Start by marking “Meridian Six (Meridian Six, #1)” as Want to Read:
Meridian Six (Meridian Six, #1)

Meridian Six

(Meridian Six #1)

Meridian Six remembers the days before the Troika enslaved humans. She also remembers her mother, a freedom fighter murdered in the final battle between humans and vampires. But it is her mother's final words that have haunted her:

Red means life.

In the years since her mother's death, she has been used as both a propaganda tool and a blood slave by the Troika. She's withst
Published June 4th 2013 by Jaye Wells (first published June 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Meridian Six, please sign up.
Jason It's available for Kindle. What do you mean by "normal websites"? I think I know the answer. You should pay for the book to support the author..

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
"'How can you say you want to run? They took your mother. They took your life. They took your choices away. How can you just run when you have every cause to turn around and fight back?'"

This was a quick, mostly enjoyable vampire dystopian novella. It is far from perfect; I had numerous questions as I read through it, and there were plenty of errors. This novella could have benefited a great deal if it had an editor (or one that's better at doing his or her job). The problem here is one from whi
Suzanne McLeod
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jaye Wells' Meridian Six hits the ground running with her trademark action and the pace never lets up. Deft and imaginative worldbuilding (with gruesome bats!), fierce complex characters who own their hard choices, and a suspense-stacked plot that keeps you turning pages right to the gripping end. An intense short story set in a brutal and unflinching dystopia. I loved it and can't wait to read more!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf, novellas
A dark, gritty UF novella with no romance. I did ask Wells if there would be more, and there will be. She does have lots of projects she is working on, but eventually we will get further stories in this world. This makes me happy.

Not that Meridian's world is full of sunshine and rainbows. Nope. This place is hell on earth. Vampires rule, humans are food, and it all sucks (every pun intended).

In this world, the Troika, vampires, have taken over. They did it slowly, using the humans fear to cement
Mona Bliss
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Jaye Wells' Sabina Kane series. She's become one of my "buy no matter what" authors. This novella is decidedly darker than the Sabina Kane books so if you decide to read this you need to be aware that it has a different temperature and tone. For me, it's a tone I love. It starts out hot in the middle of some great intense action, proceeds to reveal a well built world where vampires have taken over and turned humans into a slave/food source which leads us right to the human rebe ...more
Ami

This is a dystopia story where bad vamps (known as Troika) rule and humans are slaved in work camps or blood camps, depending on their blood types (some types are more desireable). Meridian Six (real name: Carmina Sargosa) is a daughter of human resistance figher; her mother killed, and she has been captured and raised inside the Dormitories, suffering from tortures. Until one form of torture makes her snapped and decides to run, when he stumbles into human and vampire rebels...

I have o
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
Non- stop action from start to finish! This was definitely a darker read, but well worth it. Fantastic world building and depth of character was seamlessly woven into the action.

Meridian Six escaped the vampires - barely. Her sanctuary with the Sisters of Crimson is (very) short-lived. Meridian gains a little bit of hope and purpose. She refuses to go back, but isn't fully accepted by the rebels.

I love Jaye Well's Sabina Kane series, but this might be even better! I hope to read more of Meridian
Kelly
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is no sweet, gentle vampire story. It's bloody and dirty and full of enough grit to keep you scrubbing for days. Basically, it was exactly what I was looking for when I picked it up. Something that would dig into my brain and make me think.

Meridian's life is awful. As a blood slave for the Troika, she's withstood everything life has thrown at her, until they cross a line and she goes on the run. She ends up tangled with a group of freedom fighters who are living on the ragged edge. They don
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
This is an original review from http://bookedandloaded.com original rating is 4.5/5 Bullets.
Jaye Wells introduces us to an entirely new vampire world. One filled with repression and bleakness. It is dark. It is gritty....I loved it. Wells' take on vampires is not a romanticized version in this novella. Vampires use humans for one purpose only - food. The human world is destroyed and an underground rebellion still strains to make a difference. For a novella the story contained much depth and a gr
Sierra Dean
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really interesting and compelling novella that I hope will spawn more stories in this universe. Wells, best known for her Sabina Kane series, is a consumate and talented story teller, and here her world building skills really shine.

If I have any complaint it's that a few minor editing mistakes took me out of my reading (these have since been fixed in the most recent version), but aside from that the story is excellent and definitely worth a read. I tore through it in one sitting.
Kate Danley
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really fresh feeling post-apocalyptic urban fantasy. I mean... it is gritty and dark. It's post-apocalyptic and an ugly, ugly world our heroine lives in, but the author's voice is so fresh and she brings a new angle to urban fantasy. It was a complete page turner and I couldn't put it down. Really, really enjoyed it.
Elisa
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Good, solid vampire run world with humans trying to fight back. You are thrown into the action and it never lets up in this novella. Can't wait to try out the next book.
Jeanny
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it

_______________________
Cliterary Genius 2017 Reading Challenge : Jan: "Read a book you've been meaning to read."
Margaret
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
In a dystopian New York, now called Nachtstadt, vampires have taken over the government. They sort humans into castes based on blood type, sending the most common ones to labor camps and keeping the rarest for themselves. Meridian Six is one of the rare, used by the vampire propaganda machine as their human poster child. She's been passed around among the vampire elite and been privy to their secrets. Now she's had enough of being used and has decided to run. All she has to do is reach the neare ...more
Marsha Hubbell
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’m a tried and true fan of best-selling urban fantasy author Jaye Wells and am hooked on her “Prospero’s War Series.” As Ms. Wells is a master at creating new worlds filled with riveting characters, I was curious where she would take me in her new “Meridian Six Series.” Book one of the same name began as a short story and evolved into a novella.

Jaye Wells does not disappoint, and the reader is quickly drawn into an apocalyptic world ruled by vampires. You might be tempted to say, “been there,
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
I was first introduced to Jaye Wells when I read the Prospero War series. I enjoyed the series so much that I was glad to receive a complimentary copy of Meridian Six in exchange for a honest review. This was a quick an enjoyable urban fantasy story

See my full review at
Julie-anne
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING short story from Jaye Wells. It starts off hard and keeps at it until the last page.

Very different from her Sabina Kane series, which was light hearted and funny - Meridian Six is a lot darker.

Can't wait to read the rest of the novellas in this series.
Kimberly Burton
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This SO needs to be a series...you hear that Jaye Wells?!?! Loved loved loved!
Erin
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Vampires and rebels! Good intro to Meridian Six's story. Jaye Wells writes female characters that I understand and love to read. They have brains and speak out.
Jodi Sheridan
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would kill for this to be a full length novel.
Jackie
Set in a post-apocalyptic future that has vampires in charge this is a very short look into a dystopian world that the reader can easily envision and just as easily be apalled by for it is a dark forbidding existence if you are human.

There is of course a bit of back story revealed for our main female character Meridian Six and her supporting cast, but even with those tidbits the questions raised are for the most part unanswered to my complete satisfaction by books end.

Darker, grittier fare penne
Izzy
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting story but not for me. I love Jaye Wells' other books, though.
Maggie Mcdonald
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really interesting take on vampires.
Amy Braun
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, gritty, and much different from what I'm used to from Jaye Wells. That said, I loved the world-building and history of these new characters. The atmosphere is bleak and focused on survival, two central elements to Six herself. It's pretty clear that Wells was under word count restraints, but this was still an action-packed story with great characters, explosive action, and detailed urban fantasy world building. I definitely want to know more about this world and am already diving into boo ...more
Luanne
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I couldnt put it down.
Sofija
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Age: Carmina (aka Meridian Six) - 23
POV: one (Carmina's)
Narration: from first person
Tense: past

When I saw that this novella was by Jaye Wells I knew I need to read it. I am a big fan of her Sabina Kane series. And though this book has a disclaimer that unlike Sabina Kane books in “Meridian Six“there are no snarky sidekicks or hilarious hijinks in this story”. But I still decided to try it. And I am so happy I did!

This novella is very short. It has only 9 chapters (73 pages on my reader). Usual
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
I loved Jaye Wells' Sabina Kane series so I was very excited to see that she another vampire story being published. Meridian Six was great story, but it was very different from her previous series. Don't go into this book expecting Jaye's trademark humor and quirky characters; this book is very dark and serious.

In this novella, our world has been taken over by vampires and humans are forced into service at either blood farms or work farms. Meridian Six is a human who was captured and raised by t
Angela Shumake
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
**NO SPOILERS** The only reason I gave this book 4 instead of 5 stars is that it is way too short. It feels like a third of a book, which is very frustrating and left me feeling unsatisfied at the end. It is well written even with the short hop of a story arc, although the conclusion and some reveals seemed rushed. It is just the first of a series, but it just felt to me like where and how it ended didn't have enough closure to validate a stopping point. I do understand that it's a fine line aut ...more
Lais
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Ms. Wells is one of my favourite authors,so I will read anything that she writes! But that doesn't mean that I have a parcial view of this novel. It's 5 stars because it is worth it!
The world is incredible,really interesting and even it's a short we can see the details: The Troika (bad vamp government),The Order of The Sisters of Crimson,the rebels. Everything that makes a wonderful book.
Meridian Six is the heroin where she left the Vamps who raised her badly and like a slave after her mother d
Susanna
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story was too hasty. There wasn't enough world-building to get a feel of things, and the characters felt too incomplete to get behind their motivations other than survival. The hasty operation that was the climax of the story felt poorly justified and it was difficult to get behind the action or care for the outcome. With a bit more meat around its bones, it might have been an interesting book, but as it is, I won't be reading the next one.
Barbara
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meridian Six, real name Carmina Sargosa, is the daughter of a rebel leader who died fighting the vampire Troika who have taken over earth and enslaved the humans. Six has been held captive and used not only as a blood slave, but as a propaganda tool by the Troika. She finally escapes and joins with a band of rebels, hoping that the information she has will convince them to help her, but she has no plans to join their fight. As she is drawn deeper into the affairs of the freedom fighters, she rea ...more

• Something Wikkid This Way Comes
  • A Walk on the Nightside (Nightside, #1-3)
  • Forbidden Blood (House of Comarre, #0.5)
  • Unfallen
  • The Asylum Interviews: Trixie (The Asylum Tales, #0.6)
  • Crucible Zero (House Immortal, #3)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Midway Relics and Dying Breeds
  • Dark Matters (Signs of the Zodiac, #4.5)
  • The Strain, Book One
  • The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway (The St. Croix Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Leopard Dreaming (Mira Chambers #3)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Selfies
  • Vampaholic (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy #2)
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
Jaye Wells is a former magazine editor whose award-winning speculative fiction novels have hit several bestseller lists. She holds an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University, and is a sought-after speaker on the craft of writing. When she’s not writing or teaching, she loves to travel to exotic locales, experiment in her kitchen like a mad scientist, and try things that scare her ...more

Meridian Six (2 books)
  • Children of Ash (Meridian Six, #2)
“I only believed in three things: my right fist, my left fist, and my gut.” 3 likes