Start by marking “As the Crow Flies” as Want to Read:
As the Crow Flies

As the Crow Flies

Not every prize is all it’s cracked up to be.

I am Crow, and I am a thief.

Not just any thief, mind, but the best and most famous thief in all the glittering empire. Ask anyone. Ask Tanris, who’s hunted me all these years and never pinched so much as a tail feather.

Ask Baron Duzayan, the scheming wizard who convinced me to steal a myth.

I always said you couldn’t trust a wiza
Published May 10th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published December 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about As the Crow Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Crow Flies

A.E. Marling
If you love thieves, dragons, and thieves stealing dragons, then you may love As the Crow Flies. The story reminds me of Dresden Files by Jim Butcher in the sense that it's first-person fantasy, but author Robin Lythgoe takes us to another world where the master thief, Crow, is coerced to work alongside the law-man who has dogged him for years. Together they must steal a dragon egg for a wizard or see their loved ones perish. For Crow, "loved ones" of course refers primarily to himself.

Crow and
Mike
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I do love a good rogue, and this book offers one. Though let down a little by editing issues and a lot by the female characters, overall it was enjoyable and well-written if I overlooked those factors.

Editing issues first. It's written in a literate, intelligent style, which makes the problems that much more vexing. There are only a few, but they are pervasive.

Firstly, apostrophe placement in phrases like "servants' entrance" and "merchants' quarter". I've just given the correct placements (sin
L.K. Evans
I LOVED IT

What a surprisingly fun, engaging, and addictive read. I wasn’t planning on liking this book. I guess I hadn’t heard much and my expectation was low. So when I found myself irritated by interruptions, I realized it was blowing past those low expectations.

Be warned, the plot isn’t terribly unique. A thief is blackmailed into helping a baron so as to save his kidnapped love. So why did I love it so much?

First and foremost, I can honestly say I loved the voice of Crow. That’s what drew me
Traci Loudin
Proof that indie authors can create compelling stories with cool endings and no typos! This is a rather unique fantasy, with a heist story embedded in it. While it's told from first person, I enjoyed the narrator's voice enough to keep reading.

One thing that bothered me about the book is that the two main characters are male, the villain is male, and the only female character who's not tertiary is a mute who cries constantly. I thought maybe part of that was just the perception of the somewhat
M. Joseph Murphy
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the Crow Flies is a solid, entertaining epic fantasy. It hits all the right notes at exactly the right time. I can easily recommend this took to anyone who likes the fantasy mixed with comedy, tragedy, magic, dangerous heists and, yes, a dragon.

I received As the Crow Flies in exchange for a review. That means I have to read the book whether I like it or not. I read through fairly quickly mostly because I couldn't put the book down.

Brief Synopsis

Crow is a thief pulling one last heist before he
Tammy J Rizzo
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I received this book free in exchange for a review. Having read the book, here's my honest review:

I thought this book rocked! The main character, Crow, was smart and snarky, and very funny. Living in his head was a real hoot. Of course, he seemed to have superhuman stamina, keeping on keeping on with injuries that would have put me in a hospital bed, but hey, it is quest fantasy - you expect your heroes and your antiheroes to be, you know, heroic.

Crow's characterization was bril
Nate Philbrick
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic story with one of the most entertaining protagonists I've read in a long time. The witty dialogue and wry humor is brilliant. My only "complaint" is that the plot pacing felt a bit slow at times. I seriously recommend this book!
C.M. Lance
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. Fans of Jonathon Stroud's Bartemeus or Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan will love Crow. He's a witty, confident, competent scoundrel. His companions, although unwanted by Crow-he works alone, add an extra texture to the story.
Kerry Alexander-Hall
This tale commences with the protagonist,’The Crow’ narrating his own story as he sees it, with a supercilious attitude to his life and his situation. The fast paced action springs to life as Crow tries to escape from his latest bout of thievery. Not the smartest person to steal from, a notorious Wizard that is masquerading as the mysterious Baron Duzayan. But, the things men do for love, you see, they must show their metal and build bridges, thinking this is how to win loves heart. In this case ...more
Patricia Reding
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Madeline, Isabelle
Shelves: reviews
AS THE CROW FLIES tells the tale of Crow, a witty, sarcastic thief who steals your heart from the earliest pages. Truly, there are so many things to love about As the Crow Flies, that it is hard to know where to begin.

The author’s characters are neatly drawn and are given quirks and manners of speech that are unique and consistent. The reader will never forget that Crow is a thief, for if not his first, then his last thought in nearly every situation in which he finds himself, will be Crow’s con
Leah Speller
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adventure!! From the very beginning to the very end! I loved the main character, Crow. He had a way about him that matched his monicker. Because of this, I fell in love with this character immediately. His actions, the way he thought about his next move and what he thought about those chasing him made me laugh. Because of this, I was caught in the story hook, line, and sinker. I could not wait to find out what was going to happen and how he was going to get his big payback.

Robin has told
Kristie Kiessling
An excellent, epic read! Lythgoe's world building excites. Her attention to detail is spot on. This tale is full of magic and mythical creatures sure to intrigue and delight. There is just enough mystery to engage the audience and keep pages turning until the satisfying end. The action is fast-paced, the characters believable to a wonderful degree.

Crow is so arrogant and sometimes annoying! I didn't like him at first, but I was captured by the story and his supporting, well rounded cohorts (espe
Férial
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh it was such a good read ! Crow, the main character, deserves to be aquainted with.

I love how the author has brought the changes in his (Crow's...are you following ?) way of thinking, of dealing with others. It was done delicately. The descriptions were not boring and apart from the first part (before the journey starts) that I found a bit too long (though enjoyable), I have loved this read.

If you want a moment (or 10) of fun, action, magic (and deep feelings), I recommend this read.

One thing
Jan farnworth
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the Crow Flies is a solid, entertaining epic fantasy. It hits all the right notes at exactly the right time. I can easily recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy mixed with comedy, tragedy, magic, dangerous heists and, yes, a dragon. The first-person feel of this book totally fits and is exactly what you need when you want a fun, light read.

The whole time you are turning the pages just to see what blundering accident or adventure will befall Tanris, Crow, Girl and Not an Egg. You are
Leeland Artra
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A twisted tail of a master thief's "retirement." Wizard, Guard, Cat, Horse, Girl, and Fun (for the reader) poor Crow. I love playing hyper intelligent thieves in video games and role playing games. And Crow, the novels 'hero' is just such a character, at the pinnacle of his career. Just as he is ready to retire into a life of luxury well earned everything goes sideways. Wizards, ghosts, arch-rival detective/guard/soldier, cats, horses, rain, and horribly annoying events spin out of his control. ...more
KK
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Crow is a freelance thief, possibly the best freelance thief ever, or so he would like you to believe. How then, has he been forced to take a seemingly impossible job from a wickedly devious man? Lives are at stake -- most importantly Crow's own life -- and the clock is ticking.

This is SUCH a nice book! The pace is just right, the humour is frequent and well placed, and the struggling relationship between Crow and Tanris is very entertaining.

If you like the nicer side of fantasy, and/or authors
Alex Stargazer
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of High Fantasy
Recommended to Alex by: Robin Lythgoe

As the Crow Flies was recommended to me. This is unusual: it is usually I who recommend books, especially if they’re my own. In this instance, the opposite occurred—I was recommended a book, the recommendee being none other than the author herself. I suppose she would be a little opinionated in that though.

Anyway: onto the book. It’s actually rather good—and I don’t say that lightly, being an angry competitor fellow writer. I was most immediately struck by the writing (indeed it was why I was so

Matthew Keith
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From http://matthewkeithreviews.blogspot.com

As the Crow Flies is, without a doubt, one of the greatest epic fantasy adventures I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The story follows a professional thief whose name, appropriately, is Crow. Flitting from rooftop to rooftop, he plies his trade in a large city without fear or reservation. He is a master of his craft, self-proclaimed as such, but we also see through the merits of his success that he truly is a gifted little prowler. Mostly, thoug
Moira Katson
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
As the Crow Flies is, at the heart of it, an adventure tale centered around the scrappy and self-sufficient Crow, a renowned thief. His enemies (to wit, a law-keeper named Tanris), his major weakness (his love for a dancer named Tarsha), and one fairly psychotic wizard (a noble named Duzayan), have all collided, sending Crow traipsing off into the middle of nowhere after a magical artifact, with a poison-ensured deadline on his activities, and his least favorite person (Tanris again) as an unwil ...more
Raymond Bolton
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Do you love bad boys? Do you love scoundrels? Robin Lythgoe's As the Crow Flies will certainly give you reason to. After her cat burglar, Crow, is caught and thrown into prison, his heretofore ideal life of love and reapportioned riches is transformed forever. For better or worse is for you to find out as his imprisoner, a wizard of the most evil bent, sends him on a mission to steal a dragon's egg. To insure Crow will indeed find, then return with the object of his quest, the wizard poisons him ...more
Melissa
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
****Received this from Goodreads first reads****

I think this book may appeal to a lot of people, I am not one of those people though. I think that the writing is good and it is a well told story but the characters didn't draw me in and I was ready for the story to be over before they made it half way to where they were going.

I think that the main character, Crow, was meant to be a more likable character than I found him to be. Making a conceited ass likable is possible but not all authors can d
Brandon
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 9.0/10.0
Review Notes: Robin Lythgoe’s As the Crow Flies is a mystical adventure that will take you on the ride of your life. You follow the main characters through a several months journey to do the impossible while making sure he, himself, doesn’t die from poison. I absolutely loved this book. I rated it a 9 out of 10 because I couldn’t put it down. This book came with me everywhere I went and while I had a spare minute, I was reading this book. Magic, Wizards, and more? What else could
Sarah Lawrence
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think it might have just been me, but I had a hard time getting through the first few chapters. It seemed like a lot was going on and I had go back and read a few sections twice. Once they hit the cave and all the magical intrigue started I really started getting into the story...and from there I was hooked. There was a big finale and a hook for a second book! So I've told her husband, who I work with, to have her get on it!! Lol. I can't wait.
Anna
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fan of fantasy. Never really have gotten into any of the ones I've had to read or tried to read. However, this book has made me rethink fantasy novels. It was well done. The characters were great and I really enjoyed reading it.
Jamie Maltman
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I throughly enjoyed this tale told by a very opinionated and sarcastic thief named Crow. It starts with a bang, right into an exciting escapade. Lots of twists and turns, awkwardly touching moments, and general fun throughout, in a very readable ans engaging style. Highly recommended.
Mel Horne
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, sf-f
Many thanks to A E Marling for the recommending this book to me, I did enjoy it. I found it a little wordy at the start, but it grew on me, then it grew some more and in the end I was very pleased to have visited that world and met those characters , and I would like to do so again!
Terralyn Brown Barfield
A good solid 3 1/2 - 4 stars. Loved the story and the characters. Be patient with the wandering and fight scenes, it's worth the trip.
I want to thank the author for this book I received through Instafreebies. I'll be reading more of her work.
Gregory Close
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will copy the Amazon review later, but suffice it to say "read this book and you shall enjoy all he depth and fun and wonder that Fantasy has to offer, while chuckling at the wit and losing yourself in the haracters"

Yeah. That good.
Marla
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was amazing. I loved it from start to finish and it leaves you wanting more. Robin is amazing at describing the picture so it is real in your head. Crow,the main character, was a lovable thief with a wonderful sense of humor. I can't wait to read the next book Robin writes.
Jessica Cowgill
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it was awesome..can't wait to read more! definitely one I'd read again..and again..and again.
The Friday Indie ...: Friday Indie Review, 6/14/13 2 12 Jun 14, 2013 01:52PM
Making Connections: 1129. - AS THE CROW FLIES by Robin Lythgoe 6 29 Jun 01, 2013 09:47AM
Goodreads Authors...: Blog Tour for AS THE CROW FLIES 2 11 Apr 23, 2013 10:33AM

• Gravity's Revenge
  • Animus
  • Maerlin's Storm
  • Awakening (The Ydron Saga, #1)
  • Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)
  • In Siege of Daylight (Compendium of Light, Dark & Shadow, #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • The Fall of Onagros
  • The Sapporo Outbreak
  • The Scars of Ambition (The Cumerian Unraveling, #1)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Irradiated (The Tunnel Trilogy, #1)
  • Chasing the Lantern (Dawnhawk Trilogy #1)
  • Bad Apple (The Warner Grimoire, #1)
  • Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera For a New Age
  • Rosetta (Jim Meade, Martian P.I. #1)
  • Reunification (Two Worlds, #1)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
Robin Lythgoe was born in Maryland, but spent several years in Oregon and did a short stint in upstate New York before winding up in Utah. She married an artist, and together they have four wonderful children. Reading and writing have always been a part of her life, and she is particularly drawn to fantasy. When she was growing up her mother often led expeditions to the library, from which the ent ...more