Start by marking “Bleeding Heart (The Heart's Spring, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bleeding Heart (The Heart's Spring, #2)

Bleeding Heart

(The Heart's Spring #2)

Five bleeding hearts. One profound journey.

Summer 1886

Published July 26th 2013 by Seasons of a Story (first published July 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bleeding Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleeding Heart

Start your review of Bleeding Heart (The Heart's Spring, #2)
Crystal (Abooklovingirl)
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4.5 stars

Bleeding Heart is Amber Stokes debut novel. And what a great debut it was! I've said this to Amber before, but I will say it again. She has a beautiful way with words. She's able to clearly express what she is trying to say in a simple way that draws you in. For me, her writing voice is gentle, understanding, sweet, and genuine. I admire her for her great writing ability and love that she's sharing her wonderful talent with us all!

Bleeding Heart is not your typical feel-good
Melanie
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it

Bleeding Heart is Amber Stokes' debut novel, so I had no idea what to expect, but, since the description sounded good, I thought I might like it. Well, I ended up really enjoying the book and am so glad I read it!

Bleeding Heart was a fairly short and quick read, but, let me tell you, it was emotional and unpredictable. There were a couple times I was completely shocked by something that happened and I loved the suspense thrown into this historical novel.

I really felt for the characters
Charity
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Westerns and Christian romances aren't my usual choice in literature, but this was so intriguing I had a hard time putting it down. I read most of it in one night and the last four chapters the next morning. It's the story of a former lady of the night and her journey toward freedom from a possessive would-be-husband, as well as her redemption (of a sort), and the interaction she has with the good men in her life. My only complaint is three of the men's names start with J -- I had a little troub ...more
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was sweet, heart-breaking, and hopeful all in one.

Some violance and there is a character that used to be a prostitute.
Beka
Bleeding Heart by Amber Stokes is self-published. There is a huge stereotype against self-published works, but I want to go out there and say that Bleeding Heart's writing outshines many traditionally-published books in the world. Amber is a master of her craft, and each beautifully-worded sentence shows how much time and effort she has put into her novel. I loved her careful, vivid descriptions of the wild natural beauty of the setting, and how her characters related to it.

One thing I particula
Rissi
Shelves: blog-tour, review
Over the years, self-publishing has had a stigma attached to it. Why, I know not – in the past six months I, as an avid reader have turned pages on a handful of self-published novels, and have found each one to be worth the paper on which they were printed. This one is different since it is authored by a lovely writer whom I have been honored to get to know certainly as an encouraging blogging buddy and as a friend. Amber sets her story in Oregon in the early 1800’s and on top of a setting she i ...more
Kara
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was quite impressed with Ms. Stokes' writing. Especially for a first novel! :) The descriptions of the way people lived during the late 1800s drew me in and felt well researched. I could easily picture what was going on and where people were. Life was hard back then. It hasn't been kind to most of these characters really. And their individual and collective journey's will take them all to places they had never imagined.

With heartbreak and pain, this is not a happy, sunshiney story. These char
Alyssa
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[About the Book]

Five bleeding hearts. One profound journey.

Summer 1886

Sally Clay’s livelihood has been snatched away, but in its place arises an opportunity to escape from her sordid past and an unrelenting, unwanted suitor. Boarding a train with a heartsick rancher and an enigmatic miner, she leaves Virginia City behind and heads to Northern California, waiting for the chance to make right what went wrong three long years before.

But the road to revenge is far from smooth. Sally soon learns
Renee
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Never have I encountered a romance with a twist like that of Bleeding Heart! If her upcoming novels are as exciting and drama-filled as her debut, Amber Stokes will have no trouble gaining permanent and devoted fans. Much like a Heartsong Presents novel, Bleeding Heart has everything that makes a great story -- setting, plot twists, and great characters all in a short, quick bite.

From just a few short chapters, a few characters stood out as favorites, those being Sally, the heroine and her frien
Julie Graves
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Desperate to escape the life that she has been living, Sally Clay swallows her pride and begs Joe and his friend Myghal to take her with them wherever they are going. Having been rejected by a man she thought loved her Sally had been forced to support herself in a brothel. Sally knows the only man that will ever want her now is a man she must escape at all cost.

Having lost the woman he loved to another man Joe plans on heading to California to find work in a logging camp. When he agrees to allo
Grace Mullins
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One word to describe this story is beautiful. The imperfect characters with their flaws are realistic, and their tale touched me. Sweetness, sadness, heartbreak, and redemption are things you can find in this book.

I am not aware of ever before reading a Self Published Book, so I cannot compare it to other ones, but "Bleeding Heart" is a worthwhile read, especially if you are looking for something other than a story filled with fluffy romance. It's different than the usual Christian Historical R
Rachelle Cobb
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What I Loved

I love how this story captured my heartstrings, yanked me all over the place, and still somehow settled me down at The End with this sweet little smile. Good love stories aren't always simple, and Bleeding Heart is precisely the sort of good love story I enjoy recommending to fellow readers.

Sally is real and relatable--her heartaches and pain can be felt through Amber's flawless prose. Joe is the kind of strong, steady hero Sally needs--or is he? Myghal, perceptive and kind, is a fri
Shantelle
Bleeding Heart was a thought-provoking and heartfelt novel. It had an intenseness, with bittersweet moments, and raw feeling, that you don’t usually find in historical-romance. –A letting go, and surrendering to God, and treasuring of joyous times.

Following the lives of former-prostitute Sally Clay, brothers Joe and Seth, and loyal friend Miguel, Bleeding Heart takes us on a heart-rending journey, that ends with… what? Can bleeding hearts mend? Or is there only so much a person can take? Wil
Bluerose's  Heart
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This debut novel took me by surprise in many ways! It’s not your typical “light and fluffy” read from the world of Christian fiction. Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy a “light and fluffy” story just as much as the next girl, but I also enjoy being so shocked by a plot change that I have to put my book aside for a moment to register what just happened. Amber blows the “predictable” label that often comes with Christian fiction right out of the water.

Bleeding Heart is a dark story. There’s pain and hea
Rebecca
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book more, but found it unrealistic in that she was so beautiful and great everyone was in love with her. One man is perusing her as an object to possess, willing to lose all he possesses to get her. One man wants to protect her and goes back and forth between resentment and love. One man loves her but realizes she is more suited for another. Finally she ends up with one who she can be happy. The storyline is fine and the writing is good. I just wish there weren't five diff ...more
Sandra Leesmith
Bleeding Hearts is a unique and inspirational story. Amber Stokes in her debut novel captures the true flavor of the touch times in the settlement of the west. Her characters are realistic and representative of the struggles young pioneers faced in the Pacific Northwest. I love the different setting from most historical romances and I enjoyed the realism tampered by the hope and courage born of love amongst the characters. Amber did a terrific job and I look forward to more from this author.
Brooke Barenfanger
Sally Clay was in love once, but the man who told her he loved her just as much as she did left her. Now—three years later— on a road that comes to a fork, which way will Sally choose? The path to vengeance? Or the path to forgiveness?
Joe and Myghal want to help and protect Sally, who is bruised from the past. But they both have a past of their own to reckon with…
Which man will win Sally’s heart?
Bleeding Heart matches the plot and characters of this novel to perfection. Emotions are raw and bl
Amber
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bleeding Heart by Amber Stokes is an exquisite, heartfelt story of epic love and bitter loss. You will lose your heart to the depths of emotion and the heights of pleasure that you will experience in this unforgettable journey of the beauty and misery that this world has to offer. I was mesmerized by the enduring strength despite the inherent weakness of each of the characters. The fact that they never really gave up on hope and love reinvigorated my own hope for the future.

On the day we are bor
Miranda A. Uyeh
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You’ll never understand how symbolic the cover picture is until you’ve read the book—the flowers, the white dress, the mix of emotions on Sally’s face, the valley between two hills with a dark cloud blanketing one of them like it represented doom, loss, sadness and pain, while the other had a sky with a light that appeared to have broken from the darkness representing hope and a future. And how wonderful to have Sally’s image situated right in the middle of the two hills. I thought I should shar ...more
Faye
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first started this book, I wasn't quite sure what I would think of it by the end...but I ended up loving it!

Five bleeding hearts struggle to mend despite their pasts that threaten to bind them in pain and heartache.

Bleeding Heart brings the most unlikely of characters together, each with their own hurt, broken heart, and scar, as they lean on each other to hope for a better future. The woman who brings them all together is just as unlikely...

What I liked so much about this story was how
Rambling Readers
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reading a novel by a new author is always an exciting prospect. Sometimes the excitement fades and disappointment sets in; other times the pages reveal a fresh voice full of promise. "Bleeding Heart" is a promising debut, and Amber Stokes treats readers to a poignant tale of heartache and healing. As the title and synopsis suggest, broken hearts are the central focus, so this is not a traditional light-hearted romance. The plot is unpredictable, and Stokes takes risks by incorporating some tragi ...more
Michelle Griep
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Looking for an Old West action-packed story? Have I found a book for you! Bleeding Heart is a rootin-tootin-shootin’ debut novel by Amber Stokes. There’s plenty of romance, the requisite gunfight and hanging, a marshal, saloons and yes, even a train ride.

The story takes place shortly after the Civil War. Heroine Sally Clay is desperate to leave behind her life in a brothel to chase after the man she loves. The thing is…the fella doesn’t really love her. It’s one mishap and adventure after anothe
Emily
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bleeding Heart by Amber Stokes is the tale of Sally Clay. She chased after her love, Jack, only to be left in the dust with no way back home. Thus, the innocent young girl became a soiled dove—a tavern girl. But there is hope for love yet. She sets off to find Jack again, with the help of Myghal and Joe. But will redemption ever come? Will broken hearts ever be healed? And will she find new love with one of her companions?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! There were so many ups and downs I could n
Miranda Atchley
Sally Clay is a soiled dove. After leaving her home in Missouri only to have her heart broken by Jack Harvel, she's been working in a brothel. Yet after three years, she's through with the sordid life she finds herself in, and hearing that Jack is working in the redwoods of Oregon, she sets off to find him and make him see what he caused her to do, with Joe Clifton and Myghal and tagging along. Joe's heart is still broken after Elizabeth broke off their engagement and married David. He finds tha ...more
The Overweight Bookshelf
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full post here: http://www.overweightbookshelf.com/20...

Blogger turned author Amber Stokes has released her debut novel Bleeding Heart to much praise and felicitation. Taking the path less travelled with her historical western, Amber avoids typical conventions of the inspy genre to produce a work that is unique and moving. I applaud her from taking a huge risk midway through the story that alters the trajectory of the plot yet reinfuses momentum.

Seeking indemnity for her fall from grace, Sally f
Carissa
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reviews
wow, review to come as part of the blog tour.

Title: Bleeding Hearts

Author: Amber Stokes

Chapters: 27 plus epilogue

Genre: Christian Historical Romance/ fiction

Rating: 5 stars.

Bleeding Hearts by Amber Stokes is her debut novel. I have to start out by saying that it is different than any other Christian Historical that I have read in a while. However that is a good thing. It leaves you thinking and touches many different emotions. The only other novel that have read recently that comes close to m
Kate (The Shelf Life)
Bleeding Heart is Amber Stokes' debut novel that will grip your heart with a mixture of sorrow and laughter. The emotions that Amber can portray in her story are true and you just ache and celebrate with each of the characters as the go through their trials and achievements.

The story follows Sally Clay as she escapes Virgina City, a three year nightmare, and what could be an even worse future. Sally sees an opportunity to leave with two friends, Joe and Myghal, who are leaving the mining city to
Michelle
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
**4 1/2 Stars**

When Amber approached me last year to read what she had written so far on her Bleeding Heart manuscript, I jumped at the chance! It was with great pleasure that I read the beginning of this wonderful story, and it was with great pleasure that I agreed to read and review the final copy of Bleeding Heart for Amber's blog tour! I count it an honor and a privilege to have been a part of Amber's writing journey.

The much anticipated debut of Bleeding Heart did not leave me disappointed!
Debbie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad, Yet Compelling Historical Romance (4 Stars)

Bleeding Heart by Amber Stokes

This novel starts in Virginia City, Nevada in the Summer of 1886 and the main characters, travel from Nevada to California to Oregon...all in search of love or running from a disastrous relationship.

Sally Clay was in love with someone who did not love her back and when she left her home and followed him out west and found out he didn’t want her, she was left in a town with no money and no place to go. Back then, there
My Book Addiction and More MBA
BLEEDING HEART by Amber Stokes is another exciting Inspirational Western Romance by this author set in 1886 Northern California. #2 in "The Heart's Spring", while it can be read as a stand alone, I would recommend reading book 1 first, FORGET ME NOT.

This is Seth and Sally's story. Filled with broken hearts, struggles, flawed characters, healing, forgiveness, and love. You will fall in love with the characters of BLEEDING HEART. You will also see re-appearing characters from FORGET ME NOT. An enj
Amber Holcomb (Stokes) is a freelance editor and indie author who lives in eastern Washington with her adventurous husband. Previously, she worked in marketing for a Christian publisher for nearly three years. Her passion for books compelled her to earn a bachelor's degree in English and now fuels her work with words in this new season of life.

Where Trains Collide, While You're Awake, How a Star F

The Heart's Spring (2 books)
  • Forget Me Not (The Heart's Spring, #1)