Start by marking “Fan Art” as Want to Read:
Fan Art

Fan Art

When the picture tells the story…

Senior year is almost over, and Jamie Peterson has a big problem. Not college—that’s all set. Not prom—he’ll find a date somehow. No, it’s the worst problem of all: he’s fallen for his best friend.

As much as Jamie tries to keep it under wraps, everyone seems to know where his affections lie, and the giggling girls in art class are determine
Published June 17th 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Fan Art, please sign up.

Elise (TheBookishActress)
it's really amazing that it's been almost two years since I read this and I still hate it so much

So here's the thing: the attitude of this book was incredibly fetishistic. Some of the comments about gay guys genuinely freaked me out. I've never read an lgbt romance that made me feel so sure the author was straight. Is this how the author thinks lesbians act around gay guys? Is this really how Sarah Tregay thinks?

So there are two lesbian characters in this book. [No bi characters. What's a bis
Blythe
I hated this book a lot, and so did my co-bloggers Ellis and Mel. Here's why:

Ellis: This book was just terribad.

Blythe: I think it might be the worst book I've read this year.

Ellis: Definitely one of the most infuriating.

Mel: I didn't hate it as much as you guys did, but definitely terrible in general. Definitely the worst LGBTQ+ I’ve read.

Blythe: Absolutely the worst LGBT I’ve read. I can't imagine there being any other LGBT novel out there worse than this, honestly.

Ellis: Maybe one with a bun
Glass
description

description

It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die. Little Agnes from Despicable Me told the best words ever and they can be used to describe the cuteness of new book by Sarah Tregay. I think I melted several times while I had been reading Fan Art.

Why is this book awesome?

- Because of the topic. Being in high school is tough as it is, but being a gay in high school can be even worse, especially when your classmates don't approve (to say it nicely) who and what you are.

- Because it is sweet love story and not anot
Giselle
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
Adorable and very light; a perfect book for reading while I was on the road to BEA. While I had minor problems with this one, it was overall a real heartwarming love story that left me with a smile on my face.

Jamie is gay, and it seems like everyone knows it except his crush, Mason - who also happens to be his best friend. From the beginning, I could tell this was going to be a fun-frustrating kind of read with a lot of longing and a lot of heart. Although it's not exactly the most unique book
Thomas

Another well-intentioned book that makes me want to apologize for not liking it. People might assume that I feel disappointed with Fan Art because of its light, breezy nature, but I would disagree - I love Sarah Dessen, Stephanie Perkins, and even the occasional Deb Caletti. Fan Art had issues separate from its tone that prevented me from losing myself in its cute, lighthearted plot.

I found Jamie's narrative disconcerting and at times offensive. The protagonist of our story, Jamie spend
caren
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This book, ya’ll. I am so glad the YA genre has it (or will have it soon). I know it’s not the first to approach the LGBT subject, and that it won’t be the last, but I still want to commend Sarah for putting Jamie’s story out into a genre dominated by hetero relationships. The simple fact is that there are kids out in our world who need these kinds of books. Kids who are facing the same kinds of decisions and situations as Jamie, and who might need that little extra push to come out of the close
Melanie

Blythe, Ellis and I discussion reviewed this on the blog here.

Things we talked about:
- how this book is the worst LGBTQ+ book ever
- except if there was another book about a bunch of Jamies (who is the MC). Man, that'd be a nightmare.
- includes the letting out a breath I didn't realise I was holding sentence in the FIRST CHAPTER. It was a sign!
- We all agree Jamie is the worst about a million times. He frets over nothing and judges people. He hates on girls for no reason.
- Dialogue was
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

“We aren’t some fictional couple you can slash together. We’re people. Real people!”

I came across this book while randomly scrolling through Edelweiss and it felt like I had hit the jackpot. Before we carry on, I think it’s somewhat important to explain what I just said. I once saw a video on youtube that got me thinking. The video had me hooked on to the idea of a guy trying to come out to his best friend and trying to tell him that he
Ellis
So. Blythe, Mel and I all hated this book, because of quotes like:

I never had baby dolls, never played dress up in my mom's high heels, and never wanted to join the cheerleading squad, so it wasn't like my mom knew I was gay.

Because there's only one way to be gay, right?

"Woo-hoo!” Challis leaps off her desk and opens her arms as if she's going to hug me. But then she stops, as if she thinks twice. I wipe the unintentional girls-are-icky look from my face and open my arms.

Because, as a gay guy, y
4.5 stars.

Sarah Tregay’s Fan Art is a hopeful and charming coming-of-age YA novel about the experiences of first love, coming out, and those last, nerve-wracking days of high school that lead to an uncertain future. Readers of all ages will be able to connect with this novel and the characters, no matter their sexuality.

The novel follows Jamie Peterson, a seventeen year-old closeted boy who is about to graduate from high school with one major problem: he is in love with his straight best friend
Claire
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt-girls, lgbt-guys
Very mixed feelings about this one.

A cute story, I guess, with likable characters, solid writing, plenty of tension, and very sweet romance. Interracial couples are always great. Nice to see a book about non-bi queer teens that acknowledges the existence of bisexual people.

The ending did feel rushed and not entirely satisfying. After all of Jamie's angst, it was anticlimactic that (view spoiler)
Debbie Narh
good

Everyone has a weak spot for a certain genre of books. While my 'me' books are realistic with teens that have serious, life threatening problems, I have an unbelievable weak spot for GLBT, more specifically gay boys. I don't even fucking know why or how this came to be but it is what it is. Anyway, moving onto the book, Fan Art is a hit or miss type of book. It's cute and light, with some deep undertones however, it's also judgemental and stereotypical. For me, this story was a miss that was al
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Jamie loves Mason, and he doesn't even know how he can tell him. When fangirls from the Art club decide to create a comic strip that wholly resembles the two, that's when Jamie gathers courage to tell his best friend the truth. That he's gay and in love with him. Will he accept him or not? Fan Art was a cute little contemporary story that had
Bárbara
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was a cute, fluffy story as far as the main character is concerned.
Jamie is a relatable character with a particularly complex story- and Mason is a nice complement to it all.

The reason for my lower rating is the girls. Their behaviour is creepy and inexcusable, no matter how many apologies there were. The fetishizing factor was disgusting.

Overall, it was a fun, entertaining read, but unfortunately I think I'm too old to have enjoyed it properly. May work much better with people at least 10
Gabriel "Sempere"
Adorable ☺☺ ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, I absolutely loved it!

First of all, I love the main character. Jamie is adorable, and then when he has that crush on Mason and can't figure out how to tell him that he is gay and likes him...well, that makes him double adorable. I also love Mason, and I also liked Eden. And felt sorry for her as well!

My favorite scene was probably one of the last ending scenes. (view spoiler)
Michelle Wrona
DNF @ 50 pages

WHAT HAPPENED? I expected great things about this book... but then at the same time, I expected bad things as well. There were mixed reviews all around, but I am so sad to have uncompleted it.

What was I supposed to do or say? For the 50 pages that I read, I found that nothing was happening and it was a no-plot story. It had the potential to become a favourite, I could see it like that, but it ended up totally boring and unimposing.

Fan Art was diverse. That was probably the only
Iz
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
God, that was just adorable.
My mind is full of "aaaaaw"'s and "asffdjkksjja"'s.
I feel like the giggling-geek-art-girls from Jamie's class.
This was a really fun, light and easy read.
I took my mind off my life and sent me to Jamie's, with his adorable family (I loved his mum.) and fangirling classmates and his secret crush on his best friend, Mason.
I really enjoyed reading about him, his struggles felt so real and oh my, he IS SO ADORABLE.
I admired his strengh, the way he fought for what he bel
Oda Renate
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, lgbtq
This book reminded me of Simon vs the homosapiens agenda, it had that cute gay romance story yet off course its not completely similar. Also this one was out first.
The title makes you think its focus is fandoms and fan art which it is not, yet the title is not a bad one. It fits the story.
The summary at the back just tells you the start of the book which I suppose is good that means it does not spoil you which it does not.
Read it or regret it!
Ornella (Nyx)
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I'm not entirely sure how to review this, mostly because it was just okay. A nice enough, cute read.

It didn't stand out.

Yes, it was enjoyable, but in that very superficial way, that once you are done, or take a long enough break between reading you pretty much forget about it.

Cute read, but not memorable.
bee
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book seemed more to me like a bad fanfiction written by a thirteen year old than a published book by an adult author. It was appalling, it was creepy and fetishized m/m relationships...Extremely disrespectful to gay and bisexual men and the LGBT+ community as a whole.
Pia

RTC later
I can't think straight when it's 4.30 am
Hannah (fullybookedreviews)
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary-fic
I unashamedly adored this one. ADORED IT.

No, it wasn't flawless, but dammit, I was just so charmed to read an LGBT book with a happy ending. So many times in mainstream media, the gay character is always the token sidekick, or always ends up with some tragic event happening killing any chance of a HEA.

But Fan Art dealt with that age-old dilemma - falling for one's best friend. Except this time, its doubly-difficult because Jamie's crush is a seemingly straight dude who he's been best friends wi
Avery (ThePagemaster)
Just a cute, light, fluffy, cutesy/fartsy, coming(out) of age story. If you look past the typical high-school politics/settings/blah-blah-blah of a YA contemporary, it's a nice in-between read if you're in a slump or just finished a series and need a quick pick me up.
Jamie was me in high school: a quiet, nerdy kid that's sorta-friends with everybody, wants to be giving, but forgets it's ok to be selfish from time to time. I will say a couple characters pissed me off, besides the 'cookie-cutter,
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
"There are three ways to say, I love you, man.

The first one is an announcement, said at full volume and often accompanied by a swear word. It’s sort of Thank you, sort of You’re cool, with a little And damn, you make me look good thrown in. This is how Kellen said it.

The second one is a diss, said with four and a half tons of sarcasm and most likely a reference to the father, son, or Holy Ghost. There’s no sort of about it. It means I hate you right now.

The third one comes wrapped in caution ta
Ashley
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze — Book reviews & blogging tips

Fan Art was adorable!

Even though I've never been in his situation, I totally connected with Jamie! He's 'out' to his parents, but can't come out to Mason because he's afraid that it will change their friendship (for the worse). I completely understood his reasons and his hesitation. I felt the full weight of the decision coming down on him! If I were in his shoes, I think I would have been equally terrified to come out to my best friend. For some reas
Lauren Stoolfire
I read an ARC edition picked up from a used book sale.

Rounded up from 3.5 stars.

Jamie, a senior in high school, has a problem. He's fallen for his best friend, Mason. He knows that if he were to reveal his feelings, chances are very high that the whole situation would end in heartbreak. Also, he hasn't come out to anyone at school yet, only his mom, but it seems like a lot of the girls in art class have already figured it out and want to help set them up. Jamie's worried that when he does come o
Javi
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite a pleasant surprise. The story has been told before in multiple forms : a still-in-the-closet high school student struggling to come out, and especially to his straight best friend ( or is he?) But after reading so much crap from John Green, it's always a welcome break to find someone who will take the time to develop credible teenage characters, will all their awkwardness and insecurities, teenagers who speak as such and not like pretentious wannabe poets. We were all teenag ...more
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Started out as your run of the mill coming out story and turned into a pretty cute romance. Unfortunately? The plot was MASSIVELY predictable. I guessed pretty much everything that was going to happen. (Then again, I've read a boatload of coming out stories over the years.) It wasn't much of a surprise.

Things I liked: even though this was primarily gay, the two other major characters were both lesbians and got together in the end - usually in coming out stories there's just the main character an
Stacee
This was absolute perfection.

Loved Jamie, loved Mason, loved every single word. Well, except the use of that other f-word that's not fuck.

This story is fantastic and definitely needed to be told. I can only imagine this is what kids are actually going through these days. Jamie's mom was fabulous. I enjoyed her support [and Frank's party] throughout the book.

The ending? Gah, it was absolutely perfect. I probably reread a couple of scenes a few times before I could continue.

I can't wait to get
  • Exile (Exile, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • No One Needs to Know
  • Guy in Real Life
  • The Summer I Wasn't Me
  • Wicked Games (Wicked Games, #1)
  • Falling From The Sky (Bear Creek, #1)
  • 17 First Kisses
  • My Best Friend, Maybe
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Kiss Kill Vanish
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • Life by Committee
  • Wild
  • One Man Guy
  • Marco Impossible
Raised without television, I started writing my own middle grade novels after I had read all of the ones in the library. I later discovered YA books, but never did make it to the adult section. When I'm not jotting down poems at stoplights, I can be found hanging out with my "little sister" from Big Brothers Big Sisters or stressing over performance classes at a model horse show.

I have both a Bach
“There are three ways to say, I love you, man.

The first one is an announcement, said at full volume and often accompanied by a swear word. It’s sort of Thank you, sort of You’re cool, with a little And damn, you make me look good thrown in. This is how kellen said it.

The third one comes wrapped in caution tape. It is said quietly and on its own, without any adjectives. There’s no ‘sort of’ to this one, either, because you mean it.

Like I did.”
8 likes
“Band geeks are the original,” I explain. “Orchestra dorks are simply copying our amazingly uncool status.” 5 likes