليك في أن تنخدع أو تحل الخدعة و لا تقلق فيمكن الوصول لإجابة مبكر

Bev
The Crimson Circle is a secret criminal society run along the lines of the Black Hand and other such organizations. Its leader demands that prominent business men and wealthy aristocrats pay up or be killed. The vast organization includes ruined men of business and petty thieves--none of them know each other and none of them have seen the face of their leader. After a few example are made of stubborn men, most of its victims hand over the cash with little struggle. But James Beardmore ignores th ...more
Larry Piper
One should never wait for more than a few hours before writing up a review/synopsis of an Edgar Wallace tale. They're so convoluted one can hardly remember what happened just a few days later on. At least that's the case for those us with "mature" minds. Whatever, Wallace is always supremely entertaining, and invariably results in a Good Read.

In this case, a mysterious entity (person?) known as the Crimson Circle is about the business of extorting money from rich folks. Unless the money shows u
S. Wilson
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Crimson Circle - The Crimson Circle is a quick, competent crime novel by Edgar Wallace about a crime organization called The Crimson Circle terrorizing London.

Tasked with the job of finding the mastermind orchestrating the organization's criminal deeds are Inspector Parr and "psychic detective" Derrick Yale, who find themselves seemingly befuddled by the plague of unsolvable extortions and murders sweeping the city. Tangled up in the investigations are the young Jack Beardsman whose own fath
Nacho Ferrero Maneiro
Me gusta el estilo de Edgar Wallace. Dinámico y sin florituras, el autor nos introduce en un mundo donde una organización secreta (me encantan las organizaciones secretas) causa el terror entre los ricos de la Inglaterra de principios de siglo. Su marca es un círculo carmesí que está en el boca a boca de todo Londres. Los poderosos tienen dos opciones, pagar o pasar al otro barrio.
Personajes variopintos, ritmo frenético y un resolución original. Fácil de intuir pero original, al menos en parte.
Lucia
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bastante interesante.

Me encantan los libros cuya trama se desarrollan en el extranjero.

Una lectura ligera, rápida de leer (al menos para mi), intrepidante, y cautivadora.

La recomiendo. Aunque sólo le doy 4 estrellas puesto que creo que algunos personajes no sonaban muy realistas.
Martina Sartor
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bassotti, mystery
Giallo molto intrigante. Situazioni apparentemente inspiegabili e 'inutili' alla fine si rivelano indizi decisivi. Sarebbe bastato che stessi più attenta a "quella certa incongruenza" che avevo individuato e mi suonava strana, ma che poi ho trascurato, e avrei indovinato il colpevole!
claudia ruddy
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever book

It's easy to see why Mr Wallace was so popular and his work continues to hold the reader's attention. The prose is a bit stilted but the intricate plot is consistent. The female protagonist is surprisingly articulate and competent and the villain satisfying wicked.
Antoni Savander
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ai että! Kyllä oli hyvä jännäri. Paljon huikeita käänteitä juonessa, mutta silti yhtä linjaa pitkin kuljettiin kohti loppuratkaisua. Wallace antaa lukijalle muutaman niin selkeän vaihtoehdon, että oikean syyllisen tietäminen vaatii kyllä arvailuja ennen kuin homma on paketissa.
Muhammed
ثاني رواية جريمة اقرأها لا استطيع ان انكر ان ادجر والاس ابدع في ترابط الاحداث رغم كثرتها ، لا اميل حقيقة لهذا النوع من الروايات ولكنه يشوقك ويجعلك تريد ان تعرف النهاية اذا كان الكاتب في حنكة والاس .
Meg
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sono rimasta molto colpita dalla scorrevolezza della narrazione, non avrei mai detto che mi sarei bevuta i capitoli di un romanzo scritto nel '22 con questa facilità!
Emanuela
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inside-anthology
Antologia I Mammut - Dieci sfumature di giallo
Ariadne Deborah Fassel
I kept me guessing right to the end.
Andrea
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un romanzo interessante dove il lettore e accompagnato sulle varie scene del libro e effettivamente ha molti colpi di scena. Un romanzo piacevole da leggere.
Twineaquarius
"Những lời chỉ trích chẳng làm hại bất cứ ai, chỉ khi người ta biết mình đã sai thì những lời đó mới khiến họ bực mình. Và bởi tôi biết rằng mình đúng, nên tôi chẳng quan tâm tới những gì họ nói"
#Vòng_tròn_máu #EdgarWallce

- Thể loại: Trinh thám
- Chấm điểm: 7.5/10

Mình đọc quyển này khi đi tàu ra vô giữa HN-NA, mà đọc được trên tàu xe nghĩa là có thể thấy đây là cuốn truyện dễ đọc.
Câu chuyện bắt đầu khi triệu phú James Beardmore nhận được thư tống tiền từ một tổ chức có tên Vòng tròn máu. Lựa chọn
Nam Do
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Một tổ chức tội phạm tên ''vòng tròn đỏ'' đe dọa tính mạng những người giàu có, yêu cầu họ phải nộp tiền chuộc. Những người không nhượng bộ đều phải đổi bằng tính mạng. Một không khí hoang mang bao trùm. Thanh tra Parr và thám tử Yale đứng trước sức ép phải tìm ra kẻ chủ mưu của tổ chức này. Nhưng vụ án lại thêm rắc rối với sự xuất hiện của cô nàng Thalia Drummond bí ẩn...

Edgar Wallace có phong cách viết truyện rất dễ đọc và gay cấn. Nhưng cũng có mấy chỗ hơi ảo và vô lý về độ bá của ''vòng tròn
Polly
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mysterious Crimson Circle is a high-level protection society: pay them, or you die. Every wealthy man goes in fear of them if he's smart, and dies if he isn't. The Circle has many minions, including the mysterious and beautiful Thalia Drummond, and many wealthy and high-powered potential victims, and Inspector Parr and private investigator Derrick Yale had better figure out the Crimson Circle's identity before it's too late!

This is lots of fun, with romance, thrills (of the 1920s variety), a
Themockingjay
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I happened across this book during a used book sale, and noticed a very musty old leather bound book. This was it. I read through it and found it was a really well written, and exciting mystery. There's a bit of romance, but not so much that it becomes stuffy. You can honestly, barely notice it. The murder mystery was really fun, and I've enjoyed reading it a few times.
clare c. gambino
Red herrings

What a complicated and devious route the author works through on his way to the end revelations .one almost us tempted to re-read a few back chapters to see if the end us justified by the earlier events if the plot .
Neil
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps Wallace's most famous mystery novel, a crimson circle became Wallace's trademark being on the cover of his subsequent books.
With any mystery novel it's important not to give anything away so I'll just say lots of murder, blackmail and escaped convicts, all in all Wallace at his best.
Jack Heath
Synopsis: James Beardmore is killed for refusing to pay a huge demand. It all leads back to the Crimson Circle. But who are they?
Terricenum
Finale sorprendente ed inaspettato. Peccato che il resto del libro sia a tratti noiosi.

• Deadly Shore
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)
  • Helen Vardon's Confession
  • Passenger to Frankfurt
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • Τα χαστουκόψαρα
  • From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die, #2)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • Η μελαμψή παρθένος
  • The Mother Hunt (Nero Wolfe #38)
  • The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton
  • An Evening with Claire
  • راوية الأفلام
  • Ask Miss Mott
  • The Profiteers
  • The Case of the Gilded Fly (Gervase Fen, #1)
  • The Whisperer
Richard Horatio Edgar Wallace (1875-1932) was a prolific British crime writer, journalist and playwright, who wrote 175 novels, 24 plays, and countless articles in newspapers and journals.

Over 160 films have been made of his novels, more than any other author. In the 1920s, one of Wallace's publishers claimed that a quarter of all books read in England were written by him.

He is most famous today a