Start by marking “Where Evil Waits (Mann Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Where Evil Waits (Mann Family, #2)

Where Evil Waits

(Mann Family #2)

A prosecutor and lifelong criminal work together to stop a killer in this edgy, sexy, suspenseful page-turner set in Atlanta.

SHE'LL RISK EVERYTHING
Special prosecutor Kara Chandler is very good at her job, so good that a homicidal mastermind vows to kill her and everyone she cares about. Desperate to save herself and her son, Kara seeks out cartel hit man Luke Varón. The l
Published February 25th 2014 by Forever (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Where Evil Waits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Evil Waits

Mojca
Kara Chandler is at her wits' end. Someone is sending her gifts, taunting her with messages of what she's supposedly done...But when the creep kills the policeman she's turned to for help and threatens her son, Kara knows she needs to take drastic measures. Enter Luke Varon, a hitman for a drug cartel, Kara had unsuccessfully prosecuted for murder. He has the resources to make her and her son disappear...But he's not who he appears to be.

This wasn't as strong as its predecessor which was a bit d
Saly
Rating 3.25 stars
Now, I had a lot of expectations from this book because we met the hero in the last book, an undercover agent, he's undercover in this one too masquerading as the bad guy. The heroine is a judge who thinks the hero is the bad guy. Now, this is where I had problems with the book, I mean the heroine is shown as strong, successful, rich and has a son but she remained married to a man who was constantly unfaithful to her, I kept wondering why? Why not get a divorce and set a good ex
Cindy ~
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Chilling. I loved the main characters of this book and their story but what kept me not wanting to put this down was the killer. He was down right creepy along with sick and perverted and just mezmorized you when he was on the pages. I liked every aspect of the book and am sad I'm finished. Lovers of romantic suspense this is the book for you.
Mei
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Another fantastic book in the series!

I hope this is not the last one, because the writing is fantastic and the stories too!

The story is complicated and fast paced almost as the first book in the series, but here we don't have a clear time limit that was stressed in the first book.

Here the pace is give by the speed with which the bodies are piling! WOW!

The hero, Luke, is Nick's brother that briefly appeared in the previous book, but he's so deep undercover that for almost 3/4 of the book the hero
Tammy
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is a book I won as a first reads. Thank you!!!

I was drawn in right away with Kara and her son Aidian. Luke is a supposed villain who Kara hires to fake her death and ends up helping her. They believe that the cartel killed her husband but are finding they are very wrong. Kara has a killer after her and many others. Quite a gripping tale that kept my interest all the way through. Grabs you right from the beginning and grips you til the end. I loved this mystery.
Yvonne
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
5 Star Romantic Suspense.
Kate Brady writes some of the best Heroes.
Myshelle
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second book in The Mann Family series and equally as good as the first. Light reading for a crime /romance novel.
Anita
**This review was written as a duo book review for both Mann Family books currently available.

Read the full review at Ani's Book Abyss | Series Review: Mann Family.

Book #1: Where Angels Rest | Rating:  3.5 Stars
Book #2: Where Evil Waits | Rating:  4.0 Stars

Series Average Rating:  3.75 Stars

At the end of the paperback for Where Evil Waits, there is an excerpt for a book called Where Danger Hides--the book is supposedly about Alayna Mann who makes an appearance in Where Angels Rest as an attorney
Ally
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy from Goodreads Firstreads.

Those two lovebirds, Kara Chandler and Luke Varon, are really adorable. Both of them. Cute, especially with Kara's fiery manner and Luke's sort of smug (there's no better words to describe it; how about this one: knowing things other people don't) attitude. It's like staring at two puppies for Christmas. Very cute, very aww!

The creeper. Sasha is the creeper/serial killer/villain of the book. A disgustingly good and skilled serial killer, Sasha is a hard on
Margreet Asselbergs
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it

My rating: 4 of 5 ⭐

It has been a year since ADA Kara Chandler's husband was killed in a hit and run and since then evidence has been growing that someone is after her and those she cares about. Her attempt to go to the police with her findings met with a devastating outcome and she fears there is only one avnue left open to her to save herself and her son.

In a last ditch effort to find help, she approaches the man she prosecuted a year ago on murder charg
Sue
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Where Evil Waits (Mann Family #2) by Kate Brady, people are dying around Kara. Thinking her husband's death was an accident, everything is in question now that Kara and her son are threatened. Receiving frightening 'gifts' and no longer safe, Kara, a prosecutor, seeks help from Luke. The one man who might be able to keep her safe.

Luke is deeply involved in the criminal world, and not someone Kara would usually find herself associating with. But there is more to him than meets the eye, and Luk
Kathy
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Where Evil Waits, Kate Brady's second installment in the Mann Family series, is a suspense-laden and perplexing mystery. While there is a romantic element to the storyline, the mystery aspect is the main focus of the novel.

In the year since her husband Andrew died after being struck by a drunk driver, Kara Chandler has reason to believe his death was no accident. After receiving the latest in a series of mysterious cards and gifts, Kara begins investigating his death but when it ends in tragedy
Jaime K
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this in a goodreads giveaway.

Prosecutor Kara Chandler lost her husband a year ago. She began to receive anonymous "gifts" that she decided to keep on a hunch. And recently she's been getting picture texts of dead people.
She turns to friends, only to have them killed. The murderer, her anonymous sender, blames her for his actions. When he threatens her son after the death of a close family friend, Kara finds Luke Varón - a known cartel hit man who slipped from her grasp in the past.

When sh
Larena
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Contemporary, Romantic Suspense, Atlanta Georgia

Kara Chandler is a special prosecutor that is very good at the job she does. Maybe a little too good as a mastermind that is homicidal has vowed to kill everyone she cares about and also Kara, herself. She is desperate to save herself and her son and the only way she sees to do that is by seeking out cartel hit man, Luke Varon. The last time she dealt with him was when she was prosecuting him and watched him beat the system and escape going to pris
Dísir

It isn't often that a book leaves me speechless and sorely wanting more after reading the last sentence.

Lukas Mann made a brief appearance in 'Where Angels Rest' and I hadn't thought too much of him until I dived straight into this book after finishing Nick's story. And when I thought I couldn't be any more surprised or in awe of Kate Brady's writing, Luke's story blew it out of the water.

Dangerous, sleek, smooth and such a bundle of intriguing contradictions, Luke has got to be one of the mos
Liz Clappin
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely an action packed book, with a nice pace and delectable detestable villain. The romance was a little unbelievable at points, I felt like I was getting whiplash a bit between the "I love him" "I hate him" moments, and I had a hard time relating to Luke as a character, there were a few scenes that definitely inspired empathy, but they were fleeting and the characterization seemed a little stunted to me. I did feel that if I had read some of Brady's previous novels I might feel differentl ...more
Tiffany
Feb 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Where do I start for how utterly uncomfortable and cliché this book is? First of all, there is no mystery involved whatsoever--the killer's identity and motivation is revealed right away and the supposed "plot twists" of the novel, I could see coming ten miles away. It's a basic damsel in distress turns to bad boy for help but it turns out bad boy actually has a heart of gold and she falls for him. God, how boring! I was about 2/3 of the way through the book when I said to myself, "I really don' ...more
Karla
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Someone has targeted Kara Chandler and it could be any one of many criminal types that she's put away as an assistant DA. She decides the best way to protect herself is to fake her and her son's deaths so that she can buy time to discover who wants her dead. She turns to Luke Varon, who was recently got off on a murder charge, to help her fake her death.

I really liked the character of "criminal Luke" even though he turns out to be one of the good guys. Kara is not a damsel in distress, she makes
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

Special Prosecutor Kara Chandler plays by the rules but when her life and her son's life is in jeopardy she does the unimaginable...she wants to hire Luke Varon - a hit man for the cartel and one that got away from her.

Luke decides to help the Chandler's disappear because he needs the same answers Kara is looking for but neither entirely trusts the other. As the two try to find the man behind the brutal murders of Kar
Moshi
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers, 2016-reads
I'm feeling ambivalent about this book. I don't dislike it yet I don't love it as much as her first 3 books. It's just too far fetch for me I suppose. Kara seems rather weak to me and Luke despite his appearance in Where angel lies where I liked him, I find him not realistic enough in this book. And Kara despite being a DA and everything is able to tolerate her husband's infidelity? And the only description that kept appearing in Luke's mind is how pretty Kara is... So umm forgive when I'm just ...more
Karen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book took me by surprise...now I have another great author to add to my shelves: As spine tingling as a Lisa Gardner book with military precision terminology as a Carla Neggers mystery/romantic suspense it is easy to see how Kate Brady warmed her way into my heart..I've since picked up her other 4 books and I am making my way down the list so I can stay current with her stories!! This book has: mystery, intrigue, HOT love scenes, and suspense that will keep you guessing all the way to the e ...more
Amanda
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads as an advanced copy.

Let me preface this with, I didn't read the first book in the series... That probably would have helped.

It took a little while to catch up, so please read the first book before reading this one.

I wish the dialogue between characters was a little more interesting. The author uses third person narration to play out the story, not dialogue.

If you like crime novels mixed with love stories, read this book. If you like just either/or, I'd recommend
Brooke
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Romantic Suspense is one of my favorite genres and this book was an excellent read! The characters were well developed, and there was plenty of suspense that kept me tearing through the pages. The plot has plenty of layers and twists and I loved the mystery that surrounded our hero.

I really enjoyed the flashback scenes involving our bad guy. Slowly revealing the backstory kept me guessing and turning pages. Kate Brady is a new favorite of mine in the Romantic Suspense genre. I will definitely b
Beth Owens
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
OMG. I totally for got to update my status on this book. I really like this book a lot. It hit close to home since I am from Atlanta. The characters were great and strong and I really like the chemistry between Luke and Kara. If I had one complaint it would be that the bad guy was killed way to easily for someone that had gone to that much trouble. Other than that the book was fast paced and exciting.
Debi
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book and I will definitely recommend it! What a thrilling story. The killer was very creepy (which always makes for a good suspense story)! The romance was wonderful. Kate Brady is a superb author and I have loved every one of her books! Can not wait until the next book comes out! I could go into more details about the book & story lines, but, simply put.....Kate Brady definitely writes a very chilling thrill ride of a book! Read it!!!!!
Wendy W
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Romantic Suspense
Prosecutor Kara Chandler has been receiving mysterious packages in the mail. Each time she makes a move to have these questionable packages investigated, a person is killed. What does she do ? She decides to fake her death. Who does she go to for help? None other than the man who she unsuccessfully prosecuted.

This may or may not be my first book by Ms. Brady. I sincerely hope it will not be my last. This was an excellent example of romantic suspense.
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was not a big fan of Brady's style of writing because I am not use to knowing who the perpetrator is right away but in this book it did not bother me as much because there were other surprises that you did not see coming right away and that is what made this book so enjoyable.
Alicia
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through goodreads and I absolutely loved it. I had a hard time putting it down. It was a real page turner and I really liked the main characters. I think it had just the right amount of romance mixed into the mystery and a very good plot. The killer was quite interesting… Don't want to say much more because I hate spoilers. But it was great!
Knitlbun
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. It arrived sometime between 2/20/14 and 2/22/14. Need to finish a library book before I can start this.
Finally started this book. It has already grabbed me. I'm sure it will be a quick read. This book was a lot of fun to read, suspenseful and creepy...in a good way.
Katy Budget Books
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Karen B says: As spine tingling as a Lisa Gardner book. Kate Brady has easily won a place in my top 5 romantic suspense authors. I am definitely going to be placing all her books on my shelves! This book has it all: intrigue, dark suspense, military terminology & spicy romance. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

• Badlands (Aftershock, #3)
  • Firestorm (Flashpoint #3)
  • Leave No Trace (Black Ops Inc., #5.5)
  • Darkness at Dawn
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Silver Sparks (Barringer's Pass #1)
  • Final Target (Dublin Mafia: Triskelion Team #1)
  • Dangerous Seduction (Nemesis, Unlimited, #2)
  • Hunter of Shadows (Moonlight, #5)
  • Night Moves (Shadow Force, #4)
  • The Assassin's Heart (The Assassins #1)
  • Soldier Under Siege (The Hunted, #1)
  • Stowaway
  • Skin Tight (Skin, #2)
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
  • The Broken (The Apostles, #1)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
Kate Brady began writing fiction when her doctoral research became tedious. For years, she wrote in the closet, penning several novels that—thankfully—remain there. Now, she leads a double life. Some days, she’s a choral conductor and professor of music education. Other days, she plays with imaginary people on her computer.

Kate lives in Atlanta with her husband, two children, and an array of furry

Mann Family (2 books)
  • Where Angels Rest (Mann Family, #1)