Start by marking “The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty” as Want to Read:
The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty

The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty

A new breakthrough idea about how to win customer loyalty from Matthew Dixon, the bestselling author of The Challenger Sale

Everyone knows that the best way to create customer loyalty is with service so good, so over the top, that it surprises and delights. But what if everyone is wrong?

In their acclaimed bestseller The Challenger Sale, Matthew Dixon and his colleagues at C
Audio CD
Published March 18th 2014 by Your Coach In A Box (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Effortless Experience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Effortless Experience

Start your review of The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty
Cindy
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid advice on customer service, but by the end I found myself kind of oversold. The basic premise - that customer service these days is about making it easy vs making it 'delightful' - is good and the author backs it with solid examples and studies. But I think that the book focused more on the customer 'call center' model and less on face-to-face / customer service driven areas. He does not make this applicable to the restaurant / corner pharmacy / grocery store and that's where much of this ...more
Adam Clark
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more solid business books I've read this year. The data-based conclusions are really eye-opening. I believe this is will be considered one of the best business books on customer service and customer engagement to be written in the past 5-10 years. If you don't read this, you will have a big gap in your understanding of customer service and the reality of customer loyalty.
Christopher
I'm glad that it was for bookclub, because the value of this book for me was in the discussions I had with coworkers about applying these thoughts and ideas to other domains, or to things that are specific to what we do.

I 100% agree with the underlying principle, but don't think I would have gotten as much out of it on my own.
Keith Greywood
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for those in business, especially managers, marketers and those involved with customer service. Want loyal customers? Reduce the effort of the customer at every touchpoint.

#effortlessread
Chris Hofmann
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really a 4.5. I expected to hate this book. I almost wanted to hate it. I don’t like consultants and I’m usually very suspect of the books they publish because they’re typically a long sales pitch. This book didn’t fall into that trap. It also didn’t fall into business book trap of stretching a 25 page point over 200 pages. Each chapter typically offered something new and added value to their central thesis. I also thought it was going to all about selling the metric but as I was thinking “it’s ...more
Sara
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Insightful book based on the premise that the idea of “delighting the customer” is a fool’s errand for most organizations to chase. The truth is most users of your product don’t want to have to reach out for help or to troubleshoot; they just want it to work. This book covers strategies to diagnose where you are inflicting high amounts of customer effort and what you can do to reduce it. Enjoyed this book!
Malek
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is your classic business book, where you learn everything you need to know in the first chapter and the rest of the book is examples, reinforcement, and additional detail.

The central premise of the book, that customer loyalty has everything to do with being easy to work with and not necessarily "going above and beyond", is a helpful clarification for most companies. This book focuses on Contact Centers, while the last chapter shows examples of how to apply this to other environments.

I'll a
Alaeddin Hallak
This is some truly groundbreaking stuff in thinking about customer loyalty and customer experience! Backed by extensive research from all around the world, the author effectively make the case of reducing customer effort in order to mitigate customer disloyalty. They emphasize that this is not the latest fad in customer service, but a complete cultural shift that, when executed right, can have great impact on an organization's bottom line. Highly recommend this book for anyone involved in custom ...more
Brian Nicholson
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Effortless Experience provides solid research supporting the pursuit of reducing customer effort as a way to drive loyalty. Much of the research and advice is focused on customer service, although reducing customer effort applies more broadly than that (as at least one chapter addresses). The authors make a good case for using CES (customer effort score) as a way to measure transactional relationship data, even if your company is already using something like NPS (net promoter score) for meas ...more
Tim
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depending on your wants and needs this book might be everything you need in the moment (or more), or not so much. In my case, I found it extremely valuable in regards to a current problem where FCR is an issue. We won't be moving away from that metric but I think we will improve our scores (and performance).
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the thesis here: Forget about delighting customers. If you want their business, make it effortless for them to give it to you. Simple and smart!
Karthikeyan Muthusamy Sivanandham
I picked this book on the assumption that it would talk about customer buying experience. But, to my surprise ( or lack of proper research), I found that this book was only about after-purchase customer service experience. Hence, I started this book with not much involvement, but only to find myself pleasantly surprised with great insights into nuances of customer service experiences. The are many seemingly simple yet powerful insights discussed in the book.
1) customers are quick to punish bad
Eduardo Xavier
When it comes to customer services, you're going to hear a lot about delight customer. Mathew Dixon present his empirical quantitative research showing numbers that would change out vision about this and focus on customer engagement by mitigating risk of disloyalty. He explores and explain numbers and services scenarios, describing what irritates customers, take our attention to he calls the Next Issue Avoidance, which is about being proactive, taking measures understand people, treat them with ...more
Christie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Highly Recommend. I enjoyed the inspiring perspective, good structure and practical guidance in this book.

"Let Numbers speak" is an impressive characteristic of this book. Those numbers challenge the common belief that customer loyalty is driven by exceeding customer expectations. Analysed with data statistics, Matthew Dixon offered an inspiring perspective of realizing customer loyalty, which could redefine the service philosophy and the role of customer service. “the role of customer service
Chad Horenfeldt
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone in customer support. I came away with it having ideas for the overall customer success function. I believe there is too much emphasis placed on delighting the customer then trying to get the outcomes that drive real value. “Delight” only goes so far. I found the book to have tactical approaches that make compete sense. This isn’t an easy read but they do try by adding great examples. The book also ties the concepts together well at the end. The last chapter helps you ...more
Mike Trigg
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'd put this up there with Matthew Dixon's previous book, the Challenger Sale. This book is equally thought provoking and disruptive to conventional wisdom for customer service leaders as the Challenger Sale was to sales leaders. Though probably not as interesting as a general business book, The Effortless Experience presents a new and compelling way of thinking about how to drive customer loyalty by minimizing the "effort" (measured by "Customer Effort Score") it requires to do business with yo ...more
Daryl
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, nonfiction
There was a lot of good information in this book, though it wound up being a bit drier than I had expected after reading the first few pages. It's obviously not for everybody. I'd recommend it for most anybody who's in the position of trying to figure out how to make products easier to use and support. I don't think I'm likely to run out and insist that my company shift its quality metrics to a Customer Effort Score system (what the book touts), but there were many things in the book that did ma ...more
Stephanie Alexis
As someone who is new to the philosophy of reducing customer effort, The Effortless Experience was such a valuable read. I appreciate how the authors used concrete statistics, real-life case studies, and plain language to explain the value of focusing reducing effort and helping customers serve themselves. Highly recommended to those entering the customer service industry and want to make a difference for the organization they're working with.
Drew Clancy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many good insights for customer service leaders and managers. The authors do a great job of capturing the changing nature of customer or client expectations - and how organizations need to react. They begin the book by saying that client delight is the wrong goal (which I disagree with). My sense is they make this point more to get attention as the remainder of the book outlines many worthwhile strategies on how to train customer service teams to delight customers.
JP
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Backed by a plenitude of research and experience, this book is on its own a worthy response to the belief that a culture of delighting clients is the secret to business success. The authors show how making experiences easier is what is a actually paramount. The also show how framing the expectations around the experience can help, even in cases where it's hard or impossible to further improve the experience itself.
Nathan
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of the book, that minimizing customer effort is key to building loyalty, is a sound one. Certainly, the book makes you stop and reevaluate assumptions concerning customer service.

My one complaint is that it focuses almost exclusively on call centres. Yet, the information contained is fairly easily extrapolated, so I still recommend this book to those looking to increase their level of customer loyalty and service.
Justin Melloni
We picked up this book because we are setting up a Customer Support Portal and thought it might help. It gave some good insight, but it seems more like it is oriented to people running a Call Center. It was a little longwinded in trying to get to it's point which is that you want to give the customer a low effort experience. Overall, it was an alright read.
Kevin Dunk
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Effortless Experience

Great read. Simple, concise, and chock full of examples and anecdotal evidence. A practical explanation for customer behavior. A pleasant excursion from theory and opinion. Yes these principles are evolutionary and may take significant time and energy, but they are borne out by data.
Tyler Dick
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely a good read if you are working or managing a Support center. It gives a counter-argument to the idea of "delighting" customers. The best way we can delight a customer is by making their interaction as easy as possible rather than investing in what we do or say to those customers. Definitely a great idea, with some very valuable lessons.
Calin
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: can-t-finish
I couldn't finish it. It's not that I don't agree with what the authors write or the theories presentated in the book. It was just painful to go through; is not friendly written and it takes a lot of pages to get to the point. I felt I'm wasting my time and my concentration was flying away that's why after half way point I just gave up.
Kristine
Since I'm not really the intended audience and read this as part of a management assignment, I'll rate in the middle. I appreciate what the authors are trying to share, but with such a focus on call centers, it's fairly limiting in how to apply the principles outside of that setting.
Cullen Haynes
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great viewpoint on what he customer really wants in the 21st century, not merely to be wowed - but for an effortless experience.

This book, although very numbers based at times, has changed my approach at work.
Alison
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, ebook
This was a great, quick read on how to think about improving customer service by making it as easy as possible for the customer to do whatever it is they need to do. Lots of good points, neatly distilled.

Started on one flight, finished on another.
Tina
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Very insightful and interesting information/data in this book, however it’s drawn out a bit. I think you could just read the first 2/3rds and have everything you need. Still, the findings were surprising and I’m glad I read it.
Micah Medina
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A roadmap of what the new service industry should and will look like.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Customer Success: How Innovative Companies Are Reducing Churn and Growing Recurring Revenue
  • Chief Customer Officer 2.0: How to Build Your Customer-Driven Growth Engine
  • Outside In: The Power of Putting Customers at the Center of Your Business
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • The Harvard Business Review Manager's Handbook: The 17 Skills Leaders Need to Stand Out
  • Never Lose a Customer Again: Turn Any Sale Into Lifelong Loyalty in 100 Days
  • The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition): How Net Promoter Companies Thrive in a Customer-Driven World
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times
  • Measure What Matters
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • What Customers Crave: How to Create Relevant and Memorable Experiences at Every Touchpoint
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • The Shopping Revolution: How Successful Retailers Win Customers in an Era of Endless Disruption
  • A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas
  • Bleeding Orange: Fifty Years of Blind Referees, Screaming Fans, Beasts of the East, and Syracuse Basketball
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »