Start by marking “A Castle of Sand (A Shade of Vampire, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Castle of Sand (A Shade of Vampire, #3)

A Castle of Sand

(A Shade of Vampire #3)

What Sofia has with Derek feels like a sandcastle; temporary and something that the waves of life and time will soon ruin...

Since the return of Gregor Novak, the island has turned several shades darker. His hatred toward Sofia and thirst for fresh blood lead to a brutal war igniting between father and son.

Meanwhile, the hunters are gaining formidable strength and resource
Published June 26th 2013 by Bella Forrest (first published June 22nd 2013)

Jacqueline's Reads
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Sand Castle Stars

A Castle of Sand is book three in the A Shade of Vampire series. This continues Sofia and Derek’s story. Sofia is back in the Shade and you would think all the problems are fixed right? Not so much. Sofia describes her relationship with Derek like a Sand Castle, beautiful but ready to be broken down by a simple tide of water.

Sofia and Derek struggle a lot in this book. Yes, it was happy and good times in the beginning but as more problems arise the couple find it hard to be to
April
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book sucked me and then left me wanting more.

Sandcastles always fall........ with each book the story just keeps getting better and better. The author keeps you on your toes with all the twists and turns and I love it. Just when you think the story couldnt get any better.... it freaking does. Ive said it once and I'll say it 100 more times, I love blood and guts in my vampire books and movies. Bella doesnt settle on the gory details and my imagination runs wild picturing hearts being ripped
Runningrabbit
Sexual quotient: none
Soundtrack: She's so high https://youtu.be/_ElORM9O-0U
Kindle Unlimited series

We've got a heroine here who is 100% perfect which makes for an impressively boring character and how this series has been stretched out for 15 books is beyond my wildest dreams. We're talking a halo with a little arrow labelled 'I'm Incredible'. This adds up to a character that lacks any credibility. I have to also point out that this YA read is somewhat immature and that's saying something from a
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Wow, I feel like I need to catch my breath. This book is a whirlwind of emotion and action. I gave the first two books 5 stars as well, but, this one is the best of the three. I absolutely love the way the characters have all developed in this book. Ben has finally gotten past his need for revenge and finally accepts the role he is to play in Sofia's life. Then, there is Sofia and Derek. The love and respect they have for one another grows throughout the book. And as individuals they each really ...more
Alaina
....

A Castle of Sand was interesting and had a great start. I like getting to see Sofia and Derek's relationship grow. I also liked getting to know more about Ben and the hunters. The thing's I didn't like were Claudia, Sofia's mother, or that other vampire coven. God, they were crazy. Oh, and the King - Derek's dad. I hated him so freaking much.

The one thing I don't get is why everyone is obsessed with Sofia. Why does every guy need or want her. I just don't get it but oh well. I liked Derek an
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
My edition: Kindle

Pages: 329

Series: A Shade of Vampire #3

Rating: 3.5

Review: So a little bit after I have read the second one I go to see how much this one is and see it is now on Kindle Unlimited as is the rest of the series. I load up my kindle till book 8.

This one started off great. It was in the middle of a battle scene then chapter one goes some time before the battle even takes place. It was kind of slow for me. I was finding myself not really caring about Sofia and Derek. I just want to kn
Sylvia
BELLA FORREST HAS DONE IT AGAIN and has given us a book that clearly will keep you on the edge of your seat. So much action and suspense, with the many twists and turns to keep your head spinning. I absolutely love how this series is panning out and the story just gets more riveting and exciting as we read along. And, just when you think you have all things figured out, Bella throws a curve ball and has you stumped as to what to expect next. Keeps me definitely wanting more and hanging for the n ...more
Erin
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Just when I think Bella Forrest has done her worst at tearing my heart out and putting my nerves on edge, she goes and ups the ante on me! A Castle of Sand brings us right into the heart of the action, suspense, and drama that is leading The Shade toward its fate, with Sofia and Derek taking center stage as the humans and vampires attempt to secure their place in this future. The king’s return threw one roadblock after another into the plans, though, and the hits just kept coming for prince Nova
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
I'm getting more and more into this saga. Each installment brings another twists and it's always entertaining. Yes I know this is not like the best literature out there but the romance is so satisfying and I'm so ready to read the rest of the books.

Great work Miss Bella Forest.
Julia Ash
Reading A Shade of Vampire book series is a little like agreeing to become someone’s girl or boyfriend—enthralled by the promise of adventures to come, only to become disenchanted over time—wanting the sparkle, but lamenting that it’s harder to find.

I’m not quite ready to break up, but the worry in my gut warns of the possibility.

Looking at my go-to checkmarks for an exceptional read, here is why book 3 (A CASTLE OF SAND) earned three stars.

PLOT: This is the book’s saving grace: Human (Sofia)
Katie Jones
SO much happened in this book and I don’t know where to start; Derek annoyed me for a good chuck of the first half, he didn’t seem to be trying very hard to find a solution to the blood shortage & the whole time he wasn’t Sofia was in danger, I didn’t understand, how much more motivation did he need?

I really enjoyed reading Ben’s story, seeing him wake up and grow up was satisfying but also just tragic, it’s easy to forget he’s just this teenage guy who got dragged into this whole mess &
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Ugh! This book was just released, so now I have to wait forever to get my greedy hands on the next book.

A Castle of Sand, is a little more intense emotionally than the other two books, you can tell it's just going to get darker from here on out in Sophia and Derek's adventures. It already has. This book, has many mixed emotions, and a lot of guilt and sorrow, mixed in with some pride, and most definitely lots of love.

Sophia (human) and Derek (Vampire, also prince of the Shade), couldn't be anymo
J. Kahele
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
When Derek's father Gregor returns he is not too happy. He has learned that his son Derek has fallen for a human woman, making him weak, causing him to make poor choices.

Now that Sophia has returned to Derek, there is nothing he won't do to keep her by his side and no one he won't go up against to keep her safe, even his father. Tension builds in the Shade between father and son and Sophia wonders if Derek and her will make it through.

With the third installment, the author takes into the thick
CeCe
DNF third book at 30%. My opinion.

I really wanted to like this series. It had all the components I usually love in my stories...hot alpha vampire, innocent but strong heroine who comes from a family with secrets, drama, and the steam, but it failed me. I think it is in the execution. Something was missing for me and I am not sure what. After a while the story was still continuing, but the characters were just there almost like they were going through the motions they are supposed to go through.
Lisa
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so much better than book 2! Action packed from the very beginning. Lots of questions answered, new characters introduced, new battles and humans actually taking a stand! This series just keeps getting better. I still have one unanswered question. What happened to Vivienne? IS she or isn't she??? Now on to book 4
Mariya-Teodora
I'll leave it for now. I'm not impressed.
Lana Mason
Feb 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE.
It’s me! Back again for more punishment! Actually, people seem to be thinking my thorough reviews are helpful, so who am I to stop now?

Before I get into the book itself, I first have to say the titles of these books are like George RR Martin’s book title’s silly cousins. In GRRM’s books, you get an idea of what’s going on. “A Game of Thrones”: sounds like politics, and it was. “A Clash of Kings”: sounds like fighting, and it was. “A Dance With Dragons”: … ok, so he dropped the ball on that one,
Annie Brewer
 photo IgniteMe1_zpscf61597a.gif

Bella Forrest

photo will_zpsf42110dc.gif

Wow!!!! That was awesome!!!!!! What an ending!!! I was so afraid it'd be a killer cliffie that had me beating down a wall. Now it's just got me desperate to start A Shadow of Light. I'm so excited!!! Each book is just better and better! And after reading the first 5 Vampire Academy books and loving them, I'm finding this series better. Crazy concept. But Derek and Sofia have to be like my ultimate top PNR couple. Shit, they've gone through hell and back and their love is unwaver
texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com
Originally reviewed at http://prufreads.blogspot.com/

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

**Please note, book was gifted by author in exchange for an honest review.**

"You shouldn't trust me, Sofia. I can lose my mind and break you any time."

~Derek

Let's talk cover. The color scheme is gorgeous. I'm not sure how I feel about the guy though. Maybe it's because I have the lead character looking very different in my own head.

A Castle of Sand is the third installment of the A Shade of Vampire series by Bella
Hannah Parsons
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the third in The Shade series and NO SPOILERS here. This book is far better than the 2 books preceding it. The story of Derek, Sofia and Ben continues and this time we have some action.

We start to get a much better feel of the characters and i have begun to like some of the characters from The Shade, i am now totally invested in Derek and Sofia's relationship willing them along but the course of immortal and mortal love never runs smoothly, the year as a harem comes to an end for Derek's
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-bests
It's becoming better and better!

I already liked book 1 and 2 but I definitely loved book 3!

It's full of action, twists and turns and you can never guess what will happen next! I couldn't put it down!

The romance between Derek and Sofia is intense, both trying to live it fully, aware this could be a Castle of Sand. They try to "meet in the middle", to find a way to be together eternally without Sofia being turned and plagued by the hunger.

We discover more about the main characters, their pasts, ho
Amber
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amber by: Bella Forrest
Shelves: ebook, review, arc
WOW! Bella Forrest never ceases to amaze me!! Her work is full of drama, romance and so much more! I love reading her style of writing, its AH_MAY_ZING!! A Castle of Sand is the best yet, in my opinion.

Sofia is caught up in an unknown world that has become her own. She is now with the man she loves and is trying to move on, only there seems to be others who would like nothing more than to separate them and those who would love to have Sofia for their own sick purposes. As if that's not enough So
Iris (Artemis Library)
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 of 5 stars.

Bella throws herself before the lions. Head first never looking back!

Already the third and last book of this lovely Shade series!
Sofia is an amazing character, in one hand terrible what she have to go true but wow what would of be great to be in her shoes. She is strong and knows what she want en of course she is getting it. And by it I mean the amazing Derek.

Book Vamp Jade Williams
I am just a bit further from the half way mark, and although a review is very unusual at this point I just cannot hold back any further. I just cannot "love" this series like anyone else does. Neither can I comprehend why there are 14 books in this series when it could all have been done on 3 or 4 max!

There is not one likable. Everyone is LONGING for someone and no one thinks they are good enough for the person the want to be with or are with.

*gag*

The pointless actions of these characters is ju
Jamie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
So we get a bit better feel of the internal structure of the shade. Also our first real look into the hunter society and The Oasis. I like the human involvement in the shade as things start to change. Just not sure if it is all for the better....
Gregor is horrible! Ugh! I cannot stand his character. Ben finally improves as a character however so that makes up for things. There are several shocking turns in this book for how short it was. With Sofia's family ties every which way, I cannot hardly
Ekaterine
May 15, 2013 marked it as to-read
OMG what a gorgeous cover!!! Oh, Derek is even hotter than I imagined. *swooooon*
Tèo Sip
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow I like the character development of Derek and Sophia. All other characters are also relatable: I may not agree with the “villains” actions but I understand their reasons.
Richa
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, for-review
Originally posted at City of Books

A Castle of Sand is so incredible! I think it's my favourite book of the series so far, for a number of reasons. There's just so much in it, and so many changes. Sofia and Derek's relationship is put to the test, and it's uncertain whether they can get past it. Sofia's mother and father are both back in her life, and that changes a lot too, since they're nothing like she expected. This book, guys... I want to re-read it already! It was that good.

I want to start
Meganm922
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review originally published at Love, Literature, Art, and Reason Book Review Blog

Bella Forrest has done it again! I love this series! A Castle of Sand was amazing and the story just keeps building and getting more complex. If I thought there was nowhere left for the story to go, I was definitely wrong, because I can’t get enough. The plot is incredibly interesting and completely unpredictable. I’m already waiting impatiently for the next installment.

I’m amazed by the character growth in A Cast
Books
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellen-s-reviews
When I started reading A Castle of Sand, it felt like returning to well loved family. This book starts off with the evil Gregor Novak as king of the vampire sanctuary, the Shade. The humans on the island are in mortal danger. Sofia must choose whether she wants to become a vampire or join the other humans at the catacombs and the exiled brother, Lukas, who, together with Borys Maslen, are planning something. None of this is good news for Sofia Claremont and Derek Novak. At the same time Ben Huds ...more

• Salvation (The Captive, #4)
  • Circle of Lies (Red Ridge Pack,#2)
  • Chaos (Unhinged, #3)
  • Dare (Greystone, #2)
  • Heart of the Vampire (Vanderlind Castle, #2)
  • Foreshadowed (The Crimson Bond #2)
  • Time's Forbidden Flower (Forbidden Flower, #2)
  • Crossfire (Darkride Chronicles, #2)
  • Eyes of Ember (Imdalind, #2)
  • Baptism of Fire (Draconi Series, #1)
  • Simmer (Midnight Fire, #2)
  • Path of Destruction (Broken Heartland, #2)
  • Broken Spirits (Scary Mary, #3)
  • Healed (Rebirth, #2)
  • The Vampire Christopher (Blood and Snow, #3)
  • Taken (Ava Delaney #4)
Bella Forrest is a lover of fantasy, romance, action, and mystery infused stories with twists you don’t see coming. She has sold over seven million books since her first novel was published in 2012.

*LATEST RELEASES*:
☞ Darklight
☞ Harley Merlin 11: Finch Merlin and the Lost Map
☞ A Shade of Vampire 79: A Game of Death

Sign up to Bella's New Release email list and you'll automatically be notified as

A Shade of Vampire (1 - 10 of 77 books)
  • A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1)
  • A Shade of Blood (A Shade of Vampire, #2)
  • A Shadow of Light (A Shade of Vampire, #4)
  • A Blaze of Sun (A Shade of Vampire, #5)
  • A Gate of Night (A Shade of Vampire, #6)
  • A Break of Day (A Shade of Vampire, #7)
  • A Shade of Novak (A Shade of Vampire, #8)
  • A Bond of Blood (A shade of Vampire, #9)
  • A Spell of Time (A Shade of Vampire, #10)
  • A Chase of Prey (A Shade of Vampire, #11)
“Let the sandcastle collapse. In its place, I will build a fortress—one that the waves of nature and time could never destroy.” 12 likes
“feels like a sandcastle; temporary and something that the waves of life and time will soon ruin…” 2 likes