Start by marking “The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty” as Want to Read:
The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty

The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Conventional wisdom holds that to increase loyalty, companies must "delight" customers by exceeding service expectations. Some focus on dazzling them at the cost of neglecting to solve basic service problems-a big strategic mistake.

Through extensive research and surveys, the authors have concluded that loyalty has much more to do with how well a company delivers on its ba
Audio CD
Published March 18th 2014 by Your Coach In A Box (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Effortless Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Effortless Experience

Cindy
Jul 05, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid advice on customer service, but by the end I found myself kind of oversold. The basic premise - that customer service these days is about making it easy vs making it 'delightful' - is good and the author backs it with solid examples and studies. But I think that the book focused more on the customer 'call center' model and less on face-to-face / customer service driven areas. He does not make this applicable to the restaurant / corner pharmacy / grocery store and that's where much of this ...more
Adam Clark
May 05, 2014 Adam Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more solid business books I've read this year. The data-based conclusions are really eye-opening. I believe this is will be considered one of the best business books on customer service and customer engagement to be written in the past 5-10 years. If you don't read this, you will have a big gap in your understanding of customer service and the reality of customer loyalty.
Alaeddin Hallak
This is some truly groundbreaking stuff in thinking about customer loyalty and customer experience! Backed by extensive research from all around the world, the author effectively make the case of reducing customer effort in order to mitigate customer disloyalty. They emphasize that this is not the latest fad in customer service, but a complete cultural shift that, when executed right, can have great impact on an organization's bottom line. Highly recommend this book for anyone involved in custom ...more
Malek
Jan 16, 2014 Malek rated it liked it
This is your classic business book, where you learn everything you need to know in the first chapter and the rest of the book is examples, reinforcement, and additional detail.

The central premise of the book, that customer loyalty has everything to do with being easy to work with and not necessarily "going above and beyond", is a helpful clarification for most companies. This book focuses on Contact Centers, while the last chapter shows examples of how to apply this to other environments.

I'll a
Tim
Jun 07, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depending on your wants and needs this book might be everything you need in the moment (or more), or not so much. In my case, I found it extremely valuable in regards to a current problem where FCR is an issue. We won't be moving away from that metric but I think we will improve our scores (and performance).
Fred Zimny
Jul 13, 2015 Fred Zimny rated it really liked it

It is now almost 5 years ago that the concept of the effortless experience got some management attention. Scanning Rick Delisli's deck recently, i decided the read the book, published in 2013.

Passing of time often is a fine measure whether concepts are to be considered hyper or should be considered as having high business potential.

For me, the book has such a potential.

In october 2013 Alex Baar wrote this fine summary. Thanks Alex for this and the fine pics of some relevant graphs!

What can I add
Matt Beckwith
Oct 18, 2015 Matt Beckwith rated it really liked it
Lots of great insight and research on the fallacy of merely chasing satisfaction. The concepts of Next Issue Avoidance and, in general, effort scoring, are fairly new and they present customer service leaders with a more robust measure to help drive to better results.

As a 20+ year contact center veteran, I found this book a wonderful read full of new ways to examine the customer experience. Having had success using traditional customer satisfaction and Net Promoter scores it is now time to look
Colleen
Some great points in this book but I'm disappointed that the authors seem to think that experience is the same as customer service. There's much more to customer experience than just service.
Pam Glazier
Jul 08, 2014 Pam Glazier rated it liked it
There's some great concepts about how to approach business relations in this book. Some of the chapters seemed to melt together, though. By the end of it, you are steeped in concepts that are definitely worth having, but it was not structured in such a way that makes it easy to break it down into clear, actionable advices. I recommend using post-it tabs and a highlighter if you wish to use this as a way to checklist out changes to your business approach.

Again, valuable and applicable concepts a
Brian Nicholson
Jul 24, 2016 Brian Nicholson rated it really liked it
The Effortless Experience provides solid research supporting the pursuit of reducing customer effort as a way to drive loyalty. Much of the research and advice is focused on customer service, although reducing customer effort applies more broadly than that (as at least one chapter addresses). The authors make a good case for using CES (customer effort score) as a way to measure transactional relationship data, even if your company is already using something like NPS (net promoter score) for meas ...more
Jess Hollmeier
Feb 28, 2016 Jess Hollmeier rated it it was amazing
So far the best Customer Support book I've read. Solid, hands down examples and advice backed up by research. And finally a book that states clearly that building a strategy based on 'wowing' your Customer is unrealistic bullshit.
The only let down is that, as usual, it's very (maybe too much) focused on phone service and many things said in the book don't necessarily apply to email conversations.
Also some of it is maybe a tad idealistic but not as much as in other books.
All in all still a sol
Jeremiah
Oct 25, 2015 Jeremiah rated it did not like it
I'm probably being too harsh, but it felt like everything this book had to share could be summed up in a single visit to amazon.com and one or two calls into their customer support. There's a lot of research that has gone into this book, and it shows as you make your way through it - unfortunately, all that research didn't seem to reveal any new insights. Additionally, it seemed to spend way too long focusing on call center optimization, even though the book itself identifies the call center's s ...more
Natali
Sep 07, 2014 Natali rated it really liked it
I loved the first half of this book from a data geek perspective. It is kind of like Freakonomics for customer service - it shoots holes in commonly-held notions about customer service in fascinating, data-driven ways. The second part is a lot more about implementation and given that I don't work in customer service, I didn't care quite as much. Good stuff there though.

As a modern day consumer, gosh I wish every company would read and implement these policies! I really, really do!
Patrick Pilz
Mar 06, 2016 Patrick Pilz rated it really liked it
"This call may be recorded for quality purposes."

What ever happens to these records? This book provides the answers. Insights from multiple studies using large groups in different types of organizations are revealed. While the books emphasize lies on call centers and phone service, some aspects of it may apply in the field and in direct person to person situations as well. At times a little monotone, as it really drives home one key aspect as a result of that research.
Timothy Smith
Aug 28, 2014 Timothy Smith rated it liked it
After reading this book on customer service every time I find myself dealing with trying to get help with a product or service I am tempted to ask to speak to the supervisor so I can find out how to send her a copy of this book. The people at Comcast and Express Scripts especially need to read it. Pastors and leaders at Church's could learn a lot from it to help them learn how to better welcome guests too.
Breccan
Jan 19, 2014 Breccan rated it really liked it
Another excellent book from CEB. Essentially arguing against the "delight your customer" sycophants of the world with a wealth of data to back it up this book doesn't cover a lot of ground but what it does cover it covers well.

My biggest issue is that their research as presented in quite a limited relation to large companies with statistically significant call centres. It's too bad we don't have comparable results for the smaller business and start-up end of things, but I suspect the results wo
John Doyle
Jan 30, 2016 John Doyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Dixon makes a persuasive case that customer satisfaction is the wrong metric to manage for B2B firms looking to achieve strong customer loyalty. Instead, his research shows that the best predictor of loyalty is "effort." In other words, how hard do you make customers work to continue their relationship with your firm? The bottom line for proponents of the Effortless Experience framework is that products and services should be developed to minimize friction and annoyances rather than to maximize ...more
Alexis
May 23, 2014 Alexis rated it liked it
Good points, but reading this book was NOT effortless! The repetitiveness and restating of the same concepts throughout the book is overkill. The detailed data should be in the appendix rather than in the chapters. This book could have been reduced to a 10 page HBR article or white paper.
Khanh Le
Oct 18, 2015 Khanh Le rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Open my eyes about customer service when everything changes so fast in this century. Must read if you want to know how to really measure and boost up your system.
Lauren
Mar 28, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read. It writes as a full walkthrough of the customer experience with support, and how to analyze support interactions in a new way. I highly recommend this for anyone who is a part of a customer service organization.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 20, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the thesis here: Forget about delighting customers. If you want their business, make it effortless for them to give it to you. Simple and smart!
Tom McConnell
May 25, 2016 Tom McConnell rated it really liked it
Great book on customer service and debunking conventional norms and understandings.
Catherine Von Bargen
Jan 08, 2015 Catherine Von Bargen rated it really liked it
Good insights into customer experience research
Bill Brown
Jan 20, 2014 Bill Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ipad
This book is a real eye opener for call center operations. The message really resonated with me as a customer—I prefer online and self-service experiences and only go to the phones when the other options fail.
Jonathan Crabb
Nov 23, 2014 Jonathan Crabb rated it liked it
Fairly insightful book on how to dramatically improve customer service. Lots of great research and should be seriously considered by retailers.
John
Dec 21, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Published by someone I like and the company I work for, so I am not objective. But I think this is the most useful exploration of how companies should be thinking about their interactions with customers I have ever read. It is also one of the best uses of my firm's data I've ever seen.
Will
Feb 21, 2015 Will rated it liked it
One very strong key concept, rigorously evidenced through empirical studies. A worthwhile skim. Though it was written for more of a big company readership, there is still material applicable to a startup environment.
Mike Hales
Feb 12, 2016 Mike Hales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights

Loved the models, surveys etc but I was looking for digital examples specifically. There are some but more would have been great for me.
Dominique Egbers
Great information in the first couple chapters, but then I felt like it was stated to death in too many examples and rewordings.
MAHESH NAIK
MAHESH NAIK rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Outside In: The Power of Putting Customers at the Center of Your Business
  • Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is about Help Not Hype
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Redesigning Leadership
  • Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • What Great Salespeople Do: The Science of Selling Through Emotional Connection and the Power of Story
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“the role of customer service is to mitigate disloyalty by reducing customer effort.” 1 likes
“from a customer’s perspective, when something goes wrong, the overriding sentiment is: Help me fix it.” 0 likes