Start by marking “The Wide, Wide Sea (Chaos Walking, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Wide, Wide Sea (Chaos Walking, #2.5)

The Wide, Wide Sea

(Chaos Walking #2.5)

The Wide, Wide Sea is set in the past, at a time before the Spackle War, and we get a first look at the fishing village on the sea where some very important things happen at the end of Monsters of Men.

Best read after The Ask and the Answer but before Monsters.

(again, hints of things to come) - Patrick Ness
Published May 16th 2013 (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wide, Wide Sea, please sign up.
Kelli Lang Take note that the half books are only a few pages each, and they can be read for free online. I had no doubt that it was worth it to spend a few minu…moreTake note that the half books are only a few pages each, and they can be read for free online. I had no doubt that it was worth it to spend a few minutes on each.(less)

Start your review of The Wide, Wide Sea (Chaos Walking, #2.5)
Charlotte May
“The world is big. Surely there is space in it for one like you and one like me.”

This was a cute story set 13 years before the Chaos Walking Trilogy. Tensions between the humans and the Spackle were high, many had chosen to leave and travel to Haven for better prospects.

Declan on the other hand does not want to leave, for he has fallen for one of the Spackle and will not leave without her.

This is met with disdain and disgust from his family and neighbours, claiming it ‘isn’t natural’. So whe
C.G. Drews
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, read-2018
This was just a little bit heartbreaking but also sweet. And showed Mistress Coyle has a heart!! I always doubt it but look at her go! It basically is about this boy named Declan who falls in love with a Spackle girl and everyone is like: oh kill them they be different. Typical humans. I swear, if there's one thing you can count on, it's humans to muck things up. #skillz

And it was too short *sobsob* which is something I say about ALL novellas. But I enjoyed this one a lot more than Lee's novella
karen
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, i carved out my own short story advent calendar as my project for december, and it was so much fun i decided to do it again this year! so, each day during the month of december, i will be reading a short story and doing the barest minimum of a review because ain't no one got time for that and i'm already so far behind in all the things. however, i will be posting story links in case anyone wants to read the stories themselves and show off how maybe someone
Dannii Elle
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel short story to the Chaos Walking trilogy and can be found here.

Set thirteen years before the events that take place in the main trilogy, this might add nothing to the main narrative but opens up the world brilliantly. Declan Lowe and the rest of his community are fleeing from their seaside town to live in the larger city of Haven. Fishing is brutal in the new world, where the fish herd and hunt the people rather the other way around, and they are starving. Hunger matters little
Hamad
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Wow, That ending though!
Ness is a master of plot twists <3
Brigid ✩
Attention Chaos Walking fans! You can read this story as well as "The New World" and "Snowscape" by going here!

Note: If you haven't read the whole trilogy yet, this story is best read between The Ask and the Answer and Monsters of Men.

“We would do what we must. The world is big. Surely there is a space in it for one like you and one like me.”

There are few authors who have the ability to rip my heart out and stomp on it in the span of less than 40 pages.

Damn it, Patrick Ness. Just … damn it.

I w
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS. THIS IS WHY I LOVE PATRICK NESS.

This novella is literally 40 pages long but it is life.

It is 40 pages long and I LOVE DECLAN and want to kind of shelter him from anyone who ever wants to harm him? So in other words can we have a wholeeee spin off series following him pls and thank you.

I know I just said this but this book is 40 pages long and I actually felt?? supsense?? and anticipation??

If you want to deep dive into the novella you can totally analyse and compare the main character's
Ashley Daviau
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this story a tad confusing at first as it featured characters that had not previously been introduced and we were given no context beforehand. Once I managed to understand what was happening and where the story was going, I did end up enjoying it. I thought the idea was interesting and had actually wondered if anything like that might happen. It was also interesting to see the Spackle from a different perspective. All in all I did enjoy this story but at the same time I feel like we coul ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
”His Noise painted his reading in the air, and he was happily lost within it all”
Declan & Ti
Patrick Ness doing what he does best...
Make you feel all the feelings in the world for characters he most probably will kill two chapters later.
This is such a great way to show that love have no boundaries. That we people create limitations and set the rules that cause our own heartache.
Part of me hope we will meet Ti and Declan again

Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, ya, z2015, novella
A really nice short story! I always wondered whether people ever fell in love with Spackle and I'm happy I got to see that it did happen. I loved Declan and Ti's story and now I want to know what happened next! Great writing as per usual by Patrick Ness. I also feel like Patrick Ness is writing these short stories because he genuinely wants to give us different insights into the world he created. Sometimes I think authors just write short stories, other novellas (etc) to make more money or to bl ...more
Katie.dorny
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I never imagined a story like this one for the chaos walking trilogy. I want a prequel and sequel to this short story!! It's so interesting and an angle I never thought of.
Stella
I knew sort of what I was getting into with Snowscape, which happens after Monsters of Men, but The Wide Wide Sea was a complete surprise. Tears were shed, hearts where torn, and once again I was reminded of how evil (and brilliant) Patrick Ness is.

This story was touching, and I really light it shed on certain relationships the readers might not have thought of.

Patrick Ness, I declare you The King of Heartaches.

I still haven't recovered from what you did to me with the rest of your books and now
- ̗̀ jennet ̖́-
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I never thought a human and a spackle could fall in love, but here I am. Wow.
Sheena
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
WAY TOO SHORT. I want more!! I think I may reread the Chaos Walking series this year..
Phoenix
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book softened up my cold, callous heart and stomped over it like an overripe tomato.
I have always been a sucker for profound, intellectual connections between individuals and coupled up with the fact that I am completely unable to think objectively when it comes to The Chaos Walking, this book/story just managed to hit the soft spot I have for the Spackles in my heart.
The portrayal of Misstress Coyle came as a bit of a surprise, whether a pleasant one or not, I won't be saying in this revi
Jim C
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story that is part of a series. Goodreads has this listed as #2.5 but I believe this is a prequel to the second book. That being said, I do agree with Goodreads that the second book should be read before this one as a character we met in the second book plays a pivotal role in this book. In this one, Declan who is human loves a Spackle which is the indigenous inhabitants of this planet. Declan's people including his mother doesn't agree with this union.

For a short story it is ext
Siobhan
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful short story. In fact, it is my favourite short story in relation to the series.

It’s so nice to be able to see events that take place prior to the events we’re watching unfold in the main books, so nice to see characters from the past. Whilst it was nice to see characters from the main trilogy appear within this story I found myself enjoying the new characters more.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say I loved these characters more and would love to find out more about them and wha
Tania
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
The town had started with optimism, moved into defiance, before slowly, slowly, slowly collapsing into defeat.

Another lovely short story in my best-loved dystopian series. Once again Patrick Ness does not disappoint. In this very short installment he manages to paint a beautiful picture of love, give some social commentary and deliver a surprise ending to this sad story.
If you have not read Chaos Walking: A Trilogy, it's definitely time to remedy it.
Izzy
I didn't think a 40-page novella would make me cry.

This series keeps surprising me.

(If you'd like to read this and the other two novellas of the series, they're all available for free on the Chaos Walking website!)
Denisse
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet. Patrick Ness knows what he's doing. Short but powerful, a great story and an interesting view of an important character in the Chaos Walking sequels.

Susy
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short story, especially about Declan, but it also gives a bit of background information on Miss Coyle's character making me seeing her through different eyes than after The Ask and Answer...
John Velo
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This novella was great! It provides its readers with a history of how things were before the big Spackle vs Humans war. Exactly 13 years before The Knife of Never Letting Go. And just wow. Patrick Ness, you're too good!

Totally shipping Declan and Ti. I didn't see this kind of relationship coming! Though I can't help but wonder where do they fit in at the present time of this series' story.

Loved the backstory of Mistress Nicola Coyle too.
Jenn
Wow, in less than 40 pages Ness managed to capture both the brilliance of falling in love and the heartbreak of losing everything. I think I may have liked this more than the actual books themselves. A forbidden love story of a human and a Spackle - both turned away by their people for their feelings. And wow, that ending. Not at all what I expected!
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I was really mad at first and now I’m like I don’t know how I feel I still hate Mistress Coyle and I hope to God we see Declan again
Nicole
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a quick novella that is part of the chaos walking series and is best read after the second book. I didn't really like this novella much as I struggled to understand what it was on about. Like most novellas they aren't groundbreaking and there isn't much too say
Mariana Quesada
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm usually not the biggest fan of short stories, but this one hit hard.
Mandy
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great little short story in the Chaos Walking series, love this world!
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
Even the novellas from this series were amazing. And this is coming from someone who rarely gives short stories more than 3 stars.
Carrie-Anne
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

I thought this was a nice little novella, it doesn't really tell you much about the Chaos Walking story in general, or give much of an idea why the wars and such happened. But it is a nice little glimpse into a new / different character's life.
Lucy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I really hope that Declan and Ti will somehow find a way to be in the third book. They could change a lot! ❤️

• File N°2491 (Themis Files, #3.5)
  • September Love
  • File N°247 (Themis Files, #1.5)
  • Women of Ice and Fire: Gender, Game of Thrones and Multiple Media Engagements
  • La canción secreta del mundo
  • Life After Legend II (Legend, #3.75)
  • Six Wicked Reasons
  • Greta and the Giants
  • Camp Jupiter Classified: A Probatio's Journal
  • Spell on Wheels (Spell on Wheels, #1)
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Death in the Family (Shana Merchant, #1)
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • A Blue So Dark
  • He Started It
  • Cartier's Hope
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the C

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)