Start by marking “Downfall (Sam Capra, #3)” as Want to Read:
Downfall (Sam Capra, #3)

Downfall

(Sam Capra #3)

She is a good mother. She will do what she must to ensure that her daughter Diana has a perfect life, just as perfect as the one they've led for the past seven years.

No matter who has to die.

DOWNFALL

The simplest beginnings can unravel a life. For Sam Capra, it is the moment a beautiful young woman walks into his San Francisco bar.

Sam doesn't want trouble. An ex-CIA agent,
Published January 28th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Downfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downfall

Patrice Hoffman
Downfall is the latest in the Sam Capra series by Jeff Abbott. It begins a few months later from the end of The Last Minute with Sam Capra still balancing his life as a spy/bar owner. He's fighting Mila at every turn to be a normal person that comes home to his young son every night and isn't constantly being in life or death situations. He's fallen into a sort-of routine until a young woman whispers "help" across the bar to him. That one instance changes the course of his quiet existance to a p ...more
Angela
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I have never had the pleasure of reading Jeff Abbott before, but I will tell you this, he now has another die hard fan! I will definitely be reading the rest of his Sam Capra series as well as any other books he puts out! This book was non-stop, in-your-face, brutal, die hard action! There is so much story and so much happening that you are completely engrossed in the book. I could easily see this becoming a movie with say, Jensen ...more
Dani Paschert-ward
I found this third book in the Sam Capra series confusing and implausible. The first two were great and I'm hoping the fourth will also be fast paced and intelligently written.
Gisela Hausmann
I borrowed this audio book from the library because I want to study the writing techniques of thriller writers.
It's not a great book for this purpose. I gave up after chapter 8. Up to that point the book fails to hint at what the bad guy's (Belias's) ultimate plan is. Belias is manipulating ordinary people and one former CIA-agent to kill for him. So far so good, but - why?

I need something to look for, I don't want to collect puzzle pieces that will or won't come together at the end; especially
Jeffrey
What would you do for wealth or power? Would you steal? Would you kill? Would you join a group of like minded people intent on amassing power, fame and fortune through the manipulation of events or the outright death of your business, political or familial rivals.

Jeff Abbott's new Sam Capra thriller is essentially about the lure of such a Faustian bargain. The people who have made the deal with the devil are, in many ways, just trying to get ahead, but they do not care who they hurt in the proce
Dulce
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends-books
As noites quentes dão-me insónia. E com este livro era impossível largar a leitura. Não entra no top dos favoritos, mas gostei bastante deste herói e deste escritor. Como é uma série, vou ter de arranjar os outros para saber o que aconteceu antes.
Muito melhor que os livros Pânico e Medo, que tinham sido experiências menos boas com este autor.
Donna
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex-CIA agent Sam Capra owns 30 bars throughout the United States and around the world but his favorite occupation is being father to his 10 month old son. One evening his is bartending and a young woman darts in asking for help as 2 men pursue her. Of course, he is going to help her and that causes him to get in the big middle of a situation where he digs himself even deeper. He and his handler Mira from the Round Table are pitted against a secret organization that seems to have unlimited power. ...more
Steph
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DOWNFALL is the third book in the Sam Capra series and begins with ex-CIA agent, Sam, living in relative peace, working for The Round Table and enjoying his cover life as owner of a chain of bars across the States. He wants a normal life, and this is as close to it as he’s had in a long while. But his peace is shattered when a young woman fleeing two male attackers rushes into the bar and begs for his help. Sam leaps to her aid, and in the process kills one of the men. As well as bringing him un ...more
Scott
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in Jeff Abbott's high adrenaline series about Sam Capra is definitely one of his best.
This time around - since it's the third book - Abbot can skip spending lots of time explaining Capra's origin story - how he was kicked out of the CIA, ran into one hell of a marriage problem, etc. and focus on what he does best:
tight plotting, fast paced action that makes you feel like you're working hard and running as fast and as far as Sam and others not to mention all the fighting. I like to
Linda
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love Jeff Abbott. The main bugbear I had with the book was that there were whole days that I had too much on and that prevented me from doing any reading. His characters have depth and his novels are action packed. Like a lot of series with recurring characters, you really need to start with book one, but this novel is such that you gleam enough from the story to work out what has happened before.

Sam Capra owns bars all around the world, when a young girl in distress stumbles into the
Jennifer Golden
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The 3rd book featuring Sam Capra and it is action packed and reads like movie script. The characters are easy to love and hate depending on which character you are talking about. There are a lot of good authors and books out there but Abbott knows how to get your attention and hold it the entire length of the book. If you are a spy, thriller and/or adrenaline junkie you must read not only this but everything by Jeff Abbott.

Debbie
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like thrillers
I received this book free from Net Galley in exchange for a review.

This is my first book by Jeff Abbott and it won't be my last. My heart pounded and my pulse raced throughout this thriller. It was very well written story with plenty of twists. The list of suspects for several murders was very long and kept the characters confused leading to the "thrill'.

I would highly recommend this book.
Claire
Sam is an appealing protagonist- this is the first book I have read of Mr. Abbot's Capra series. I will be looking for others.
This installment is a wild ride as Sam takes on the shadowy puppet master of the fates of successful and powerful (because he has made them so) men and women.
Twists, turns alliances and betrayals make this read a roller coaster ride. Definitely a thriller.
Matt
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller novel that kept me interested from beginning to end. I liked how Jeff Abbott was able to continue on with the story of Sam Capra in this novel. After the ending of the previous book I almost thought the story was over. Glad I was wrong. DOWNFALL is the best Sam Capra novel yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and can't wait to read more about Sam Capra in the future.
Carmen
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of action movies
This book is like an action movie in book form. Amazing, and very difficult to do right. It is the third in the Sam Capra series. I recommend reading the first two before this one - they are better read in order instead of alone.
Robert James
Another solid thriller. I think there was too much going on in this one though. It's like the author had all of these ideas and he wanted to cram as much as he could in this one book. However, I still enjoyed it and look forward to the next Sam Capra adventure.
Jennifer Clarke
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it... Good fast moving action that the descriptions make easy to imagine... Just waiting on the next one. But Sam, go get Mila !
Stephen Boiko
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a twist at the end.
Ray Palen
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my review next week on Bookreporter.com.
Ed
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding third book in the series. I hope to see Sam Capra in action for many more years.
James Perkins
This is a rather clumsy thriller, full of clichés (ex-special agent hero, secret societies, menacing Russians, big explosions, unrealistic fights, all-powerful bad guy) replete with plot holes (no explanation of how the secret societies are formed, overly neat solution), and truly awful dialogue that needs a good edit. Written partly in first person and partly in third person, the changes in points of view are rather jarring, distracting the reader from the narrative and providing far too much i ...more
Mehreen
Oh good lord this is a #3 and I haven't read 1 & 2?! I just picked this up at the library without knowing much about the author or the story but I like a good thriller. It didn't drawn me in right away but by Part 2 I was contemplating whether it was more important to go to work or finish this book (I compromised and went in late.) There's a lot going on here between the Belias Network and the Round Table and you don't really get great insight into either, perhaps the Round Table was explain ...more
Kory
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is fairly easy to read and the plot is okay. I found it was getting better and better and then the ending petered out and it didn’t feel climactic at all, which isn’t what I want from a book that’s over 500 pages. There are a few characters, some of which work better than others, but some which I found more interesting than the main character. It’s billed as a Sam Capra thriller but honestly, the story could have worked without him.

The style of the author was…functional is probably the
Katherine Clark
Deeply unfair, so probably a 2 and 1/2. I broke one of my rules, and I started this midseries. I might get the first one, but I"m not sure I will, which is part of why it is a 2 and not a 3. I like it, but I've been reading a number of books lately with this kind of hero (I crave these books) and I prefer the Hellwatch guy or Greaney. Characters weren't well enough developed and it was a bit over the top. But, I am glad I read it. It is nice to have another series to go to if I run out of my fav ...more
Jean
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honestly, I did not like the reader on this Audio. this is the first time this has happen and I am not sure how much it effected my opinion of the book. I really dislike Sam Capria. To me he was too impulsive and all most immature. The whole Janet and Diana affair made no sense at all.
the only two characters I liked were Roger, who was killed off way too soon, and Holly, who was pretty limited but had potential.

The book just was not something I could get my head around and I would not read
Melody
The plot line comes very close to things that seem to be bubbling up in this trumped up world we are in. Might be one reason I can't really embrace this series. Why am I reading them? Because someone gave me a few books way up the chain and I feel compelled, nay, waterboarded to read them in order (and I mean that in two ways) to read the ones on my bookshelf.

I do think one thing that keeps me from liking these more is the narrator in the audio books. He's a bit child-like.
Patsy Collins
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover quote says 'relentless, exhilerating' and that seems fair. If you like a thriller with lots of twists and turns and don't mind some violence, I thoroughly reccommend it. The plot is complicated, but written in such a way that it wasn't too difficult to follow, except where the author wanted to surprise the reader. Downfall easily held my attention to the end
Marcia
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging storyline that I thoroughly enjoyed. I finished an audio version on a Playaway of this book. I was eager to find as many occasions as possible to put in the earbuds and listen. The narrator of this audio version was a good fit for the book. I anticipate finding audio versions (or printed versions if audio is not available) of the other Sam Capra novels!
Kathy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one seemed a bit hard to follow, #3 of Sam Capra. Most of the bad guys are now dead.....I said MOST. This one concerns the deadly network of Belias who seems to want to control the world. There is Belias, Janice, Diana, Glenn and Holly, Felix (still confused about him), Mila, Jimmy, and others.
Brenda O'Toole
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. The action started from the beginning and lasted until the end.. It was filled with twists and turns. A very good read.I recommend this book!!!

I chose this rating as this book kept me guessing from beginning to the end. I highly recommend this book.
  • The Doll (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #3)
  • Blood and Bone (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #3)
  • Summer Indiscretions (Summer Love, #2)
  • Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-Free Recipes to Help You Shine from Within
  • The Samson Effect
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • The Orchard at the Edge of Town (Apple Valley, #3)
  • Out of the Ashes (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #13)
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • Two for the Show
  • When Opposites Attract... (The Barrington Trilogy, #1)
  • Grave Doubts (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #3)
  • The Leviathan Effect
  • A Filha do Papa (Vaticano #4)
  • The Perils of Paulie (Ainslie Brothers #4)
  • Spiral
  • Murder In Missoula
  • At His Service (Playboys of Boston, #1)
Jeff Abbott (born 1963) is a U.S. suspense novelist. He has a degree in History and English from Rice University. He lives in Austin, Texas. His early novels were traditional detective fiction but in recent years he has turned to writing thriller fiction. A theme of his work is the idea of ordinary people caught up in extraordinary danger and fighting to return to their normal lives. His novels ar ...more

Sam Capra (5 books)
  • Adrenaline (Sam Capra, #1)
  • The Last Minute (Sam Capra, #2)
  • Inside Man (Sam Capra, #4)
  • The First Order (Sam Capra, #5)
“Pôs um sorriso que uma faca poderia exibir se por acaso ganhasse vida.” 0 likes