Start by marking “The Angel at No. 33 - Rumah No. 33” as Want to Read:
The Angel at No. 33 - Rumah No. 33

The Angel at No. 33 - Rumah No. 33

“Apakah aku sudah mati?
Rasanya sih tidak mati...”

Pada suatu malam, Sophie ditabrak bus. Tapi, dia tidak bisa—belum bisa—meninggalkan orang-orang yang dicintainya. Suaminya, Ollie, akan berantakan tanpa dia. Freddie, putra mereka, masih terlalu kecil. Dan sahabatnya, Jenny? Jenny harus mengetahui sesuatu sebelum segalanya terlambat...
Published May 2013 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel at No. 33 - Rumah No. 33, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel at No. 33 - Rumah No. 33

My Book Addiction and More MBA
AFTERWIFE by Polly Williams is an interesting British contemporary women's fiction. It is the sometimes, laugh out loud story of Sophie Brady,who is funny,devoted to the people in her life,beautiful,who just so happens to be dead following a tragic accident. And her heartbroken husband,Ollie,and her best friend,Jenny. When secrets surface concerning Sophie,Jenny,questions,do we really know the people we love after all? A funny,bittersweet story full of insight,second chances,loyalty,widowhood,ra ...more
Betsy
Oh, how I loved this book, which did nothing to change my long-held opinion that British chick lit is far and away better than its American counterpart. This was my first Polly Williams book, but not my last.
Fefi
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, ebook
Storia un po' scontata, speravo più frizzantina,invece le amiche di Sophie mi hanno dato parecchio sui nervi più volte e poi lei è assolutamente inutile come spirito e non fa neppure ridere più di tanto,ma si limita ad osservare la vita di tutti i personaggi,risultantìdo anche un po' invadente.
Tra le righe si legge il consiglio di vivere la vita a fondo e lasciarsi meno segreti possibili dietro.
Anne
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a staunch defender of good chick lit - but I'm afraid I found this one pressed all the wrong buttons for me. Light hearted treatment of heavy subjects is all well and good, but the relentless jokiness of this one was really a step too far. Despite all the plaudits, this isn't a new and original idea - on a similar theme I thought "Diving Through Clouds" by Nicola Lindsay did it so much better. My real gripe was the overall tone of the book - wisecracks and wittiness - and the limpest of hero ...more
Kelly
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm it was OK, but nothing special. I didn't find it funny, bittersweet or moving at all. My favourit bit was the last page and I was so glad when I finished it.
The story in itself was OK but it was so boring, and each chapter started on a different persons perspective but you didn't know who until you had started reading it and that was annoying.
Shirley Revill
Made me laugh,made me cry. Loved this book. Recommended.
Omaira
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"No voy a culpar a la sinopsis, debí haber investigado esta historia y así no me hubiera llevado una decepción al descubrir que no me iba a emocionar como creía. Es una novela que me ha causado indiferencia y a la que no le he visto ni siquiera el lado cómico. El único objetivo parece ser que la protagonista se dé cuenta de cosas que para mí como lectora eran obvias desde el principio".

Reseña completa: http://entrelalecturayelcine.blogspot...
Vanessa Mozes
I found this book while shifting shelves at my library job. The cover was appealing and the summary interesting, so I decided to give it a go. The story was enjoyable, witty, and moving. I loved the intricacies of Jenny and Sophie's friendship. Most of all, I appreciated how the characters had difficulties of dealing with grief when everyone else around them kept moving on with their lives.

The reason I'm giving this book 3 stars instead of 4 has to do with the ending. It wasn't a bad ending, or
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Didn't love it... decent story, good characters, totally predictable.
Karyl
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a whim, and thought it would be a light and easy read after what I was plodding through for book club, which was Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. Hilariously, on page ten of this novel, Williams writes about Sophie's best friend Jenny: "She devours all the big, heavy books you're meant to read, rather than the fun ones. She actually finished Wolf Hall!" I admit that while I usually love the big, heavy books like Jenny does, I couldn't finish Wolf Hall, so she is clearly a bett ...more
Dana J. Moore
"So I get run over by a bus and I am wearing my worst knickers. Huge banana-yellow knickers."

With these hilarious first words, I was completely hooked to Polly Williams' ghosty romance novel Afterwife. I read it in two short sittings in the library two days in a row. That said, it's not a perfect book. Here's the review breakdown:

Writing Technique: ★★★★ I love Williams' way with words. I found her hilarious and emotional and addicting to read. Like a grittier Cecelia Ahern - she blends comedy an
Cintya Larasinta
Ketika kematian mendadak merenggut nyawa seorang ibu muda yang meninggalkan seorang anak laki-laki yang manis dan seorang suami yang ganteng, maka saat itulah kisah ini dimulai. Walaupun telah meninggal, ternyata arwah Sophie tidak langsung pergi ke alam baka, melainkan bergentayangan di sekitar orang-orang dekatnya. Dia mengamati bagaimana kondisi orang-orang terdekatnya mengalami kedukaan mendalam dan bagaimana akhirnya kematiannya tersebut membuat segala hal yang terlihat sempurna itu berubah ...more
Rea Cobb
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read any books by Polly Williams until a lovely friend of my contacted me last week to say she had just finished a fantastic book and was going to send it to me, this book being The Angel at No33 by Polly Williams.

I have to be honest if I had looked at this book in the shop I would have picked it up as I love the cover the colours that are used are very easy on the eye, but I think if I had read the synopsis I don’t think I would have read this book as I have read a couple of books w
Maya Panika
So, I guess this is chic lit. I’ve never read chic-lit before, not my sort of thing. I fell into this one by accident, thinking it was a paranormal fantasy.

Are there really people like this? Who talk like this, think like this, live lives like this? I suppose there must be, since there are so many books about them. They seem very alien to me, my life is not like this; my friends and I don’t have these conversations.

I found it very hard to warm to these spoiled, silly people and all those referen
Hobby

Editor : Primadona Angela
Cover by Fiona Franny
Cetakan I : Mei 2013 ; 472 hlm
Rate : 3 of 5

“Seberapa besar kau mencintaiku, dalam skala sepuluh?” tanya Ollie. “Sembilan setengah.” “Waktu kita baru bertemu nilainya sebelas.” “Itu sebelum kita berbagi kamar mandi.” “Jam berapa kau pulang, Cantik?” “Tidak sampai larut.” “Aku cinta kalian,” seru Sophie kepa
Christin Natalia
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Buku ini gak ada bagus-bagusnya. Ceritanya datar dan hambar. Saya heran kenapa dari sekian banyak chick lit lain yang berpotensi lebih seru, kenapa justru yang tidak bermutu seperti ini yang diterjemahkan.

Premis ceritanya membuat saya tertarik karena saya sangat menyukai chick lit sejenis berjudul "Heaven Can Wait." Tapi ternyata oh ternyata, jauh sekali. Rasanya waktu dan uang saya terbuang percuma membeli lalu membaca buku sejelek ini.

Si tokoh utama, Sophie, yang berwujud hantu menjadi hantu t
Renee
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Giggled, sobbed, giggled again. I loved the opening line - "So I get run over by a bus and I am wearing my worst knickers". This sets the tone for the whole book. A sad topic of somebody dying and how that impacts friends and family, with lots of humour thrown in.

British chick lit with likable characters I could relate to. Predictable plot, but I would have been unhappy if it had finished any other way.

Favourite word - periodphernalia, as in "There are no beauty products or periodphernalia in
Randy Briggs
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, touching and funny.
Sophie is hit by a bus, but her spirit hangs around. Told in the alternating voices of Sophie and her best friend Jenny, this novel is about the ties of friendship and family.
Mistress Kaz
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the concept of this novel. The premise: One of the main protagonists is his by a bus and killed at the very beginning, so much of the story is told from her point of view in the afterlife, which is a brave and bold step from the author.

The storyline, which flips between the now deceased Sophie and her best friend Jenny is a slow burning romance, which toys with the emotions like a cat would play wth a mouse. The beginning is quite poignant and then William's blend of dark comedy has your
Robert Bone
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book will always be special to me. After a year in my Masters where ultimately my mental health declined (though I didn't realise this until after), my first job gave me the most special gift - time. Time for myself. For the first time in forever, I could read fiction. And 'The Angel at No.33' was the fluff I decided upon to start...the book that now symbolises a new era of reading for FUN.

And this book, is fun! The constantly jammed in references to biscuit brands and children's TV shove t
Andreab
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved loved loved this book. If you are a chick lit fan you will really enjoy it. I love the authors writing style. Very easy to read and flowed nicely. I didn't find there were any lulls or dull moments. I was unsure how i would feel about the wife being portrayed as a 'ghost' in this book, and it so worked. A must read for chick lit lovers.
Christine
Jan 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
s
Samantha Alvarez
Received this book in my monthly Yureka subscription. Absolutely loved it!! Could not put it down!!
Aileen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randomly pick this book up one day and I actually really enjoyed it! It's not anything spectacular or very entertaining, but it was funny and a little moving/touching.
Susan Thompson
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I felt for the characters and it was a lovely heart warming story.
Zwart Raafje
In dit boek ontmoeten we Sophie Brady. De gekke, grappige en spontane jonge dertiger die jammer genoeg al vrij snel ontdekt dat ze nooit zal overlijden door haar 'overmatige' alcoholgebruik of de nicotine die ze tijdens haar studentenjaar inhaleerde … maar wel door een plotse ontmoeting met de bumper van een bus in het drukke Londen.

Ze had net een leuk afspraakje met haar vriendin Jenny (Jennifer) en na uitgebreid bij te praten in het gezelschap van niet één maar twee lekkere flessen wijn, waren
Charlotte Lynn
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Brady dies young after a traffic accident. She then attends her own funeral and watches her friends mourn her. Sophie has moved out of her life as a human, but still can watch those she left behind. Unfortunately, it seems that only animals will realize she is there.

Sophie’s friends, including Jenny her best friend, have banded together and are helping Ollie, Sophie’s husband and Freddie, Sophie’s son. They bring meals, arrange daycare, and anything else that the grieving Ollie and Freddi
Kim
Sophie and Jenny have been friends since university days when they met for the first time in their new dorm. Through thick and thin they have been there for each other. Sophie is now married to the smoulderingly handsome, Ollie, they have the adorable Freddie and her life seems perfect, whilst Jenny is still single, but still, they are more like sisters than just friends.

Jenny has been engaged for over a year, but, despite the fact that they agreed to a short engagement, there seems to be no si
Lisa
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a subject most of us like to think about - dying. But young mum Sophie does just this when she is killed by a bus on Regent Street wearing unflattering yellow knickers. Sophie leaves behind husband Ollie and young son Freddie and narrates the story of her after-death as a ghost. So far, so unreal and yet....I have to admit that the idea of Sophie flitting through air vents and floating by the ceiling didn't quite do it for me - couldn't she just hover above ground?....but that is the only bi ...more
Best Crime Books & More
I have never read a Polly Williams book before and was looking forward to trying somebody new. Polly Williams is far from a newbie on the writing scene though and this will be her 7th release. The synopsis of the book was interesting and the cover was appealing enough.

When I first started reading the book I instantly liked the main character Sophie. She is a normal married mum with her little boy Freddie and her handsome husband Ollie. However, when she meets her best friend Jenny for a drink, s

• The Only Way Is Up
  • Babies in Waiting
  • Stranded
  • IOU: the laugh-out-loud romantic bestseller to help see in the new year
  • The Things We Do for Love
  • Wellesley Wives
  • After Effects (Inspector Sloan #15)
  • Pastures New
  • Down to Earth
  • Still Thinking Of You
  • Lantern Lake (The Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
  • Song of the Blackbird
  • Odessa Again
  • Trust by Design (Colorado Trust, #2)
  • Remembering Love
  • The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley
  • Love So Right (The Lawson Brothers, #7)
  • Looking for a Hero
I've written stories and poems since I was a kid, and am delighted that making up stories is now my 'proper job.' Before I started writing fiction, I was a journalist - I still freelance for magazines and newspapers - but I always planned to write a book 'one day'. My moment came after the birth of my first child. I thought, shit, it's now or never! That sense of urgency - and my experiences as a ...more
“Tidak masalah membayangkan pernikahan akan seperti New York City dan mendapati bahwa ternyata lebih menyerupai Brussels. Bukan berarti ada yang salah, atau bahwa kau dikutuk untuk bercerai. Itu hanya berarti bahwa kau menaiki pesawat yang berbeda.” 2 likes