Start by marking “The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty” as Want to Read:
The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty

The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  663 ratings  ·  61 reviews
A new breakthrough idea about how to win customer loyalty from Matthew Dixon, the bestselling author of The Challenger Sale

Everyone knows that the best way to create customer loyalty is with service so good, so over the top, that it surprises and delights. But what if everyone is wrong?

In their acclaimed bestseller The Challenger Sale, Matthew Dixon and his colleagues at C
Audio CD
Published March 18th 2014 by Your Coach In A Box (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Effortless Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Effortless Experience

really liked it 4.00  ·

Cindy
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid advice on customer service, but by the end I found myself kind of oversold. The basic premise - that customer service these days is about making it easy vs making it 'delightful' - is good and the author backs it with solid examples and studies. But I think that the book focused more on the customer 'call center' model and less on face-to-face / customer service driven areas. He does not make this applicable to the restaurant / corner pharmacy / grocery store and that's where much of this ...more
Adam Clark
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more solid business books I've read this year. The data-based conclusions are really eye-opening. I believe this is will be considered one of the best business books on customer service and customer engagement to be written in the past 5-10 years. If you don't read this, you will have a big gap in your understanding of customer service and the reality of customer loyalty.
Christopher
I'm glad that it was for bookclub, because the value of this book for me was in the discussions I had with coworkers about applying these thoughts and ideas to other domains, or to things that are specific to what we do.

I 100% agree with the underlying principle, but don't think I would have gotten as much out of it on my own.
Keith Greywood
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for those in business, especially managers, marketers and those involved with customer service. Want loyal customers? Reduce the effort of the customer at every touchpoint.

#effortlessread
Malek
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is your classic business book, where you learn everything you need to know in the first chapter and the rest of the book is examples, reinforcement, and additional detail.

The central premise of the book, that customer loyalty has everything to do with being easy to work with and not necessarily "going above and beyond", is a helpful clarification for most companies. This book focuses on Contact Centers, while the last chapter shows examples of how to apply this to other environments.

I'll a
Alaeddin Hallak
This is some truly groundbreaking stuff in thinking about customer loyalty and customer experience! Backed by extensive research from all around the world, the author effectively make the case of reducing customer effort in order to mitigate customer disloyalty. They emphasize that this is not the latest fad in customer service, but a complete cultural shift that, when executed right, can have great impact on an organization's bottom line. Highly recommend this book for anyone involved in custom ...more
Brian Nicholson
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Effortless Experience provides solid research supporting the pursuit of reducing customer effort as a way to drive loyalty. Much of the research and advice is focused on customer service, although reducing customer effort applies more broadly than that (as at least one chapter addresses). The authors make a good case for using CES (customer effort score) as a way to measure transactional relationship data, even if your company is already using something like NPS (net promoter score) for meas ...more
Tim
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depending on your wants and needs this book might be everything you need in the moment (or more), or not so much. In my case, I found it extremely valuable in regards to a current problem where FCR is an issue. We won't be moving away from that metric but I think we will improve our scores (and performance).
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the thesis here: Forget about delighting customers. If you want their business, make it effortless for them to give it to you. Simple and smart!
Eduardo Xavier
When it comes to customer services, you're going to hear a lot about delight customer. Mathew Dixon present his empirical quantitative research showing numbers that would change out vision about this and focus on customer engagement by mitigating risk of disloyalty. He explores and explain numbers and services scenarios, describing what irritates customers, take our attention to he calls the Next Issue Avoidance, which is about being proactive, taking measures understand people, treat them with ...more
Christie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Highly Recommend. I enjoyed the inspiring perspective, good structure and practical guidance in this book.

"Let Numbers speak" is an impressive characteristic of this book. Those numbers challenge the common belief that customer loyalty is driven by exceeding customer expectations. Analysed with data statistics, Matthew Dixon offered an inspiring perspective of realizing customer loyalty, which could redefine the service philosophy and the role of customer service. “the role of customer service
Chad Horenfeldt
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone in customer support. I came away with it having ideas for the overall customer success function. I believe there is too much emphasis placed on delighting the customer then trying to get the outcomes that drive real value. “Delight” only goes so far. I found the book to have tactical approaches that make compete sense. This isn’t an easy read but they do try by adding great examples. The book also ties the concepts together well at the end. The last chapter helps you ...more
Daryl
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, nonfiction
There was a lot of good information in this book, though it wound up being a bit drier than I had expected after reading the first few pages. It's obviously not for everybody. I'd recommend it for most anybody who's in the position of trying to figure out how to make products easier to use and support. I don't think I'm likely to run out and insist that my company shift its quality metrics to a Customer Effort Score system (what the book touts), but there were many things in the book that did ma ...more
JP
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Backed by a plenitude of research and experience, this book is on its own a worthy response to the belief that a culture of delighting clients is the secret to business success. The authors show how making experiences easier is what is a actually paramount. The also show how framing the expectations around the experience can help, even in cases where it's hard or impossible to further improve the experience itself.
Stephanie Alexis
As someone who is new to the philosophy of reducing customer effort, The Effortless Experience was such a valuable read. I appreciate how the authors used concrete statistics, real-life case studies, and plain language to explain the value of focusing reducing effort and helping customers serve themselves. Highly recommended to those entering the customer service industry and want to make a difference for the organization they're working with.
Drew Clancy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many good insights for customer service leaders and managers. The authors do a great job of capturing the changing nature of customer or client expectations - and how organizations need to react. They begin the book by saying that client delight is the wrong goal (which I disagree with). My sense is they make this point more to get attention as the remainder of the book outlines many worthwhile strategies on how to train customer service teams to delight customers.
Kevin Dunk
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Effortless Experience

Great read. Simple, concise, and chock full of examples and anecdotal evidence. A practical explanation for customer behavior. A pleasant excursion from theory and opinion. Yes these principles are evolutionary and may take significant time and energy, but they are borne out by data.
Tyler Dick
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a good read if you are working or managing a Support center. It gives a counter-argument to the idea of "delighting" customers. The best way we can delight a customer is by making their interaction as easy as possible rather than investing in what we do or say to those customers. Definitely a great idea, with some very valuable lessons.
Justin Melloni
We picked up this book because we are setting up a Customer Support Portal and thought it might help. It gave some good insight, but it seems more like it is oriented to people running a Call Center. It was a little longwinded in trying to get to it's point which is that you want to give the customer a low effort experience. Overall, it was an alright read.
Alison
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, nonfiction
This was a great, quick read on how to think about improving customer service by making it as easy as possible for the customer to do whatever it is they need to do. Lots of good points, neatly distilled.

Started on one flight, finished on another.
Kristine
Since I'm not really the intended audience and read this as part of a management assignment, I'll rate in the middle. I appreciate what the authors are trying to share, but with such a focus on call centers, it's fairly limiting in how to apply the principles outside of that setting.
Cullen Haynes
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great viewpoint on what he customer really wants in the 21st century, not merely to be wowed - but for an effortless experience.

This book, although very numbers based at times, has changed my approach at work.
Tracy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for my job. Some solid advice but “sales-y”.
Annthelibrarian
Micah Medina
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A roadmap of what the new service industry should and will look like.
Jason
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read for anyone in the CX space - helps understand the qualitative and quantitative side of things.
Lindsey
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Important theories for anyone who works in customer service, but very repetitive.
Georg
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ryan
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Anyone in business would get something out of this book though if you run a call center or work in helping customer's issues on your company website, then this book is for you!
Brian
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read from a consumer's perspective, but it's mostly for workers serving customers.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Outside In: The Power of Putting Customers at the Center of Your Business
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Profit from the Positive
  • The Cleveland Clinic Way: Lessons in Excellence from One of the World's Leading Healthcare Organizations
  • Emotional Intelligence for Sales Success: Connect with Customers and Get Results
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype
  • This Is Service Design Doing: Applying Service Design Thinking in the Real World
  • Service Design for Business: A Practical Guide to Optimizing the Customer Experience
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Location Is (Still) Everything: The Surprising Influence of the Real World on How We Search, Shop, and Sell in the Virtual One
“the role of customer service is to mitigate disloyalty by reducing customer effort.” 3 likes
“from a customer’s perspective, when something goes wrong, the overriding sentiment is: Help me fix it.” 1 likes