Start by marking “The Wide, Wide Sea (Chaos Walking, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Wide, Wide Sea (Chaos Walking, #2.5)

The Wide, Wide Sea

(Chaos Walking #2.5)

The Wide, Wide Sea is set in the past, at a time before the Spackle War, and we get a first look at the fishing village on the sea where some very important things happen at the end of Monsters of Men.

Best read after The Ask and the Answer but before Monsters.

(again, hints of things to come) - Patrick Ness
Published May 16th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Wide, Wide Sea, please sign up.
Kelli Lang Take note that the half books are only a few pages each, and they can be read for free online. I had no doubt that it was worth it to spend a few…moreTake note that the half books are only a few pages each, and they can be read for free online. I had no doubt that it was worth it to spend a few minutes on each.(less)

Charlotte May
“The world is big. Surely there is space in it for one like you and one like me.”

This was a cute story set 13 years before the Chaos Walking Trilogy. Tensions between the humans and the Spackle were high, many had chosen to leave and travel to Haven for better prospects.

Declan on the other hand does not want to leave, for he has fallen for one of the Spackle and will not leave without her.

This is met with disdain and disgust from his family and neighbours, claiming it ‘isn’t natural’. So whe
C.G. Drews
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, novella
This was just a little bit heartbreaking but also sweet. And showed Mistress Coyle has a heart!! I always doubt it but look at her go! It basically is about this boy named Declan who falls in love with a Spackle girl and everyone is like: oh kill them they be different. Typical humans. I swear, if there's one thing you can count on, it's humans to muck things up. #skillz

And it was too short *sobsob* which is something I say about ALL novellas. But I enjoyed this one a lot more than Lee's novella
karen
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, i carved out my own short story advent calendar as my project for december, and it was so much fun i decided to do it again this year! so, each day during the month of december, i will be reading a short story and doing the barest minimum of a review because ain't no one got time for that and i'm already so far behind in all the things. however, i will be posting story links in case anyone wants to read the stories themselves and show off how maybe someone
Dannii Elle
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel short story to the Chaos Walking trilogy and can be found here.

Set thirteen years before the events that take place in the main trilogy, this might add nothing to the main narrative but opens up the world brilliantly. Declan Lowe and the rest of his community are fleeing from their seaside town to live in the larger city of Haven. Fishing is brutal in the new world, where the fish herd and hunt the people rather the other way around, and they are starving. Hunger matters little
Hamad
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Wow, That ending though!
Ness is a master of plot twists <3
Brigid ✩
Attention Chaos Walking fans! You can read this story as well as "The New World" and "Snowscape" by going here!

Note: If you haven't read the whole trilogy yet, this story is best read between The Ask and the Answer and Monsters of Men.

There are few authors who have the ability to rip my heart out and stomp on it in the span of less than 40 pages.

Damn it, Patrick Ness. Just … damn it.

I w
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS. THIS IS WHY I LOVE PATRICK NESS.

This novella is literally 40 pages long but it is life.

It is 40 pages long and I LOVE DECLAN and want to kind of shelter him from anyone who ever wants to harm him? So in other words can we have a wholeeee spin off series following him pls and thank you.

I know I just said this but this book is 40 pages long and I actually felt?? supsense?? and anticipation??

If you want to deep dive into the novella you can totally analyse and compare the main character's
Ashley Daviau
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this story a tad confusing at first as it featured characters that had not previously been introduced and we were given no context beforehand. Once I managed to understand what was happening and where the story was going, I did end up enjoying it. I thought the idea was interesting and had actually wondered if anything like that might happen. It was also interesting to see the Spackle from a different perspective. All in all I did enjoy this story but at the same time I feel like we coul ...more
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, ya, novella, z2015
A really nice short story! I always wondered whether people ever fell in love with Spackle and I'm happy I got to see that it did happen. I loved Declan and Ti's story and now I want to know what happened next! Great writing as per usual by Patrick Ness. I also feel like Patrick Ness is writing these short stories because he genuinely wants to give us different insights into the world he created. Sometimes I think authors just write short stories, other novellas (etc) to make more money or to bl ...more
Katie.dorny
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I never imagined a story like this one for the chaos walking trilogy. I want a prequel and sequel to this short story!! It's so interesting and an angle I never thought of.
Stella Chen
I knew sort of what I was getting into with Snowscape, which happens after Monsters of Men, but The Wide Wide Sea was a complete surprise. Tears were shed, hearts where torn, and once again I was reminded of how evil (and brilliant) Patrick Ness is.

This story was touching, and I really light it shed on certain relationships the readers might not have thought of.

Patrick Ness, I declare you The King of Heartaches.

I still haven't recovered from what you did to me with the rest of your books and now
- ̗̀ jennet ̖́-
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I never thought a human and a spackle could fall in love, but here I am. Wow.
Phoenix
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book softened up my cold, callous heart and stomped over it like an overripe tomato.
I have always been a sucker for profound, intellectual connections between individuals and coupled up with the fact that I am completely unable to think objectively when it comes to The Chaos Walking, this book/story just managed to hit the soft spot I have for the Spackles in my heart.
The portrayal of Misstress Coyle came as a bit of a surprise, whether a pleasant one or not, I won't be saying in this revi
Siobhan
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful short story. In fact, it is my favourite short story in relation to the series.

It’s so nice to be able to see events that take place prior to the events we’re watching unfold in the main books, so nice to see characters from the past. Whilst it was nice to see characters from the main trilogy appear within this story I found myself enjoying the new characters more.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say I loved these characters more and would love to find out more about them and wha
Tania
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
The town had started with optimism, moved into defiance, before slowly, slowly, slowly collapsing into defeat.

Another lovely short story in my best-loved dystopian series. Once again Patrick Ness does not disappoint. In this very short installment he manages to paint a beautiful picture of love, give some social commentary and deliver a surprise ending to this sad story.
If you have not read Chaos Walking: A Trilogy, it's definitely time to remedy it.
Izzy
I didn't think a 40-page novella would make me cry.

This series keeps surprising me.

(If you'd like to read this and the other two novellas of the series, they're all available for free on the Chaos Walking website!)
Denisse
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet. Patrick Ness knows what he's doing. Short but powerful, a great story and an interesting view of an important character in the Chaos Walking sequels.

John Velo
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This novella was great! It provides its readers with a history of how things were before the big Spackle vs Humans war. Exactly 13 years before The Knife of Never Letting Go. And just wow. Patrick Ness, you're too good!

Totally shipping Declan and Ti. I didn't see this kind of relationship coming! Though I can't help but wonder where do they fit in at the present time of this series' story.

Loved the backstory of Mistress Nicola Coyle too.
Jenn
Wow, in less than 40 pages Ness managed to capture both the brilliance of falling in love and the heartbreak of losing everything. I think I may have liked this more than the actual books themselves. A forbidden love story of a human and a Spackle - both turned away by their people for their feelings. And wow, that ending. Not at all what I expected!
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
Even the novellas from this series were amazing. And this is coming from someone who rarely gives short stories more than 3 stars.
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
PATRICK NESS, YOU TRICKSTER.
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I was really mad at first and now I’m like I don’t know how I feel I still hate Mistress Coyle and I hope to God we see Declan again
Lucy
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I really hope that Declan and Ti will somehow find a way to be in the third book. They could change a lot! ❤ ...more
Stephanie Diaz
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THESE EXISTED UNTIL NOW
Jade (Bedtime Bookworm)
This review was originally posted on Bedtime Bookworm ** This is a novella in the Chaos Walking series. Even though events in this book take place long before the beginning of the series, it's best to be read between the second and third book. This review may contain spoilers for previous books in this series. **

Amazing!
It never ceases to amaze me how Patrick Ness can pull at my heartstrings. I loved this novella SO MUCH!! This novella (mostly) doesn't have anything to do with the character
Phoebe Campbell
25th February 2019: 2★

It was nice to see a different side of Mistress Coyle which we never saw in the trilogy & Declan and Ti are so cute - I would love to have more of them and what happened after this!
cyborgcinderella
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a neat little tidbit after all that happened in The Ask and The Answer. I liked getting a different perspective on the world these people live in and especially what happened with the spackle.

I thought this story was really cool and gave neat insight into how the spackle interact with people. I also liked getting a little bit more romance than what we're given in the main story.

However this was just as sad as the main stories have been, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I would've liked
Ken
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to read some Patrick Ness once he was announced as lead writer on a Doctor Who spin off called ‘Class’.

Chaos Walking is a trilogy of books set in a colony world, all males have the ability to hear other people and animals minds after a viral germ attack.
The story is told through 12 year old Todd’s viewpoint.

It’s a fast paced but violent series, it’s dark but thrilling.
The use of telepathy is brilliantly achieved with the various spellings of words with different characters.

Highly entert
Jean Claudia (Bookish Poetess)
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I'll give you up. If I have to. If it keeps you safe."
"But what makes you think I will give you up?"

A different kind of love from two different species. It's bittersweet. It's a love story of 'us against the world' kind of feel. A love enough to stop the world. And I've seen the kindness of Mistess Coyle! I feel a little more symphatetic to her.

Anyways, I really wanted to know more about Declan and Ti's lovestory. I found myself demanding for more these past few days, huh? Jeez. I can never get
Kaethe Douglas
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
July 18, 2014

Not too spoilery, but best read in its proper place after The Ask and the Answer

It's delightful when authors are as good with short as with long forms, and I really, really love that writers are filling in episodes and/or exploring other characters from their own books.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Aligned (Immortal Essence, #0.5)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, November 2013
  • Portrait of a Donor (Starters, #1.75)
  • The Most Precious Memory
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Darla's Story (Ashfall, #0.5)
  • Thistle & Thorne
  • A Calendar of Tales
  • Roses and Bones: Myths, Tales, and Secrets
  • The Sign of the Jaguar (Corpus, #1.5)
  • The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade
  • Exerpt: The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #0.1)
  • Other Worlds
  • Natural Selection (Adaptation, #1.5)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)
“We would do what we must. The world is big. Surely there is a space in it for one like you and one like me.” 9 likes
Do you not wonder sometimes, she showed now, sadly, if in some ways they are correct? That we are asking too much of the world?
“No,” he said. “They’re the ones who are asking for too little.”
6 likes